• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My assumption is that there's also probably some allure to it being more wide open in terms of it being anyone's prize for the taking. Ok, well, not anyone. Some chump like me that lacks good fundamentals isn't going to stroll into Evo and take Samurai Showdown just because it's new. But it's also more of a wild west in terms of it not just being dominated already by the pros who have studied it backwards and forwards and know all the matchups.
...it was why i took on the Fighting EX Layer tourny. The best odds with the newest game I so happen to be interested in.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight, is good to know there's still room for growth. Seems like the biggest issue would be that many matches would happen off-screen, but I guess there's always a way to preserve footage from other sources.

Hopefully Power Rangers will get some tournament, and I would like to check out some good matches since the game looks pretty fun.
I believe the Arkansas players will be recording matches when we get a chance. That's what we do at most Evos anyway. Hopefully others do the same and we'll get a ton of footage.
Yeah bro it's me who looks silly and not you who feels like propping up and defending SFV in every thread.

It's pointless discussing this game with fanboys.

Umm using online gameplay makes your point far less valid. The same fighting game online and offline are basically different games.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
Your list is almost identical to mine, the difference is you're clearly ignorant about the current state of SFV.
Yeah bro it's me who looks silly and not you who feels like propping up and defending SFV in every thread.

It's pointless discussing this game with fanboys.

And you go and post something from two years ago in season two lol. It's pointless to discuss the game with someone who clearly hates the game and doesn't play it?

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the Arkansas players will be recording matches when we get a chance. That's what we do at most Evos anyway. Hopefully others do the same and we'll get a ton of footage.

Umm using online gameplay makes your point far less valid. The same fighting game online and offline are basically different games.
You want an offline match? You got it!

Footsies!

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
I assume there's a lot of attempting to whiff punish Abigail? That's like the whole point of the character. If he were easy to whiff punish, he'd be like the worst character in the game. Just whiff punish into knockdown and body him for free because his up close buttons are slow too.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

latest

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the terms and conditions keep getting tighter and tighter. "You must bring me a flower in the Himalayas in the death of night while wearing overalls and sipping a martini!"

You want an offline match from this season? You got it!

Footsies!

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Damn the terms and conditions keep getting tighter and tighter. "You must bring me a flower in the Himalayas in the death of night while wearing overalls and sipping a martini!"

You want an offline match from this season? You got it!

Footsies!

Street Fighter has had busted pressure since the start though. SF2, 3, the alphas and 4 all heavily reward offense with situation that make SFV look tame. And, thats's what the series is. Making guesses on Akuma and Ibuki is no worse than guessing against Claw, Honda, Urien, Oro, a custom combo activation, a vortex in IV, etc. you play neutral until you get an advantage and then you do some grimey stuff. Classic fighting games.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I thought we already decided to stop saying 'footsies' and call them 'bladesies' in relation to SamSho.

What? No? Just me?

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy how high up it is given its sales compared to the other titles its hanging with. SNK have done a great job getting back into the mindshare of the FGC.

This was KOF Numbers up until now.

EVO 2014
King of Fighters 13: 319

EVO 2013
King of Fighers 13: 433

EVO 2012
King of Fighters 13: 1,072

KOF2012 was the shirt monster tourney where over 50% were no-shows.

SNK did a lot of giveaways to get folks entering that year- I got a free CD for entering FR.

As for SF, SF has always has busted oki. The issue with SF5 is that the oki got boring after S1 change. Too many things in SF5 feel predetermined/obvious choices, outside of neutral, which is very reactionary/twitchy (the input lag change made that part of the game even worse)

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I hate these dumb "neutral" and "footsies" purity tests sometimes.

SFV has footsies and neutral. There is grimy shit.

SamSho has footsies and neutral. And grimy shit. People are jumping all around, set-ups, abusing buttons over and over.

There is grimy, abusable, rage/comeback shit happening in Tekken7 as well. I love it.

And I really like SamSho right now, so far, hehe ;)

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
As someone real shit whose only started putting time into fighting games in the last year, can someone post some matches of games with "good footsies" outside of samsho stuff?

Either way, excited for Evo. Decided to take that Friday off to watch pools, play games and be a bum. Waiting for the Street Fighter news.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone real shit whose only started putting time into fighting games in the last year, can someone post some matches of games with "good footsies" outside of samsho stuff?

Either way, excited for Evo. Decided to take that Friday off to watch pools, play games and be a bum. Waiting for the Street Fighter news.
I guess this?

Footsies is such a nebulous and antiquated term, most players nowadays prefer to use the term "neutral" as it is more applicable to games and not centered around ground based simpler fighters.

This is what good neutral looks like in a VS game:

This is good neutral/footsies/poking in a Tekken game:

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I guess this?

Footsies is such a nebulous and antiquated term, most players nowadays prefer to use the term "neutral" as it is more applicable to games and not centered around ground based simpler fighters.

This is what good neutral looks like in a VS game:

This is good neutral/footsies/poking in a Tekken game:

Thanks. I'll check these out. I feel like I understand the basics of neutral game but when people try to say its good/bad in a game, I don't really get it minus maybe in Dragonball.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'll check these out. I feel like I understand the basics of neutral game but when people try to say its good/bad in a game, I don't really get it minus maybe in Dragonball.
It depends on how strong it is, how much time is spent on neutral vs not in neutral and how win condition works in addition to risk vs reward.

