• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Reese's Pieces in ET was a good pickup for Hershey's after M&Ms turned Spielberg down. Seemed like something a suburban family would have in their home and it drove sales like mad.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Playing Halo 5 inside the CIA.

The thing that weirded me out the most was that the game wasn't yet released when the movie came out.

Also Benjie should've setup his screen(s) facing away from the hallway. That is how you properly slack-off.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I normally dont care about or even notice product placement but this scene was just..

Just like that similarly terrible scene in World War Z.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread but Modern Family with Apple, fuck me it's annoying.

They've dedicated whole episodes and plot points to Apple products and services.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Remember in that Jumanji sequel where the main nerdy kid has like several posters of the same PS4 games (mostly Uncharted 4 and Last Guardian) placed around his room? Also then cut to popular social girl using her Sony Ericsson.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Watch Netflix's Rim of the World.
It has a 2 minute ad for Addidas in the middle of the movie for no reason at all. And the kids have the clothes for the entire last 3rd of the movie.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was in that show "Flashforward" or sth, one of those trying to ride the Lost popularity wave, that they showed more than once a kid playing Heavenly sword. Of course he wasn't fucking playing, it was a video. It's pain when they show somebody "playing" and they are not btw

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Season 3 being set in the mall already is going to facilitate a lot of product placement to boost your cg budget. But this scene, holy shit, the show just fucking stops for this bullshit.

This one in particular is pretty ironic I feel. It's an ad for a monumentally failed coke that lasted a few months and the only person there who likes it is Lucas. Everyone else is looking at him like he's insane.

May 9, 2018
I recall that the first Iron Man movie had a super awkward product placement for some car right in the middle of the final fight between Iron Man and the villain. The segment had a completely different cinematic look and feel than the surrounding scene which made it so extremely blatant and jarring.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Can't find a YouTube clip with all of placement, but how about Mitsubishi logos being prominent in ALL of Jackie Chan's modern day setting HK movies?

I swear that there was even a themed Mitsubishi MALL in Police Story 2.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The new Queer Eye season has some pretty obvious product placement at times even beyond the stores and the like that are featured. I don't think it ever feels out of place, I just noticed it more than I normally do this go round. I'm so sad we've already watched it all. :*(

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
In Season 2 of Designated Survivor, there's a moment where Maggie Q and her FBI boss are heading back to her car. They stop like 20 feet away.

She pulls out her phone and they zoom in on the Ford App which she uses to remote-start her car. Then they show the front of the car as it starts up and headlights turn on. Then they walk over to it and get in.

Like, it would have been a lot faster if you had just gotten in the damn car.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a game where the health stations were soda vending machines? Ballz, or something like that? (edit: Run Like Hell and Bawls!)

I happened to catch a few minutes of Jack & Jill and it was a scene littered with product placement. I thought it was a joke a la Wayne's World, but no, just straight product whoring.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 of Stranger Things had so much of this when it came to Burger King and Coca-Cola.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
In Season 2 of Designated Survivor, there's a moment where Maggie Q and her FBI boss are heading back to her car. They stop like 20 feet away.

She pulls out her phone and they zoom in on the Ford App which she uses to remote-start her car. Then they show the front of the car as it starts up and headlights turn on. Then they walk over to it and get in.

Like, it would have been a lot faster if you had just gotten in the damn car.

Bones was really bad about their product placement with Toyota (and in general). The last straw was when Booth and Bones were driving someplace and had a whole conversation about how street parking was tough in DC- but not with the new Toyota Camry and its backup camera and parking assist. Bones then proceeds to let the car park while she narrates and Booth chimes in with "wows" and grunts of approval. I didn't make it too much further with the show after that.

Nov 17, 2017
Another weird one from Final Fantasy XV that is a bit less obvious but still just as weird:

FFXV_AmericanExpress1_thumb.jpg

Half the places I go to don't accept American Express but you're saying they accept it at gas stations in Eos?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not sure who's the worst in this thread.

The people not getting the "unironic" concept? The people posting things that have already been posted multiple times? The shitposters?

No, it's all of you for forgetting about THE WIZARD. Literally a ninety minute advertisement for Nintendo. And you're on a gaming forum. And you all just forgot?

For shame!

Does the Wizard count, though? That was basically a Nintendo movie. They didn't "get away with it."

