• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't, but it shows he isn't doing this out of the best interest of the people who are being affected by this.

A lot of this feels like disgruntled ex-employee stuff especially with the fact he diminishes the ability of the new hires ND gets.

No it doesnt. Anyone who has even the slightest experience with larger corporations knows that the approach of signing a ton of inexperienced contractors leads to extra work, crunch and mistakes.
Obviously one of said inexperienced devs is going to get pissed being called kids, but having inexperienced devs feels like working with kids.
Before this job I worked in a rather high position in car development for one of the biggest aluminum production companies in the world and we created and developed designs for BMW, Porshe, Lamborghini etc. At some point management decided to, instead of treating the experienced workers and devs properly to simply replace them with new hungry talent. These new workers and devs where talented and wanted to prove to the world that they rocked. But experience matters a great deal more than people here seem to think. I was in charge of logistics for our biggest customer BMW, and working with these new developers was like working with kids just coming from school because they had no fucking clue how the business works, and obviously that added mistakes, and work time and crunch for everyone fixing their mistakes.
Thats what I get out of his tweets.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the fanboys and defenders are focusing on the one weakness of his point to distract from his very valid overall point. Dude fucked up but even the person snapping back at him clearly isn't denying the underlying issues.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Unless his team works via twitter, I doubt he's doing damage control to keep morale up in the team.
Damage control is done internally (cf the internal mail at Rockstar after Schreier's article on those conditions last time), and if this is supposed to be damage control, he's failing miserably at doing it.

edit: that said, looking at the number of likes on those tweets, and how fanboys are behaving online, this certainly works to attack other developers instead.

Leads to tons of people missing the point.

Yeah, these are some stupid tweets, especially since nintendo teams are known for their crunch.

The visuals of a game does not tell you whether there has been crunch or not. Indie devs crunch even more than AAA studios.

Anyway, putting blame on Neil for how fanboys behave is quite a stretch.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
User Banned (2 weeks): Hostility towards other members, history of similar behaviour
Seriously the first party defenders are f*cking pathetic, I bet they are jumping up & down right now screaming ''GOT HIM!''

I've yet to see a more toxic & disgusting fanbase that's willing to overlook all controversies just to support their gods

meanwhile, Neil & his heads laugh at the plebs fighting on the ground.

Yep Neil is totally laughing cause that's exactly the kind of sad person he is.

Last edited:

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I like how the fanboys and defenders are focusing on the one weakness of his point to distract from his very valid overall point. Dude fucked up but even the person snapping back at him clearly isn't denying the underlying issues.

People really think these corporations are their friends and stand for "good". We COULD have had corporations like that in the states if we had the laws set up, but greed is the main export, and money is the import.

I love ND's games, but obviously them and some of my other favorite devs are taking advantage of workers.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
He made a shout out to hire them, if their contracts expire.

No? How did you came to the conclusion that I think it's all good because he deleted it. It's a bullshit tweet, that's why I said beside that particular tweet.
Just asking questions to clarify. havent come to any conclusion

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've always thought the term "kid" is pretty insulting when said by someone with similar age and experience.

Barring that though, if someone much older than me called me a kid, I wouldn't take it in an offensive way.

But that's just me, and I can see why others would react differently.

BlacJack22

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 25, 2020
A company actually did get shit on and the union hall almost took away their apprentices from my entering class because they laid off 20-30 guys when they got 30 apprentices. Replacing senior employees with junior ones is both shitty and short-sighted.

It's not insulting to say that less experienced employees are going to require training to be as effective as the senior employees. It's a fact.

Of course it's fact, that's why him putting people on blast like that comes off as rude. There is no point in saying it as wrecklessly as he did and it will make him no friends in future workplaces. Like, no shit things would be better if everyone was an expert. He has no reason to publically blast co-workers because he is mad at mismanagement. Employee turnover is a thing EVERYWHERE.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these are some stupid tweets, especially since nintendo teams are known for their crunch.

The visuals of a game does not tell you whether there has been crunch or not. Indie devs crunch even more than AAA studios.

Anyway, putting blame on Neil for how fanboys behave is quite a stretch.

I don't think that's true. I remember Tetsuya Takahashi said that it's much easier for them to avoid crunch now that they're part of Nintendo. I'm sure it absolutely still happens though.

People really think these corporations are their friends and stand for "good". We COULD have had corporations like that in the states if we had the laws set up, but greed is the main export, and money is the import.

I love ND's games, but obviously them and some of my other favorite devs are taking advantage of workers.

It's not just the US though, it happens worldwide and whilst it's unrelated you can bet corporations are going to use the ramifications of COVID-19 to their advantage. It's actually quite a worry that my department's lifespan might shorten because if the contingency plan we have becomes the accepted norm it might be better for the company to cut us completely. I would probably be re-assigned but I don't think my colleagues would be so lucky.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I've always thought the term "kid" is pretty insulting when said by someone with similar age and experience.

Barring that though, if someone much older than me called me a kid, I wouldn't take it in an offensive way.

But that's just me, and I can see why others would react differently.
How old are you? And how old does the person have to be to be able to call you a kid?

