• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why is everyone taking this as if it was a proven fact, tho? I mean, it's the word of an ex employee who seemed to be pretty happy with his job a year ago and now seems pretty bitter about leaving...
Because this is not the first time we've heard similar stories about ND and pretty much several big AAA studios in the industry, that's why it's not hard to believe.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I want to see a story written about how great working at a particular developer is...all I hear are negative experiences about BioWare, Valve, Naughty Dog etc

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Please refrain from using tweets to discredit and downplay the subject of the thread

Hmmm, Strange

Because here's what he said about why he left ND and that's because of a new clause in Sony's contracts and he actually admitted that ND tried their best to help him.

Another positive tweetabout ND

So which is it?

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of embarrassing posts from people who haven't worked at ND immediately defending them from someone who did work there. Crunch culture sucks ass and withholding a paycheck is dirty.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
But he isn't doing that. He literally says repeatedly that both of those groups are fantastic. What he is saying is that there is a skill gap. Which yes, there is between Senior and Junior staff. He points out how it is a big problem since ND had to hire so much Junior staff the Senior staff was occupied with training them instead of working on the game. He isn't shitting on the people, he shits on the management for creating a bad company culture where the balance between new and experienced people is completely out of whack
The point he's making is:

1. The culture at ND is so bad they can't retain senior talent...
2. Word has gotten around that it sucks to work there, and thus no senior level games people want the job, so...
3. They've hired a ton of people at junior level from outside the industry, making the game take longer to come out because so many talented people are playing catch up because they don't have experience with this specific job.

His entire point is about management treating employees like garbage and not a dig at his coworkers at all.
Did either of you read his entire comment chain? He repeatedly questions the skill level of these employees. Just because he said "they're awesome" doesn't negate the fact he threw in a caveat and said "but.....", which you seem to be wilfully ignoring.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
A more senior team would have shipped a game that needed more time?

He's saying it wouldn't have needed as much time if they hired experienced staff, because a lot of hires were junior and/or outside of game industry which meant some needed a longer start up time to be trained. A team with more experienced senior staff would operate more efficiently.

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm, Strange

Because here's what he said about why he left ND and that's because of a new clause in Sony's contracts and he actually admitted that ND tried their best to help him.

So which is it?

Yeah, this isn't simply a black and white issue.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Why is everyone taking this as if it was a proven fact, tho? I mean, it's the word of an ex employee who seemed to be pretty happy with his job a year ago and now seems pretty bitter about leaving...
Naughty Dog and heavy crunching isn't exactly a new and fresh topic. It's like ex-CDPR developer talking about crunch, would you act surprised then too?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Hmmm, Strange

So which is it?

So we're still digging through tweet history to demonize the guy rather than the studio responsible for the shitty management that leads to their employees ending up in hospitals? This is utterly pathetic.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
More people should speak out like this and not be afraid of the consequences. More power to this guy

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
what is more likely to happen is that TLoU2 will sell 15 million copies, win some GotY awards and we'll be back doing this same song and dance a month or two before the next big AAA game launches.

That's a bingo. But I am happy to see industry veterans like him speaking out against these practices. They need to end, and actions like these are the first steps.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't just one employee. Just one which is actual speaking outside of the cloak of anonymity.

There's plenty of senior staff that have left and plenty who have spoken anonymously about this culture. This is mostly a proven fact since literally dozens of people who work there are saying the same thing. I would believe him over some random ND fan on some random website.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Did either of you read his entire comment chain? He repeatedly questions the skill level of these employees. Just because he said "they're awesome" doesn't negate the fact he threw in a caveat and said "but.....", which you seem to be wilfully ignoring.
I read the entire thread repeatedly. Honestly not sure where you are getting this from, but I can assure you it does not exist. He is giving a specific context for his remarks and as a matter of fact, yes, there is a skill gap between senior and junior staff. And he points out how it is an issue in this particular instance. It is not framed as "wow they suck, if they simply hired better junior staff the game would have come out quicker". You can only get this viewpoint if you ignore context or framing. Cooper is the last person to shit on junior animators willing to learn the craft, he spends a lot of his free time on the subject and hoping to get others into animation

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Hmmm, Strange

So which is it?

What kind of a connection are you trying to force here?

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019

Hmmm, Strange

So which is it?

Man I hope you're on their payroll, otherwise this is some pathetic shit

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some of the posts in this thread...

