• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So show off the other tools and sculpting we've seen him sculpt he'll weve seen him sculpt more impressive stuff than that. After 3 years ppl don't have that same attitude anymore. There are plenty of other ways to show of this game and again 3 years in this just isn't a good way to some ppl anymore and that's completely fair

I get it, I really do -- but I think sometimes you can just follow a game too closely. I've been reading your posts for a while and it's almost like they've soured you on a game that you were once excited for. But I think... Like, that's inevitable if you soak up every single piece of media they put out.

Maybe the streams were a bad idea to begin with and they should just go dark until it's ready to come out.

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, I really do -- but I think sometimes you can just follow a game too closely. I've been reading your posts for a while and it's almost like they've soured you on a game that you were once excited for. But I think... Like, that's inevitable if you soak up every single piece of media they put out.

Maybe the streams were a bad idea to begin with and they should just go dark until it's ready to come out
I don't disagree with any of this you right about that. Been staning tooooo long lol ima just not watch no more and hopefully it's out soon

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
They have lost their momentum now. It feels like they have started communicating on the game again and then all of a sudden they found others nuts to crack and will have to postpone again.

We saw that 2 years ago already.

There is no reason to over communicate on a product if it is not out in the next 3 to 4 monts.

It's not like the game will be cancelled or anything... but im just wondering why all of a sudden they had to stop sharing release information... because that's what's happening now, media blowout happened 3 or 3 months back with all previews and stuff... and now we wait.

Probably a post mortem will tell us more.

Oct 25, 2017
They have lost their momentum now. It feels like they have started communicating on the game again and then all of a sudden they found others nuts to crack and will have to postpone again.

We saw that 2 years ago already.

There is no reason to over communicated on a product if it is not out in the next 3 to 4 monts.

It's not like the game will be cancelled or anything... but im just wondering why all of a sudden they had to stop sharing release information... because that's what's happening now.

Probably a post mortem will tell us more.
Ppl were asking tons of questions in chat beyond just a release date some very basic stuff and it's still "more information closer to launch" launch is supposedly this year according to y'all so how about more communication

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Ppl were asking tons of questions in chat beyond just a release date some very basic stuff and it's still "more information closer to launch" launch is supposedly this year according to y'all so how about more communication

Releasing the game this year made most sense on business perspective, under the condition nothing wrong happened.

They had a bunch of very positive previews, media blowout, everything pointed to a release this year.

So either something happened, or they have to fire their communication manager

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair they answered most questions,including most of the basic ones. You make it sound like they were holding back.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
If this game doesn't release this year it's another strike on the management/communication of this project.

MM makes lovely games but their communication and dev cycle is the stuff of nightmares. If it takes 7 years to make then so be it, they're just shooting themselves in the foot with this never ending and erratic communication strategy. Wonder how Sony feels about this inside the company.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's interesting just how disconnected some folks are from the reality of game development. Something that is this ambitious is going to have a LOT of blockades that come up during development which other games will never even have to worry about, let alone the massive legal mazes they have to navigate on the backend & web portion of this all.

Did they potentially communicate too much early on? Sure. Is it the end of the world? Of course not.

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Yesterday's stream could have been from 2016 ;)
Watched only the beginning and the end because imo it was boring...

But the PAX stream should be more interesting.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Release on PS4, allow an option for levels created on ps5 that only run on ps5 so any thermometer restrictions on PS4 will hopefully be not an issue on ps5

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Release on PS4, allow an option for levels created on ps5 that only run on ps5 so any thermometer restrictions on PS4 will hopefully be not an issue on ps5

They won't do that because the PS5 will have full BC. There won't be content only available to the PS5. If they do that then they'll lose many people from the community.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
It's interesting just how disconnected some folks are from the reality of game development. Something that is this ambitious is going to have a LOT of blockades that come up during development which other games will never even have to worry about, let alone the massive legal mazes they have to navigate on the backend & web portion of this all.

