• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I've put a lot of hours into Dota 2 but I fell away from it a couple of years ago, I jumped back it was fun but recently I've been tried out LoL and it's really fun.

There hasn't been many guides or tips as most content I have found is for LoL players moving to Dota 2 but does anyone here have any tips for a to be casual LoL player? (if that is even a thing?)

Thanks Era

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't go from dota to league, league just felt different and, well, I can't say worse. Maybe awkward to me.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I've nevet met anyone that went Dota > League. Sorry, OP! The opposite is much more common so there are a lot more guides

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Understanding fundamentals is crucial for your success.

Laning fundamentals
Macro fundamentals
Micro fundamentals

I would simply look into going into practice tool on the client, pick an interesting champion, and play them in their lane. Last hit minions to gain CS and practice moving, auto attack, moving, auto attack, while last hitting.

Then the rest is just YouTube tutorials on the three above categories.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If you're familiar with Dota, then you really only have two barriers to success:
1. The massive knowledge floor required to understand what each hero does, how team comps fit together, jungling routes, gank timings, etc.
2. Learning to lane aggressively.

League's laning phase is (IMO) way more aggressive and punishing than Dota's. LOL champs can snowball much more quickly due to mobility creep in their design (especially top laners), and the lack of TP scrolls means you're very dependent on your jungler to help, as opposed to your other lanes. Because the vision game is much more involved, and often snowballs as hard as the XP advantage due to trinkets + cheap wards, it's very easy to get shut down.

Often, a quick first blood is enough to determine the lane.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Everything's way simpler in League, so you should be able to pick it up quick enough just by playing.

Main thing is there's no denying, so laning phase is a lot more straightforward. Also, jungling is a bigger deal more frequently.

Oct 25, 2017
I've put a lot of hours into Dota 2 but I fell away from it a couple of years ago, I jumped back it was fun but recently I've been tried out LoL and it's really fun.

There hasn't been many guides or tips as most content I have found is for LoL players moving to Dota 2 but does anyone here have any tips for a to be casual LoL player? (if that is even a thing?)

Thanks Era
dont talk about china in chat.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I've nevet met anyone that went Dota > League. Sorry, OP! The opposite is much more common so there are a lot more guides
I know, i'm just looking for quick guides on hero and ult ability simularites to Dota 2, how to use the shop and other things to give me a shortcut from all the basic tutorials after having a decent understanding of the genre basics.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Everything's way simpler in League, so you should be able to pick it up quick enough just by playing.

Main thing is there's no denying, so laning phase is a lot more straightforward. Also, jungling is a bigger deal more frequently.
Yeah I caught that, along with no loosing gold on death, didn't realise, phew.
If you're familiar with Dota, then you really only have two barriers to success:
1. The massive knowledge floor required to understand what each hero does, how team comps fit together, jungling routes, gank timings, etc.
2. Learning to lane aggressively.

League's laning phase is (IMO) way more aggressive and punishing than Dota's. LOL champs can snowball much more quickly due to mobility creep in their design (especially top laners), and the lack of TP scrolls means you're very dependent on your jungler to help, as opposed to your other lanes. Because the vision game is much more involved, and often snowballs as hard as the XP advantage due to trinkets + cheap wards, it's very easy to get shut down.

Often, a quick first blood is enough to determine the lane.

Thank you Nome super helpful. I was looking for the TP.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
From someone that went from Dota 2 to League and back to Dota 2, League is "easier" to pick up than Dota 2, and from my experience the games are faster and I had a lot of fun because of it. But I just got bored and missed the complexity of Dota, so I went back.

I main support so I just saw some guides on 1 or 2 heroes, saw warding guides as well, and kept playing and see what other do. Eventually you'll get there.

Please keep in mind that I only have around 400 ou 500h of Dota 2.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
There's a set meta, for better or worse.

Items are way weaker from an active standpoint, and the in-game suggestions are usually pretty good.

Lots of skillshots, I would not play with smartcast until you get a feel for the champion you're playing.

