• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the first anime I ever saw (that was probably Voltron), but I've still got my VHS copy in storage.

The first anime VHS tape I bought was Fist of the Northstar back in 1991-
fotn.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Shit man yeah. It was the first that I knew was anime. StarBlazers and Robotech, while they were the bastard american version of anime should still count right? And im 42! (Feels strange typing that out cause I dont feel like a middle-aged man)

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
My older cousin walked us to the video rental store and got 3 movies.

Ninja Scroll

Fist of the North Star

Don't be a Menace in South Central while drinking your juice in the hood.

These movies have shaped the person I have become the more and more I look back.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Demon City Shinjuku, Robot Carnival, Akira, 8 Man After, Casshern, Lensman, Vampire Hunter D, Tank Police, Ninja Scroll, MD Geist, and of course Project A-ko. Some of that stuff still holds up 100% today and some of it is MD Geist.

I recorded the Anime Festival on Sci-fi Channel every year and I think I still have the VHS for Lensman somewhere. Stuff like Tank Police, Robot Carnival, Akira, Lensman and A-ko have stuck with me ever since.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tried watching my dad's VHS of this when I was like 6 years old. It got mixed up with my cartoons.

However my father quickly realised and stopped the movie before it began. Think he ended up selling most of his old anime VHS.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
My dad showed it to me when I was like in 3rd or 4th grade. the bee guy scared the shit out of me. also I thought snakes came out of vags.

first anime was probably Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball early in the morning before school

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I own my Manga Video DVD still.

Let me be frank... the animation is still SO good. The action is still SO good.

... Some of the content is SOOOOOO bad. Like, with a family in the house now, I don't know how I could put that disc in and watch it without feeling a deep level of shame during certain scenes. It's got problems.

But the action is so good.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Crying Freeman and Golgo 13.

Way to Young to be watching that stuff.

Robot Carnival was also one of the first.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait, I remember watching Voltron years before Ninja Scrolls. I was too young and didn't even know what anime was at that age.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It was one of them, but I can't remember if it was the first one. I remember having an old VHS tape that had Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D on it. Ghost in the Shell was the one that really made me "wow" at anime, though. Akira came a few years later.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Ninja Scroll, along with Project A-ko, Akira, GitS, Record of Lodoss War, and several others, were my introduction to anime, thanks to the sci-fi channel's saturday morning anime. What a time that was, paying like $30+ per VHS for like, 2-4 episodes at a time of something.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
One of the best family friendly cartoons I was able to get my grandma to rent for me from Blockbuster.

A great family cartoon my mom got me was Fist of the North Star.

I don't think my family paid much attention to the backs of boxes?

Edit: while at it my parents rented me Legend of the Overfiend when I was 12

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm old enough to remember getting in trouble at the Blockbuster I worked at when I played Ninja Scroll on the in store TV's when it came out on VHS.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
First anime was Dragon Quest...

Helps when you have a japanese friend bringing stuff recorded from japan

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Sailor Moon was my first.

And I still think Carry On is a better final battle song than just using the shows theme.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Scroll, Macross, Robotech, Fist of The North Star, and Guyver were amongst the first for me. I'm not that old at 29.

My oldest brother often took me to suncoast and another store that I'm forgetting to look at tons of shit. He would buy me those books full of toys from Japan based on a variety of anime shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
My brothers rented it from blockbuster when i was like 6 or 7 and i walked into the family room to hang out with them. Before they even saw me, I saw an arm being drank like capri-sun

So I went into the other room and played pokemon red version on my game boy color and tried to forget about that.

I watched it a couple years ago stoned as hell and loved the fuck out of it tho.

I think my first was Ranma 1/2 tho.