Did they potentially communicate too much early on? Sure. Is it the end of the world? Of course not.
I think a lot of people are overlooking these realities; Dreams is an especially complex piece of software, so it needs time and a massive amount of work and preparation to do it justice (MM is still a relatively small studio of over 50 people). I would like to contribute in this thread more, but I've been put off by how hostile it's become.

Dreams is still by far my most anticipated game, perhaps of all time. The folks at Media Molecule want to get the game released more that anyone and I'm confident it will be more than worth the wait.

I personally love that they're still doing these streams. I don't know of any other developers who are so open about their game before release. It was also reiterated yesterday that the beta is planned for this year.

Last edited:

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I think a lot of people are overlooking these realities; Dreams is an especially complex piece of software, so it needs time and a massive amount of work and preparation to do it justice (MM is still a relatively small studio of over 50 people). I would like to contribute in this thread more, but I've been put of by how hostile it's become.

Dreams is still by far my most anticipated game, perhaps of all time. The folks at Media Molecule want to get the game released more that anyone and I'm confident it will be more than worth the wait.

I personally love that they're still doing these streams. I don't know of any other developers who are so open about their game before release. It was also reiterated yesterday that the beta is planned for this year.

I don't think anyone who is disappointed is overlooking anything. People completely understand the complexity of this product. What people are fed up with is the lack of imagination when it comes to showcasing the game. There are so many things they could be showing but they just keep on showing the same thing 99% of the time. They should be able to put out a vid every week and still have new things to show until launch, even IF it doesn't release this year. If Dreams is as broad as they're suggesting, and I have no reason to doubt that, then show us that breadth.

We've had ONE video that demonstrated the animation tools and DOZENS of videos showing us 'sculpting'. We've had many videos showing how to put a level together and yet every single one of them were exactly the same: Two pieces of land, a wooden bridge, animated platform and lava. It's boring, repetitive and unimaginative.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
At this point I don't even think Dreams will release on PS4. Why bother.

My ideal scenario would be if they release and sell it on the PS4 as soon as possible....

...and then pre-install an updated version on every single PS5.

It would be great to have Dreams included as an intrinsic part of every new console sold. The more people you can open this up to, the better.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone who is disappointed is overlooking anything. People completely understand the complexity of this product. What people are fed up with is the lack of imagination when it comes to showcasing the game. There are so many things they could be showing but they just keep on showing the same thing 99% of the time. They should be able to put out a vid every week and still have new things to show until launch, even IF it doesn't release this year. If Dreams is as broad as they're suggesting, and I have no reason to doubt that, then show us that breadth.

We've had ONE video that demonstrated the animation tools and DOZENS of videos showing us 'sculpting'. We've had many videos showing how to put a level together and yet every single one of them were exactly the same: Two pieces of land, a wooden bridge, animated platform and lava. It's boring, repetitive and unimaginative.
This is why I don't say nothing in here anymore you can't be disappointed without somehow not understanding game dev and so on. Now I get what u was talking about before

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is why I don't say nothing in here anymore you can't be disappointed without somehow not understanding game dev and so on. Now I get what u was talking about before
Obviously you can be disappointed and express that but some folks acting like it's such a huge deal that their life is in turmoil. The kicker is when someone complains it's not done and should be out already - that's what my comment was referring to.

Someone in the Livestream even said they had put time and money aside to work on a game but no longer have that time and money. Feels like people are placing way too much investment on something we done have concrete details for yet, release-wise.

Yes, that sculpting stream felt like a redux from 2016, but that's kind of where they are at in terms of re-revealing the game to the public. I of course hope we get to see more levels / tools / etc. that we've yet to see.

Seriously, I want to see all of that and get a beta asap. However, I'm not going to cry about no solid release date :P

EDIT - I want to reiterate, since apparently it's okay for folks to complain about the game not being shown off but take issue with me wondering about people who are really upset it's not out yet and how little they may grasp about game development. I'm NOT talking about you if you want to see better showcase of the game.

