• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal

Please join us March 8 at 5pm PST on twitch.tv/evo for the Evo 2022 announcement show! While we're thankful for all the amazing games joining us later this year in Las Vegas, we want to let you know in advance that Super Smash Bros. will not be making a return appearance.

Since 2007, we've seen historic Super Smash Bros. moments created at Evo's events. We are saddened that Nintendo has chosen not to continue that legacy with us this year. In the future, we hope to once again celebrate the Super Smash Bros. community alongside them.

Statement makes it sounds like Nintendo didn't want to play ball with Evo this time around. Unfortunate news regardless.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Nintendo have a separate tournament series organization agreement with Panda Global now?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo being Nintendo, nothing new but still sucks, would have liked to have seen at least one Evo with the complete Ultimate roster :(

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
the announcement of an announcement to let people know Smash won't be a part of the announcement lmao

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Given that EVO is now Sony owned, I wonder if there was a lot more backstory to this than we'll ever realize

Plus, the Smash community will make something like CEO or something their premier event (which has usually rivaled EVO's view count), so let's see if that happens again this time

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Given that EVO is now Sony owned, I wonder if there was a lot more backstory to this than we'll ever realize

Plus, the Smash community will make something like CEO or something their premier event (which has usually rivaled EVO's view count), so let's see if that happens again this time
It's just what I thought, it may be linked to EVO being owned by Sony.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
People will point to Sony owning it. But my guess this is because of Mr. Wizard

Nintendo barely tolerated it before. But after all that shit went down in an event they don't control. They want no Association regardless if They've all been removed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This has zero to do with console wars.

Nintendo's relationship with competitive scenes for their games is...complicated.

17c.png

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
No idea if the Sony acquisition has anything to do with it, but I do kind of think that it might have more to do with Ultimate's development (and thus its marketing) being finished. No more games or character passes to sell and they've never seemed particularly interested in pushing the game's competitive side just for the sake of it if they don't feel there's a direct sales incentive to do so. Disappointing, to say the least, no matter the circumstances.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, nothing that can be done about it then if Nintendo weren't interested. Odd picturing an Evo without Smash at all, even if I never really paid any attention to it there.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Smash has been at EVO for a while now and only after Sony takes over they leave.

What do you think happened?
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with why management was changed in the first place. That said, Nintendo just recently advertised a PlayStation Studios game during a Nintendo Direct, so I'm not sure that's the main cause.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think that era of EVO is over for good, writing was on the wall when Melee got dropped. It was fun while it lasted, at least that Panda Circuit is gonna be around.

Hype as shit for KOFXV this year as far as EVO is concerned

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's relationship with competitive scenes for their games is...complicated.
As if there is no precedence of Nintendo being shitty with tournament organizers.

This doesn't make much sense unless we're ignoring the last near decade of Smash being at evo regularly with Nintendo's approval. Something obviously changed, even if the Sony thing is not the sole reason.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nintendo just parter with an esports group for Smash Bros. as well? I get the vibe they're going 100% "in house" with competitions at this point - if they don't have control they're not interested. That matches their MO with, well, everything else.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This doesn't make much sense unless we're ignoring the last near decade of Smash being at evo regularly with Nintendo's approval. Something obviously changed, even if the Sony thing is not the sole reason.
Yes something changed, Nintendo did. The issue is immediately jumping to console war conspiracy theories as the conclusion.

The new deal with a different eSports group is kinda a big detail.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Sony buying EVO lead to this.

Nintendo went with Panda Global for their majors, playing on an event owned by a competitor is bad optics.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
Can I just get some info on when this will be available at retail.

My fightpad dpad is as close to non responsive as it can get.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo just parter with an esports group for Smash Bros. as well? I get the vibe they're going 100% "in house" with competitions at this point - if they don't have control they're not interested. That matches their MO with, well, everything else.
And as others have brought up, EVO still has to prove itself under new management after Mr. Wizard was, well...