• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Addressed what? That he worked for the company that he admired, but doesn't anymore because issues there clearly came to be too much?

What there is to address?
Apparently nothing. I very frequently criticize my employer/s especially while working for them. Apparently some folks don't see it that way. So I'm wondering what event brought him to speak out now? A cry for help from an ex colleague?

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know that? Because he screwed up with one of his tweets doesn't mean that everything he said was a lie, besides, he clearly was talking about the different person in his initial twitter chain.

It's funny how half of the thread is trying to discredit the guy using everything from one bad tweet to "He called them kids! He's an asshole!". Double funny since the same people defended Cooper after his much more disrespectful comments about Microsoft acquisitions last year.

He can both be an asshole and have the correct message. That's why I don't get what his latest tweets discredit what he said in the first place. They are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has he addressed this?

There is nothing to address. People are looking at this like an investigation or something. Jonathan is an extremely skilled animator that wants to work on the frontiers and doesn't want crunch to be a part of it. It's that simple. Furthermore, it's totally ok and normal for current ND employees to feel immense pride for their incredible work. For the employees, this is not a simple binary of "all good" or "all bad".

That all being said, crunch is brutal (been through it a couple times and it was nuts) and I do hope the Naughty Dogs can figure out a more sustainable workflow on the next project. Or unionize.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently nothing. I very frequently criticize my employer/s especially while working for them. Apparently some folks don't see it that way. So I'm wondering what event brought him to speak out now? A cry for help from an ex colleague?

Yeah, I think it's one thing to be happy with your job, but I always take people with a grain of salt when they celebrate their employer because good employers are extremely rare. They exist, but generally, things can be better in your job.

On a related note, my trade can have crunch periods, but they're voluntary and compensated appropriately. When Wrigley Field is doing remodeling in the off-season, guys at another company work 7 12 hour days in two crews (so work going on 24 hours a day). With our union contract, they're making something like 3-4x pay per week and they can stop whenever they want. I've heard of guys making down payments on houses with just this work and we don't live in a cheap area.

Salaried employees (especially game devs) usually don't get that kind of overtime pay.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as said in my post, it was before that.
But anyway, regardless of whether he is an asshole or not doesn't change the rest of my message: he's talking about crunch in a reply, and is focusing his tweet as if his coworkers were attacked (when they aren't) rather than their crunch culture. Aka he doesn't actually care that much about crunch.

Can you really tell him how to feel about Cooper's tweets though? Pretty sure he said that crunch sucks in his twitter thread. Trying to frame this dude as an asshole with no evidence for it is also not a good look.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Yeah, I think it's one thing to be happy with your job, but I always take people with a grain of salt when they celebrate their employer because good employers are extremely rare. They exist, but generally, things can be better in your job.

On a related note, my trade can have crunch periods, but they're voluntary and compensated appropriately. When Wrigley Field is doing remodeling in the off-season, guys at another company work 7 12 hour days in two crews (so work going on 24 hours a day). With our union contract, they're making something like 3-4x pay per week and they can stop whenever they want. I've heard of guys making down payments on houses with just this work and we don't live in a cheap area.

Salaried employees (especially game devs) usually don't get that kind of overtime pay.
Word that's where I stay the line myself. My company has been in crunch since the beginning of the year I have worked 6 day weeks anywhere from 10-14 hours each day. I work in manufacturing, we had a recent price hike so that's why we're crunching. But it reflects in my pay which I complain about until I see that bag.

That's what's unacceptable to me here they're not getting the bag for killing themselves.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing to address. People are looking at this like an investigation or something. Jonathan is an extremely skilled animator that wants to work on the frontiers and doesn't want crunch to be a part of it. It's that simple. Furthermore, it's totally ok and normal for current ND employees to feel immense pride for their incredible work. For the employees, this is not a simple binary of "all good" or "all bad".

That all being said, crunch is brutal (been through it a couple times and it was nuts) and I do hope the Naughty Dogs can figure out a more sustainable workflow on the next project. Or unionize.