Last edited:

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another thing: you're upset that they don't show off other aspects of the game while simultaneously being antsy about getting the game sooner than later. You think the people best suited to show off logic aren't a bit preoccupied at the moment?

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my point you gotta be "crying" about it because you want a date or more info that's lame and I hate that about any community.

You can't say nothing in here about their marketing without getting jumped on, I know exactly what loudmouse was talking about.

Y'all satisfied with what's continually being shown great awesome but don't come for ppl voicing concerns. Either ignore it or have a discussion

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Exactly my point you gotta be crying about it because you want a date or more info that's lame and I hate that about any community

It's infuriating isn't it. It's as if the world has been forever divided into black and white and those of us who sit in neither camp have to suffer the consequence of this polarisation. It reminds me of many things ...

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
We can have a discussion. Would you have been happier if the "pointless" streams just didn't happen? Nothing in its place. Honest question.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's infuriating isn't it. It's as if the world has been forever divided into black and white and those of us who sit in neither camp have to suffer the consequence of this polarisation. It reminds me of many things ...
The only people acting black & white about it are those jumping to conclusions and going for the victim card rather than responding to what I actually said.

Never claimed you or Blackleg-sanji1 were crying. It was a about how upset some people have gotten about this (let alone other games) on social media, the livestream, etc.

You have every right to be upset about the lack of communication and the content being similar to what we saw 2 years ago.

However, neither of you have been hostile / threatened / share sob stories about how awful things must be because the beta isn't here yet.

If I'm mistaken, then sure - I'd think you're being unreasonable. Let's converse about the game rather than get continually be upset?

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
The only people acting black & white about it are those jumping to conclusions and going for the victim card rather than responding to what I actually said.

Never claimed you or Blackleg-sanji1 were crying. It was a about how upset some people have gotten about this (let alone other games) on social media, the livestream, etc.

You have every right to be upset about the lack of communication and the content being similar to what we saw 2 years ago.

However, neither of you have been hostile / threatened / share sob stories about how awful things must be because the beta isn't here yet.

If I'm mistaken, then sure - I'd think you're being unreasonable. Let's converse about the game rather than get continually be upset?

What do you suggest we talk about? When I was an active member of the LBP community, we'd have long conversations about what is possible with the new tools and mechanics. We'd discuss what we'd seen and how it could be implemented in our own projects. The community was thriving because the information was flowing.

We now need in depth looks at the bells and whistles, breakdowns of specific mechanics like the hinges, pistons and movers. We need to see how emitters work, what settings they have and how they can possibly be used to our advantage. We need to see how the AND/OR/XOR (and many others) work now, how they've changed for the good and how easy it is to use them. We need to see a character created from scratch. Not a sculpture like this that made the game look stupid when he finally tried to play with it but a proper top down look at character creation. Show us a level and go deep into what needed to be done to make it function properly. The list goes on and on.

Dreams is about creativity and people want to see the potential so they can start discussing what they themselves are going to create, not just 'in passing' but in detail, with a working knowledge of the mechanics behind the game. At this point, it very much feels like we're being patronised. It's as if they view their audience as children, not quite ready to play in the big league. Fuck those people who would be intimidated by the depth and complexity. They've been catered yo for long enough now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Well Sanji said he would be fine just seeing a couple random levels and such. What kinds of things do you think they should change about how they show the game without triggering all the news sites to complain about how complicated it seems when they show the real depths of it all?