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Druckmann's tweets in context with Alexandria's make a little more sense now. It doesn't excuse the lack of acknowledgement of the studio's crunch culture, but I think it's better communicated outside of twitter anyway.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Of course it's fact, that's why him putting people on blast like that comes off as rude. There is no point in saying it as wrecklessly as he did and it will make him no friends in future workplaces. Like, no shit things would be better if everyone was an expert. He has no reason to publically blast co-workers because he is mad at mismanagement. Employee turnover is a thing EVERYWHERE.
Are we talking about his original string of posts here? Where he wasn't insulting anyone but the management?
How old are you? And how old does the person have to be to be able to call you a kid?
I'm 26. If someone in their 40s or up referred to me as a kid I wouldn't get up in arms (depending on context too, of course).
Subjective, I know.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

I'm 30 (to be fair, I look young) and I get called a kid all the time by older guys. It's not meant as an insult.

The way those original tweets read (without his later context) and his following tweets clearly made the case for him. There are much better ways to word this than the way he did. Communication isn't his strong suit, and this is the result.

More concern about this guy burning bridges than the situation at ND makes your posts kinda disingenuous.

BlacJack22

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 25, 2020
Are we talking about his original string of posts here? Where he wasn't insulting anyone but the management?

The way those original tweets read (without his later context) and his following tweets clearly made the case for him. There are much better ways to word this than the way he did. Communication isn't his strong suit, and this is the result.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like why did this guy have to go and throw a tantrum like this? He had good points and now he is completely discredited.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

His communication ain't half as bad as Naughty Dog's management & morality though.

We have more than enough evidence to say that Naughty Dog is terrible place to work at.
Amy & Bruce didn't left just for giggles, and Johnathan didn't get pissed off for no reason.

The fact is, Naughty Dog has become something horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesnt. Anyone who has even the slightest experience with larger corporations knows that the approach of signing a ton of inexperienced contractors leads to extra work, crunch and mistakes.
Obviously one of said inexperienced devs is going to get pissed being called kids, but having inexperienced devs feels like working with kids.
Before this job I worked in a rather high position in car development for one of the biggest aluminum production companies in the world and we created and developed designs for BMW, Porshe, Lamborghini etc. At some point management decided to, instead of treating the experienced workers and devs properly to simply replace them with new hungry talent. These new workers and devs where talented and wanted to prove to the world that they rocked. But experience matters a great deal more than people here seem to think. I was in charge of logistics for our biggest customer BMW, and working with these new developers was like working with kids just coming from school because they had no fucking clue how the business works, and obviously that added mistakes, and work time and crunch for everyone fixing their mistakes.
Thats what I get out of his tweets.

And that's based on your perspective based on your experience. I am well aware of companies throwing talent at a rapid pace into a meat grinder and replacing them constantly.

However, he is still diminishing those new hires abilities. I have no issues with anything else he said, but the way he is dragging those new hires rubbed me the wrong way. And that ND employee calling him out on that echoes my sentiment.

He's dragging individuals instead of the company.

Just like how some people in this thread are trying to place all the blame onto Neil Druckmann

BlacJack22

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 25, 2020
I'm 30 (to be fair, I look young) and I get called a kid all the time by older guys. It's not meant as an insult.

More concern about this guy burning bridges than the situation at ND makes your posts kinda disingenuous.

Not at all, and him burning bridges isn't my concern either, him being an asshole to coworkers in public is. I feel that was pretty clear...

I've addressed the crunch earlier, and I already directly commented that I see his "intent" on his tweets. I'm literally saying he is helping no one in his approach.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
And that's based on your perspective based on your experience. I am well aware of companies throwing talent at a rapid pace into a meat grinder and replacing them constantly.

However, he is still diminishing those new hires abilities. I have no issues with anything else he said, but the way he is dragging those new hires rubbed me the wrong way. And that ND employee calling him out on that echoes my sentiment.

Just like how some people in this thread are trying to place all the blame onto Neil Druckmann

Sorry, I don't know ND hierarchy but who is part of leadership/management of ND? Those persons have the responsibility for this and well, parent company as well.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You are pretty lenient. I definitly would not allow people to call me a kid with just a 10 or something year age gap.
Truthfully, this is largely because of where I'm at in my life right now. If I was fully comfortable in a respectable profession, then I don't think I'd be as lenient. But as I'm still trying to make something of anything, when people call me out I don't take it as personally. Maybe because I agree with them a little bit? I don't know, though I do know I need to work on my self confidence.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So there was some more conversation in the tweets.

unknown.png

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
He's coming more and more like an elitist douche.
Crunch is terrible but boycotting the game ? Making these years of hardwork amount to nothing ? No thanks.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

The only thing I read he called them very talented? Obviously they are not going to be as effective as seasoned devs. It's not a dig it's simple facts.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
He's coming more and more like an elitist douche.
Crunch is terrible but boycotting the game ? Making these years of hardwork amount to nothing ? No thanks.

If you're concerned about supporting these work practices towards the people making your favourite games, please continue to call studios out but don't feel obliged to boycott the games. Sales pay for employee bonuses. Just not for contractors, most of which were let go this week

You guys are so hung up on defending ND that you aren't even reading this stuff.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Truthfully, this is largely because of where I'm at in my life right now. If I was fully comfortable in a respectable profession, then I don't think I'd be as lenient. But as I'm still trying to make something of anything, when people call me out I don't take it as personally. Maybe because I agree with them a little bit? I don't know, though I do know I need to work on my self confidence.
Not my place to give advice and its true thats its easier to garner respect with more experience and a stable professional carrier.