• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Didn't Nintendo just parter with an esports group for Smash Bros. as well? I get the vibe they're going 100% "in house" with competitions at this point - if they don't have control they're not interested. That matches their MO with, well, everything else.
Isn't Smash still at Combo Breaker?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Didn't Nintendo just parter with an esports group for Smash Bros. as well? I get the vibe they're going 100% "in house" with competitions at this point - if they don't have control they're not interested. That matches their MO with, well, everything else.
Given how much the smash community garnered bad press and had a huge amount of notoriously shitty people, I could believe this to be the case. Nintendo don't want their most lauded players being a bunch of rapists and sexual harassers.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yes something changed, Nintendo did. The issue is immediately jumping to console war conspiracy theories as the conclusion.

The new deal with a different eSports group is kinda a big detail.

I... honestly don't think the posters in here are saying "well Sony bought EVO, so no wonder!" as the end all-be all to why Smash isn't at EVO. But it is very, perfectly, and rationally fine to assume that this difference in relationship dymaincs probably influenced the talks given that Smash was at EVO for many, many years after it's last hubbub, and the recent Smash controversy likely didn't help either.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking News, Nintendo Not Interested In Having Their Game At a Tournament Owned By One Of Their Biggest Competitior

e: and yes, I know Nintendo has issues with tournaments in general, I've followed the fgc for a decade. Still think it's not unreasonable to assume Playstation's involvement in Evo may have played a factor in this.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
lol just about sums it up... I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons--whatever they may be--but as a fan of the series, it's definitely disappointing to see Smash omitted from the biggest fighting game event of the year, and just after all the DLC has wrapped up :/

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

As condescending as your post was just now, I fully read the initial one again and it doesn't really change my point (or rather, the question of why I was quoted in the first place); this isn't really a console war thing at all and I don't think people bringing it up are necessarily jumping on that, but this definitely is a pretty big dynamic change for this EVO in a lot of respects

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Breaking News, Nintendo Not Interested In Having Their Game At a Tournament Owned By One Of Their Biggest Competitiors
I don't think Sony was the reason here, but rather the reason why management was changed in the first place. If Sony was why, Nintendo wouldn't be actively advertising MLB: The Show in their latest Direct.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are still scared about all the scandals related to Mr. Wizard and the Smash scene in general...

It is funny reading some girls here dragging Nintendo when you make memory about how much people bitched about Smash being the cause of late finals and all the other stuff.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
RIP Smash at EVO. My guess is that if anything it probably has to do with the sponsorship with Panda Global + New Management moving in. A shame Smash won't be at EVO, but honestly, given a lot of things, I think they both no longer need each other. Besides, both the competitive smash scene and Evo have their fair share of toxicity involved, so I think the conditions in both need to improve drastically first. (Hopefully, the new management can fix the problems on EVO's side at least, I have confidence they will, not so sure about the smash community.

And I also don't think this will affect the dynamics of EVO. To assume a game needs to be in or deserves the EVO slot is kinda ugh and shows how the FGC is so western-centric (which reflects on it's toxicity)

Isn't Smash still at Combo Breaker?

Ultimate still runs at Combo Breaker, but no Melee, and even then it's deemphasized. Nintendo doesn't show up as a sponsor of the event. I think Nintendo isn't going to simply restrict Smash from every major tournament event simply cause it isn't part of the official circuit. Remember Nintendo once attempted to shut down Smash at EVO, so I'm guessing they had to get more special permissions for Smash.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As condencescing as this post was, I fully read it again and it doesn't really change my point (or rather, the question of why I was quoted in the first place); this isn't really a console war thing at all, but this definitely is a pretty big dynamic change for this EVO in a lot of respects
I meant no condescension, sincerely. How can people not be "saying 'well Sony bought EVO, so no wonder!' as the end all-be all to why Smash isn't at EVO", when that is the literal conclusion people are coming to, even in the posts I quoted, and in posts afterward?

It's the only theory for why being presented.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Smash Ultimate has two playable characters owned by "a direct competitor"
250px-Banjo_%26_Kazooie_SSBU.png
250px-Steve_SSBU.png

I think it has more to do with all the huge scandals back in the summer of 2020, and Nintendo also parterning with Panda Global.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I think Evo's recent problems of having sex pests and abusers in its ranks and leadership and kids being around all that shit was far more relevant to Nintendo than Sony owning Evo. Nintendo was always at arms length at best with the FGC, and all of Evo dirty laundry being exposed just cemented Nintendo's view to keep their distance.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I meant no condescension, sincerely. How can people not be "saying 'well Sony bought EVO, so no wonder!' as the end all-be all to why Smash isn't at EVO", when that is the literal conclusion people are coming to, even in the posts I quoted, and in posts afterward?