Also, how much of an impact do you think having in-depth presentations about those tools in livestreams on the folks working on those tools right now? What if the tools are not yet finalized / in-transition?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I agree there should be variation in the discussion - if you keep showing the same thing you may lose those people that have been following for a while

However, some of the deep dives being asked for may be difficult to show on a stream. there is no outlet for the information - lots of detail but you can't use it. It could make for a very dry stream

I hope that is something they're looking at done when the beta is available. So they can talk about more detailed elements and you can then try them out in the beta yourself and adjust/tweak etc

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
If this stops them from working yes and no. Like I said earlier in the thread, "Hope y'all enjoy" so I want ppl to enjoy it I simply can't this info don't hit me no more
That's super fair. All I wanted to say is it's fine to be disappointed with the way Mm has done things, but acting like they can just "do something different" with great confidence is the part where I get annoyed. No one here is privy to the constraints under which Mm is operating. As it's been suggested, there may be complications we're unaware of which they are furiously trying to solve behind the scenes. If they aren't giving us dates, it may be that the state the game is in has far too many unknown factors for them to give us something reliable. We all understand that setting a date they're unsure of reaching could cause more harm than the radio silence if they end up missing the mark, as they've done so many times already. Same thing with the feature list and tools, no one is going to be happy if they have to roll back the scope after showing us things that don't end up in the final product.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all of you. It never really bothered me that much until this stream. I came in like the last 15 minutes and just saw Kareem regularly sculpting that's it and I was just stunned so far into announcement it threw me off especially when he's sculpted things on a much grander scale

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all of you. It never really bothered me that much until this stream. I came in like the last 15 minutes and just saw Kareem regularly sculpting that's it and I was just stunned so far into announcement it threw me off especially when he's sculpted things on a much grander scale
I can feel you. For what's it's worth, I feel like this last stream had value insofar as it was one dude working on a piece of art which to me is as indicative of what to look forward post-release as the rest. I don't mean to say this in a way implies this is the extent of what we should expect. I fully understand the thirst to see a game-ass game in Dreams, on an enthusiast forum like this especially. There's so much in this package, some people are going to be drawn to maybe a specific portion of it. But I think Mm see all parts of their game as having equal value. That someone working on their own little, self-contained piece has as much value as the industrious, ambitious game designer trying to push Dreams past its breaking point. My take on this is they're predicting that the ratio of UGC will lean towards the small stuff like individual assets or small projects more than fully-featured, meaty interactive experiences. To them, these streams aren't a straightforward means of presenting news updates but rather to be like a microcosm of the culture they hope will crop up from the community. And from my perspective, it's a little sad if people (not aimed at you, bleg) devalue that kind content. I wouldn't want it to feel like the 1.5 or 2 hours someone spent making a werewolf character is somehow lesser than the guy who spent that much time making a playable level.

For right now, where the wait time has gotten far past the norm; yeah ok the backlash is reasonable. Just, Mm aren't oblivious or being malicious.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind for them to do a stream based entirely on showing off one or two of their tutorials just to show how people are going to get used to the UI and deep tools included in the game. I could probably manage to make a few things pretty quickly because I've watched hours and hours of stream footage. I just want to make sure they have something more than this:

d6d.jpg

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I can't wait to 'play' Dreams, but what kind of bothers me about the last stream is that they keep showing stuff that those MM artists are already doing for years now with the software and they won't really go out of their comfort zone. Kareem is the sculpter and he always sculpts models, but after finishing it he would say: "and then we could give this to Eric and he could do awesome animations". Why don't you animate it yourself? Isn't it the whole idea we could create our own games with that software?

These guys and girls have been working with Dreams for years now and they still often seem to struggle with the interface and controls. I'm afraid it takes a whole lot more time and skill to make something decent than I thought beforehand..

For instance: that Comic Sands demo was made by the dev team and it took 3 people 40+ hours to make. And the game lasts about a minute playtime.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
These guys and girls have been working with Dreams for years now and they still often seem to struggle with the interface and controls. I'm afraid it takes a whole lot more time and skill to make something decent than I thought beforehand..

For instance: that Comic Sands demo was made by the dev team and it took 3 people 40+ hours to make. And the game lasts about a minute playtime.
Yeah, I think some people are going to be taken back by how hard some of this stuff actually is. Like, with the sculpting stuff, these are professional artists who have been drawing, painting and modelling for years and years.

A non artist isn't going to be able to build something from scratch like they can in an hour so. That's years and years of practice lol .

