• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Addressing just this aspect of Jonathan Cooper's thread and none of the other stuff like animators being hospitalized due to overwork is a terrible look imo.

it's because it's true, Neil is also speaking the truth there (even Cooper says the game will be great and with top tier animation), but as Jason's article was asking, at what cost and is it worth it?

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Instant industry pariah. Effective in limiting your career.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

Dunno why Barlog felt the need to chime in here.

because he thinks crunch is passion.

www.resetera.com

Giant Bomb asked Cory Barlog about recent Labor Issue debate in video game industry

edit: timestamp 46:08. it is a audio interview, no spoiler in the interview, interviewer didn't finish the game really don't want to quote directly from the audio, I am lazy and just want people to go to GB website. edit: It is the last question in the interview, about in the last 8 minutes...

2 months before launch, GOW had 3000 bugs that were fixed w/o delays. think about those crazy 60 days...

EDIT: or he is REALLY naive and is responding only to the animator's praise that Neil speaks, which i doubt.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly he's taking a swipe at this thread but those metrics within the 3 hours since he posted it are kinda staggering.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
because he thinks crunch is passion.

www.resetera.com

Giant Bomb asked Cory Barlog about recent Labor Issue debate in video game industry

edit: timestamp 46:08. it is a audio interview, no spoiler in the interview, interviewer didn't finish the game really don't want to quote directly from the audio, I am lazy and just want people to go to GB website. edit: It is the last question in the interview, about in the last 8 minutes...

2 months before launch, GOW had 3000 bugs that were fixed w/o delays. think about those crazy 60 days...

EDIT: or he is REALLY naive and is responding only to the animator's praise that Neil speaks, which i doubt.
and Barlog used to be an animator before be become director IRC.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
btw the hammer flip is amazing and was done by Lee Davis.

edit: sorry for gushing over the animation too.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So if crunch didn't exist, how much longer would it take to make AAA games, or how much more would it cost to hire additional staff (% increase)?
People aren't running efficiently doing 80 hours a week. They aren't solving any problems, only exacerbating them. Because all that sloppy work your drained workers are doing ultimately are going to lead to other bugs, or in the case of animation, needing revision work that further strains your already strained team.

I fucking pulled ludicrous hours for so long that the stress caused a severe head-to-toe eczema reaction, and now I literally wear my stress on my face.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
The military and the video game business operate quite differently, and are both quite different.

You can't just say "they can quit to send a message," finding a job in game development isn't all that easy.

And yeah you can't do those things but you know what you signed up for by joining the military. This is a civilian job and it's to make a game. ND can do better, they are at fault here as well.

I clearly said I chose this job, but no nobody knows what they signed up for in military. You can ask anybody that's been in for quite some time is it what they thought or told it would be be and their answer would likely be no.

And if you can say I knew what I signed up for you can say the same for ND employees, but nobody truly knows until they are actually in the position.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
He's definitely right. The animators really did great on the animations of the game. Jonathan's "my ex coworkers animation skills suck" statement was def bullshit and a dick move to his ex colleagues, imo. So I'm quite behind Neil's "Our animators are awesome" statement.

That being said, as a dev myself, I do hope the crunching decreases somewhat.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
He's definitely right. The animators really did great on the animations of the game. Jonathan's "my ex coworkers animation skills suck" statement was def bullshit and a dick move to his ex colleagues, imo. So I'm quite behind Neil's "Our animators are awesome" statement.

jesus fucking christ

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He never said that. You know he didnt, so stop acting like he did.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am fighting the urge to be a prick and avatar quote right now

but seriously, not the time and place to gush about animations

My avitar is a representation of a game I'm hyped for. Nothing less or more. That aside, I edited the post. The animations have been discussed in both threads about the topic. And even though none of the previous posts about the animation quality have been offesive to me, again, I've removed my post about it.

btw the hammer flip is amazing and was done by Lee Davis.

edit: sorry for gushing over the animation too.

No apologies needed but apparently this is the wrong thread for the animation to be discussed so lets move that elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
He's definitely right. The animators really did great on the animations of the game. Jonathan's "my ex coworkers animation skills suck" statement was def bullshit

Except he praised their skills, he complained about replacing senior animators with junior animators (or even animators from outside the video game industry) and their lack of experience. Jeez guys, read and understand the text before you start commenting it.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you really need the read the full twitter thread

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

What a nightmare... Jesus :o

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

Can't wait to play - probably - the best game of generation from the best studio in the industry.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
these also from ND employees (or former employees):

• Bad Estimation of workloads and bad organization leads to too many work hours. Not great for overall health and family on the long run if you are not careful about setting limits (Dec 2019)
  • Crunch hours consisted of staying at the studio for large amounts of time (Oct 2019)
  • Management doesn't communicate with each other and no one seems to take deadlines seriously, often leading to confusing, conflicting and often contradicting direction/feedback at the last minute. - the crunch hours are awful. This has been the worst/longest crunch I've ever been part of.... (Oct 2019)
  • Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch (Dec 2018)
  • Some times the crunch are necessary. (Nov 2018)
  • The only downside is the crunch is brutal most of the time, although they realize it and they are trying harder to fix it, which is nice. Lots of late hours and there's some pressure to stay late even though they can't exactly order you to stay late or come in on the weekend because that would be (Nov 2017)

Tons of evidence ->

Evaluaciones de Naughty Dog: ¿cómo es trabajar allí?

3 evaluaciones de Naughty Dog. Información desde adentro sobre evaluaciones y sueldos de Naughty Dog publicada anónimamente por los empleados.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Can't wait to play - probably - the best game of generation from the best studio in the industry.

Is it really the best studio in the industry with practices like the ones shown in the Kotaku article and the tweets the OP shared?
If so, our standards are REALLY low. We have to be better in this industry, and sacrificing people's lifes so we have fun games is not worth it.