• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Has anyone tried to open a Paypal Dispute against an airline to get their money back? cause I am halfway there.

last Friday I opened a Paypal dispute against Lufthansa cause they wouldn't get back to me to reschedule me after they cancelled a portion of a flight I had bought in January. this was a while ago and I tried lot of things before opening the dispute, I even went to the airport and an asshole told me "just go away, we only do check-in here".

Paypal gives the counterpart a 10-day deadline to answer the claim and state their case, if they don't answer I get the refund I think. if they don't answer by monday, I get a refund.

so far no answer from them, though I am counting on them going day by day to fend off such moves, they'll probably answer during the weekend and we'll settle in the middle with a reschedule or voucher or something.

I'd rather get my money back but hey, it's dire times so whatever.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Well I'm seven weeks away from my flight from Germany to the US but I'll chime in anyway. I'm pretty much going through different scenarios in my head. If Denver is going to be on lockdown in May and the flight won't be cancelled, I'm thinking about cancelling the whole trip at my expense. If some semblance of a regular vacation is still possible and only some activities like the two concerts at Red Rocks are cancelled I'm going to get my ass to Denver because I hate seeing my money, planning and vacation time go to waste.

Maybe that's not the most responsible thing to do but I'm a stubborn guy.

Quoting myself here. Yeah I cancelled the trip. Things are looking rough both in the US and in Germany and I doubt anything will change in April other than things getting worse and potentially curfews in Berlin and Denver. The government also asked citizens to be responsible and cancel intercontinental flights.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone going ahead on flights with a non-critical purpose is being straight up selfish and stupid, it's not just about you anymore. In many parts of the western world we don't know the full extent of the number of infected and reported numbers should be assumed to be lower, many people might not know they are sick or will ever know they were.

A vacation getting canceled sucks, especially if the prospect of losing money due to the cancellation is almost certain, but it's a way lower cost than what the human cost could end up being. Went to Dubai three weeks ago and had we scheduled that trip for two weeks later then we would for sure have canceled following the development we have seen over the last few weeks, we were looking into going on a small vacation in April, but hell no to going anywhere at this point. We had some friends cancel their wedding in April due to everything going on, birthday celebrations as well, this is serious.

You might get infected, you might infect others, you might indirectly be responsible for medical professionals getting infected, you might directly or indirectly infect someone who will end up dying from the virus. If you say that this is an acceptable risk for your silly vacation, then you are just stupid.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
non-critical purpose

I don't think a single person in this thread is considering flying in March/april to go on vacation...

I will go ahead and bet that very single person still considering flying in the next coming weeks has a very very strong reason to even entertain the idea.

whether that reason is "critical" or not, that's on them to decide and that doesn't make them selfish or stupid, just saying.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think a single person in this thread is considering flying in March/april to go on vacation...
I am (April 30th)... but in fairness to me, that vacation would be to spend days on my own in the middle of the wilderness.

That said, if this exponential growth isn't stopped by then, then I'll be cancelling.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Supposed to be flying off to Japan from Indonesia in mid May.. right now just waiting for ANA to extend the refund flight date to May >_>

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I wanted to book a flight to see a friend halfway across the U.S., but I may end up driving instead based on all of the advisories against flying.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I were supposed to go to Italy a week ago for two weeks. If we had scheduled it for one week earlier, we'd be pretty fucked. Luckily we got a refund on everything.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was supposed to be in Paris this week. No refunds for Eurostar or the hotel though since there is no official UK advisory to avoid France.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I have a flight to Portugal in June. Not sure what I should do right now. I'm hoping things will be better by then but it's probably unrealistic. I purchased travel insurance thank god

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I'm hoping things will be better by then but it's probably unrealistic

the thing is, you are probably free to decide on your own what you want to do.

things are very confusing regarding what the governements say and what airlines are doing, I have been monitoring flights both international and within Schengen-area and while indeed many are getting cancelled, airports and airlines aren't by any means shutting down at all.

hell as I type this, there's a flight from Mexico City to Paris, it's in the air right now. not only that, that flight is scheduled as planned every single day for the next 4 days according to Google.

Didn't Macron say no one may get into the EU for 30 days??? is everyone in those flights a EU-national or a permanent resident at least?

it does seem like it's not being enforced or that Macron was just making a suggestion. no idea

EDIT: France, of all EU countries, the one with the most strict penalty fees for just going outside so far, lets flights from the Americas into Charles de Gaule, someone explain that to me.