It's not like LBP where everything's is kind of already there for you to create. Obviously the community created amazing stuff with The tools but they were using existing assets.

My guess is that MM realizes this and are trying to create tons and tons of usable assets, animations, logics etc that way instead of building from scratch, the community can get started by mixing, matching and editing existing models . Tow of levels, game type presets etc etc .

At the same time trying to make it as user friedly as possible which sounds like a constant headache considering how many different versions of the UI we've seen so far.

I'm also fully expecting the PS5 version of dreams to be a much more realized version of the game. Especially with the thermometer and how compex you can get.

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to 'play' Dreams, but what kind of bothers me about the last stream is that they keep showing stuff that those MM artists are already doing for years now with the software and they won't really go out of their comfort zone. Kareem is the sculpter and he always sculpts models, but after finishing it he would say: "and then we could give this to Eric and he could do awesome animations". Why don't you animate it yourself? Isn't it the whole idea we could create our own games with that software?

They really want to push collaboration, so by emphasizing how easy it is to pass the object over to someone else to do a different type of work on, it shows this.
Obviously there's nothing stopping Kareem animating, you know that. But it's gonna be hard for people to be good at all areas of game development.

The interface is constantly changing for them, when we have it, it'll be the final version, theres has been changing for years, with stuff being added and removed, re-arranged etc.
It's definitely going to take a lot of time to create big things, but it'll still be a lot lot quicker than creating something of similar scale on other engines. And as the community progresses and you get a larger and larger pool of assets to pull from, it'll only get quicker.

I can't find a source, but I'm nearly certain I read that Comic Sands was created by Abbie and her sister(who had no experience) during train jam. I think it was on the Discord Tom said it.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
They really want to push collaboration, so by emphasizing how easy it is to pass the object over to someone else to do a different type of work on, it shows this.
Obviously there's nothing stopping Kareem animating, you know that. But it's gonna be hard for people to be good at all areas of game development.

The interface is constantly changing for them, when we have it, it'll be the final version, theres has been changing for years, with stuff being added and removed, re-arranged etc.
It's definitely going to take a lot of time to create big things, but it'll still be a lot lot quicker than creating something of similar scale on other engines. And as the community progresses and you get a larger and larger pool of assets to pull from, it'll only get quicker.

I can't find a source, but I'm nearly certain I read that Comic Sands was created by Abbie and her sister(who had no experience) during train jam. I think it was on the Discord Tom said it.
4 devs and 52 hours to creat comic sands

I mean, comic sands was cool but damn.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Yea and the fact I can probably play for a maximum of 1 hour per day, it would take me more then half a year (if I was as skilled as the dev team) to make that little game.

It is cool that it is possible at all, but those numbers are also kind of depressing..

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I thougt that was only a small part of the Train Jam level.

But I am sure it will not take so long for less than 2 minutes 2D gameplay with a bit 3D at the end.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Things are going to take a long time to make, even with such simplified tools. Now, that time will be drastically reduced once templates and assets start getting put out by the community, but it's going to take many, many hours to actually create quality stuff.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Things are going to take a long time to make, even with such simplified tools. Now, that time will be drastically reduced once templates and assets start getting put out by the community, but it's going to take many, many hours to actually create quality stuff.

It would be greatly helped if they make a working character of Sackboy and Iota available at launch. And as I've mentioned before, give us a 2-D setting for the camera that simulates creating in LBP.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Sorry i'd like to come back on this.
Obviously you can be disappointed and express that but some folks acting like it's such a huge deal that their life is in turmoil.

Well yeah Dreams is ground breaking in many ways, and many people who don't have the money or time or ease of work in some fields are waiting for tjis to come out, not just as a game, but as a potential free pass to game development. It's the fucking eldorado of gmae creators wannabe.
They could get money, they could get noticed, they could do a portfolio and get references. Working in a simpler streamlined way to achieve a life dream.

