• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Half-Life was my favourite series once upon a time. That's where the last part of my name comes from. But I'm torn because this is going to be incredibly expensive - to buy a VR set and then import it...I don't even want to calculate the total 😔

It also doesn't help that I've never really had interest in other VR games.
If you have a VR capable PC already then a headset could only cost you $200-400 since you don't need to fish out $1000 for an Index to play SteamVR games. This is also 1 of 3 Valve VR games, so you'll have their other titles in the future including all the other great VR exclusives and ports.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Finally watching the video.
He keeps saying this will be "the best looking VR game you've ever seen" and talks about how detailed the city and stuff is. How does he know this? All he has to go by are strings that were left in different source engine 2 games. I know VNN is hyperbole a lot of the time but man, he's just making stuff up at this point (Unless somebody behind the scenes has provided him with leaked information)
Tyler has his sources ;^)

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If you have a VR capable PC already then a headset could only cost you $200-400 since you don't need to fish out $1000 for an Index to play SteamVR games. This is also 1 of 3 Valve VR games, so you'll have their other titles in the future including all the other great VR exclusives and ports.

I don't think its wise to recommend dropping serious bucks on the premise of valve releasing two more VR games. No way is that a guarantee.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't think its wise to recommend dropping serious bucks on the premise of valve releasing two more VR games. No way is that a guarantee.
Alright, well there's still the other VR games which are starting to heat up now with AAA releases.

I suppose you have Boneworks as well as a bridge to Valve as it's very Half Life inspired.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Finally watching the video.
He keeps saying this will be "the best looking VR game you've ever seen" and talks about how detailed the city and stuff is. How does he know this? All he has to go by are strings that were left in different source engine 2 games. I know VNN is hyperbole a lot of the time but man, he's just making stuff up at this point (Unless somebody behind the scenes has provided him with leaked information)
Like you said, it's VNN, so it's mostly baseless hype.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
On the one hand new Half-Life content excites me. On the other hand my previous experiences with VR (VR nausea) fill me with dread. Arggghhhhhhh. :(

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I see that port begging being completely acceptable for PC-only releases and VR-only games continues.

That being said, I am very excited for this. I'm sure Valve will come up with something to take VR to the next level.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ugh, I watched the video and it's all speculation.

I'd love for Half-Life VR to be real but this sure isn't an announcement.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
"Only" $200-$400US is not an insignificant sum. I don't live in the US, and don't get paid in US, and would have to factor in shipping and customs fees as I mentioned. That's money I could put towards a new PC build or console or something else I'm likely to get more use out of. So for me personally, I don't know if it's worth it.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"Only" $200-$400US is not an insignificant sum. I don't live in the US, and don't get paid in US, and would have to factor in shipping and customs fees as I mentioned. That's money I could put towards a new PC build or console or something else I'm likely to get more use out of. So for me personally, I don't know if it's worth it.
Wait for a reveal in the upcoming weeks and decide then.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
what do we suppose the odds of a PSVR release are? its been what, 8 years since Portal 2 released on consoles?

Its cool n all that theyre pushing a true killer app, but i dont have £2k to drop on a rig and a headset capable of running this if its Vive exclusive :/
Despite what others are saying, the odds are a lot better than any of Oculus's games coming to PSVR. That doesn't mean the odds are good, but I'm saying there's a chance.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I still believe in Valve's ability to craft an engaging and creative video game, if only for my unforgettable time spent with Half Life and the Portal series. Let's do this!

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
AAA VR exclusive in development for roughly 4 years intended to be a killer app to get people to buy into VR.
[*]Singleplayer game where you play as Alyx Vance across a 12-16 hour story - meant as a prequel to 2.
]

Disgusting.

I kid. It's definitely not for me, but I can see the appeal and an actual Half-Life product would be exciting after so long.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
1. This doesn't seem very credible so the title should say Rumor because right now it reads like it is official from an official source when it's actually an amateur speculation video with no guarantees from Valve themselves

2. I don't have a PC and can't buy one for this game alone... all the other games I want for VR have been on PSVR. I'm not into Valve's current philosophy of getting frustrated at making major games and thus stopping their buzz as a developer almost completely among players. Strange how poorly they managed life after a string of gaining a mass console and non-VR following several years back.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see Valve help bring VR into the mainstream. I'm honestly not a big Half Life fan, but there is no denying how innovative Valve can be, and anything that helps VR grow and evolve is a great thing in my book.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. This doesn't seem very credible so the title should say Rumor because right now it reads like it is official from an official source when it's actually an amateur speculation video with no guarantees from Valve themselves

2. I don't have a PC and can't buy one for this game alone... all the other games I want for VR have been on PSVR. I'm not into Valve's current philosophy of getting frustrated at making major games and thus stopping their buzz as a developer almost completely among players. Strange how poorly they managed life after a string of gaining a mass console and non-VR following several years back.
I'm going to echo:
He knows what he's talking about
^ this. For better or worse, Tyler (often, and in this case) does know what he's talking about.

With that said, yah, definitely rumor status.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Orange Box (Team Fortress 2, Portal) released Oct 10th 2007
Half Life 2 released Nov 14th, 2004

i'd guess Nov 14th announce/release makes sense, its a thursday

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the source is usually reputable, but a reveal late October or even in November and a release this year? A lengthy campaign with brand new content? Sure it may be a prequel but it's still the one and only proper Half-Life game in over a decade and it's supposedly coming out in a couple weeks? Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Half-Life. Bummer they are pushing VR hard, heavily limiting the game's potential in the process.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, VR is the only way to revive the franchise. A big part of HL2 was the impressive physics interactions, and the way to make a 'pick up that can' moment interesting again is if you're crouching down and crushing it in your hand.