Unfortunately it seems Naughty Dogs is not intending to change anything, and even if they want, it will have to be a very big change, as the culture is pretty deep rooted.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Can you really tell him how to feel about Cooper's tweets though? Pretty sure he said that crunch sucks in his twitter thread. Trying to frame this dude as an asshole with no evidence for it is also not a good look.
Yeah, I don't think we should be calling/insinuating that current ND employees are assholes, or invalidating their feelings, for trying to boost each other up after, I guess, getting kind of slighted by Cooper (which I'm sure wasn't entirely intentional and meant to hurt anyone other than ND's upper management - but just worded rather callously in an attempt to double down on the studio's alleged difficulty in locking down senior talent).

While none of the employees have directly addressed the crunch culture, it's worth noting that none of then have said anything to refute it either. The closest thing we got was Boon Cotter agreeing that crunch sucks to one of the replies to his tweets and Alexandria Neonakis going off on Cooper for dragging his former coworkers into his crusade and subsequently making it difficult for any of them to know what they can and can't say about the issue as current employees.

And, tbf, twitter isn't really the most appropriate place for currently employed individuals to air workplace grievances. This is an issue that will probably be addressed internally; but we may end up having to wait for the sequel to Jason's investigative article to see whether or not ND have taken effective steps to work on their unhealthy crunch practices.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately it seems Naughty Dogs is not intending to change anything, and even if they want, it will have to be a very big change, as the culture is pretty deep rooted.

I imagine they're already in pre production of their next game to prove what PS5 hardware can do visually too whether it's a new IP, a new Uncharted or they're even moving straight on to TLOU III if they expect to spend six years on their next AAAA game.

Things will stay the same or get even worse with much stronger hardware. They will be moving from a 1.8tflop GPU base on PS4 to a 9-12tflop GPU base on PS5 in terms of raw visual fidelity. Crazy realism and development times ahead for them as well as most current AAA developers.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I said "in the past". But again, seems like some people would rather stick on this part of the post rather than acknowledging he's focusing on defending his coworkers that weren't attacked at all.
Saying "crunch is bad" while saying "we're doing the best stop attacking ND" is pretty useless.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every studio in the industry has crunch time, you don't get to release games at the level ND does by working 9 to 5 M to F, do i like it? Of course not, but it is the trend in the industry and i see it very difficult for it to stop.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Every studio in the industry has crunch time, you don't get to release games at the level ND does by working 9 to 5 M to F, do i like it? Of course not, but it is the trend in the industry and i see it very difficult for it to stop.

We often speak about Naughty Dog, Rockstar or CDProjekt for crunch but some more obscure game have crunch too.

Or here a game never released with 120 hours week of work:

After crunch seems unavoidable but it is possible to mitigate it:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I said "in the past". But again, seems like some people would rather stick on this part of the post rather than acknowledging he's focusing on defending his coworkers that weren't attacked at all.
Saying "crunch is bad" while saying "we're doing the best stop attacking ND" is pretty useless.
Just calling someone asshole and pretending that its coz something happened sometime before which u cant recall, how convenient. Nothing much to make fuss over the guy's tweets. He said crunch is bad he said he loves his work. You got a problem? His dam choice. The only asshole im seeing here isn't him but someone else who tried to frame the developer as something negative and went on ranting about tweets that dont have much to fuss over. Acknowledge your own mistake.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I understand that the game has to work and crunch might be necessary if there are significant bugs to fix, but I wonder how much people have to crunch for all that ludicrous amount of frankly unnecessary detail ND puts in their games. Like having photorealistic wrinkles on Ellie's hand while she plays guitar or something. I hope these people aren't sacrificing their time for such minutia, although they probably are.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Just calling someone asshole and pretending that its coz something happened sometime before which u cant recall, how convenient. Nothing much to make fuss over the guy's tweets. He said crunch is bad he said he loves his work. You got a problem? His dam choice. The only asshole im seeing here isn't him but someone else who tried to frame the developer as something negative and went on ranting about tweets that dont have much to fuss over. Acknowledge your own mistake.
I won't acknowledge a "mistake" that I haven't made if you actually bother reading my posts, sorry.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand that the game has to work and crunch might be necessary if there are significant bugs to fix, but I wonder how much people have to crunch for all that ludicrous amount of frankly unnecessary detail ND puts in their games. Like having photorealistic wrinkles on Ellie's hand while she plays guitar or something. I hope these people aren't sacrificing their time for such minutia, although they probably are.

its safe to say Naughty Dogs' crunch isnt your ordinary last minute crunch, considering the many underlining cultural issues. Any other studio wouldnt withhold game development decisions in an attempt to create work sabotage, to manipulate other people to crunch.

