• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As before I'm going crazy with tiny things. Like getting a damn painting to stay in a group so it moves with it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6B9yTgg.gif

Holy shit this is making the wait even more painful..

What the....

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
RIP anyone with a low bandwidth connection

I really don't understand how people are making complete games so quickly. I spent 5 hours yesterday working on two parts of a character's leg.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
RIP anyone with a low bandwidth connection

I really don't understand how people are making complete games so quickly. I spent 5 hours yesterday working on two parts of a character's leg.

Same. some of those are on their 2nd or third, all of high quality. I spent two hours trying to get a paint stroke to stay stuck on a thing :p

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are some really impressive creations, maybe someone should make a thread about them for others to see? People still think Dreams is just a simple creations tool.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i really don't understand the point of the NDA besides the fact the game is still in the beta state.

fake edit: also, is it possible for you to share assets with friends or an small group?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Prob use other people's characters and or logics which they tweak it sure helps make things quicker

Maybe, but some of the things we've seen are all sculpted by one person. I think the DS4 could be holding me back a bit on that.

i really don't understand the point of the NDA besides the fact the game is still in the beta state.

fake edit: also, is it possible for you to share assets with friends or an small group?

Because they don't want negative opinions about Dreams getting out there based on experiences with beta software. Sony/Mm want to control how the game is shown and revealed. In this particular case, they don't want legal attention for IP violations.

You can share assets with a group only if you make them collaborators in a project. But you can't share a creation with only a limited list. It's either all or nothing.

Feb 26, 2018
In a way I see Dreams as a way to grow new blood for gamedev. So much potential for kids or even adults to find some hidden talent. Sony should not fuck this up and market it like crazy.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Here's a tip I've only just become aware of. I'm sure some here may already know this but some won't:

If you decide to make a game or scene, make each prop separately and save them out as assets. Then start a fresh sculpt and use all the assets you've created for that game/scene. The reason for this is, if you then update one of the separate sculpts, it automatically updates it in the completed scene. It's sort of like live cloning but for the whole project.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Now that people have played the beta.. Is it possible to make a point and click game like the old Lucasarts games? Maniac Mansion?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Same. some of those are on their 2nd or third, all of high quality. I spent two hours trying to get a paint stroke to stay stuck on a thing :p

Hey, I've spent an entire day trying to make a chain link fence.

edit: and I've just realised I wasted a ton of time because I wasn't cloning it the right way.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Put a decent amount of time in now, and it's absolutely delivered for me. I've always believed in Dreams conceptually but Media Molecule have really delivered here and the quality of some of the games out there already is incredible and you get the feeling that the bar is going to be continually raised as people start to figure out the best ways to use these tools.

I wasn't entirely sure how I'd personally find Dreams, as a game dev and programmer, I've never particularly wanted to work on games in my own time, but the collaborative nature here really makes up for my weaknesses. I'm never going to be much good as a sculpter, animator or composer - so being able to just search and find assets is a god send. Equally I can also publish the elements I'm particularly suited to making on the logic/mathematical side of things. These two things have made me a creator in Dreams in a way that I never was in LittleBigPlanet. I published my first game today for the jam, just a minigame really, but still really satisfied by it.

There's definitely areas I would like to see them work on for sure (and I'll leave that for the private forums), but I have no fears for this game any more. It's going to be a success, possibly a massive one.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
Guys if anybody has a spare beta code i would really appreciate receiving it. I did submit a request for it on their website but i haven't received anything yet and I've been waiting to play this like forever!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Its surprising that we're seeing such polished stuff already. Presumably some of the better stuff is from people who are professional game devs, it wouldn't surprise me, but it might not be. To think that a month ago they had never laid hands on this and the stuff being made already... it's crazy.

I've played a few genuinely playable fairly polished games, as brief as they may have been. One called Porto that was shown off in the last stream was especially great. Simple little puzzle game with a great style and music. Proper indie game content that, once fleshed out with levels, could definitely demand money, and it's all here, open content that can be played instantly with basically no loading time beyond a couple of seconds. Dreams absolutely will be huge. The range of visual styles and gameplay styles, and everything else that can be done with the software from music to movies, abstract art pieces etc... it is incredible. Imagine a year from now, or two..