/mute all

Oct 27, 2017
Smart choice

LoL = good sexy skins
Dota = boring armor :(

kda-skins-splash-900x507.jpg

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm far from a Dota expert (about 100 hours into it), and also recently started playing LoL. Some of the biggest differences, from my perspective would be:

• Roles are much more locked in. Every game will have 1 player playing top lane (sort of equivalent to an off lane in Dota, except it's symmetrical so you're against another off laner), 1 mid, 1 jungle, and a bot lane consisting of a carry and a support. The exception to this are the very first games you'll play, which won't have a jungler but will instead have 2 people top. Even in blind pick matchmaking, you're expected to call out your role at the start of the picking phase. Because of this above, the best way to play is by using the role based matchmaking system.
  • Wards work very differently. Everyone gets some for free periodically, and supports get an item that gives you 4 ward every time you go back to fountain. Supports also get some items that help with gold gain, so they aren't as dirt poor as they are in Dota.
  • No TP scrolls. Instead, you can teleport back to base for free. You also have summoner spells, which are universal abilities like flash (basically blink dagger). One of them is also like a teleport scroll
  • No denying. Instead, laning is much more based on manipulating waves. Like for example, if an enemy goes back to base, a good response is to push your wave to his tower (so it dies before he comes back) and then go roam.
  • Towers work differently. Up to the 14 minute mark, they have much more health, and damaging them gives gold. This means the laning phase pretty much won't end before 14 minutes.
  • Mages can scale with items, and as such can be carries. On the other hand, it's harder to get as super powerful as you can in Dota.
  • Speaking of mages, mana isn't really a thing past the first couple of levels. So expect much more aggressive play and spell spam during the laning phase. Even cooldowns are generally much shorter than in Dota.
As for general tips
  • The Blitz.gg app is great, as it auto imports item builds and runes.
  • Since you have to buy heroes, the best thing to do would be to focus on one or two roles instead of trying to play everything. Since you already played Dota, you should have a pretty easy time picking the roles you like.
  • r/summonerschool and mobafire are great sites for resources.
  • You can turn off chat in the settings, which you probably should. Pings work well enough for low level communication anyway.
  • Supports are actually pretty fun to play here, and some of them can be built to have a lot of impact throughout the game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I was thinking this was a pro leaving and I was wondering who.
League is still a fun game, though I haven't played for a year or so.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Perhaps the biggest difference between Dota and League is that heroes in Dota generally scale with levels while champions in League scale with items. This means that farming is extremely important in League for all roles and especially not dying because that will be time not spent farming as well as giving gold (and more items) to the enemy. So play super safe in League and don't get aggressive unless you know you won't be counter-ganked. Giving up even 1 or 2 deaths in your lane can start a snowball that's hard to come back from.

I've played both games for many thousands of hours and I'm surprised you're making this switch, tbh. League's item scaling design is inherently flawed imo and leads to many games being stomps decided in the first 8-10 minutes. Dota is more interesting and has deeper strategy. To be fair League's games are far quicker though and the champions are easier to learn. It's definitely less of a commitment than Dota which can be good depending on your life circumstances. In the end, play where your friends play.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
League has a different flow to it than Dota 2 and that is the main thing. High level play is mostly about vision and objective control based around team fights and catching people out of position with skill shots. Worlds is going on right now for the whole month of October, you should check out some of the games (it's by far my favorite eSport to watch and Riot have pretty much perfected the art of UI and casting). I think the spells are more visually clear on what they are doing than in DOTA, but the bigger teamfights tend to have so much going on at once that it can be hard to tell if you don't have an experienced eye for it. Here is a resource for VODs: https://www.reddit.com/r/LoLeventVoDs/comments/dgpp7a/world_championship_2019_group_stage/

