• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I have to cancel my trip to Tokyo at the end of March. Even if I wanted to go everything is closed so what's the point. I'm really annoyed American isn't waiving the change fees for this.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Planned to go to France this Saturday for all of next week. In an hour or two I'm going to get on the phone with Expedia and assess our cancellation fees for our trip. Our AirBnB for that week wants to charge us a $300 fee, plus whatever bullshit British Airways charge us... I'm expecting us both to eat about $1000.

Travel insurance through British Air wouldn't have helped, their policy requires a doctors note to prove that we're too sick to fly. Plus, they're only waiving cancellation fees for flights booked since the beginning of March and not - y'know... Six months ago when I booked them.

Plus I haven't taken a vacation in two years and I'm burnt THE FUCK out at work right now.

Could not be more livid atm

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I have 5 flights to and from Italy happening in April. NYC > Amsterdam (layover) > Italy and then going back Italy > Paris > Barcelona (layover) > NYC. Not a single airline is issuing refunds of any kind. My girlfriend and I are going to have to eat around $1,250.

KLM?? just change the dates tp next year or something!!!! don't eat the cost

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the month, we were supposed to fly to the Philippines via Asiana for a week, then there to Japan for another week before flying back to the US. We ended up cancelling our Philippines trip. Surprisingly, Expedia was able to talk to Asiana into giving us a full refund. This was a few days before Asiana eventually cancelled the flight altogether (probably because we have layovers in South Korea that last for 12 hours) so I guess that's the reason.

Our issue now is the Philippines to Japan flight, since the airline there is unwilling to give us a refund :(. It sucks especially since we were looking forward to this trip since last year.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was gonna go to Czech Republic sometime in april but i'm gonna skip that. Never booked a flight but i'm gonna hold off doing that for some time now. If i had booked i would not go, depensing on how the situation had escalated and it would not be for my own sake, rather for others and not spread the virus if i wouöd get infected.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Flying from Chicago to New Zealand for my brothers wedding this Friday. I'm not sure how irresponsible it is to go but my whole family is going and we haven't really considered the alternative. Are we making a bad decision?

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
For our birthday week me and my wife were planning on going to barcelona, from the UK. Decided against it, just not worth the risk as she gets ill quite easily.
Will lose out on flight cost but hotel was refundable.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to Helsinki from Chicago in four weeks. Not really that concerned but I understand the risks. I might even take advantage of cheap airfare and go to London for a couple of days if things aren't too crazy 😬

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Continue my life normally and take it.

Please reconsider.

I'm going to Helsinki from Chicago in four weeks. Not really that concerned but I understand the risks. I might even take advantage of cheap airfare and go to London for a couple of days if things aren't too crazy 😬

You should be concerned. Being concerned is not the same as panicking. We all need to make adjustments.

We have a trip to Vegas in 3 weeks.

We followed this check list, and evaluated the risk for our family:

www.uth.edu

Story

UTHealth is a comprehensive academic health university in Texas, uniting schools of dentistry, medicine, nursing, public health, biomedical sciences and biomedical informatics.

This is from March 5th, a LOT has changed.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
We've pretty much cancelled our yearly family trip to America. It's in June but I doubt things will be settled by then.

With my mother being Asian she just doesn't want to deal with all the added racism (on top of the usual travel bs we have to deal with because of our religion).

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
some of you are a little blasé about this. The mortality rate for young people is not 0. In fact from the numbers i've seen its about 40-80 times deadlier than the flu even for 20 and 30 year olds.

lino

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Booked my trip to Japan for the beginning of May in November. Looks like I'll be cancelling.

Oct 17, 2018
I was thinking about going to Iceland in like August/September and unless it gets even worse and they start cancelling flights, I'll probably go regardless.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Japan trip in early April. Cancelling, will try to get back as much as we can via travel insurance and refunds.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm off to Osaka mid May and it's touch and go. Not sure what the deal is in Japan, they seem to have a lot less cases but is it accurate, seems not. If the worst of it has blown over we're happy to still go. I'm more worried in case the UK ends up like Italy and then we'll probably not be allowed entry into Japan anyway. Also travelling via Dubai because it's emirates so that might be an issue too. Too early to know for sure but in my mind I'm preparing for it not happening, hopefully able to rebook for later in the year or even next year.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Will continue flying, have a flight on the 29th and another in May and plan to take both unless they go down.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I have a flight to Orlando on the 28th and unless things change drastically in the next couple weeks I'm still going.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I'll continue to monitor but at this time I'm not canceling my flight.

I am with you but I am not sure what's to monitor :/ the thing is everywhere and we should avoid any unnecessary flying.

flying around cities makes us to some extent at least a bit irresponsible and/or selfish, I will be in 5 countries in a time interval of 7 days... I will do it cause I don't want to flush money down the toilet and I am all by myself, I take full responsibility for my actions.

....but on the 2nd leg of the trip I'll travel to see my family (think Germany-> Holland-> New York - >Mexico) I could arrive at my parents in Mexico with a freshly obtanied coronavirus infection, and infect parents, siblings, friends, etc...

I do feel a tiny little bit irresponsible.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a trip to Cuba with my GF at the end of the month.

So far I think it's pretty over control here in Quebec and there...so I'll be taking a chance.

Can't say that I'm not thinking about it though!

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I have a cruise trip from NY to Bermuda in early Sept. It's still far away but with how things are going it's hard to say how it's gonna be by then.

