• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
We have heard a lot about how the SSDs might make a huge impact next gen in terms of improving loading. Thought It might be good to have a thread that shows all examples of how PS5s SSD is helping minimize loading in some next gen games prior to launch

Spiderman Miles Morales

NBA 2K

Demon Souls

Ratchet & Clank

Astrobot from Giantbomb quick look

www.youtube.com

The Cooling Springs of Astro's Playroom: PlayStation 5: Quick Look

Join Brad and Jeff as they say hello to a new generation by punching some rubber ducks.--------------------------------------------------------If you enjoyed...

Feel free to share other examples I may have missed!

Very excited about how SSDs will impact actual game design in the coming months/years.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the spider-man transition is really cool but i wonder if most warehouses will still have the fade to black, just no loading afterwards. for example i would be pleasantly surprised if they went back and added all those indoor / outdoor transitions for the original remastered game.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna see multiplatform games going head to head since Series X's loadings seem to be extremely fast, too.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm not sure if the Miles Morales one was stated by Insomniac as being an example of PS5 load times? It makes me curious to see how the PS4 version will be in that exact scenario. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The Spiderman was funny because I'm like, hmm the Twitter vid is only 29 secs we're running out of time here.

Then I'm like, oooooh. Only needed a second to get the point across.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I dont get whats happening in the PS4 Spiderman bit, he just stands there and it loads. In the MM version he physically leaves the building.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The 2k one is interesting considering they have giant ass adverts in their game, will this skip this now or is it a next gen feature?

The Spiderman one is a bit iffy, as we aren't sure what it is like on PS4 for that scenario. Using Spiderman the original game as a comparison seems a bit off when the game is on both to compare.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Good thread. I'm actually quite interested in how they handle Miles Morales on PS4. I assume it just does what PS4 Spider-Man did and he just stands in the warehouse and it fades to black.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, I'm with you guys. Most examples are impressive, but that Miles Morales one is fucking insane.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insane. I'm ready to leave loading screens behind.

Miles Morales Is just chef's kiss.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I dont get whats happening in the PS4 Spiderman bit, he just stands there and it loads. In the MM version he physically leaves the building.

So in PS4 exiting an indoor location transitions to a loading screen whereas I am assuming in the PS5 it does not because it loads the city instantly.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if the Miles Morales one was stated by Insomniac as being an example of PS5 load times? It makes me curious to see how the PS4 version will be in that exact scenario. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks time.
The PS4 version will either fade to black like the original game after you finish the mission, or fade to black in the pipe.

Either that, or they managed to load the nearest part of the city super quick on whatever hardware, but I doubt it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't believe loading screens are finally gone again. Bless Cerny.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Load times were the real bother of ps4 performance for me. Otherwise, I could play new games on if for another few years and be fine with it. This fast loading looks so gimme gimme tho.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crash Team Racing will be finally playable, I hated so much the loading times that I dropped it after a few days ç_ç I love SSDs

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just glad to be gone of the Spider-Man time of day shift loading screens. They took fucking ages and it was basically just to change the time, incredibly annoying.

Edit: I'm also interested in seeing the PS4 version of NBA and Spider-Man on PS5 to see how fast it loads.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Astro Bot was nice. At one point GB even went back to the game menu and went to different levels.

Looking good. Can't wait.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hopefully we have less forced walking exposition dump sections and squeezing through things!

So excited.

Ive held off playing so many ps4 games just for the quicker load times

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
These are impressive and it's going to be a huge quality of life improvement for games this generation.

But then I see people in another thread calling a 2.5 second fade to black load "slow." 🧐

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
God, these examples just blow my mind. The quick transitions are truly where Next Gen takes off. 4K and Ray-tracing are awesome, but the dramatic cut down of load times is where Next Gen truly shines.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I wonder if that spiderman example loades the whole world between button press and exiting the hole. Kinda doubt it, maybe its so fast due to much larger amount of ram rhan ps4 and it can keep it in ram.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
You know, I like the Spider-Man change, but I don't find it impressive, and I don't believe it is any show of an SSD. Quite frankly, why did they do it so you had a load screen to go into a box room?

Others are a much better show for sure.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Awesome

Lol @ NBA2K21 though. Maybe they didn't want to skip all of the fluff before the game, but If they don't let you skip it all in one button press, that's just bad man