• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Might be wrong thread

I'm thinking no since I saw that person post in another thread recently that they expected Mm to be "shut down this year".

DriveClub was a fantastic game and it's a shame that Shu decided to shut down Evolution. I can't see Shu doing that to Mm even if they miss the beta again; there's too much money invested at this point.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking no since I saw that person post in another thread recently that they expected Mm to be "shut down this year".

DriveClub was a fantastic game and it's a shame that Shu decided to shut down Evolution. I can't see Shu doing that to Mm even if they miss the beta again; there's too much money invested at this point.

Yep was about to say the same. IIRC they even got banned for the same thing in a previous Dreams thread.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can't say for 2018 but 2017 pretty sure MM still was a net profit last time I checked. I ignored that post because it was patently ridiculous.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Do you all already have plans for what you want to do when the beta drops?

I think I'm gonna dive into prop modeling and music creation, ideally making things I or other can use, while I'm getting my bearings and going through the tutorials.
Definitely starting with character creation. That includes design, modeling, animation and mechanics.

I'm most nervous about adding the logic for the mechanics because I hit so many brick walls trying the same thing in LBP. Fortunately they've made the process muuuuch more intuitive in Dreams, but I still anticipate a lot of unforeseen road blocks along the way.

How I feel right now:

beta2018nmdus.png
I felt the exact same way in 2016! And 2017!

I do genuinely think they'll finally launch the beta Later This Year™, but the way Sony and Mm have handled the entire pre-release for the game is the very definition of anti-hype.

I've been looking forward to this project in spite of their promotional efforts, not because of them.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty sure some very skilled users will do amazing models and results. Just release the beta for sanity's sake. Just don' make one day and lasting few minutes in salvos. We need at least week. It's a creatin game after all and such stuff need time.

Last edited:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
first post tomorrow from MM on twitter will be fanart. welcoming us back to the first day of the week. no mention of beta until they replied to one of the tweets

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck do you squander a GameInformer cover feature and not even announce a date for the beta?
I still to this day consider that pointless waste of money for either Sony or game informer whoever paid for that. Not much new info was out. Coy answers and when asked about the one thing that'll get ppl on board not a ounce of solid info was given he fumbled about a date let alone a timeframe, fumbled about it being open closed sign ups he didn't freaking know. I was just in awe

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
how the fuck do you squander a GameInformer cover feature and not even announce a date for the beta?
Yeah, I was sure they would release the beta at the end of the month-long feature. With that momentum build, it was the perfect moment to do so. I guess they were not ready or SONY QA did not green light it.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The marketing of this game has been terrible. If this game bombs Sony and MM have only themselves to blame. Easily the worst marketing for a Sony AAA game in years.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to chill. It has been announced way too early but was there at 2 E3 conferences. The beta is not even out yet and there is no release date. Why would they already do big marketing campaigns for a game that has no release date? Thats not how it works. Once they settle on a final release date, marketing will start untill about a month after release. There probably will be packs of PS4+Dreams in the stores

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The marketing of this game has been terrible. If this game bombs Sony and MM have only themselves to blame. Easily the worst marketing for a Sony AAA game in years.
In the same way the marketing for TLOU 2 is terrible, meaning the marketing for this game has not started. They have like many of their other games featured this game at many games and some none games related trade shows. There are ubiquitous videos on youtube, many articles on websites that praise the game to high heaven. But still the actual marketing campaign for Dreams has not started, like many Sony games accused of having terrible marketing (GOW, TLOU etc), it starts closer to the release date.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium

I don't tend to care about Sony first party marketing for games but this entire Dreams info roll out/beta stringing along has been an absolute disaster and just so weird.
Communication through their streams have been good for the hardcore loyalists but for everyone else, I think they've blundered big time.

The marketing campaign itself starts with the beta imo.
I hope MM have their ducks in a row when that begins in 2019 (it wont be this year)

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
In the same way the marketing for TLOU 2 is terrible, meaning the marketing for this game has not started. They have like many of their other games featured this game at many games and some none games related trade shows. There are ubiquitous videos on youtube, many articles on websites that praise the game to high heaven. But still the actual marketing campaign for Dreams has not started, like many Sony games accused of having terrible marketing (GOW, TLOU etc), it starts closer to the release date.

TLOU got front and centre attention in E3, PSX, PGW etc.. Imagine if Naughty Dog release gameplay snippets on twitch in their own channel instead of through the main Playstation channel.

How hard would it be to create videos titled animation, designing levels etc.. And have narrator walk ppl through a scenario and then end the gameplay trailer with a montages of the possibilities and put it out in the main playstation channel?

What about this Beta communication is in any way professional? Like there are so many things wrong with the marketing of this game. It's not too late to salvage it but Sony just does not seem to get this game..

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd be very surprised if the beta is released this side of the New Year.

I can't help but feel the timing of this game is going to KO its longevity due to the PS5 being on the inevitable horizon. Say, as we expect, the PlayStation 5 launches Autumn 2020 - that gives Dreams approx 12 months if it ships September/October 2019. During which Sony's focus will move to promoting their new console.

Maybe I am being unfair and a tad pessimistic.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
since christmas is in 2 weeks. that just means they'll have a stream sometimes next week. but it doesn't mean they'll announce a beta.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
TLOU got front and centre attention in E3, PSX, PGW etc.. Imagine if Naughty Dog release gameplay snippets on twitch in their own channel instead of through the main Playstation channel.

How hard would it be to create videos titled animation, designing levels etc.. And have narrator walk ppl through a scenario and then end the gameplay trailer with a montages of the possibilities and put it out in the main playstation channel?