Last edited:

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I'm passing through Delhi and Dubai tomorrow, been in India since before the outbreak and want to get back before it's no longer an option. leaving behind an SO and we're just gonna try and see each other again asap, maybe she can get to the UK in the summer

Nov 8, 2017
Alton Towers hotel and KLM are both offering the possibility to postpone bookings, so I've postponed my week trip to the UK until November (I was supposed to be flying this weekend).

Jul 18, 2018
Cancelled DC trip, refunded via Southwest as credit on future flights
I have a trip to SF during memorial day in May, I hope things don't get worse in April/May
International flight is at end of Aug... too early to tell

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I had trips upcoming first week and last week of April. Cancelled both of them. The first trip I will try to rebook for sometime in summer. Hopefully the situation is a bit better by then.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm part of my companies exchange program this year, I was supposed to fly to our London office for a week in July but that's currently cancelled as all travel from the company is cancelled.

Who even knows at this point if things will return to normal by July.

Apatxi Chief

Dec 2, 2017
Was supposed to go to Mexico then Cuba from Poland w/ a layover in Paris on Monday with my girlfriend and 3 other friends for 2 weeks. Did not want to go anymore in the previous weeks while the rest of the group pretty much had the "it's just a flu" mindset. Glad our initial flight got cancelled due to Krakow airport effectively shutting down almost all international flights, that pretty much solved the entire argument.

I've pretty lucky so far in that I've managed to get most of our expenses refunded (flights to and from Mexico + hotels there). The only remaining issue are the Interjet flights that we had in Mexico then from Merida to Havana and back - worth about USD$350. I've reached out to them via email but no answer yet. Their policy so far is waiving any change fees if we push back our flights up to November 30th (fare difference to be paid if it applies). However, as we do not have any set dates yet and given that the Mexican government seems to give no fucks in regards to COVID-19, my assumption is that we're not gonna be able to go there until at least October. I will try to push for a full refund - will try to call tonight. Not expecting much TBH - worst case scenario, can I still claim for the taxes to be refunded?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I didn't have anything, but my dad had a congress in Chicago and another in Iceland next month, needless to say they are getting shafted, at least he booked everything with cancelation so his employer won't eat the cost.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Didn't book a flight, but I did make a reservation at a resort in Maldives at the start of May. Recently contacted them and they told me I can cancel my reservation any time and get my deposit back (which was about $500).

I was still planning on going at the start of this month, but now that the situation has turned from "thisisfine.jpg" to complete shutdown and isolation of society, I decided to cancel it. The factors that affected me and my SO personally:
-SO is currently in the Philippines that just had a complete lockdown of the mainland already restricting travel on her end
-The layover airports I need to fly to get there are now at risk for being stranded thanks to country lockdowns and border closures
-Mandatory 14-day SAH quarantines for the majority of the countries that both of us won't be able to comply just for a short vacation

Looking at it, it would still be doable especially once the countries start relaxing their travel restrictions next month, but it's just too much of a headache to deal with it right now especially for just a 4-night resort stay.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I have a flight to Italy early May (booked months ago) for a wedding and meeting up with family. The wedding has been canceled since but my flight has not. I'm hopeful I can cancel and get a full refund for the flight. Last time I checked, however, American Airlines was not offering refunds that far out.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a flight to Italy early May (booked months ago) for a wedding and meeting up with family. The wedding has been canceled since but my flight has not. I'm hopeful I can cancel and get a full refund for the flight. Last time I checked, however, American Airlines was not offering refunds that far out.
My parents had a flight to Italy April 28th, and the airlines have been a complete pain in the ass getting it refunded. I can't remember who they were flying with. Yesterday, my dad was finally able to cancel and get a full refund.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
My parents had a flight to Italy April 28th, and the airlines have been a complete pain in the ass getting it refunded. I can't remember who they were flying with. Yesterday, my dad was finally able to cancel and get a full refund.
Glad to hear they were able to cancel. After reviewing the AA coronavirus page a moment ago it looks like they do allow cancelations now, even for basic economy. Not sure about full refunds, but at the very least it appears I can use the value of my ticket towards a future flight. As long as there are no restrictions on how far out I use this value I'm fine with it.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
This lockdown sucks because my wife and I anniversary is in May and we looks like we might be celebrating our anniversary trip that's usually out of the country at home with each other. Or we might just try to drive up to Canada and hang out there for our anniversary.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My wife and I had a trip booked from the US to UK and Italy at the end of next month. I have asked our travel agent to recover whatever she can to postpone it until next year.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm flying from Ireland to DC to visit family in April, current FCO advice doesn't exclude the US yet so I guess I'm still going. I'll monitor their advice until then.
www.gov.uk

