• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not but ONLY because the fucking movie was never available at my Blockbuster whenever I wanted to rent it.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I saw this after watching Akira on the Sci-Fi channel, I think it was. I don't like Ninja Scroll much haha

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Robotech was technically the first I watched though I didn't know what anime was at the time. A few years later the first anime I watched that I knew was "anime" was Ronin Warriors and Sailor Moon (premiered the same summer -'95) then Akira the following year and Ogre slayer was the fist VHS anime I purchased. Strangely I saw Vampire Hunter D and The Professional (Golgo 13) on TBS, where they seemed to play Orion published movies at random late nights. I did see Ninja Scroll about a year later though.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Akira and Ninja Scroll...

So glad my parents were too busy to check these out with me.

It would have been awkward as hell to explain what the fuck I myself, were surprised to see.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
To be exact, first anime's was Dragon Quest, Devil Hunter Yohko, and Orguss 02. That was the first tape I got from a friend.

Damn I feel old...

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Although I'm no longer a fan of Anime, I did watch some Anime as a teen over a friend's house when Sci-Fi did their Anime marathons in the early 90s. I recall watching Robotek when I was younger, but these were the first animated movies I knew that came from Japan. Coming from shows like GI Joe and TMNT, the mature subjects and violence blew my mind. The three I remember watching and enjoying were:

Venus Wars:

Tank Police:

and my all-time favorite, Vampire Hunter D:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You speak of ye olde anime... I raise you this:

Sally_the_Witch_TV_Series-696900111-large.jpg

Anyone remembers this?

I didn't actually watch this, it felt too corny for me even as a kid, but I still remember the song in the Québécois localization lol. "Miniféééééée, minifééééée!"

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I think my first exposure was Battle of the Planets (heavily watered down in the UK). But when Manga started releasing VHS tapes it was among one of the first along with Akira and First of the North Star.

It was so badass. The enemies felt like videogame bosses. I still think how he defeats the blind samurai in the bamboo forest is genius.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The after school block on TV was Samurai Pizza Cats, Teknoman and Ronin Warriors. In the morning before school I'd watch Sailor Moon and Robotech. These were blessed times.

OG weekday morning and afternoon, as well as Saturday morning cartoons were legit as fuck.

Late 80's to 90's era cartoons were magical as fuck

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Ninja Scroll, Alita, DBZ, Slayers, Saint Seiya, Cpt. Tsubasa were the ones that drag me into the rabbit hole.

But even before that I remember watching some obscure anime movies in TV: Lensman and others I don't even remember their names.

EDIT: also freaking Urotsukidoji was my first hentai.

Oct 26, 2017
My first anime was Akira. We didn't call them anime's back then, we called them "Manga Movies" That may have well been a regional thing though.

It was shown on Channel 4 (UK) in the early '90s and it was quite a ride, I doubt I was older than 11 or 12. Channel 4 was known as the channel that pushed boundaries in terms of foreign and adult programming over here so if they were the obvious choice to delve into that.
At some point later on they started showing random anime's late at night on the weekends, I remember Judge, Devilman, The Legend of the 4 kings series and 3X3 eyes.
A couple of years back I found TLoT4K and 3X3 eyes on Youtube and watched them, unless my memory has warped them CH4 must have shown edited down versions of each series to hit a running time as they had a lot more content than I remember.
Around that time, VHS's were being passed around by friends and Ninja Scroll was unsurprisingly one of them. As well as the infamous Wicked City/Demon City double VHS.
Ee780fPWoAM4o2R.jpg

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Scroll was my first "Japinimation" as it was being called that I watched in the 90's. However in retrospect it's amazing how much anime I watched before that I assumed were American/Western cartoons like Tranzor Z, Voltron, etc... even down to the Christian cartoons "Superbook" and "The Flying House" I used to watch on CBN. LOL

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Literally my first, and my uncle stood in front of the tv during the booby and rapey parts.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Not my first, but I bought it on VHS. Sci-Fi Channel's Global Showcase was where I found anime. Robot Carnival blew my mind. An unshakably special feeling.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also reminded of one of my favorite Era threads. (yes, I know Ninja Scroll was '90s)

www.resetera.com

80s anime was so stylish.

From Tank Police, to Golgo 13, to Lupin, Akira, Yu Yu Hakusho and their take on Japanese school uniforms, tons of 80s anime had a very distinct visual style. From the characters themselves, their hair styles, their wardrobes, and vehicles. Does anyone why character designers of that era were...

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I remember being scared my Mom would see what I was watching. It wasn't my first but probably the one where I started to actually seek out anime. Before that I just saw it all as cartoons.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Cities of Gold and Patlabor are the first ones I remember seeing on TV.

teletoon in Canada aired it with no censorship whatsoever at like 7PM one time.
I saw it on YTV on an anime special as a teenager and it was also completely uncensored.
Sure made me want to know more about anime.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't actually watch this, it felt too corny for me even as a kid, but I still remember the song in the Québécois localization lol. "Miniféééééée, minifééééée!"
Depuis qu'on la connait, on ne s'ennuie jamais. Avouez que c'est pratique d'avoir une amie magique.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Old is wishing you had 60 bucks to buy a dubbed Bootleg Vampire Hunter D VHS from a Star Trek con in 1993.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My first anime was that Ronin Warriors / Samurai Troopers and something else, but I cant remember the name. Then midnight Toonami lol. Back when it was Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Gundam Wing.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
You got me too. 38 years old. First anime I saw. Nearly scared me off of anime for life. Who know you could die from STDs that quickly?

A year late I saw was Vampire Hunter D, then Crying Freeman, then I woke up at 630 am every Saturday to watch one episode of Dragon Ball z. Took forever to finish a DBZ season.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My introduction to anime was Ninja Scroll and Fist of the North Star (1986 film) which my friend brought over on VHS. We watched them both the same night (can't remember which one first) and I was blown away that something so cool existed. The only other "adult" animation I had seen before that was Heavy Metal so it kind of opened my eyes to a lot of new media. Soon after I made a routine of renting at least a couple anime films every week from the local video stores. This was around 20 years ago and I haven't really kept up on anything current. I love the look of the animation from that era and don't think I'll ever look at anything newer the same way.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Remember having to rewatch the entire run of DBZ over and over again every time they hit a brand new episode lol. Seeing that very first episode again after finally getting to the big Frieza fight on Nameck pissed me off every time.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah! Back when they did the midnight(eastern) anime movie nights, they got progressively more and more risque! It started off with like cowboy bebop, and macross and stuff like that, then there was GiTS and death and rebirty of Eva... then read or die, Alita, ninja scroll, and culminated with Bible Black, it for sure got through the impaling intro, but I know they cut it pretty early into the movie.