Neutral in DBFZ has lop sided risk vs reward system. So players opt for the lowest risk option which is stuff like double jump, ki blast, call assist which can result in high reward. There is some skill to this of course as well as managing the other players super dash but in general super dash kills a lot of the neutral in the game and you need to formulate your game plan around super dash. And simply winning by neutral isn't a proper win condition in DBFZ (ie you can't just win by errant pokes, fireballs, chip damage) so eventually you need to get the hit. So you win neutral in DBFZ by putting the other player in an awkward spot, getting them to block an assist or your character and then running your offense on them.

Generally if a game is big on block strings (which DBFZ is notorious for), big combo damage (like MVC3), rushdown, unreactable mix ups into combos, set play/okizeme heavy... then it is considered not neutral heavy.

As opposed to say Cable in MVC2 who can control the neutral with Corridor assist, grenades, beams and Sentinel drones where he can win the entire match off of pure neutral (random hits and chip) without even landing a combo on your. Or Morrigan/Dormammu can win games without ever landing a combo on you in MVC3. Or Sagat in SF2. SFV is in an awkward spot where it's a mix.. you can win with footsies/whiff punishment but its much harder and you can zone with Guile/Menat but the characters who succeed are ones that can do both like Akuma or just run their offense/mix ups on your like Rashid and Ibuki. SFV's bigger issue is the slower walk speed, stubbier normals, weaker projectiles which makes for a less dominant neutral/footsie game.

Also Smash is pure footsies/neutral game is there is very little focus on combos, block strings, set ups etc. So any good match of Smash like in Melee would qualify for good neutral.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Is Blazblue really more popular than GG?

I miss KOF in my Evo :(
Very much so. As a franchise, BB ultimately managed to resonate with a wider market than the case has been with GG, even after BB had originally been introduced as a placeholder of sorts until Arc got all of the rights for GG back and refined the techniques used for its 2.5D overhaul.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Filth/grimy stuff is (IMO):

*Set play with minimal defensive options
*Unblockables (especially if you can set play into them, that's like peak filth)
*Touch of deaths
*Unreactable mix ups into combos (double filth if unreactable mix ups lead into death)
*Infinites especially easy execution ones or easy to set up ones
*Huge duration block strings with numerous mix ups thrown in the middle (double filth if mix ups are unreactable)
*Vortexes (set plays that no matter the result, leads into the same set play creating a set play vortex)
*Huge chip/block damage set ups that are unavoidable
*1 frame unreactable throws that you can combo off of for big damage (double filth if it leads to death)
*Cross ups that don't look like cross ups (hits the backside of the player but the opponent still remains in front) aka fake cross ups

As you can imagine, VS games, anime games are filled with stuff like this. Stuff like Hokuto no Ken is chock full of stuff like this.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'm gettin' thrown here
what's the difference between grimy, dirty, nasty, and/or filthy in these contexts

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gettin' thrown here
what's the difference between grimy, dirty, nasty, and/or filthy in these contexts
they're fairly synonymous with forcing the opponent to block an extremely ambiguous mixup situation where the risk/reward is heavily skewed in your favor.

Just for an example, in Melty Blood after a hard knockdown, the character Kohaku can put down a plant that forces the opponent to block it correctly, where she can then jump, IAD and then apply her pressure from there. Any time the opponent presses a button, they get counterhit, knocked down and then put into the same situation where they must block the plant and then correctly react to Kohaku's myriad of offensive options during the pressure.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also Smash is pure footsies/neutral game is there is very little focus on combos, block strings, set ups etc. So any good match of Smash like in Melee would qualify for good neutral.
That's not quite right. Smash has also unique advantage and disadvantage stances. You only have one jump in the air, so being there without resources is very dangerous in Smash. It can even lead to extreme early KOs. So putting somebody Off-Stage or in the air, can be very bad or advantageous for some characters. It a King of the Hill game overall, where being too far off the center and the ground, will always put you in some degree of disadvantage.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the explanations everyone!
*Huge duration block strings with numerous mix ups thrown in the middle (double filth if mix ups are unreactable)
*Huge chip/block damage set ups that are unavoidable
That reminds me of Oichi in Sengoku Basara X, who had a sort of blockstring infinite (so she could kill you for blocking her first attack) and YET she was merely mid-tier.
That game was worse than Hokuto no Ken.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Thanks for the explanations everyone!

That reminds me of Oichi in Sengoku Basara X, who had a sort of blockstring infinite (so she could kill you for blocking her first attack) and YET she was merely mid-tier.
That game was worse than Hokuto no Ken.
the differences between Hokuto no Ken and Sengoku Basara X shows the actual distinction between high quality kusoge and just regular kuso

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's not quite right. Smash has also unique advantage and disadvantage stances. You only have one jump in the air, so being there without resources is very dangerous in Smash. It can even lead to extreme early KOs. So putting somebody Off-Stage or in the air, can be very bad or advantageous for some characters. It a King of the Hill game overall, where being too far off the center and the ground, will always put you in some degree of disadvantage.
That's positional advantage which exists in most FGs to some extent (ie. near corner, edge of ring, walls). You generally need to win the neutral to put the opponent in a bad position like that.

That said Smash can have some grime too, it's not immune to it. All those who suffered defeat against Bayonetta in Smash 4 would definitely attest to this.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the differences between Hokuto no Ken and Sengoku Basara X shows the actual distinction between high quality kusoge and just regular kuso
It's sad because it's true.
It was also a really shitty Sengoku Basara game on top of that. The people who did it had clear bias for and against some characters, and it showed.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
All major fighting games at Evo right now are good games. Sorry to get controversial there. Some of y'all more interested in shitting on games others like and not pushing up games you like.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It's sad because it's true.
It was also a really shitty Sengoku Basara game on top of that. The people who did it had clear bias for and against some characters, and it showed.
you mean to tell me that you don't like the cast of Sengoku Basara 2 and also those other guys i guess