• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I guess they know their audience and went with...that...

Or have they lost touch with reality?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will have any ramifications.

Like, I get that Mr. Wiz doesn't want to be associated with that kind of perverted crap, but at the same time, he cut the stream of one of his advertisers and denounced them in a now deleted tweet. From what I've seen of previous advertisements for similar games, that shit is the norm over there, so I wonder if KT is pissed that their advertising time got cut. Like, is there only one stream feed for all viewers, or is there a Japanese stream and western stream like some tournaments do? IF there is, did they cut it for both?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is going to be extremely awkward if for some reason mr wiz already secured an spot for DOA 6 in the main line up of evo

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have sales figures for Chun costumes? All Chun costumes are "sexy"? Buying costumes make a person someone who disrespects women?

Your initial comment was baseless and you decided to double down on it when called out. You literally called hundreds/thousands of people who you don't even know exist, disrespectful to women.
Where did I say I have the sales figures again? Did I also specifically say all Chun Li costumes are sexy? Getting pedantic to a fault are we.

And yes, if you support that crap with money then you are objectifying women and being disrespectful to them. Though some don't know what they're doing is disrespectful, it is nevertheless pretty harmful and I know a lot of people couldn't care less.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Its true that almost all if not every fighting game have overly-sexualized content, its just that unlike Koei Tecmo's marketing team , Capcom's, Bandai-Namco's etc. marketing team understood the context of the event they are in - EVO Japan - and instead focused on the 'competitive' aspects of their game.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a shame that we'll never be able to shed that Boys' Club mentality any time soon.
That people are freaking out over Mr. Wizard condemning sexual exploitation is just so disheartening.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still think it's okay for people to go horndog over games like this in the privacy of their own home but it does seem extremely inappropriate in a public setting. Depressing to see this boys' club mentality still being perpetuated.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I do.

They've sold eleventy million since SFV's release.
tumblr_oec57sGj8v1v0fcmno1_400.gif

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miss me with your little "calm down." You overstepped your bounds and people calling you out on your statement trying to define how "any sane" girl should feel are not being unreasonably upset.

He probably meant an average girl would feel pretty uncomfortable in that setting which is a very reasonable assumption to make. But continue with your fake outrage.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is so cringey. Who is even the target audience for this?

Also this should make any women participants feel very welcome. I mean, you are already outnumbered 100 to 1 by dudes and this is what you see on stream/stage.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
So, basically the models went overboard with the sexual stuff and they cut them off, did I understand correctly?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If EVO wants to be more open to a wider base outside of core gamer dudes who like to openly ogle at T&A then they need to cut this kind of stuff. A fighting game tourney isn't the place for ogling T&A, no matter how little clothing the games' women wear.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
didn't shimbori said they were aiming to make DOA6 an E-sports game ? well what major tournament will take this seriously in the west now after this incident?

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of a shame that we'll never be able to shed that Boys' Club mentality any time soon.
That people are freaking out over Mr. Wizard condemning sexual exploitation is just so disheartening.

He's getting shit for the 'core values' thing because it's corporate speak and the FGC is still attached to its underground arcade roots. It isn't explicitly about him condemning sexual exploitation, it's because he's doing it with a view to protecting his sponsorships and the FGC is being cynical about it.

That is so cringey. Who is even the target audience for this?

The DOA audience. This is quite literally what the series is about and how it's been marketed and monetised for decades. The competitive 3D fighting scene has an extremely narrow audience relative to the 2D scene and it's completely dominated by Tekken. DOA can't compete as a serious fighter, so it plays for the fanboy (and fangirl, I guess) audience. This is not to say that DOA is without merit as a fighter, it's just that it has almost no chance of escaping its reputation at this point.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
and whoever the person was from the dev team mimed too much cunnilingus with the free cam
I see, I heard them commenting in the background and thought they were the ones playing.

Well, seems like they tried to appeal to the wrong crowd at the wrong venue.
Are the girls just gravure models or AV idols too? Would explain their behaviour.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously horny nerds are going to revolt if you dangle fighting game titties in front of them and then snatch them away. That presentation was a misfire, and the reaction to that tweet was predictable given how the worst segments of the gaming community have been empowered over the last few years to revel in bad behavior and form meme-powered mobs to attacks their perceived oppressors.

How unfortunate. I wish photo mode were a thing in all fighting games (especially Soul Calibur so I could enjoy the hunky male fighters discreetly, lol). Perving out over video games is a long-standing practice, almost a tradition, but it's not a group activity, something you boast about or flaunt in your marketing, haha. Unless you're DOA. At least as early as the "she kicks high" commercial, it was clear what that series was all about.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing harmful sexual objectification
I very, VERY much doubt EVO staff knew exactly what was going to happen. Most likely everyone had their planned areas and stage moments along with time slots. Considering the heads behind EVO are American and companies featuring/sponsoring a Japanese event, in Japan, for a Japanese audience are Japanese... its hard to say where the line should be drawn imo.

Let's face it, 99.999% of the "backlash" from this is going to be from the western, English speak audience. Are you going to see this event or moment talked about on the news or even any gaming sites here, nah. Are you going to have the DoA event mentioned and show pictures of the celebrity ladies in skimpy clothes to promote it, you betcha. I've said it before and I'll always say it til it ain't true, different countries got different standards for what is appropriate, acceptable, or what is or isn't offensive. We can armchair blanket our ideals in our countries to apply to others over the internet but in real life its not how it works.

