• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Super Smash Bros. Melee return to the main line-up for EVO 2019

• Yes, Melee is simply too big to ditch.

Votes: 171 32.8%
  • No, it’s time for Melee to bow out of the main EVO line-up.

Votes: 350 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
As much as it would improve the viewing experience (I've been to the early game on Sunday morning multiple times... it sucks, even when the event itself ends up being hype as hell), I can't see them giving that up. Too many companies want the extra visibility such a high-profile event gives. As even for something like Xrd last year, there were what, over 100k people watching the finals on stream? Even if that's far lower than games later in the day, that's still way more than it would get on Saturday or if it was on some rando stream being run by ArcSys.

Run both Smashes on Saturday. Nintendo don't care and the Smash community is gonna complain about Evo no matter what.

SAT
BB Tag
SC VI
Smash Ultimate
Smash Melee

SUN
MK 11
Tekken 7
DBFZ
SFV

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Run both Smashes on Saturday. Nintendo don't care and the Smash community is gonna complain about Evo no matter what.
Nintendo definitely do care, that's why they saw fit to announce the Smash Direct last year at Melee finals on Sunday rather than Smash 4 finals on Saturday. Smash is too big not to give at least one Sunday spot.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Both Smash games being on the same day would take fucking forever. Anyone that saw Genesis recently knows that's a terrible idea. A Super Major Smash tournament even struggled to manage that time

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both Smash games being on the same day would take fucking forever. Anyone that saw Genesis recently knows that's a terrible idea. A Super Major Smash tournament even struggled to manage that time

I agree. Two Smash games plus FighterZ? oh hell no (granted FighterZ did start quite late because of other run overs and the ads and reveals between games took up more time)

But whichever Smash game gets on Sunday should go first so they can try and adjust if needed if it runs over

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I said over on twitter, but I really think they should drop a game from Sunday. It runs late every year, but last year was a real debacle, and the running so late actually damages the final game or even last two games as it puts it definitively out of reach for Europeans (unless you're nuts and stay up til 5am like I do) but also you even start to lose East Coast folk to bed when you run that late on a Sunday night. I just feel like they should shift one of the games back to Saturday. If it's 8 games, do 2 on Friday all the way to GFs, 2 on Saturday, then 4 on Sunday. Or 2, 3, 4. 5 has just always felt like a massive stretch, but now they're in the Mandalay Bay it feels like the extra prep and work required on the ground in that huge venue means it really feels out of reach.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it. Could this be the Samurai Showdown reveal as well? It's been rumored to come out first half 2019 and a special tourney on Friday or Saturday could drum up interest

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

SAT
BB Tag
SC VI
Smash Ultimate
Smash Melee

SUN
MK 11
Tekken 7
DBFZ
SFV

This is cool. If you really had to switch one of the smashes for mk11, I'd be okay with that. But this is reasonable. The sfv in the middle of the night is so stupid. it's not even my favorite game there, but it's absolutely the main event. I'm not going to miss it. And while it's kind of fun being up in the middle of night in California screaming at the TV, it's just stupid that it's so far behind schedule.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I would be happy if melee gets axed but i think it pulls in too much money/unique players that they won't axe it.

It will be a Saturday game, actually I'm okay with both Smash games on Saturday

Last edited:

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
What they should do: put melee in the final slot on saturday

What they will do: no idea, I don't know what politics are in play here

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
5 top 8s on Sunday is hella dumb. it never runs on time.

MK, Smash Ultimate, FighterZ and Street Fighter is a fine Sunday lineup.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
SF5
DBFZ
Ultimate
MK11
Tekken 7
Soulcalibur 6
Cross Tag
Xrd Rev 2 and DoA6 or Melee

If Melee is in its 8 games and no GG and DoA6

If Melee is out 9 games with GG and DoA6. Not having to go through a big tournament like Melee opens up a lot of time for other games and should allow 2 smaller titles entrants wise. Also to make up for the loss of Melee players, 2 other games would make sense

