• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yes, it's absolutely worth it. I'd even say it's mostly worth it to stick it out with A Realm Reborn as it is. I don't think the overhaul is going to be as substantial as some would like. Like, they'll probably tweak the last couple of quests so they don't require you and a party of 8 to sit through a whole ass hour of poorly-written cutscenes with subpar voice acting. They'll probably prune the post-game quest grind and I dunno maybe shove the dull 2.1-2.3 primal stuff into a subquest series like Heavensward onward does with its endgame trials. I could see them doing something about the Lv30-35ish Titan quest section too. It's going to be targeted at the 2 or 3 areas that receive the most criticism and player drop-off, not a complete rework of the whole main scenario.

Responding to your questions:

- Playing on a base PS4 ain't pretty, but it's viable. I did it for years before investing in a decent PC. You'll have long load times and your PS4 will sound like a jet engine sometimes (though that happens with a lot of games). It chugs. But it works.

- Not being an MMO person is a roadblock for sure. FFXIV is designed a little different from most MMOs on the market. The game gets a lot of praise for its story, most of which is playable solo. The game is a Final Fantasy game first and an MMO second. You play it for the story, the world, and the characters. Yes, the quest structure is pretty typical for MMOs. Go there, do that, come back. Especially in the base game. Expansions at least tend to tell some pretty interesting stories through its side-quests.

- And yeah, as everyone else said, playing with a controller is 100% viable for all content. I use an XB1 controller on PC to play all levels of content except crafting. There's a bit of a learning curve with it, but once it clicks, it feels like butter.

Well, exactly. I'm not a fan of FF either. I'm neither a fan of FF or MMOs.
This is a truly unusual thread to post in if you have no interest in the series or genre.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I decided to jump in today because why not. You guys are right that the ARR stuff is pretty bad but it's standard fair as far as early MMO stuff goes. Fortunately I got on a server where new players get double XP so I am up to level 12 now after starting earlier.

The map system is really frustrating but I am sure I will get used to it. My biggest complaint so far though is the targeting system is truly god awful. I don't know that they could do much more given the limitations of a controller but ugh, it's super annoying. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new content that I've heard so much praise about for years.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I am ~144 hours in to the game right now, and I'm currently working through the first expansion, Heavensward (Just checked the quest list, and I'm on quest 50 of 94 for Heavensward). Right now, it's 2AM, I work at 9 tomorrow, and I don't want to stop because I want to know what happens next in the story.

I never thought I would be this invested in the story of an MMO, but here I am.

I, personally, really enjoyed the ARR story and would recommend NOT skipping it if you want to be immersed in the world and all the story has to offer.

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to jump in today because why not. You guys are right that the ARR stuff is pretty bad but it's standard fair as far as early MMO stuff goes. Fortunately I got on a server where new players get double XP so I am up to level 12 now after starting earlier.

The map system is really frustrating but I am sure I will get used to it. My biggest complaint so far though is the targeting system is truly god awful. I don't know that they could do much more given the limitations of a controller but ugh, it's super annoying. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new content that I've heard so much praise about for years.
Some tips for the targetting:

Go to the character configuration and enable filters if you haven't. It lets you quick swap what's selectable. Like filters for just party members, or just enemies, or just objects, etc....

Use the camera. Pressing X/A will generally target the closest thing to you that's in the center of the camera. You can position the camera so what you want to target is in that sweet spot before hitting X/A.

The dpad is your best friend if you're a healer. While it's obvious left/right will target things horizontally across your camera field, up/down are also used for targeting. They're reserved for your party members in the order of your party list. This comes in handy for healing spells or any other move that requires you to target a party member while in combat.

The shoulder buttons can also be used as replacements for left/right on the dpad. This comes in handy when you want to keep your left thumb on the joystick but need to change targets.

Soft targets are a thing in the game. While hard targeting something with X/A, you can then switch to a second soft target by using the dpad to change target. As long you don't press X/A again your hard target won't change and by pressing O/B on a soft target you can revert back to your hard target. Again something helpful for healing since you can keep your hard target on an enemy, soft target someone for heals, then revert back quickly to the hard target with O/B to do more damage or vice versa if you prefer to hard target the tank for quick heals.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017

Go to the character configuration and enable filters if you haven't. It lets you quick swap what's selectable. Like filters for just party members, or just enemies, or just objects, etc....

Use the camera. Pressing X/A will generally target the closest thing to you that's in the center of the camera. You can position the camera so what you want to target is in that sweet spot before hitting X/A.

The dpad is your best friend if you're a healer. While it's obvious left/right will target things horizontally across your camera field, up/down are also used for targeting. They're reserved for your party members in the order of your party list. This comes in handy for healing spells or any other move that requires you to target a party member while in combat.

The shoulder buttons can also be used as replacements for left/right on the dpad. This comes in handy when you want to keep your left thumb on the joystick but need to change targets.

