• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Why did the floor fall out from under DBZF? I know there was controversy about it not appearing in some FGC events, but I don't think that'd explain why it's not doing so hot for EVO.
It's boring. Almost every character has the same gameplan and mixups. Games take forever. Blockstrings are stupid good.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arc really have no one but themselves to blame for how hard BBTAG has fallen off. People don't want to keep playing something where there are no significant changes for ten months while one team runs roughshod over every other combination, with most other players no longer paying attention after it took half a year to confirm that the game isn't dead while the next patch is put off so that Japanese arcades can get it first, who knew? As for SCVI, a season pass that still isn't done half a year after the game's launch even though it's only four characters (the first of whom was intended for the base game but locked away as a pre-order bonus instead), along with Project Soul never knowing when to stop patching their game's balance, are things that have likely done them no favors, but namely the constant rebalancing.
At time I wish DBFZ had BBTAG's mechanics. BBTAG seemed like such an interesting game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why did the floor fall out from under DBZF? I know there was controversy about it not appearing in some FGC events, but I don't think that'd explain why it's not doing so hot for EVO.
I always believed it'd fall off a bit after its first year, and the controversy about its tournament appearance last year didn't help for sure. With that said, I'm sure it'll pick back up, but it seems like the title failed to grab most of the Marvel fanbase for longer than one would hope so, hence the decline in popularity (Also Bardock every fucking where got old really fast).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with these DBFZ numbers? I didn't expect it to chart lower than UNIEST at any point in the process. The stuff below it all makes perfect sense, but jeeze.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
What's up with these DBFZ numbers? I didn't expect it to chart lower than UNIEST at any point in the process. The stuff below it all makes perfect sense, but jeeze.
The game basically hasn't evolved in a year, and recent patches have only made the game stricter.

BBTAG and DBFZ aren't victims of dev support or lack thereof, they're victims of themselves.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
DBFZ is boring to watch and that's with Yipes and Chris Matrix on the mic. Remove those two and it's a real draaaaag. There's no reason why the fights should take a day and a half.

I don't know if anyone will be able to fill the void left by MAHVEL

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The game basically hasn't evolved in a year, and recent patches have only made the game stricter.
That's a shame. There's just so much mismanagement going around I guess. I know SCVI was basically killed by how they've handled balance patches and DLC, but I had hoped DBFZ would be done better.

Apr 9, 2018
UNIST getting in kinda stole all the anime novelty factor away from BBTag, I think even if it had gotten the balance patch sooner it wasn't gonna put up numbers this year.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
There's no balance patch in the world that would have saved BBTAG, game fell off hard after EVO last year.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The best selling fighting game of all time will have the most entrants at EVO as it should be.

I don't think Tekken being above SFV is an indictment on SFV just more shows how strong Tekken's competitive scene is. Would be crazy if they're up YoY again

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always believed it'd fall off a bit after its first year, and the controversy about its tournament appearance last year didn't help for sure. With that said, I'm sure it'll pick back up, but it seems like the title failed to grab most of the Marvel fanbase for longer than one would hope so, hence the decline in popularity (Also Bardock every fucking where got old really fast).
It will pick up but I honestly believe it wont pick up by much. As good as the game is, it's really lacking in a lot of areas where i am not surprised at the sharp drop off. You can say that the tournament drama surrounding toei was a factor but the fact that it was announced for evo should of shown that evo was not being affected.

BBTAG and DBFZ aren't victims of dev support or lack thereof, they're victims of themselves.
Arc sys played everything waaaaaay too safe when developing DBFZ. And it shows after a year.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
There's no balance patch in the world that would have saved BBTAG, game fell off hard after EVO last year.
If not a balance patch, announcing Arcana Heart sooner (and not sitting on that reveal for SIX MONTHS) would've kept some buzz around the game. But, nah gotta delay that announcement for the arcade version that only the Japanese will be able to play am i right?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with DBFZ it was somewhat of a victim of complacency. The hype was immense at first, especially off of Marvel not giving people what they want, but it was somewhat evident early on that the game had some glaring mechanics issues that Arc/Bamco hadn't been willing to address for a long time. I know the only reason I stayed invested in DBFZ after the first couple of months was just because the game had some early rivalries and unlikely contenders that had come about organically, but after Summit of Power and EVO 2018, my interest in the game really dwindled once I realized I felt like I had seen almost all these games play out before. It felt like they were basically okay with letting the game coast after its early success in spite of itself. Couple that with the game being pulled from multiple major tournaments, and I guess possible disinterest in the selection of DLC characters, it's not as exciting to follow. I feel like Marvel 3 had way more depth and energy, even when Vergil / Doom was at its worst and TOD was the name of the game.