Travel to England from another country – COVID-19 rules

Check if there are any COVID-19 rules in place for travel to England from abroad.
So yeah this flight is now off because I'm coming from UK/Ireland. I'm in a bind though because my travel insurance covers it, but the excess is ÂŁ75, and the price to change flights is only about half that. I may just kick the can down the road and change the flight to a later date (it would need to be after June I guess, the way things are looking?).

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm going crazy stuck at home already. Im probably gonna travel by next month like this, if we're still allowed to travel.

Id rather be stuck in quarantine with my best friend currently in Seattle than being bored almost alone in the suburbs of Atlanta. When I was supposed to be in Seoul during this time

Last edited:

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh flying to London from Toronto on Westjet but my return flight with them is off (though they haven't emailed me anything and I can't get through to them on the phone). I basically have to go to the UK for visa reasons. Will take Air Transat or Air Canada back home.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Got a May flight to Japan I now need to cancel with Opodo, and the hotel I need to cancel with eBookers. Both aren't allowing me to get in contact because they're locked down into "only within 7 days flights/stays" phone contact, and I don't really trust their automated cancellation systems to not try and fuck me outta the full refunds I'm due.

Fun.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My wife and I had a trip booked from the US to UK and Italy at the end of next month. I have asked our travel agent to recover whatever she can to postpone it until next year.
Finally heard back from the travel agent last night. We are getting 100% credit on our trip to be used by the end of 2021. Hopefully we'll be able to go to the same place at the same time next year.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I was planning to go to NC for the august 2 rage against the machine concert, even tho they havent cancelled that part of the tour yet im holding off buying the plane tickets. In my head I already know im not going anymore.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
reached Delhi airport, seven hour stopover, maybe half of the people around me are wearing masks. this is the first time I've been in an area where there have been a number of cases and it's making me a little more nervous than I expected. then again I did just watch contagion during the flight

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to Singapore with my daughter for spring break on air miles- I tried to wait it out and weirdly got improved flights and upgrades as they shifted stuff around but eventually realized it was never going to happen- Alaska refunded everything smoothly and politely. Their customer service has been great.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to Singapore with my daughter for spring break on air miles- I tried to wait it out and weirdly got improved flights and upgrades as they shifted stuff around but eventually realized it was never going to happen- Alaska refunded everything smoothly and politely. Their customer service has been great.
you fly commercial? I thought you had your own 737 or Sr-71

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I've cancelled Rome, Athens, Crete and Amsterdam across the next few months. Still have Bali booked in October. I guess I just have to hope all is good by theen

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I'm supposed to be flying to Texas at the end of next month. Will see where things are by then. At this point it looks like I'm not going but time will tell

Oct 27, 2017
If your flight times are changed can you cancel and get a full refund? A flight I booked months from now has notified me of major flight time changes including added connections.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i had a europe trip planned in mid-april, which obviously isn't happening, but i'm still waiting to see what winds up being refundable

the airline cancelled my nyc-amsterdam flight, but my return flight from london is still scheduled for now. they're trying to convince me to cancel my reservation for a refund in airline credit, but i have no idea if they'll even be a going concern in a few months so i'm just holding off for an actual refund

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
looks like ill be losing my $550 worth of points I used to fly to japan as I only have until 5/16 to rebook

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I will urge everyone here to get in contact directly with the place/airline (A human being I mean) you were meaning to stay at or fly with.

I had the most non-refundable, non-changeable hotel booking ever for a New York City hotel from March 27th to 31st (yeah right...), wrote an email to the general manager and was hoping for a partial refund or voucher to use within a year.

he came back to me within hours and said "it's all good, we refunded everything, it should appear in your card in a day or two, we hope stay with us in a future", that was like $400 me and my partner got back.

maybe I am too stressed out but I nearly teared up.

I don't think highly of humans in general, let alone corporations but this man proved me we don't always suck as a species.