I'm leaning towards it being cancelled but who knows right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Old people are gonna come into contact with the disease at some point. Hell there are hundreds of seniors at this resort right now who dont seem to give a fuck. I imagine they're gonna be around a ton more older people than me when they get home. I'm not gonna blame any individual for not wanting to give into the fear culture surrounding this thing and losing thousands over a cancelled trip. Life is too short
You're vacationing in Mexico right now and you're on here spending precious vacation time making like 5 posts about how not worried you are? Haha! Sure, you really demonstrated how not worried you are....

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Going to Seattle from April 8th to 12th for a quick sightseeing trip.

Was going with a friend, but I have a suspicions he might cancel (he's getting flack from his family).

It be one thing if we were in one of the states with no listed corona victims, but we live in fucking new york city...seems a bit hypocritical to be afraid considering I believe by today's tally we are clearly leading the nation in the outbreak.

I got tix to see King Krule tho in a good venue during the time so as long as that shown is going on im 100% there, solo if needed.

"Dont let the terrorists win" - GW Bush

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
FIL is cancelling an April trip to stay with us for 3 weeks. Hubby might drive to New Orleans and bring him to Austin though cause if things get bad, we trust the services in Austin more than New Orleans.

He's also cancelling a trip to Taiwan, and MIL is stuck in Taiwan.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have a family trip to Florida in two months. Theme parks, gulf, the whole nine yards.

At the moment it is all systems go, but I am keeping an eye on things.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I just flew back to NZ from Colombia via LAX this morning, and was pretty cautious about things. With the Snap Partner Summit and E3 cancelled that's two less trips to the US in the next few months.

I'll still go to a conference in Colombia in late May, but will avoid LAX and connect through Santiago, Chile instead. Frankly I consider the US one of the highest risk places to contract COVID19 right now and likely for the next few months.

Nov 13, 2017
I had a big trip to Korea and Japan planned for the end of April that I had to cancel. The cancellation fee from Korean Air and Delta were BANANAS. Ironically I booked it all about a week before the news started blowing up.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a short trip within the country and I'm already finding it hard to enjoy with the paranoia. Things change so quickly, I can't even be certain that it's safe to take a train on Sunday. When I get back I'll probably be super cautious for weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm from Canada and am in mexico right now at a resort with hundreds of people from all over the world. I'm not worried. I'm not in a risk group and even if I do catch it the most I'll have to do is self quarantine for a few weeks. Only person I'm worried about is my grandpa because he is picking us up from the airport. If either me or my girlfriend feel sick I'll probably get a taxi home instead.

To me going on a trip isn't selfish because the virus is everywhere at this point. It's in every country and nothing is gonna stop it. We can try and slow it down as much as possible of course but it isn't gonna be eradicated any time soon and that means inevitably it will roll through everyone until they either develop a vaccine or there's no one else to infect. Nothing I individually do is gonna make a difference.
Exact same boat as you. From Canada, have a 2 weeka trip to Cancun, Mexico booked with my girlfriend for the last week of May. We did buy insurance with our tickets so we can get a full refund, but for now we wait and see.

Worst case scenario, we will get our refund and use that money to go somewhere on those same dates in Canada.

Mar 3, 2019
I just flew back to NZ from Colombia via LAX this morning, and was pretty cautious about things. With the Snap Partner Summit and E3 cancelled that's two less trips to the US in the next few months.

I'll still go to a conference in Colombia in late May, but will avoid LAX and connect through Santiago, Chile instead. Frankly I consider the US one of the highest risk places to contract COVID19 right now and likely for the next few months.

How does the containment efforts in NZ looking like right now? Im flying into NZ in June, and at this point I wouldnt be surprised for an outbreak between now and then.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm following the CDC travel guidelines like any reasonable person should. Including sanitation practices which at this point is stuff everyone should be doing anyway so not much of a change. I don't plan to cancel but if they advise to halt non-essential travel then I will.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
How does the containment efforts in NZ looking like right now? Im flying into NZ in June, and at this point I wouldnt be surprised for an outbreak between now and then.

5 cases and no deaths, all contained to Auckland last time I checked (5m population). For all countries, I think it will get worse before it gets better though.

We have a good public health care system too, and tourists can access emergency for free for example.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Had a trip planned to Poland this but think I will have to cancel due to my parents' concern.

flamingo

Oct 27, 2017
Was planning to tour DC on the 19th, my connecting flight is through ATL. No insurance, so hoping the flight gets canceled.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I'm really not sure with what to do about my flight back to Frankfurt next week (Air Canada). I doubt they will cancel their flights but god knows (especially after Merkel's message).

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm booking another flight this week. I'm currently in the southern US when I'm supposed to be in Korea right now. I can't go back to Korea yet but I definitely refuse to be stuck in the southern US of all places

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I've had a flight to Iceland in April booked for almost 4 months now. I really don't want to cancel it or change it. I've been looking forward to it for so fucking long, I feel like I need it lol.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Had a few work flights planned over the next few weeks.. I have cancelled or will be canceling them shortly.

can't get my money back, but I do get credit for later flights

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
We are flying to London to Vancouver in April, and are due to be doing a week at Whistler and a week on vancouver isalnd. We are worried that the flights will end up getting cancelled. Spent in excess of 5k on the trip already with flights, passes, lessons etc
We had been planning to go to Sicily in the Summer, but putting that on ice for now.