Somewhat tangential, but I still find it amazing how much advertising 2K puts into their NBA games. It's all related (well, except for Reeses Puffs) but they have people spending VC on shoes that you can barely see.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Another weird one from Final Fantasy XV that is a bit less obvious but still just as weird:

FFXV_AmericanExpress1_thumb.jpg

Half the places I go to don't accept American Express but you're saying they accept it at gas stations in Eos?

American Express advertises a TON in the UK, but I don't think I've ever been to a single place that accepts it lol

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sopranos and gobble-ghoul. They never shouted out a brand but I never heard of this meat before the show and spent money trying it twice to see what Tony and them were raving about.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think it was in that show "Flashforward" or sth, one of those trying to ride the Lost popularity wave, that they showed more than once a kid playing Heavenly sword. Of course he wasn't fucking playing, it was a video. It's pain when they show somebody "playing" and they are not btw

Yeah, that was on Heroes.

Oct 26, 2017
It can be done well. Sometimes there's a point in showing a closeup of a phone because something is happening on it, the only problem is phones all look the same now so they have to make a point of showing the logo. And I don't mind characters like Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne driving around in sports cars (the Murcielago was a stroke of genius) if they don't have a "low angle-car drives up to a perfect five second view of the front" shot. But anytime a character takes their time discussing a product - fuck that.

I think that's subconciously why most of my favourite movies are fantasy and/or animated. It's pretty damn hard to fit an ad in Lord of the Rings or Princess Mononoke. I don't think Cameron films generally have them either?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It can be done well. Sometimes there's a point in showing a closeup of a phone because something is happening on it, the only problem is phones all look the same now so they have to make a point of showing the logo. And I don't mind characters like Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne driving around in sports cars (the Murcielago was a stroke of genius) if they don't have a "low angle-car drives up to a perfect five second view of the front" shot. But anytime a character takes their time discussing a product - fuck that.

I think that's subconciously why most of my favourite movies are fantasy and/or animated. It's pretty damn hard to fit an ad in Lord of the Rings or Princess Mononoke. I don't think Cameron films generally have them either?

I remember on the Terminator 2 laserdisc that this chapter was called "Pepsi time"

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The Alan Wake dlc has a Verizon ad that is completely out of place. I don't even get Verizon ads in the UK so had no prior knowledge of the ads but it still stood out as very obvious.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on this one. It's definitely ironically used but its unironic in its usage if that makes sense?

Like, "we need to show these cars off this episode so why not do it in the most insanely obvious way possible that we can use as a cold opening and then get on with the show"

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I absolutely love the Days of our lives ones. They're basically on "who are you talking to?" Truman show level.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I don't mind stuff like the Subway insertions in Community or (especially) Chuck, as they generally make a joke out of it or do something silly, like Jeff's party sub eating contest.

Being Erica is a barely known little show and basically beyond obscure at this point, but the later season scene with the Ford test drive and auto-park demonstration was a literal commercial in the show, with no attempt to do anything to lighten it up or disguise it. It was gross.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Being Erica is a barely known little show and basically beyond obscure at this point, but the later season scene with the Ford test drive and auto-park demonstration was a literal commercial in the show, with no attempt to do anything to lighten it up or disguise it. It was gross.

Do you know what episode that's from? I binged the show last year and sorta' remember this. Looks like it was from season 4?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Do you know what episode that's from? I binged the show last year and sorta' remember this. Looks like it was from season 4?

I don't remember which episode, to be honest - it's been a while since I've seen the show. It's also kind of sad one of my most memorable scenes was a bad Ford commercial.

I confess my main motivation to watch the show was a continued crush on Erin Karpluk that I developed when I met her at my university.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix stuff is FULL of them, I think it's how they actually make money, besides the subs

Oct 28, 2017
Reese's Pieces in ET was a good pickup for Hershey's after M&Ms turned Spielberg down. Seemed like something a suburban family would have in their home and it drove sales like mad.
Was going to post this. It seemed like E.T. was the grandfather of modern product placement. Once it did that, it seemed to open the floodgates for that symbiotic relationship between movies and advertising, and the possibilities exploded from there.

I think the difference is that Spielberg arrived at the idea organically and needed some candy that he could use to leave leave a trail without getting Elliot's hands filthy with chocolate in the process of leaving it. I think that is why it worked so well here, rather than when they have to force a product into a production because of a contractual obligation agreed to prior to production by everyone but the actual storyteller.