UNIST meanwhile has been the grassroots favorite for years now, it's the closest game the FGC has had to its own "Melee". It's the game the anime FGC are the loudest and proudest about. It has so much nuance and depth to it, some of the most crazy sets I've seen be played out, and they're finally getting a shot at the big leagues. Obviously the people who've been rallying for this one are gonna come out in droves. GO1 used to be a UNIST/Melty player before the public ended up knowing him more for DBFZ, and I think he's gearing up to enter EVO as well. I wouldn't be surprised if UNIST is hoarding up some of BBTag's entrants.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The best selling fighting game of all time will have the most entrants at EVO as it should be.

I don't think Tekken being above SFV is an indictment on SFV just more shows how strong Tekken's competitive scene is. Would be crazy if they're up YoY again

It's both an indictment of SFV and a testament to Tekken's growth. That's just how significant the gap used to be.

Doesn't help SFV that Capcom is being really silent about their plans for it and the future.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
the good thing about ultimate being number one is that quits the narrative that the smash community(smash 4, brawl) needs melee to survive and can stand on his own merits in the FGC and as a esports, the game has very good balance and the vast majority of the mechanics are viable but not overpowered.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you make a line up when there was no release of a game from your line up.
What if it's trash?
Oh right, mk11 is an exception cause you know what to expect and you know it's trash.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
How do you make a line up when there was no release of a game from your line up.
What if it's trash?
Oh right, mk11 is an exception cause you know what to expect and you know it's trash.
These are all trusted companies making these games. We know what to expect from SNK and NRS. The likelihood of an unreleased game being terrible is very small at this point. The EVO staff know that they're doing.
But also Street Fighter x Tekken.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue with BBTAG is just that it's ultimately still feels a bit frankensteind together from parts of other games.

With DBZ I guess it's similar to the Netherrealm games in that it got a lot of casual players on board that don't really stick around competitively longterm.

Apr 9, 2018
yeah BBTag is fun but also feels a bit like a proof of concept for an accessible anime FG rather than the final product of that concept.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ was almost always going to see a decline this year. It happens with every Marvel/Versus type game. People drop off when other people become too good or they stop seeing progress. It's also not as exciting/fun as Marvel (imo) which hurts it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At this rate, I'll be competing in the two smallest pools at EVO this year.

I'm gonna drown in a foot of water! \o/

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if it's trash?
MK11 actually has better footsies than SFV. How the mighty have fallen.

9Ebk.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ is where it deserves. Boring-ass thing to watch, and Arc hasn't made any changes to mitigate how repetitive every match is or how long they go.

You know after quite enjoying SFV finals at NorCal being played at 1PM PST last weekend, I actually hope SFV doesn't go last at Evo this year. Let another fanbase deal with that shit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ is where it deserves. Boring-ass thing to watch, and Arc hasn't made any changes to mitigate how repetitive every match is or how long they go.

You know after quite enjoying SFV finals at NorCal being played at 1PM PST last weekend, I actually hope SFV doesn't go last at Evo this year. Let another fanbase deal with that shit.

I'd rather Smash go last. As the other option would be Tekken 7, but I actually really want to watch that game without staying up late (competitive T7 has been fantastic to watch for a while now, I've still not actually played it but always enjoy watching it).

Not sure about SFV - I still enjoy watching it but I've kinda come to terms that aside from monthly Capcom crossover costumes its not getting anymore meaningful content (as in, more characters) so my hype for it in this years Evo has cooled a bit (though really, they weren't gonna top G and Sagat reveals anyway).

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
FighterZ should climb a couple of places, I expect it to compete with Mortal Kombat for 4th place. We still need information about the World Tour hopefully EVO is an event this year.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
All this arguing over which FG is better/worse.

Don't worry everyone.

Every single game in the lineup is absolute garbage.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
My take

Smash: No surprise, probably this year's DB with a lot of people just entering because why not

Tekken: Has the hype of a new TWT behind it and had a good season 2

SF: Its SF and will probably climb to 2nd place in the end

MK11: first year of a new NRS fighter is always solid question is where will it be next year

Unist: game is a Evo main game and everyone who plays Unist and can make it to Evo probably registered the moment they were able to. Some who would have otherwise focused on BB might be focusing on Unist instead as well

DBFZ: I don't think the game went the way people were hoping for in terms of both balance as well as system changes.

Samsho: Might climb after release

SC6: bit all over the place patching and some uncertainty in regards to longterm support for the game. Also Evo is expensive so those French players need to get to Evo in the first place

BBTag: opposite of SC6 in regards to patching where the game has felt stagnant with a top team people are sick of seeing also uncertainty in regards to long time support for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
All this arguing over which FG is better/worse.

Don't worry everyone.

Every single game in the lineup is absolute garbage.
Can't wait for EVO to host a real fighting game. #WhensKarnovsRevenge?
Not so friendly reminder to stop feeding the trolls.
No offense or anything, but if your stance is this clear on the trolling then why not act on it?

Unless you aren't referring to the guy I think you are, then my apologies.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
When trying to spin narratives on SFV right now, just remember that last year DBFZ had a HUGE lead in the early regs per MrWiz, and by the time it was closed, it barely held on to beat SFV.