• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Response time isn't input lag. You're not gonna get input lag in the ~1 ms range unless you're talking like medical equipment. The Evo monitor for the past decade or so has had an input lag of 10ms, which is close to as low as it gets for consumer monitors/TVs.

AFAIK Netplay using the official adapter on PC is now actually lower latency than playing on CRT for whatever reason so its considered unoptimal practice.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit surprised how low the non-US players are for DBFZ and Tekken 7. Obviously they are higher in terms of percentage compared to games like Smash/MK11, but I still expected more foreign players for it..

I think more Asian tournies means less incentive for Asians to travel to the US. Level of competition at an Asian major is just as high at EVO. Also TWT might be a factor as well.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK Netplay using the official adapter on PC is now actually lower latency than playing on CRT for whatever reason so its considered unoptimal practice.
I don't actually keep up too much with the Melee community, but I assume it's because PCs are running the game faster than a gamecube/wii would so that leads to a reduction of input lag. Well, maybe that phrasing is wrong, but something like that.

Nol

Oct 26, 2017
But with stuff like the GCHD, OSSC and 1ms Monitors, why not finally switch to these, because a CRT isn't free of latency either and these solutions don't add latency. But well... the line up always changes
Low tier city 7 recently tried using all monitors with adapters and sparked a discussion on all of this in the melee community because of several top players saying the setups were noticeably laggy at the tournament, with other players saying it was just placebo. Here's an article showing how monitors have about 4-6ms more input lag over playing on a CRT and how its plausible for players to be able to notice it:

That's not to say that playing melee on monitors isn't a viable strategy for some tournaments, just that the idea that monitors don't add latency isn't true.

I don't actually keep up too much with the Melee community, but I assume it's because PCs are running the game faster than a gamecube/wii would so that leads to a reduction of input lag. Well, maybe that phrasing is wrong, but something like that.
Yeah for netplay people use faster melee, which is a fork of dolphin emulator that reduces the innate input delay in the game. This way when you go online and add a buffer, you can get similar input lag to real hardware.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Here's an article showing how monitors have about 4-6ms more input lag over playing on a CRT and how its plausible for players to be able to notice it: http://planetbanatt.net/articles/lagless.html

That's not to say that playing melee on monitors isn't a viable strategy for some tournaments, just that the idea that monitors don't add latency isn't true.

Doesn't a difference of 4ms equal out to something like 4 thousandths of a second? I know pros are on a different level when it comes to stuff like that but that still sounds like some sort of placebo effect.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't a difference of 4ms equal out to something like 4 thousandths of a second? I know pros are on a different level when it comes to stuff like that but that still sounds like some sort of placebo effect.

I think its largely because of how bad the alternatives were for a long time. Early non-crt television sets were borderline unplayable.
These days there are some great gaming monitors and I really don't mind that instead of CRT

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you guys watched the KOFXIV NeoGeo World Tour Season 2 finals in Taipei last weekend because it was filled with hype.

You know shit gets real when Xiaohai can't make top 8.

I don't follow the scene, mainly watched during evo top 8s, but ima check it out!

also, i dunno if this is necessarily the same thing, but ps4 dbfz has 2 fr of extra lag compared to pc (which is why many will say that online pc is the 2nd best way to prepare for tourneys, other than local ps4 ofc, plus training room allows you to add fr delay which can emulate ps4 local on pc), and when I switch between the two for online tourneys it honestly does make a world of difference. ps4 feels like molasses despite the difference being so miniscule...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Holy shit!

Basically every major player in the Tekken scene is going to Evo this year, including Arslan Ash and AK for the first time ever. Tekken may well have a landmark tournament this year.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit!

Basically every major player in the Tekken scene is going to Evo this year, including Arslan Ash and AK for the first time ever. Tekken may well have a landmark tournament this year.

Arslan Ash vs Knee is the best storyline of EVO by far. I'm still stunned Arslan Ash got his visa.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal

Pools to be posted tonight.

That said, if you're registered and check Smash.gg right now, the general schedule is up, even if individual pools can't be viewed. There's a HUGE change in plans that got spoiled by this, however.
MK11 has been added to Sunday's finals, which start at 10 AM. Sunday finals order is: BBTag, MK11, Smash, SFVAE, T7.

Other finals start times:
SCVI: 8 PM Friday
UNIST: 10 AM Saturday
DBFZ: 1 PM Saturday
SamSho: 4 PM Saturday

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That said, if you're registered and check Smash.gg right now, the general schedule is up, even if individual pools can't be viewed. There's a HUGE change in plans that got spoiled by this, however.
MK11 has been added to Sunday's finals, which start at 10 AM. Sunday finals order is: BBTag, MK11, Smash, SFVAE, T7.

Nice, glad that MK11 gets the stage, been a lot of fun watching that game.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017

What? Why isn't Smash last? What was the point of the poll

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Those Saturday Finals start times do not seem right. That seems way too early for them.
With the schedule change, Saturday night is now dedicated to MK, Tekken, SF and Smash semifinals, so I'm guessing they didn't adjust the other Saturday games because they didn't want those games' top 8s conflicting with big games' semis.

What? Why isn't Smash last? What was the point of the poll
To gauge public opinion. They're not going to solely decide the schedule based off that poll, it just allows them more info to make a decision.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This is horrible, lol. Not only are they back to 5 games, but Smash is a mid card now! Good luck to anyone wanting to watch SF or Tekken outside the US.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Is there a reason why BB Tag final is on Sunday when it has the lowest number of entrance?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see. It's crazy to see DBFZ having the most entrance and a great Sunday final to having Saturday final in just a year..

They also never pick Sunday games based off of possible entrant numbers. They usually do it to pair up with announcements or something.

DBFZ top 8s are also some of the longest out of any fighting games and they were probably trying to avoid going overtime now that people are more aware.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

SamSho: 4 PM SaturdayX

Shit, this joke aged poorly.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
They also never pick Sunday games based off of possible entrant numbers. They usually do it to pair up with announcements or something.

DBFZ top 8s are also some of the longest out of any fighting games and they were probably trying to avoid going overtime now that people are more aware.
Saturday finals also have announcements, right? I am looking forward to DBFZ announcement.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on that schedule, I won't be seeing one Top 8 in person (will arrive on Sat. morn) and I'll miss part of the first Top 8 on Saturday (hopefully)

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see. It's crazy to see DBFZ having the most entrance and a great Sunday final to having Saturday final in just a year..
It's very common for a fighting game's numbers to drop like a rock from Year 1 to Year 2. Everyone wants to make a big deal about it, but it should just be expected. The real stories are the fighting games that increase in numbers year over year.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why all these people are entering when I'm just gonna win it all anyways

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why BB Tag final is on Sunday when it has the lowest number of entrance?

BB Tag is such a fast game , and not very popular. This means you have no chance of falling behind schedule, and you're not causing many folks to get up early.

My EVO gonna be done real early. Sunday gonna be a Vegas day no matter what.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

They didn't know the entrant numbers when they made decision... in other words, ASW paid to make it happen. Publishers have been using Evo as a marketing tool for years, there's nothing sacred about which games show up or why.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Why in the world was MK11 added to Sunday?!

Smash should definitely have been last because Sunday is going to go way overtime.