Hopefully it is something that releases soon, because I feel like Valve could end up missing the boat on dazzling people with what can be done.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Despite what others are saying, the odds are a lot better than any of Oculus's games coming to PSVR. That doesn't mean the odds are good, but I'm saying there's a chance.

I look at it another way: If this was about releasing a game that could make the most money (which releasing on PSVR woud admittedly help), it would have just been a 2D only game. This is about driving the SteamVR platform.

I know the source is usually reputable, but a reveal late October or even in November and a release this year? A lengthy campaign with brand new content? Sure it may be a prequel but it's still the one and only proper Half-Life game in over a decade and it's supposedly coming out in a couple weeks? Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Half-Life. Bummer they are pushing VR hard, heavily limiting the game's potential in the process.

Valve has proven conclusively they're not going to expand. Whereas most AAA games have 1000+ member teams, Valve as a whole refuses to budge from a head count of around 300. They're not entering that modern AAA space and people should just make peace with it. Only way we're getting a new HL game is if it can be made by a relatively small team. It's this or nothing.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
NGL if this is an actual full featured new Half-Life game then I guess I need to get VR.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That's a pretty backwards statement. The opposite is true. The FPS genre has stagnated so much lately that there is little room to push for innovation. In VR, you can break the genre wide open and allow for a myriad of groundbreaking mechanics not just for the FPS genre, but for gaming itself. This seems to be moreso a misconception on your part from not having used VR before. So actually, If this was a non-VR game, it would be severely limited for the FPS genre now that VR is here.

Boneworks for example, is a good example of just how extensive changes can be in VR, and is clear inspiration for the continued development of HLVR:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If Valve seriously RELEASES a new game around a month from now I will find it strange that they put zero effort into marketing.

Getting news like this from VNN is sort of helpful because IF I'm inclined to trust his long standing reputation then I can reconsider how I plan to spend my entertainment dollars accordingly. That's one of the reasons Valve should be officially marketing the game themselves.

Well we'll see soon enough if Valve seriously made a mistake in planning here or VNN jumped the gun on info they shouldn't have disclosed because the release was pushed back.

Oct 27, 2017
For a single headset sure. Not when you combine all PCVR headsets though, and all those will work with this.
PSVR and PS4 specs probably prevent this port from happening anyway, tho 100M users should at least be somewhat tempting.

maybe PSVr2 on PS5? Wishful thinking I guess.

I'm not familiar with PCVR headsets, do we treat them as one platform or is there enough fragmentation they are all separate platforms?

I will say I think an Orange Box remaster, without TF2 even, would work great on current consoles and especially PSVR

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wow. This may push me to buy the Oculus Link cable if it doesn't come to PSVR.

Even if it does come to PSVR, I'd still rather play it on my Quest so Oculus Link cable may be mine one day anyways.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I look at it another way: If this was about releasing a game that could make the most money (which releasing on PSVR woud admittedly help), it would have just been a 2D only game. This is about driving the SteamVR platform.
You're not wrong. But I think we could probably have said the same about The Orange Box, and Valve is also extremely interested in pushing VR in general as a platform/medium. Porting to PSVR would be more about that as opposed to making more money. Again, not saying it's likely they'll port to PSVR(2), just that there's a slight chance and I wouldn't immediately count it out like I would Oculus exclusives.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

They already confirmed it back in 2016. There will be 3 full budget VR games.

PSVR and PS4 specs probably prevent this port from happening anyway, tho 100M users should at least be somewhat tempting.

maybe PSVr2 on PS5? Wishful thinking I guess.

I'm not familiar with PCVR headsets, do we treat them as one platform or is there enough fragmentation they are all separate platforms?

I will say I think an Orange Box remaster, without TF2 even, would work great on current consoles and especially PSVR

PSVR for PS5 sure if they make it more in line with PCVR, and I really hope they do so PSVR users can play some of the awesome stuff that we have on PC like Pavlov and Blade & Sorcery or even upcoming Boneworks.
As for if they're their own platforms not really. Oculus likes to try and have their own exclusives, but you can download ReVive that let's you by pass that and let you play the games through that. Everything else plays through Steam.

heavily limiting the game's potential in the process.

How so?

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Very intrigued.

Couple of questions however with no agenda I promise, but just genuine interest to understand the chances of this rumour being true:

How much of the Half-Life and Portal talent is still at Valve?

Has anyone done any LinkedIn stalking to see how many game programmers/producers/artists/designers/etc are currently working for Valve? Do they have a big enough team right now to actually be working on a major AAA title like this?

How am I supposed to play a VR game with a toddler? Even after he goes to bed I need to listen/look out for the baby monitor. I'd have to be VRing after my wife goes to bed so I'd be on baby monitor duty. Might be a good few years before I get to play it :( But I have an amazing toddler so :) But Half-Life :( Argh.

VR is so cumbersome and anti-social come to think of it. Even if it's a wonderfully awesome and immersive experience.

Prequel to 2 and vr only.

Fucking greaaaaaaaaat.............
But can you imagine the backlash if this were Half-Life 3 and it were VR only?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty skeptical, since no kind of hard proof was ever provided, but if true I'm glad that Valve is doing something. Maybe it being a prequel is the only way they could actually make it, because they're too paralyzed by what they've done to the story. It's pretty much the most believable detail about this.

That being said, I'm probably waiting for PS5 Pro and PS5 VR before I try VR, so let's hope it's compatible by then, either by official releaseor modding.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
What is meant by locomotion options? Keyboard and Mouse movement? I really don't like teleport movement used for VR fps games.