I'm super curious to see what Sony and MM do with this. While the game will probably market itself through word of mouth online with streamers, it's gonna be interesting to see how they officially market it.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I wonder if it would be good idea to make an OT for people who want to team up together for projects in Dreams. We could even schedule internal Game Jams. It would be interesting to see what people can do here. ;)
Its surprising that we're seeing such polished stuff already. Presumably some of the better stuff is from people who are professional game devs, it wouldn't surprise me, but it might not be. To think that a month ago they had never laid hands on this and the stuff being made already... it's crazy.

I've played a few genuinely playable fairly polished games, as brief as they may have been. One called Porto that was shown off in the last stream was especially great. Simple little puzzle game with a great style and music. Proper indie game content that, once fleshed out with levels, could definitely demand money, and it's all here, open content that can be played instantly with basically no loading time beyond a couple of seconds. Dreams absolutely will be huge. The range of visual styles and gameplay styles, and everything else that can be done with the software from music to movies, abstract art pieces etc... it is incredible. Imagine a year from now, or two..

I'm super curious to see what Sony and MM do with this. While the game will probably market itself through word of mouth online with streamers, it's gonna be interesting to see how they officially market it.
If LittleBigPlanet is anything to go by, you would be surprised sometimes. Some of them even got jobs at Media Molecule as level designers.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

If LittleBigPlanet is anything to go by, you would be surprised sometimes. Some of them even got jobs at Media Molecule as level designers.
Not right now but certainly when the tool-set releases.
Yeah, I should have specified "when the game releases".

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
it'll go up once they say we can talk about it. which im sure it'll be before game release.
I am not sure what you mean, because I was asking (in my original post) if it would be a good idea to make an OT thread for people who wanted to team up together for projects in Dreams, to which someone replied with : "Not right now but certainly when the tool-set releases. "

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Man this game has so much damn potential. I lack the time/inclination to build many myself but there's gonna be like thousands of hours of insanely good content out there.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure what you mean, because I was asking (in my original post) if it would be a good idea to make an OT thread for people who wanted to team up together for projects in Dreams, to which someone replied with : "Not right now but certainly when the tool-set releases. "
lol. idk how i missed that. xD

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went on this morning and there's some real impressive stuff.

"The Encounter" (not the super strange "encounter") is a real detailed space first-person game. Better example than PT, hope they show it on stream next week.

"Panis Pot" is a great animation, dude must work in media.

Also there's already a mine sweeper, connect 4, and a fully working fruit machine "fruity" with hold and nudge features.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, my first night with Dreams was rough. I couldnt wrap my head around even the basic movement controls. I was so frustrated and and disappointed because I thought I hated this thing that I had waited so long for.

A few nights later and I'm absolutely in love with it. No hyperbole, I would pay hundreds of dollars just for what's here in the beta.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Man, my first night with Dreams was rough. I couldnt wrap my head around even the basic movement controls. I was so frustrated and and disappointed because I thought I hated this thing that I had waited so long for.

A few nights later and I'm absolutely in love with it. No hyperbole, I would pay hundreds of dollars just for what's here in the beta.

Same, I was so hyped after all these years of waiting only to find that at first I wasn't even properly able to rotate around an object. There definietly is a learning curve, but it is a very satisfaying one to master.

Unrelated, I'm somehwat annoyed at the thread about the "PT leak", like, really, five years of them showing what this game will be capable off and THAT is what gets everyone on board?

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
And has sent me more self promotion spam than anyone else in the Dreamiverse, if it's the same person.
I don't know if it's the same person as on Twitter, but I've had a fair amount of shared spam from 'lewisc729', who made the P.T. Dream. Although indreams.me only says if you've been shared something and not the exact item which has been shared.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think I spent almost 10 hours to create one psychedelic/tribal music (not sure if I can call it music lol), and it's far, far away from being anything near complete. I think I have to wait for release of the game to finish it.

Please don't make it too long Mm. April/May is just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.