• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
F.A.T.A.L RPG, Fantasy Adventure to Adult Lechery.
EDIT: Beaten. Anyway, I recommend reading this review of it: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

This review is quite something. That FATAL game seems like a huge pile of steaming shit. This part of the review is frankly amazing.
There's not really a whole lot of ways that I can get around this:
FATAL, as a whole, is your chance to stop being the good guy and start being the soulless rapist that you and your tiny clique of brain-dead morons knew they could be. You can come home from a long day of being shunned by anybody with a soul, wipe the pepper spray from your eyes, scuttle down into the cold concrete of the basement and engage in what amounts to a verbal circle-jerk with a clique of people just as terribly broken as you are.

May 13, 2019
Just wait until you figure out who Lovecraft is describing in The Horror at Red Hook

Lovecraft referred to the area's immigrant population by referring to Red Hook as "a maze of hybrid squalor".[3] He spelled out his inspiration for "The Horror at Red Hook" in a letter written to fellow writer Clark Ashton Smith:
The idea that black magic exists in secret today, or that hellish antique rites still exist in obscurity, is one that I have used and shall use again. When you see my new tale "The Horror at Red Hook", you will see what use I make of the idea in connexion with the gangs of young loafers & herds of evil-looking foreigners that one sees everywhere in New York.
Lovecraft had moved to New York to marry Sonia Greene a year earlier, in 1924; his initial infatuation with New York soon soured (an experience fictionalized in his short story "He"), in large part due to Lovecraft's xenophobic attitudes. "Whenever we found ourselves in the racially mixed crowds which characterize New York, Howard would become livid with rage," Greene later wrote. "He seemed almost to lose his mind."

Jesus Christ, dude. Literally going into a frothing ire over brown/black people in his vicinity.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of people in the replies who are either incredulous at the idea of calling Lovecraft racist or clearly think this is a video game is entertaining.

Good on them for making such a clear statement. I also need to take a look into some of those books they mentioned.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Lovecraft was a creative mind who made his fears into a new genre. His fears were mostly born of racism tho, and denying it makes no one a favour. And getting mad because someone calls an author who talks about "mongoloid races breeding" a racist, makes no fucking sense.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the "if you don't agree don't buy it" argument, it's not a good response to criticism (it's often used by bigots when minorities have issues with a piece of media). That said, fuck count dumbfuckular, hypocritical piece of shit

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
as a huge fan of Lovecraft's work*, it still pleasantly surprises and kind of astonishes me whenever people seem to just find out about his cat's name and his blatant, excessive-even-by-the-standards-of-the-time racism. dude was a freakish insane garbage bag who was literally in constant fear of everything that wasn't... well, H.P. Lovecraft.

as we've seen from the tweets, edgelords and fuckfaces the world over will fall all over themselves exclaiming that Howie did nothing wrong - they, like him, are of course capital W wrong, but there will never be any convincing them.

like Evil Hat seems to be doing, the best we can accomplish going forward is taking what he refined - which is a genuinely interesting and welcome addition of cosmicism and existential meaninglessness to the horror milieu - and continue to improve upon it, which will of course inevitably (and necessarily) require inclusion. the list of works they included, such as Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe, Ballad of Black Tom, and Hammers on Bone (i'd also recommend Lovecraft Country) are excellent places to start and i hope we see more like them as time goes on.

*well, maybe not his "work" specifically (although there are stories of his that i love) so much as the concept of what we refer to as "Lovecraftian horror".

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
HP Lovecraft: I hate other races.
Developers: Lovecraft was racist.
Anime avatar: UM ACTUALLY

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if I had previously looked up the cat's name and then forgot/repressed it but holy fucking lol I was not ready for that

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
We stan. But seriously, lovecraft was a HUGE racist, even by his time's standards. I have zero doubt that were he alive today he'd be a member of a hate group, minimun.
Also was not aware of some of those recs of works done by mythos fans that lovecraft would consider subhuman, still have a way to go on the list but it's always nice to get more readin recs.
He would be on Twitter spewing white supremacy garbage all day long.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I love the modern stories that are inspired by his works while also calling out he was a shitty racist.

"Carter and Lovecraft" is a series about a PI and Lovecraft's granddaughter, who is black and revels in that fact considering his views, dealing with cosmic nightmares.

I've not read Lovecraft Country, but I hope they address what he was in that series as well.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought everyone one and their mums knew Lovecraft was extremely racist. Are these neck beards just mad that someone else pointed that out?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
That fucking cat name man. The story in which it appears is one of my absolute favorites of his too and everytime I read it it's like a fuckin' giant ass record scratch every 20 seconds.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I knew HP Lovecraft was racist and antisemetic... but holy shit that cat name is really over the top wtf

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good replies in that thread, too. The usual centrist "intolerant left" bullshit, sure, but there are some smart people speaking up too.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as a huge fan of Lovecraft's work*, it still pleasantly surprises and kind of astonishes me whenever people seem to just find out about his cat's name and his blatant, excessive-even-by-the-standards-of-the-time racism. dude was a freakish insane garbage bag who was literally in constant fear of everything that wasn't... well, H.P. Lovecraft.

as we've seen from the tweets, edgelords and fuckfaces the world over will fall all over themselves exclaiming that Howie did nothing wrong - they, like him, are of course capital W wrong, but there will never be any convincing them.

like Evil Hat seems to be doing, the best we can accomplish going forward is taking what he refined - which is a genuinely interesting and welcome addition of cosmicism and existential meaninglessness to the horror milieu - and continue to improve upon it, which will of course inevitably (and necessarily) require inclusion. the list of works they included, such as Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe, Ballad of Black Tom, and Hammers on Bone (i'd also recommend Lovecraft Country) are excellent places to start and i hope we see more like them as time goes on.

*well, maybe not his "work" specifically (although there are stories of his that i love) so much as the concept of what we refer to as "Lovecraftian horror".
Can we please stop spreading this nonsense that HP Lovecrafts racism "exceeded even the standards of the time racism". Anytime I hear somebody say this, I know they don't know shit about American history and all the shit that occurred during Lovecraft's lifetime.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldent be hard to acknowledge basic reality that Lovecraft was a racist piece of garbage. This is where we at with the pathetic culture wars

Miyazaki was smart to only base Bloodborne on general inspiration of Lovecraftian ethos rather than get into those kinds of weeds

If anything bloodborne kind of flips the message of Lovecraft by making everything an open secret controlled by the highest orders of a society and not some backwards people living in the middle of nowhere.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
This shouldn't be controversial. Lovecraft was VERY racist and anti-semitic.
Edit: Lovecraft didn't join the Klan probably because of class snobbishness, not because of disagreement.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
As it should be with every game imo.

The devs have the right to do what they want, if you don't like it, do not buy it, it's that simple. Be it characters, story or anything really.

@Edit
As long as you are not breaking any law that is.

As long as you think the same freedom extends to platform holders and they can deny a game for whatever reason. Like Sony/Steam etc. And social media platforms should have the freedom to remove whatever person they want from their ecosystem for whatever reason.