• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nostalgia is a powerful hallucinogen.

Every once in a while when I get nostalgic for things how they were in my childhood, I detach myself and look at them as an adult, and remind myself that I liked them because I was a kid.

The only real thing that was better back then was the freedom to be a kid. Well, a suburban kid anyway. In the '80s we roamed wide and free all over our towns without supervision.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you tv shows, only worthy ones I can think of are The Wire and Sopranos.

But movies? Lots of great ones came at the time, best decade for the crime thrillers.

Reservoir Dogs, LA Confidential, Goodfellas, Heat, Pulp Fiction, Silence of Lambs, Seven, Fargo.

Sixth Sense, Schindler's List, Good Will Hunting, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan too.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
The only great thing about the 90's for me is how innocent my perception of the world was and the precious imagination I had.

Watching 90's saturday morning cartoons, playibg Dos games & owning a genisis & snes.

Looking back though, there was a lot of terrible shit about the 90's too.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you tv shows, only worthy ones I can think of are The Wire and Sopranos.

But movies? Lots of great ones came at the time, best decade for the crime thrillers.

Reservoir Dogs, LA Confidential, Goodfellas, Heat, Pulp Fiction, Silence of Lambs, Seven, Fargo.

Sixth Sense, Schindler's List, Good Will Hunting, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan too.

The Simpsons? Fresh Prince? An amazing trove of Nickeledeon and Anime productions world wide. 90's had good TV. Oz as well.

Star Trek TNG. X-Files? Babylon 5? Stargate

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
It only seems great until you have to relive that period. You'll be screaming to come back to now. Kids had it better no matter what time period it was, for the most part...no responsibilities, no hang-ups. Nostalgia...it's a nice parting gift.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Some things were, not everything was better.

Frankly I would argue the internet was better. No real closed garden ecosystems. No soul sucking social media.

In terms of gaming? As soon as Quake / Ultima Online was going, you already had peak online gaming. It's just scaled up graphically/modes now.

It was still good, it was just really fragmented back then.

What? The Internet was MOSTLY closed gardens in the 90's. There were whole segments of the net you could not access based on your ISP. Couldn't get into mainstream AOL stuff if you didn't have AOL. AOL was banned from many IRC channels. Quake was severely limited by net latency. Packet loss was rampant on ISPs. You'd often get disconnected in the middle of a game.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's just nostalgia.. There were a ton of social issues that didn't get talked about back then. There was no Black Lives Matter and feminism in the 90's was... muted. LGBT oppression was rampant.

Yep, pretty much. All the horrible things we talk about today still happened very much in the 90's...it wasnt as transparent as today and you weren't forced to confront it every day.

If we had 90's culture today, this new forum wouldn't even exist because there wouldnt have been any issue with the other forum lol

tamago

Oct 27, 2017
Dallas, TX
i loved the 90s. then again, i think anyone at their teens..just experiencing new things with all the time in the world. that is life.

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we're not talking about politics (which is a bit too complex for this kind of discussion) I would say things are different, but aren't really better or worse. I have some intense nostalgia for the goth scene/internet culture of the late 90s, but I wouldn't really choose to go back there, whether as teen or adult. Every time period has its ups and downs.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think music was better, for sure but that's my opinion. Tv shows seem as a whole much higher quality nowadays, but that is due in part to shows from the 90s starting a change in quality like The Sopranos and Seinfeld.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
In the 90s racism was dead
lol among so much racist shit can't believe people believed that, I mean back than a lot of people including the current president wanted 5 innocent people to be executed
the example of racism I used started in the late 80s anyway plenty of racism in the 90s

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Some things were, not everything was better.

What? The Internet was MOSTLY closed gardens in the 90's. There were whole segments of the net you could not access based on your ISP. Couldn't get into mainstream AOL stuff if you didn't have AOL. AOL was banned from many IRC channels. Quake was severely limited by net latency. Packet loss was rampant on ISPs. You'd often get disconnected in the middle of a game.

I think in Quake 2 era anyway we were beginning to transfer to ISDN so the ping came down from 200 to 90 which was easily playable.

Plus the openGL boost was impressive. Memory hazy. I don't know about closed gardens where I was from, I know there was tonnes more fragmentation. I suppose it depends what you were trying to access at the time. I can't remember if we had AOL.

Member PC Magazine demo discs?

But what we had back in the 90s is just the same as what we have now, it's just things have been positioned to be super consumer facing and easy to use with better UIs. But gaming wise it's the same thing.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
It was a good decade for me as I went to college, got married, had my first child and launched my career. Pretty productive. I'm more partial to the 70s and 80s, though, just because I was a kid.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
You are objectively wrong.

Most things, like the Internet for example, have become better. As for media, that media still exists as well as media now.

So essentially we have everything the '90s had as well as more of it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything back then will always seem better than how things are now. 20 years from now we will be saying the 2010s were the pinnacle of human culture because of super hero movies are some shit.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think in Quake 2 era anyway we were beginning to transfer to ISDN so the ping came down from 200 to 90 which was easily playable.

Plus the openGL boost was impressive. Memory hazy. I don't know about closed gardens where I was from, I know there was tonnes more fragmentation. I suppose it depends what you were trying to access at the time. I can't remember if we had AOL.

Member PC Magazine demo discs?

But what we had back in the 90s is just the same as what we have now, it's just things have been positioned to be super consumer facing and easy to use with better UIs. But gaming wise it's the same thing.

ISDN was pretty limited availability and very expressive most everywhere. I agree a 90 ping was fine, but that wasn't the norm. In fact, you had that huge disparity where 5% of players was someone on a corporate network dominating the game and the other 95% suffered with 200 or greater pings and considerable PL. Only in the last ~15 years has broadband finally leveled the playing field, and even more recently has console MP relied less on P2P hosting...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wrqxkonl8skvc.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Everything back then will always seem better than how things are now. 20 years from now we will be saying the 2010s were the pinnacle of human culture because of super hero movies are some shit.
I don't think I will ever say the decade that saw the rise Nazism in America, and a wave of renewed right-wing nationalism in several countries across the globe was the pinnacle of culture. :P

Mana Fiend

Oct 25, 2017
Things werent better for everyone thats for sure. But america was better. People were far nicer to each other and far more likely to interact eith each other.

This america will never exist again I dont think.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
ISDN was pretty limited availability and very expressive most everywhere. I agree a 90 ping was fine, but that wasn't the norm. In fact, you had that huge disparity where 5% of players was someone on a corporate network dominating the game and the other 95% suffered with 200 or greater pings and considerable PL. Only in the last ~15 years has broadband finally leveled the playing field, and even more recently has console MP relied less on P2P hosting...

I'm not so sure I wasn't in America. But where I was, was pretty rural, and ISDN was available. But I think the best internet wasn't corporate but university level. Them big t3 lines or whatever they had. Same thing I suppose.

MMO's were absolutely playable. Ultima Online still remains to be the best MMO experience I've ever played.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Consider many people still consider many dated games with poor production value via modern standards to be best ever, you're in the wrong company.

But I do agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.