• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
No offense or anything, but if your stance is this clear on the trolling then why not act on it?
Because I have a job and I can't watch this thread 24/7 (I'm currently on a bathroom break), so maybe instead of participating in a fruitless back and forth with a poster you should use the report button so a mod who has the free time can see it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
FighterZ should climb a couple of places, I expect it to compete with Mortal Kombat for 4th place. We still need information about the World Tour hopefully EVO is an event this year.

No chance, MK11 is going to get a big spike in numbers once it's released. I'm actually kinda surprised DBFZ is below UNIST, but at the same time not. Hell Sam Sho might even overtake it if the release has good reception.

Oct 25, 2017
No chance, MK11 is going to get a big spike in numbers once it's released. I'm actually kinda surprised it's below UNIST, but at the same time not. Hell Sam Sho might even overtake it if the release has good reception.
yeaaaah MK11 is gonna be huge. It's coming out at the perfect time, when SFV is in a bit of a lull in terms of content releases / updates.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
yeaaaah MK11 is gonna be huge. It's coming out at the perfect time, when SFV is in a bit of a lull in terms of content releases / updates.
There's like 4 months until MK gets released, and SFV gets updated (if it'll). It's plenty of time for MK to die out after NRS repeat the same cycle of releasing broken characters at the launch of the game and the game to die out. Or vice versa.

Oct 25, 2017
That's my point, it's 4 months between MK11 and SFV support until EVO. My point is SFV is ""dead"" now, but it can be updated until then, they have 4 months.
Eh dunno, could be different this time. MK11 has a lot more going for it than previous NRS games did. It might have a big enough launch and gain enough momentum to have a decent presence in the FGC.

This is all assuming its actually a good game of course.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, top 16 for NorCal Regionals Street Fighter V was pretty hype... first time in a long time honestly. I still think season 2.5 was the most hype, but this season might actually be quite good. The great thing about this season of street fighter is that so many characters are viable as opposed to last season. Season 2.5 also seemed very balanced. Last years season was so wack in my opinion

Tekken 7 is really good, not much else to say.

Competitive Smash Ultimate is kinda hit or miss, I mean it's good but the top tiers aren't as exciting to me gameplay wise (swordies in particular). I hope the final game at evo is smash ultimate, so I can sip the top 8 if it isn't too interesting. Also the game is all over the place with so many matchups.
I still enjoy watching it sometimes.

Hopefully, MK 11 is good and fun to watch. Never really enjoyed watching those games for some reason.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Step back asshole. It's Wargods's time to shine.
ShimmeringGoodEchidna-size_restricted.gif

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
If you say so. SFV had double the entries of any other game at NCR last weekend.
I think partially because CPT has started, other events haven't started their circuits but regardless street fighter would've still been on top. Smash has its own majors.

A lot of people look at Street Fighter 5 as a collective, but it honestly really depends on the season. The season last year was one of the most uninteresting seasons, with the least character diversity probably since season 1. This season looks really promising. Extremely promising just off recent events. Also, lots of top players are really proficient with at least two characters now, so matchups are getting very interesting.

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
SamSho seems to have gained a small boost since the first numbers, now gaining past SC. Wonder if the recent trailers and PAX appearance helped.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my point, it's 4 months between MK11 and SFV support until EVO. My point is SFV is ""dead"" now, but it can be updated until then, they have 4 months.

SFV support is probably on its last legs, a year earlier than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom hasn't already started work on SFVI (though we won't see SFVI until PS5 is announced)

Soul Calibur really deserves better attendance- game's been putting out some banger top 8's and it's fun at all levels.

As for SamSho, it's got the new game lottery factor, and I think a lot of folks want to get in on it before it dies- even the hardcore SamSho fans (who are all happy as hell with what they're seeing) are predicting the game won't last that long competitively.

The PC delay on Samsho really hurts the game though- Samsho community is heavily PC due to them getting Special alive over GGPO and Kaillera over the years, and the SamSho community being good. Samsho might be the first EVO game where the average entrant age is over 30.

Personally, and I hate saying this, but I think it's true- SNK should have remade Last Blade instead.

Last edited:

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't follow the scene much these days, can someone help me understand the big numbers of entrants for Uniel and the rather disappointing numbers for FighterZ?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

SFV back above Tekken 7
UNIST 4th holy shit and SamSho has jumped up the charts.
MK11 should very well be at least 4th by the time EVO rolls around but the whole custom variations thing needs to be cleared up for competitive play to take off

I don't follow the scene much these days, can someone help me understand the big numbers of entrants for Uniel and the rather disappointing numbers for FighterZ?

UNIST isn't a game that has sold in the same galaxy as most of that list but it has a sizable grassroots community that is basically the reason it ever made it to EVO in the first place.
Interest in FighterZ fell off hard after last EVO. The weak season 2 we've seen so far hasn't helped.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Turns out competitive DBFZ is fucking brutal and not the casual player's stepping stone into the FGC that people thought it would be.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Interest in FighterZ fell off hard after last EVO. The weak season 2 we've seen so far hasn't helped.
Turns out competitive DBFZ is fucking brutal and not the casual player's stepping stone into the FGC that people thought it would be.
These things, plus the initial uncertainty caused by Shueisha scuttling tournaments before Bamco sorted it out, no one would've wanted to do what some players had to before in canceling trips/hotel arrangements over that. Could still do a bit better in rankings, but it was never going to do Evo 2018 numbers again. Not being a Sunday finals game this time doesn't do it any favors, either.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like with those big numbers and all, can Smash finally be the final game played on Sunday?

Would be nice to finally be able to go to sleep early for work -_-

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
SF V despite being "dead" is more alive in the eSport scene than some recent and more successful fighting games lol

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
CPT is so good this year. I can't wait to see some Smug and Strider G action! I really want to see someone destroying with Cody. Why doesn't Shazzy enter any of these comps?

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017

DBFZ, at least in some peoples' eyes, is quite lacking as a competitive game. After the initial spike of its first year/season, It has lost some steam as a tournament property, not just with EVO but at tournaments in general. It's settled in as a game that gets good entry and viewer numbers, but no longer exceptional.

UNIEL being #4 is kind of a phenomenon, really.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SS getting that many entrance is awesome. Top 8 gonna be all old school Japanese arcade monsters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FighterZ has been on a bit of a downtrend overall following criticism against the game's mechanics and how little was done to remedy them in recent history. It wasn't helped by tournaments dropping the game for seemingly no reason, as well as DLC not being that exciting. It had a lot of hype on the back of being a "Marvel" type game when Marvel let people down, its amazing presentation, and some early organic rivalries, but eventually it boiled down to a lot of style over substance. UNIST in comparison is the anime FGCs darling and a grassroots favorite. It's one of the most mechanically complex fighters and has a great style to it, having evolved from Melty Blood. It's the brand of games that players like GO1 came from before jumping over to DBFZ. Probably the only game in the FGC that beats it in terms of grassroots following is Melee, and now that it has a chance on the main stage, it's bound to get a bunch of support. They've been biding their time for this moment, so they have to show up.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I still can't believe that DBFZ was called the Marvel "replacement".

Infinite wasn't my cup of tea but I still think that it was killed too suddenly.