General Tips:
- Most champions are based around varying types of skill shots at this point. Mana costs are way lower than Dota 2 and you often have easy ways of regenerating health and mana. Skill spam and being aggressive with your spells is rewarding.
- The laning phase is pretty standard with 1v1 top, 1v1 mid, and a 2v2 bot (one carry and one support). Supports are typically engagers or champions that can provide heals/shields to the carry and are responsible for the bulk of the warding in the game. Carries are meant to farm for mid to late game. Each lane has a different dynamic and priority to it due to the asymmetrical nature of the map.
- The jungler is essentially playing as a wild card. They swoop into lanes to apply pressure and control objectives (the elemental dragons give you permanent buffs likes damage, healing, or move speed) and the Rift Herald provides a tool to knock down towers fast. Keeping track of the enemy jungler and knowing a typical pathing for them is important and will save you a lot of frustration when they gank you.
- The bush mechanic is different than what DOTA has and playing with vision around these is part of the challenge.
- Play ARAMs if you want to learn the abilities of the different champs a bit faster. You should have a fairly limited champ pool to select from at first. I would try each you have available out at least once so you can have a better understanding of what they do. Use internet resources for typical builds and where you should use that champion.
- The summoner spells are pretty standardized
  • Flash: You should almost always take Flash, it is a blink dagger on a long CD, but it provides a needed escape/outplay tool that is pretty invaluable.
  • Teleport: used to be just for Top, but it can be taken on Mid and even Support/ADC now, it can be used to TP to wards or minions, not just towers.
  • Heal: Standard for ADC to survive extra burst, it also gives a bit of move speed for 2 seconds to get out of dodge.
  • Ghost: used very rarely on champs based around movespeed. It gives an extended move buff.
  • Ignite: An all in damage spell that provides healing debuffs. Used on Assassins and lane dominant champs that want to get ahead early.
  • Exhaust: reduces enemy damage and briefly slows them down, typically only seen on supports these days against assassin/burst teams.
  • Smite: absolutely required to jungle, it gives you access to a jungle item and extra XP in the jungle, good for last hitting map objectives and can be used on Champions once upgraded... it's the only summoner that can be upgraded.
  • Barrier: rarely used, provides a temp. shield on a slightly quicker CD than Heal.
  • Cleanse: only used in rare occasions against a team with a lot of CC.
- Masteries are important as well, I'd use a guide to determine what is best at this point, but I often adjust my own depending on my match ups. There are a lot of viable and different ways to use Masteries right now.

My in-game name is Chronos (on the NA server), feel free to add me and we can play. I'm on most nights playing with friends.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Thank you so much guys, the write ups were so helpful.

I'm playing on EUW but will give them all a go now, getting my head around it, it's just all a bit clunky only because I have to understand the different way it works, shop hasn't been to bad at all.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I've been trying out League for the first time as well last few days and I have like 3k hours in dota 2. I'm not gonna learn all champs/items or whatever, I'm just playing like 10 games or so, so I can say I played it, since it's a big gaming icon kinda game you know. And man is it easy compared to Dota. Free teleport back to base, free heal, free movement gain, no denying, skills barely cost mana so you can just spam. It kinda reminds me of Heroes Of The Storm. Super casual and easy moba.

New player experience is kinda trash though. Tutorial explains the basics I guess but not really enough. Tons of info thrown at you in a terrible terrible client. Why does it load the game separately? Kinda baffles me it still has a client that looks and feels the way since it must have released years ago. Even crashed so hard once I had to reboot my computer.

It's not bad and kinda fun to chill with, but yea I'm playing like 10 games and I'm out since I don't wanna learn a billion new champs/skills and play around it all.

What was funny to me though was one guy telling me to get an item and I was like what? I only played Dota before. And he helped me out in-game. Then I played dota and people were shitting on me for a missplay lol.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't deny that its pretty unusual that someone steps down in the level of competitiveness. You can't deny now either.
Look up a guide that lists the LoL counterparts to the Dota heroes and you'll save lot of time because there are several direct copies and / or variations.

Other than that I guess most stuff is simply learning by doing. Good thing is that LoL doesn't penalize you for playing bad and is pretty easy to pick up.

Edit: go and pick Blitzcrank all the time

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yeah I caught that, along with no loosing gold on death, didn't realise, phew.

Thank you Nome super helpful. I was looking for the TP.
The closest thing is the Teleport summoner spell, but it's on a long cool down.

League's lack of laning flexibility was a major frustration for me when I moved from Dota to LOL. It's something that'll never be overcome just by virtue of their design sensibilities, so if you're the dynamic ganker sort of player, stick to the jungle.

I can't deny that its pretty unusual that someone steps down in the level of competitiveness. You can't deny now either.
Look up a guide that lists the LoL counterparts to the Dota heroes and you'll save lot of time because there are several direct copies and / or variations.

Other than that I guess most stuff is simply learning by doing. Good thing is that LoL doesn't penalize you for playing bad and is pretty easy to pick up.