Good on him for speaking out (even if he definitely burned down that bridge). Not that it'll change much unfortunately.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

Hmmm, Strange

So which is it?

CDgZs2m.jpg

Dec 15, 2017
The ND (Actually the Sony) defense force is in full force in the forum. ND should be under scrutiny just like R* and CRPR last year for their practices.

Deleted member 51608

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 4, 2019
No he questioned hiring juniors and film animators and said their skill level wasn't up to what he deemed "the best". Whether you agree or not he did directly question the skill levels of employees, not sure why people are trying to state otherwise.

I read the entire twitter comment chain, did you lot? Seems like you didn't since if you had then you'd see he pretty obviously calling into question the skill level of ND employees due to them being junior and from the film industry.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what he said. I don't work in game animation. All I'm saying is that he is questioning the skill levels of ND employees, people are trying to argue that he's not which is baffling. The grounds you're having the discussion on are perfectly valid. It's others that aren't.
You seem to be conflating talent with skill here. You can be super talented at animating, but the lack of experience in a specific area of animation impacts your skill as an animator. Look at it this way, skill is a combination of talent, efficiency, and output. A super talented CGI film animator has a different skill set then a 2D traditional animator that has a different skill set to a game animator. The best 2D animator in the world isn't the most going to be the most skilled game animator right out the gate if they were to switch jobs. They have a skill set and knowledge that will compliment their eventual competency in that field, but takes months to get to that point. And while they get to that point, they aren't the best. And if they get burned out once they get skilled in that area and leave, then the studio has to seek out and find a new animator and the cycle starts again

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm, Strange

So which is it?

The only thing more pathetic than this post is the fact that you do it for free.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"I only want to work with the best" lol what a thing to say.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced by someone less experienced but much more talented than him.
just sounds like a disgruntled employee

Jonathan Cooper?
He is one of the most talented Animators in the games industry.
Hell if you have any interest in getting into game animation Jonathans book is like a bible.

You guys really need to read his whole thread before posting....I know defending a studio that makes games you like is the norm....but they arent perfect so just read the thread and dont defend bad industry practices.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Did you read the thread? I already clarified this for you.
He's not calling into question their skill as a criticism of them, he's calling into question the hiring practices and culture that necessitated hiring film animators with no game experience in the first place. It's extremely clear he's not blaming the juniors and many people are acting like he is.
It's not an insult to call people juniors and he's not saying it's their fault, they were put into that position by poor management.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I like cinematic games and all, but I wouldn't mind if the industry as a whole took the Nintendo approach. The pressure to keep ahead of the tech curve is making stories like this way too common.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Gross, and I'm not talking about those tweets.
Yeah, this isn't simply a black and white issue.
So we're still digging through tweet history to demonize the guy rather than the studio responsible for the shitty management that leads to their employees ending up in hospitals? This is utterly pathetic.
You're a fucking embarassment.
What kind of a connection are you trying to force here?
Man I hope you're on their payroll, otherwise this is some pathetic shit
I'm not defending ND (actually I believe the crunch stories and wish they do something about it) but the old tweets contradicts the new ones which made me wonder about it that's all.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean...delays don't necessarily makes visuals better for example.

I think much of what makes Naughty Dog's games successful comes down to talent. So things like the visuals, story, voice acting and such.

But it terms of having the actual time to make all that happen? Yeah, that's Sony funding delays.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
People trying to dismiss his thread by investigating his entire twitter history just to see how they can dismiss what he just said. Unbelievable.

We could all be fighting for a better working environment for Naughty Dog while they still exist...but no, let's bring down the ones that are risking themselves by exposing ND.
Because as long as you guys get your games that's what matters right? Incredible really...

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

the world's most talented junior employee is still a junior employee... that's not a dig on the quality of their work! And a bad ratio of senior to junior team members will radically affect the productivity of the senior level people.

Mentioning the fact that new junior level staff coming to games from film need assistance before they are working at full speed is not a comment on their talent.

Oct 27, 2017
Scrap current ND and rebuild from the ground up. See if we get something like a Crash or CTR equivalent from them again rather than hum drum adventures that make you question the fun you're having and at what expense it has on its world etc etc. Uncharted 4 making Drake so bored of the romp to parallel the againg devs bored of making Uncharteds/games knifes me a little bit more every time I think about it.

(I still enjoyed TLOU and UC4, but boy repeat playthroughs just aren't as thrilling as UC1-3)

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
naughty dog deserves all the shade in the world for their shitty culture, but thats a delusional statement