This country has very little issue with this kind of display and we have known this for decades.

Are the girls just gravure models or AV idols too? Would explain their behaviour.

gravure only. The one with shorter hair is actually one of the most famous women in the industry at the moment, on tv seemingly every other day.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously horny nerds are going to revolt if you dangle fighting game titties in front of them and then snatch them away. That presentation was a misfire, and the reaction to that tweet was predictable given how the worst segments of the gaming community have been empowered over the last few years to revel in bad behavior and form meme-powered mobs to attacks their perceived oppressors.

How unfortunate. I wish photo mode were a thing in all fighting games (especially Soul Calibur so I could enjoy the hunky male fighters discreetly, lol). Perving out over video games is a long-standing practice, almost a tradition, but it's not a group activity, something you boast about or flaunt in your marketing, haha. Unless you're DOA I guess. At least as early as the "she kicks high" commercial, it was clear what that series was all about.

I'm not sure how the reaction to the tweet means it's bad behavior.

You can like anime boobs but think the segment was a misfire.

If anything the reaction to tweet is more about the divide between the fgc being grassroots versus embracing esports culture.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
the whole backlash against "corporate speak" is pretty funny. what rock have they been hiding under the past few years?

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017

How unfortunate. I wish photo mode were a thing in all fighting games (especially Soul Calibur so I could enjoy the hunky male fighters discreetly, lol). Perving out over video games is a long-standing practice, almost a tradition, but it's not a group activity, something you boast about or flaunt in your marketing, haha. Unless you're DOA. At least as early as the "she kicks high" commercial, it was clear what that series was all about.

You know, you can view the characters animations with a free camera in creation mode.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say I have the sales figures again? Did I also specifically say all Chun Li costumes are sexy? Getting pedantic to a fault are we.

And yes, if you support that crap with money then you are objectifying women and being disrespectful to them. Though some don't know what they're doing is disrespectful, it is nevertheless pretty harmful and I know a lot of people couldn't care less.
Maybe learn how to frame a point without generalising to a ridiculous degree, Mr. "most people in the FGC don't respect women".

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure how the reaction to the tweet means it's bad behavior.

You can like anime boobs but think the segment was a misfire.

If anything the reaction to tweet is more about the divide between the fgc being grassroots versus embracing esports culture.
The tweet backlash is the same as any other gamer backlash against "political correctness."

It's a classic case of horny nerds banding together to roast any person or company that tries to define or apologize for them.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe learn how to frame a point without generalising to a ridiculous degree, Mr. "most people in the FGC don't respect women".
It is true though. The FGC is pretty sexist. Whenever a woman comes on stream everyone in the chat goes "OMG GRILL" "Kreygasm" like as if it's impossible to not be a horn dog when you see a woman playing a game.

It's mad stupid but it is what it is.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really funny to see some people defending their dev team when the whole PR talk about toning down sexualisation was pure bullshit in the first place

https://twinfinite.net/2019/01/dead...s-fanservice-accessibility-dlc-and-much-more/

DOA has always been bullshit about this. Two games ago they had a marketing campaign about how "they are a fighter" and not the obvious sexual exploitation game that they are. Clearly it was made by the DOA localization team because every costume they released said otherwise.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I can enjoy some titillation but dammit don't make that the main marketing point for your fighting game. Save that shit for the beach volleyball garbage. DoA is a legit good fighter but gets bogged down in mindless TnA.

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
It is true though. The FGC is pretty sexist. Whenever a woman comes on stream everyone in the chat goes "OMG GRILL" "Kreygasm" like as if it's impossible to not be a horn dog when you see a woman playing a game.

It's mad stupid but it is what it is.
This is a problem with all twitch chat. It's definitely an issue but I don't know why you chose to frame it specifically as the FGC.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
You know, you can view the characters animations with a free camera in creation mode.
Oh yes, I know. It's not really the same as having a free camera in full matches. Unless I missed a feature, character creation mode is limited to one level with three times of day, and you can't introduce a second character into the scene.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is what it is and will always be that either your down with that or you aren't. The amazing thing here is just how little communication there seemingly is between the NA and JP branches of Tecmo Koei they both seem to be pushing different messaging out and it just makes the whole thing embarrassing.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't like DOA because I think the gameplay sucks but my wife likes it 🤷‍♂️

And who is this guy to decide what the community's morals are?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We are in a fighting game thread are we not?

And people like to make FGC look open minded and diverse when it is far from it.

I agree with the open minded thing, but the FGC is diverse as fuck. The main issue is the lack of female top players, but that is a bigger issue with competitive gaming in general,.

Please tell me other e-sport where a black gay furry could stand a chance to be one of "the ace" of the scene

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because they're being paid. Who knows what did they really feel. Any sane girl wouldn't feel okay with that.
I agree that money being involved makes it harder to truly know how much they wanted to do it, but I really do feel that consent is the most important thing here. If they were uncomfortable doing it, it's a problem, but if they truly wanted to do that to each other I don't think there is an issue.

Oct 28, 2017
We are in a fighting game thread are we not?

And people like to make FGC look open minded and diverse when it is far from it.

I'll go into bat for the FGC. It has its faults but it is far far beyond any other competitive video game community in terms of diversity and inclusiveness. Maybe that says more about competitive game communities in general, but the FGC is still the best of the bunch.