Soft targets are a thing in the game. While hard targeting something with X/A, you can then switch to a second soft target by using the dpad to change target. As long you don't press X/A again your hard target won't change and by pressing O/B on a soft target you can revert back to your hard target. Again something helpful for healing since you can keep your hard target on an enemy, soft target someone for heals, then revert back quickly to do more damage or vice versa if you prefer to hard target the tank for quick heals.
I don't have much experience playing with a controller, but seconding this. In fact, here's a guide about the various types of targeting for controller users in the game that might be helpful: https://imgur.com/a/LeHGxu0

In general there are a whole bunch of quality of life things hidden in the character configuration and system settings menus, so definitely play around there with different control styles and settings to see what you like. There are also things in there like turning on enemy health percentages on life bars or disabling certain warnings and notifications that will likely help a lot.

Also worth noting that the HUD is 100% customizable, so after you've gotten used to things a little bit, feel free to start playing around with layouts, sizes, etc.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I am ~144 hours in to the game right now, and I'm currently working through the first expansion, Heavensward (Just checked the quest list, and I'm on quest 50 of 94 for Heavensward). Right now, it's 2AM, I work at 9 tomorrow, and I don't want to stop because I want to know what happens next in the story.

I never thought I would be this invested in the story of an MMO, but here I am.

I, personally, really enjoyed the ARR story and would recommend NOT skipping it if you want to be immersed in the world and all the story has to offer.
Heavensward is really good, and Stormblood is just as good, but Shadowbringers takes it to a whole other level.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
With the tepid reception of FFVII Remake so far

The game sits at 87 on da Meta, are you trolling or what?

If you don't like MMOs, you probably won't like XIV. The story in the expansions is good but you still have to slog through a TON of slow, badly-paced MMO content, especially in the main ARR storyline.

I would wait until they completely reboot the ARR storyline before jumping in.
FFXIV was also my first MMO and I ended up liking it starting from ARR. I played only up to Heavensward and apparently it just keeps getting better with every expansion.

When I have time I'll go back in but it's really, really friendly for people coming from playing solo and JRPGs.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah, Stormblood is the so-called """bad""" expansion, but now that I've had plenty of time to process everything and also replay Heavensward, I'm pretty comfortable saying that the Doma half of Stormblood is at least is on par, if not better than Heavensward. The whole section of game from the Azim Steppe through Doma Castle is superb. The Ala Mhigo section still drags it down, but it's still overall a fantastic expansion. Its biggest sin is trying to turn a comedic relief character (and one half of the classic funny man/straight man setup who no longer has the straight man to play off of) into the dramatic leading role. It's unearned and her characterization is pretty dry. Also the postgame story is all pretty great. Under the Moonlight is one of the best story patches in the game.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Thinking about buying a time card but I burned out very early into storm blood. As soon as the the villian was revealed I got a bit tired of it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Soft targets are a thing in the game. While hard targeting something with X/A, you can then switch to a second soft target by using the dpad to change target. As long you don't press X/A again your hard target won't change and by pressing O/B on a soft target you can revert back to your hard target. Again something helpful for healing since you can keep your hard target on an enemy, soft target someone for heals, then revert back quickly to the hard target with O/B to do more damage or vice versa if you prefer to hard target the tank for quick heals.
Thanks for the scoop! In my case I'm playing a hunter and so the targeting is pretty crucial if I'm trying to fight a few things at once and swapping back and for between targets and/or selecting the other nearest one has just been a nightmare.. I'll see if doing some fiddling with these options helps. I tried to do some reconfiguration immediately when I started if only because the UI was so small for playing across the room.. had that 140% increase and now it looks fine although it's certainly very busy in towns, ha. I made some changes to names showing and the like and that helped. I looked at that HUD customization option but it was incredibly daunting without having played much at that point (so many overlays all over the screen!) so I put it off for the time being.

One other thing that has surprised me is the lack of a "Z-target" if you will functionality as default. I assume there must be an option in there as well so I'll have to see if I can find it.. I'm trying to kite and keep the target in my field of vision but it's almost impossible since you turn away from it when you try and run. There's also an incredibly frustrating regularity of the target resetting even if you're not that far from its spawn point.

I'd like to not have to hold down the R button all the time -- is it possible to make it so the face buttons just work without hitting it too while you're in combat?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the scoop! In my case I'm playing a hunter and so the targeting is pretty crucial if I'm trying to fight a few things at once and swapping back and for between targets and/or selecting the other nearest one has just been a nightmare.. I'll see if doing some fiddling with these options helps. I tried to do some reconfiguration immediately when I started if only because the UI was so small for playing across the room.. had that 140% increase and now it looks fine although it's certainly very busy in towns, ha. I made some changes to names showing and the like and that helped. I looked at that HUD customization option but it was incredibly daunting without having played much at that point (so many overlays all over the screen!) so I put it off for the time being.

One other thing that has surprised me is the lack of a "Z-target" if you will functionality as default. I assume there must be an option in there as well so I'll have to see if I can find it.. I'm trying to kite and keep the target in my field of vision but it's almost impossible since you turn away from it when you try and run. There's also an incredibly frustrating regularity of the target resetting even if you're not that far from its spawn point.