Oct 25, 2017

So what if he's defending his co-workers? What Jonathan said came off as condescending to him and what looks like a good amount of the team.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Dice doesn't crunch and they make some of the best games in the industry. Granted the games they put are different from what ND puts out but they do not crunch from what I understand.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dice doesn't crunch and they make some of the best games in the industry. Granted the games they put are different from what ND puts out but they do not crunch from what I understand.

DICE doesn't officially crunch and appears to be far better than most about it, but there are a few employee reviews on Glassdoor that specifically bring up or complain about crunch nonetheless.

"There is a lot of shadow crunching going on. Typically, you are not "forced" to work but no one else is going to do your work for you so if you are not on deadline that will reflect bad on you, even if the deadline is completely unrealistic. Most of the time the tools are broken and they are a hassle to debug. A lot of times something breaks and it can take several hours to get fixed. "

"Over reliance on a few people - while most people don't need to crunch it invariably falls on a few to burn the midnight oil and pull things together and those are the ones who suffer the most"

"Crunch and crunch. Studio claimed to have stopped crunching when I joined, but the crunch was inevitable from the start. No paid overtime of course."

"Crunch is fairly low. Some intense periods during a project happen, almost guaranteed but not that much usually."

DICE (Sweden) Reviews: What Is It Like to Work At DICE (Sweden)?

55 DICE (Sweden) reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
DICE doesn't officially crunch and appears to be far better than most about it, but there are a few employee reviews on Glassdoor that specifically bring up or complain about crunch nonetheless.

"There is a lot of shadow crunching going on. Typically, you are not "forced" to work but no one else is going to do your work for you so if you are not on deadline that will reflect bad on you, even if the deadline is completely unrealistic. Most of the time the tools are broken and they are a hassle to debug. A lot of times something breaks and it can take several hours to get fixed. "

"Over reliance on a few people - while most people don't need to crunch it invariably falls on a few to burn the midnight oil and pull things together and those are the ones who suffer the most"

"Crunch and crunch. Studio claimed to have stopped crunching when I joined, but the crunch was inevitable from the start. No paid overtime of course."

"Crunch is fairly low. Some intense periods during a project happen, almost guaranteed but not that much usually."

55 DICE (Sweden) reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
That and the quality of their games is far from Naughty Dogs. So while they may "shadow crunch" it tells they dont crunch like other studios.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That and the quality of their games is far from Naughty Dogs. So while they may "shadow crunch" it tells they dont crunch like other studios.
All things considered, I don't think there's any point in comparing subjective quality when they're making completely different games.

DICE's focus is on multiplayer while Naugty Dog's on singleplayer, and they have wildly different standards in their respective genre.

Last edited:

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Fair enough. I hadn't heard any talk from Dice about crunch. But that does feel a bit iffy. One review says, tons and tons of crunch. Another review says we had to crunch "is fairly low". Hard to get a read on it.

I will take issue with that. ND hasn't made a game that shoots as well as BF4 let alone BF1 or BF5. Granted they make different kinds of games so maybe the comparison isn't fair, but I just know if we are talking moment to moment gameplay mechanics. Dice's games feel better to play in general to me.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I will take issue with that. ND hasn't made a game that shoots as well as BF4 let alone BF1 or BF5. Granted they make different kinds of games so maybe the comparison isn't fair, but I just know if we are talking moment to moment gameplay mechanics. Dice's games feel better to play in general to me.
I'm talking mainly about how terribly buggy their games are on release even in the single player narrative driven components. They are also slow on content and fixing major issues always have been.

You can't really compare "quality" when they're making completely different games. It's basically multiplayer vs. singleplayer.
I mean you can compare it directly with there other direct competitors in the online multiplayer shooter world. Each of these other developers are known for hard crunch, DICE does smaller crunch cycles that aren't really heavy at all. But it shows many because EA isn't really all that down for delays like Sony

Feb 23, 2019
What's creepy is calling any of this abuse. if you polled anyone at ND, I bet you none would call it anything like that at all

Just a team proud of hard work paying off, but you guys act like that's something to be ashamed of just because they didn't clock in a 9-5

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

this shit is getting beyond creepy now...the tweets where uncomfortable, but now it's getting on levels of abuser who abused buys gifts to say sorry. It's makng my skiing crawl beyond all comprehension.