It's the only theory for why being presented.

All good;

I think that with EVO being Sony owned, and posters saying this, this is more of a "I can see how it led to this" kind of thing rather than full-blown console war theories. They can understand more why or how it came to this because it's... definitely a tricky situation to deal with from jump but I sincerely believe that people here aren't believing that Sony is blocking Nintendo or vice-versa based on what we know; there is probably way more that we just don't know yet and possibly some break down in negotiations that already started on a bad foot

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
From Nintendo's perspective it's as equivalent as asking why they are not appearing on State of Play?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
From Nintendo's perspective it's as equivalent as asking why they are not appearing on State of Play?
Not really, as others in the thread have pointed out. MarkMan already confirmed a while back that non-PlayStation fighting games are still fair game. Hell, Tekken 7 was played on PC just last year.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
All of the "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" knee-jerk posts are kind of weird given that Nintendo had zero issue with Smash being at EVO for a decade, and things have changed substantially since the days when they had to be actively pushed into allowing Melee at the event. The reason that Smash isn't at EVO this year is almost certainly due to a chain of events that have happened since the summer of 2020.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Yeah Nintendo being absent most likely has to do with EVO essentially being tainted due to the controversy surrounding Mr. Wizard, that they don't want anything to do with the event for a good long while.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
All good;

I think that with EVO being Sony owned, and posters saying this, this is more of a "I can see how it led to this" kind of thing rather than full-blown console war theories. They can understand more why or how it came to this because it's... definitely a tricky situation to deal with from jump but I sincerely believe that people here aren't believing that Sony is blocking Nintendo or vice-versa based on what we know; there is probably way more that we just don't know yet
Mind, I'm not calling the people citing a possible Sony correlation as "console warriors", I meant it would be a 'console wars decision' from Nintendo to pull out because Sony bought EVO.

Maybe I just don't want to believe they could be that petty to the detriment of gamers.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Sony was the reason here, but rather the reason why management was changed in the first place. If Sony was why, Nintendo wouldn't be actively advertising MLB: The Show in their latest Direct.
Yeah, I'd forgotten that MLB: The Show was a Sony owned series. I suppose that it's probably a combination of the Mr. Wizard stuff and the deal with Panda.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Plus having someone like Sony being in charge of Evo would probably be seen as positive to someone like Nintendo since they are most likely putting in a decent budget into the event (hopefully). Like I fail to see why they wouldn't want to rub it in that they got the most popular game in a Sony owned event, its almost free marketing for Nintendo. So yeah this is not a console wars move, just a good old Nintendo move.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Mind, I'm not calling the people citing a possible Sony correlation as "console warriors", I meant it would be a 'console wars decision' from Nintendo to pull out because Sony bought EVO.

Maybe I just don't want to believe they could be that petty to the detriment of gamers.

Shit, you and me both. And I'll eat that crow if they do turn out to be that petty.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also the statement also makes it clear that they are open to future EVOs having Smash Bros if Nintendo wants.

The door isn't closed.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Do I think Sony owning Evo is part of it? Yeah.

But I feel like this is much more likely:

Given how much the smash community garnered bad press and had a huge amount of notoriously shitty people, I could believe this to be the case. Nintendo don't want their most lauded players being a bunch of rapists and sexual harassers.

The competitive Smash scene hasn't been a media darling.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer but not unexpected with the upcoming Panda series

Oct 26, 2017
Meh. EVO might need Smash, but Smash doesn't need EVO.

I'll be interested to see what makes the cut, and even if a Smash style platform fighter makes the cut.

usagi704

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like that Nintendo can just say a game they publish is not allowed to be a tournament at a major event. Having said that, I won't miss it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
For me this is 100% positive news, as I have zero interest in watching Smash, but I do think Nintendo's being kind of dumb here. Unless this is really required by their deal with Panda, skipping EVO in its comeback year is a shame, even with the Mr. Wizard stink lingering after the management change.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is more Evo got a bad rep and we want to step away, we've already got our own tournament with panda gaming, or we're not developing anymore characters for smash Bros.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Don't like that Nintendo can just say a game they publish is not allowed to be a tournament at a major event. Having said that, I won't miss it.
Literally every game at EVO is subject to the approval of its publisher. If EVO 2020 still happened despite Mr. Wizard's outing as a creep and subsequent sponsor withdrawls, you can be certain that every publisher with a featured game would have forced their game out of the line-up.