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I said over on twitter, but I really think they should drop a game from Sunday. It runs late every year, but last year was a real debacle, and the running so late actually damages the final game or even last two games as it puts it definitively out of reach for Europeans (unless you're nuts and stay up til 5am like I do) but also you even start to lose East Coast folk to bed when you run that late on a Sunday night. I just feel like they should shift one of the games back to Saturday. If it's 8 games, do 2 on Friday all the way to GFs, 2 on Saturday, then 4 on Sunday. Or 2, 3, 4. 5 has just always felt like a massive stretch, but now they're in the Mandalay Bay it feels like the extra prep and work required on the ground in that huge venue means it really feels out of reach.
Agreed, the last thing we need is SFV going on until 1am because of Smash & DBFZ.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

SAT
BB Tag
SC VI
Smash Ultimate
Smash Melee

SUN
MK 11
Tekken 7
DBFZ
SFV
Having both Smash games on Saturday can either be a genius plan or a recipe for disaster (the latter being due to having 2 Smash games on one day, potential delays & all). That plus Ultimate's success kinda warrants the main stage & Nintendo may want to announce something for the Fighters Pass on Sunday. With that in mind, here's my ideal 4-4 set-up for this year if we only get 8 games.
  • Saturday
    • BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
    • Soul Calibur VI
    • Mortal Kombat 11
    • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Sunday
    • Tekken 7
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Dragon Ball FighterZ
    • Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
I guess you could swap Mortal Kombat 11 & Tekken 7 around since MK11 is the newer game, but I'd imagine that Tekken 7 will be the bigger game at EVO.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Having both Smash games on Saturday can either be a genius plan or a recipe for disaster (the latter being due to having 2 Smash games on one day, potential delays & all). That plus Ultimate's success kinda warrants the main stage & Nintendo may want to announce something on the main stage. With that in mind, here's my ideal 4-4 set-up for this year if we only get 8 games.
  • Saturday
    • Soul Calibur VI
    • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Sunday
    • Tekken 7
    • Dragon Ball FighterZ
I guess you could swap Mortal Kombat 11 & Tekken 7 around since MK11 is the newer game, but I'd imagine that Tekken 7 will be the bigger game at EVO.

That looks perfect, actually. Tekken 7 should stay on Sunday.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
1. People need to actually give up on the "what about Europe/Asia/etc timezones". These are events that run on the American schedule, it's the same when an event runs on Europe or Asia (see League of Legends World Championship), either adapt or watch it on VOD.
2. Melee will continue, you can't go against a game that still goes hard.
3. There will be a Friday finals because this is the year where BBCTB or other game will get under 1k, and they can run it in a day.

Friday:
BBCTB

Saturday:
Melee
Tekken 7
SCVI

Sunday:
MK11
Ultimate
DBFZ
SFV

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'll guess:
  • SFV
  • Smash Ultimate
  • DBFZ
  • Tekken 7
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • MK11
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
  • BBCTB
  • DOA6

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games won't be on the same day. Melee will be on Saturday (assuming it's even there), and Ultimate will be on Sunday.

And I hope it'll be on ESPN this year, so they are forced to be on time again.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Having both Smash games on Saturday can either be a genius plan or a recipe for disaster (the latter being due to having 2 Smash games on one day, potential delays & all). That plus Ultimate's success kinda warrants the main stage & Nintendo may want to announce something for the Fighters Pass on Sunday. With that in mind, here's my ideal 4-4 set-up for this year if we only get 8 games.
  • Saturday
    • Soul Calibur VI
    • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Sunday
    • Tekken 7
    • Dragon Ball FighterZ

Actually I'm cool with this list.

With decent planning (even for EVO standards), there's no reason why this Sunday lineup should run over time, and you get good slots for everyone involved (Smash players are used to checking in mid-day and then bouncing, Tekken folks will show up regardless, DBFZ starts early enough to run smoothly while also gaining a big crowd, and SF can still be the prime time without going into ungodly hours in the morning).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Less than an hour before showtime, everyone. Last chance to place your bets.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sunday
SFV:AE
DBFZ
MK11
Smash Ultimate

Saturday
Tekken 7

Soulcalibur VI
Smash Melee
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
God I just dont' want SFV to run late as hell like last year. Had to tap out because the finals were too damn late and I and the rest of the East Coast had to go to work the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.