If you want to use that line of thinking every job that has crazy over time and crunch buy gifts or do something for the for the abused .
Like those end of the year parties or when they finish a job etc etc .

What's creepy is calling any of this abuse. if you polled anyone at ND, I bet you none would call it anything like that at all
the people who talk to jason say otherwise.
If you want to use that line of thinking every job that has crazy over time and crunch buy gifts or do something for the for the abused .
Like those end of the year parties or when they finish a job etc etc .
so you don't find it suspect that all of this praise is coming after an exposure article came out? Because it's super weird to me.

exstuhsey

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 7, 2019

so you don't find it suspect that all of this praise is coming after an exposure article came out? Because it's super weird to me.
Yet if no one responds it'll be "OMG they're not saying anything everything is true Abuse Abuse Abuse!!!"

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

ND has been doing tweets for TLOU2 for years about how good , amazing , hard etc etc it has been .
Even Copper that made those tweets did some when he was working there.

Feb 23, 2019
Wait, so you are saying EVERY employee at naughty dog hates working there?

Apparently they're all slaving away and working more than 40 hours a week (of their own volition) is akin to torture

Sometimes I wonder if these posters making such claims actually hold down stead employment and know the realities of the workplace in any job.

Must be maddening if you're a ND employee hearing this stuff on social media. Imagine if those kind of comments made it out there by coworkers at your job?

That Cooper guy sure does seem like a swell individual

exstuhsey

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 7, 2019
Apparently they're all slaving away and working more than 40 hours a week (of their own volition) is akin to torture

Sometimes I wonder if these posters making such claims actually hold down stead employment and know the realities of the workplace in any job.

Must be maddening if you're a ND employee hearing this stuff on social media. Imagine if those kind of comments made it out there by coworkers at your job?

Bold of you to assume some posters here have been employed to begin with.

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory commentary
I see crunch time as the final push to win over a big battle. If you dont survive, you're out and if you do, it defines you and the games you make. Most of the ambitious AAA titles go through it. As for this guy, he was weak in handling this situation.

Wait, so you are saying EVERY employee at naughty dog hates working there?
No, i just think it's weird that all of this praise & toasting is coming after the kotaku article.

so your just gonna ignore the people in Jason's article about how they felt pressure?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
No, i just think it's weird that all of this praise & toasting is coming after the kotaku article.

so your just gonna ignore the people in Jason's article about how they felt pressure?

Not going to ignore them..they're not with the company anymore, right?

It wasn't for them and they moved on. The pace may have been too much. For others? It may be fine.

Not everyone is going to react the same way to a given work environment

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
This thread reminds me of a story some of the Sony SM devs were talking and laughing about during an E3 party where if I remember the jest of it, one of the GoW team members went up to a Sony exec to shmooze and brown nose and after he introduced himself as part of the GoW SM team, the drunk exec picked up the dev by the collar and said something to the effect of "do you know how much you fuckers are costing me every week?" or some such before putting him down and walking away. Sony is definitely all in on these 1st and 2nd party game budgets from what I hear.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I see crunch time as the final push to win over a big battle. If you dont survive, you're out and if you do, it defines you and the games you make. Most of the ambitious AAA titles go through it. As for this guy, he was weak in handling this situation.

this is dumb. it's not a battle, it's a job making video games. If you think treating a job like this as a battle is ok, don't be surprised when 70% of a team burns out, leaves, and rightly exposes it.

There's just no excuse, it's bad management.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me of a story some of the Sony SM devs were talking and laughing about during an E3 party where if I remember the jest of it, one of the GoW team members went up to a Sony exec to shmooze and brown nose and after he introduced himself as part of the GoW SM team, the drunk exec picked up the dev by the collar and said something to the effect of "do you know how much you fuckers are costing me every week?" or some such before putting him down and walking away. Sony is definitely all in on these 1st and 2nd party game budgets from what I hear.
source?