• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2022/04/everyt...e-milestone-arthouse-indie-cinema-1235007713/

The movie which stars near-60-year-old Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Michelle Yeoh, genre legend Jamie Lee Curtis, rising actress Stephanie Hsu and reps the return of The Goonies and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom star Ke Huy Quan has more momentum than A24's 2015 spring cult hit Ex Machina (which ended its run at $25.4M) and likely will land as the studio's fourth-highest grossing movie at the domestic box office after Uncut Gems ($50M), Lady Bird ($49M) and Hereditary ($44M), taking over Oscar Best Picture winner Moonlight ($28M).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Mad I haven't gotten to see this yet, exams have been too much. Need to do a double feature of this and Northman

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man… I loved all of those movies in the snippet except for Ex Machina. What a great studio

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was brilliant. The funny thing is I was going to watch it by myself purely cuz of Michelle Yeoh, but I randomly brought it up, another friend of mine had heard of it, and we turned it into a group viewing and it was definitely worth it because all my friends loved it as well

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Thats pretty good and i'm sure everyone involved is happy but its still kinda peanuts. The budget is $25m, which means it'll have to make at least $40m (probably closer to $50-60m given length of box office, as theaters keep a bigger % the longer a movie runs) so it probably will not even break even from raw box office, but have to rely on VOD/streaming/TV rights to turn the hump. Thats kinda sad, if a movie that is 10/10 by critics and audiences and has virtually no negatives still barely makes a profit.

It was also executive produced by the Russo Bros, who have 2 of the highest grossing movies in history (Avengers Infinity War and EndGame). Its nice to see them working on super creative stuff like this.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Movie is one of the best I've seen in a long, long time. Definitely deserves it.

Man… I loved all of those movies in the snippet except for Ex Machina. What a great studio
giphy.gif

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Holdup how did Lady Bird have that big of a box office?? Was Saiorse really that big of a draw?

Oct 27, 2017
Thats pretty good and i'm sure everyone involved is happy but its still kinda peanuts. The budget is $25m, which means it'll have to make at least $40m (probably closer to $50-60m given length of box office, as theaters keep a bigger % the longer a movie runs) so it probably will not even break even from raw box office, but have to rely on VOD/streaming/TV rights to turn the hump. Thats kinda sad, if a movie that is 10/10 by critics and audiences and has virtually no negatives still barely makes a profit.

It was also executive produced by the Russo Bros, who have 2 of the highest grossing movies in history (Avengers Infinity War and EndGame). Its nice to see them working on super creative stuff like this.
But with a $25 million budget doesn't it need like $60+ million to break even?
This is only domestic if I'm reading this correctly

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it comes to VOD soon. Unfortunately no where around me is playing it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I would hope they get a good deal on streaming rights, then hopeful Oscar buzz could give it another theater run to make even more moolah.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope they get a good deal on streaming rights, then hopeful Oscar buzz could give it another theater run to make even more moolah.

Showtime has dibs on all A24 films until later this year. Paramount+ confirmed they'll have Showtime integrated into their service this summer. It'll get a lot of promotion by then for sure.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Very good. Best movie I've seen this year.

Also I thought I was misreading watching the end credits that they only had a small VFX team less than 6 people but it's true. Mind-blowing for me. As the VFX is great. Lots of practical and cost saving tricks, very clever.

I especially love how they did the jumping multiverses.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's not released in the UK for another few weeks, otherwise I'd be doing my part.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad this movie is doing well. I saw it a second time to help this movie and that i also loved it

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I am begging my local theaters to get this flick ASAP.

we still have no timeline for it's release

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
We have had some great movies release recently but I think this was my favorite. It deserves all the success.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nice.
Seeing it on Tuesday, going in blind but pretty excited considering the unanimous praise all over the internet and here.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I really want this to hit VOD. I want to see it but dread a trip to the movies... will gladly throw down 20 bucks to watch it at home.