What about this Beta communication is in any way professional? Like there are so many things wrong with the marketing of this game. It's not too late to salvage it but Sony just does not seem to get this game..
Dreams has got big booths at pretty much every event that has happened all year in different countries from PAX, to Paris games week to freaking Brazil game show, TGS etc etc, they had a booth at E3 as well. Consumers have had their hands on Dreams, that cannot be said for TLOU II. There are more official footage of Dreams out there than there is of any Sony game released this year. Dreams has had 3 major games magazine centerfold, that cannot be said for TLOU II.

Its not hard for them to create videos titled animation, designing levels, creating music. In fact they have, its on youtube, its even posted in this very thread. What you want is an official marketing campaign and again, that has not started yet. It starts closer to release. You will get news for the beta when it is ready and so far its not ready yet.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I think the marketing campaign begins when the game is announced. The marketing strategy since the 2015 announcement of a 2016 beta has not been well crafted. We are now in mid-December without a date but continually see Media Molecule say 2018. The hardcore Media Molecule fans will be there day one regardless of how many times the beta is delayed. However, when you add Game Informer covers and media coverage blowouts, you are attempting to bring in a different crowd. When the time increases between these events and when you can put the game/beta in that potential customer's hands, you are losing people. Additionally, when you have a beta delayed for years, it brings in the doomsday sayers.

Ultimately, I believe the best marketing for this game will come from the community. I think people need to see a somewhat beefy experience made in Dreams that is not a mini-game or a minute-long platformer. That is why a beta is important. If Dreams ships with the campaign and little to no offerings from the community, I don't think people are lining up on day one. If Dreams has a successful beta, where some community members make strong experiences, then Dreams can have a more successful launch.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
My soul is slowly being crushed by the deafening silence.
It's surreal that I've waited for Dreams beta for 4 years now. "Any day now!" - me in December 2015.
Dreams missing VGA 2018 makes no sense. It can't possibly be a 2018 beta now, can it, at least not an open one? Why miss the chance of having SOME publicity for the beta?

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
My soul is slowly being crushed by the deafening silence.
It's surreal that I've waited for Dreams beta for 4 years now. "Any day now!" - me in December 2015.
Dreams missing VGA 2018 makes no sense. It can't possibly be a 2018 beta now, can it, at least not an open one? Why miss the chance of having SOME publicity for the beta?
I'm there with you but unfortunately if they announce the beta for the last week of this month i may not be able to play unless i take my PS4 with me on my Christmas vacation. I've been waiting for the beta for a longass time and i ultimately might end up not being able to play it. SMH.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
This thread should be renamed 'Everything you need to know but not the one thing you want to know about Dreams'

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
predict. they will tweet to say they have something special to announce this week. but its just a special christmas stream with cake and cookies and them decorating a christmas tree made in dreams.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
I think the marketing campaign begins when the game is announced. The marketing strategy since the 2015 announcement of a 2016 beta has not been well crafted. We are now in mid-December without a date but continually see Media Molecule say 2018. The hardcore Media Molecule fans will be there day one regardless of how many times the beta is delayed. However, when you add Game Informer covers and media coverage blowouts, you are attempting to bring in a different crowd. When the time increases between these events and when you can put the game/beta in that potential customer's hands, you are losing people. Additionally, when you have a beta delayed for years, it brings in the doomsday sayers.

Ultimately, I believe the best marketing for this game will come from the community. I think people need to see a somewhat beefy experience made in Dreams that is not a mini-game or a minute-long platformer. That is why a beta is important. If Dreams ships with the campaign and little to no offerings from the community, I don't think people are lining up on day one. If Dreams has a successful beta, where some community members make strong experiences, then Dreams can have a more successful launch.
Agreed with this assessment.

I think an example of absolutely nailing a long term marketing push was actually for the very first LBP. Sony and Mm came out the gate swinging with a very confident and memorable GDC stage demo that got everybody talking. And from there, the spotlight it was given from various tradeshow appearances and cool little trailers was able to consistently keep the anticipation growing all the way up until release.

Same sort of hype trajectory for the first TLOU, and even Part II.

But most of the promotion with Dreams is barely moving the needle on general interest. It's weird and unfocused. The valuable info contained in the dozens and dozens of streams on their channel is scattered and overwhelming, and largely ignored by non-enthusiasts. And a lot of the impressions I see from regular consumers is how weird and lacking the Dreams show demos have been, with odd choices like "Please Hug Me" being prominent showcases. It's usually the press that get the more in-depth demos and come away thoroughly impressed. Then it quickly falls off everybody else's radar again.

Of course, all it takes is one aspect of Dreams to go viral and inspire the masses, but sadly we ain't there yet. I'm betting against all odds that we'll get there eventually. The beta is the perfect start though.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The hardcore Media Molecule fans will be there day one regardless of how many times the beta is delayed. However, when you add Game Informer covers and media coverage blowouts, you are attempting to bring in a different crowd. When the time increases between these events and when you can put the game/beta in that potential customer's hands, you are losing people. Additionally, when you have a beta delayed for years, it brings in the doomsday sayers.

I think you are overestimating the impact delaying the beta will have. The "different crowd" may lose interest, but they were probably never interested in creating levels in the first place. It's not like they are so petty that once the game comes out and people are making cool shit, they are going to ignore the game out of spite. If the community makes awesome stuff that's worthy of being talked about, people will talk about it and that's all the marketing they will need. If it fails commercially, it won't be due to a delayed beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.