So yeah, any bad news or non-event (considered bad news) is a serious threat to that. I 100% relate to this view and understand the outrage somehow.

Now i clearly think mediamolecule encountered unexpected problems. They would not have started their communication so early had they known they would not be able to release the game.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
I thougt that was only a small part of the Train Jam level.

But I am sure it will not take so long for less than 2 minutes 2D gameplay with a bit 3D at the end.

But like always, tools will not make you a better contributor. Only intelligent work and smart planning will. These tools and templates will always be located on a gradient that goes from full creative « control/amount of time to spend » VS « easy peasy/low control on creation. »

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Good thing I've been really cutting down on my game ideas for sake of length. Currently I want a short rpg. Like 1 main dungeon with a couple story areas. But even that seems daunting with my limited time lol

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Sorry i'd like to come back on this.

Well yeah Dreams is ground breaking in many ways, and many people who don't have the money or time or ease of work in some fields are waiting for tjis to come out, not just as a game, but as a potential free pass to game development. It's the fucking eldorado of gmae creators wannabe.
They could get money, they could get noticed, they could do a portfolio and get references. Working in a simpler streamlined way to achieve a life dream.

So yeah, any bad news or non-event (considered bad news) is a serious threat to that. I 100% relate to this view and understand the outrage somehow.

Now i clearly think mediamolecule encountered unexpected problems. They would not have started their communication so early had they known they would not be able to release the game.
See, I think this is a bit unreasonable.

If they have any actual passion in being a game developer, or being creative with the tools that are coming with Dreams, there are a million other ways they can find software on mobile devices, PCs, or even using physical media to express themselves for "free". Then, whenever the game finally comes out, they'll be even more ready to get down and dirty with it.

Believe you me that I want to use this to create art to 3D print, to make VR experiences, even to create assets for use with paid work. However, instead of being outraged you're much MUCH better off using that energy in any number of other ways to be creative.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
See, I think this is a bit unreasonable.

It is, but not for the reasons you are mentionning. As good and versatile Dreams will be it will facilitate the digital entertainment creation process only to a certain extend. If you are not ready to spend and lose time on a commercial standalone tool, im not certain Dreams would save you anyways.

Creating a game is a long process and even if you got more people, coordination can only be shrunk to an incompressible amount of time .(it would just be like thinking 9 women could give birth to a child in 1 month).

So in any case whatever creation process or idea they had in mind, 2 or 3 months different will not change anything or nothing substantial. And im talking with a production that is actually worth paying for and not the shitty trials you'll do to get there.

People do realise the work MM is doing but they do not realise the work they will have to do on their side, because 2 months late on schedule is nothing, let's be honest.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Creating a game is a long process and even if you got more people, coordination can only be shrunk to an incompressible amount of time .(it would just be like thinking 9 women could give birth to a child in 1 month).

"There is no compression algorithm for experience"

I'm really keen for Dreams to be released, but for me it will come when it comes and I'll explore the possibilities at that point. I can see that those who are very invested in the game already and have used LBP extensively will be frustrated with delays and the information coming out in streams, but it is what it is. If they aren't comfortable with sharing more at this stage that's all we get. There can be a whole host of reasons why this is the case.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
As someone invested in Dreams from PSX Day 1 and who has watched literally every second of Dreams media: That wolf stream was awesome. Unlike this thread, which mostly sucks. What most people should learn from Kareem on his streams is how to be cool and chill the **** out while still being passionate about something.

To the folks giving MM shit about their messaging I defy you to produce one single example of media coverage from the latest round that wasn't glowingly positive. You only find complainers in the "community" in gutter-threads. Their messaging has been on point, and they are right in the sweet spot / pocket for the pre-launch build up (whenever they choose) having laid the groundwork with the major outlets. Twich and YouTube will do the viral heavy lifting when the time (beta) comes.

In the words of celebrated American philosopher and quarterback Aaron Rogers: R...E...L...A...X.

Status
Not open for further replies.