Edit: go and pick Blitzcrank all the time
League has a much higher mechanical/executional barrier compared to Dota, with the exception of multi-unit-micro heroes and Invoker. It's a different set of skills.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
League has a much higher mechanical/executional barrier compared to Dota, with the exception of multi-unit-micro heroes and Invoker. It's a different set of skills.
I have probably way over 600 hours in LoL, around 100 hours in HON, easily more than 1k in Dota but the most hours in Dota2.
LoL is the easiest one by far on pretty much any metric. Including the mechanical skill (on a micro/macro level).

LoL is pretty casual until you reach the highest ranks. But beeing a casual game isn't bad at all, there's a reason why LoL has a way bigger userbase.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I have probably way over 600 hours in LoL, around 100 hours in HON, easily more than 1k in Dota but the most hours in Dota2.
LoL is the easiest one by far on pretty much any metric. Including the mechanical skill (on a micro/macro level).
LOL has a higher mechanical skill floor and cap by design because the strategic layer isn't as deep as Dota's, and it's evident even in the way they design heroes to all have four or more active abilities with short cool downs. Every player is expected to ward, there's a lot of active items, and two summoner spells add additional keys to manage.

LOL is "easier" overall because the game systems have the tightest constraints and the game is designed to have visible power, meaning good play and good strategy are more eminently understandable.

And if we're throwing out credentials here, I worked for 2 years on HON, 3 years on LOL, and contributed to several Dota hero designs.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
LOL has a higher mechanical skill floor and cap by design because the strategic layer isn't as deep as Dota's, and it's evident even in the way they design heroes to all have four or more active abilities with short cool downs. Every player is expected to ward, there's a lot of active items, and two summoner spells add additional keys to manage.
Dota has a lot more active items than League and while you have 2 additional spells in LoL (I mean ... does the TP scroll in Dota count as a spell?) you can actually play in Dota with a 10 slotted hero, while League still maxes out at 6.

I mean LoL doesn't have the whole deny-stuff, be it creeps, teammate denies or self-denies. It doesn't have a turn radius for heroes at all, it doesn't have different reaction speeds for heroes, no animation-attack-walk-canceling stuff. No highgrounds, no line visions within the jungle and the possibility to kite specific angles in the jungle, you don't really queue your items and skill executions in League while Dota is pretty much queued all the way. League only has Macro management afaik but no Micro. And that's just stuff that comes off the top of my head.

Look: League is a great game but it is a simplier game in the regards of mechanical skills required and mechanical skills that are feasible.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
LOL is way more simplistic game compared to Dota 2... so I think you will be able to adjust quickly. Just need to learn the championships and get a feel on how the meta is played.

LOL is far less micro intensive compared to dota. The early laning phase is also rather simple(for example you can't deny creeps).

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Dota has a lot more active items than League and while you have 2 additional spells in LoL (I mean ... does the TP scroll in Dota count as a spell?) you can actually play in Dota with a 10 slotted hero, while League still maxes out at 6.

I mean LoL doesn't have the whole deny-stuff, be it creeps, teammate denies or self-denies. It doesn't have a turn radius for heroes at all, it doesn't have different reaction speeds for heroes, no animation-attack-walk-canceling stuff. No highgrounds, no line visions within the jungle and the possibility to kite specific angles in the jungle, you don't really queue your items and skill executions in League while Dota is pretty much queued all the way. League only has Macro management afaik but no Micro. And that's just stuff that comes off the top of my head.

Look: League is a great game but it is a simplier game in the regards of mechanical skills required and mechanical skills that are feasible.
I think there's some misunderstanding here. Mechanical skill in game design is not "skill that pertains to systems and mechanics", it's basically just input/executional barrier. And yes, I already called out multi-unit-micro and Invoker as an exception to this.

Dota is a much more systems-rich game; I don't think anyone would question that.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
League definitely streamlines a lot of mechanics and I've always thought that as a positive and not a negative. It allows the abilities to be more mechanically intricate and for more flexibility in combos and combat. Dota has a few rare exceptions like Invoker and whoever the guy who controls the jungle creep (it's been a while) who have more difficult micro from solely ability. Lee Sin, Elise, Akali, Thresh, and many others have more room for creativity from their abilities than most Dota champs.

Turning radius, elevation, and the murkier visual design make Dota 2 clunkier and less satisfying to me and I'm fine with the trade off of it being simpler. It allows me to focus more on what is happening all around the map and plan out moves.