I'd like to not have to hold down the R button all the time -- is it possible to make it so the face buttons just work without hitting it too while you're in combat?
Z target is left stick click while you have a target by default i believe. You can also switch the camera controls so youre always facing forward and sidestep/walk backwards while facing forward if you'd prefer that. Its under Charcarter Config -> Control Settings -> Movement Settings -> Standard Type.

Theres a toggle mode for the hotbar that lets you tap L2/R2 to enable the hotbar buttons. Its under Character Config -> Hotbar Settings -> Cross -> Cross Hotbar Controls -> Toggle.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I spent countless days with it and I absolutely loved it. In saying that... I got burned out hard after completing all of the Heavensward content. I'll go back but I need a few months off.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Z target is left stick click while you have a target by default i believe. You can also switch the camera controls so youre always facing forward and sidestep/walk backwards while facing forward if you'd prefer that. Its under Charcarter Config -> Control Settings -> Movement Settings -> Standard Type.

Theres a toggle mode for the hotbar that lets you tap L2/R2 to enable the hotbar buttons. Its under Character Config -> Hotbar Settings -> Cross -> Cross Hotbar Controls -> Toggle.
Fantastic, thanks again! That will be going on immediately when I play again.

Oct 27, 2017
started a new character a few days ago
i've played a few times before, but i've never gotten as far as i have this time around (just hit 35, about to take on my second primal)

i'm having fun, but i do get real nervous every time i do a dungeon, since i actually want to see the cutscenes, but i can't enjoy them, since i imagine that the rest of my party is cursing me and yelling "come OOOONNNNNN"

it hasn't been a huge issue so far, but are there going to be times where i need to be like, "can you guys give me a few minutes so i can actually understand the storyline, sorry i'm not just grinding this over and over like the rest of you"

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
i've played a few times before, but i've never gotten as far as i have this time around (just hit 35, about to take on my second primal)

i'm having fun, but i do get real nervous every time i do a dungeon, since i actually want to see the cutscenes, but i can't enjoy them, since i imagine that the rest of my party is cursing me and yelling "come OOOONNNNNN"

it hasn't been a huge issue so far, but are there going to be times where i need to be like, "can you guys give me a few minutes so i can actually understand the storyline, sorry i'm not just grinding this over and over like the rest of you"
Take your time, no one cares. The dungeons cutscenes are short for the most part and 1 person missing is no big deal. And the two raid dungeons that have long cutscenes were made into no skip zones a year or so ago cause everyone kept skipping them and new players weren't able to enjoy them. So no one will blame you for taking your time in them cause they're all forced to watch them.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Most dungeons don't have super long cutscenes unless it's before and after you finish it. The only exception is one level 50 dungeon, which was a huge problem and they haven't done anything like that since.

Oct 27, 2017
Take your time, no one cares. The dungeons cutscenes are short for the most part and 1 person missing is no big deal. And the two raid dungeons that have long cutscenes were made into no skip zones a year or so ago cause everyone kept skipping them and new players weren't able to enjoy them. So no one will blame you for taking your time in them cause they're all forced to watch them.
great, thank you. lol, i'll make sure to get them all out of the way as an expendable DPS so we're not without a healer or tank

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah dungeons usually only have 2 cutscenes, 1 at the very start showing a brief overview (which all players are locked at the start until everyone is out of) and a brief cutscene showing the final dungeon boss appearing.

Oct 27, 2017
Ff7's reception has been "tepid"? Really? The game that isn't even out until tomorrow, isn't it most consumers hands, and has generally good reviews? I feel like it's waaaay too early to say that.

for FF14 tho I've been interested too. So 5.3 will Fix original campaign it seems? When will that drop?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Ff7's reception has been "tepid"? Really? The game that isn't even out until tomorrow, isn't it most consumers hands, and has generally good reviews? I feel like it's waaaay too early to say that.

for FF14 tho I've been interested too. So 5.3 will Fix original campaign it seems? When will that drop?
5.25 dropped this week, so probably a month - 6 weeks away from 5.3. Usually when they give a patch number for a feature they're actually saying the patch series though which can span months. Big stuff like raids and story will drop on the initial patch, but quality of life improvements like the ARR story revamp and new features could for example drop weeks to months later in a smaller patch (i.e. 5.31 or 5.35). We'll have a better idea of the schedule in early May when they detail the patch series.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
5.3 has been delayed because of the coronavirus lockdown. It was scheduled for mid June and Yoship says they don't know how long the delay will be. He said it may be between two weeks and a month.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

Take your time, watch the cutscenes. Anecdotally, the party will get more annoyed if someone pulls the boss early while someone is still in a cutscene. It's considered very rude. Personally, I really love the story of FFXIV and want others to love it too, so I get annoyed when I see someone skip a cutscene lol.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the new update how long should take to reach the expansions?

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find ARR to be a slog as much as others did. The game is probably my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy behind 7 and Tactics. I play mostly for the story and love so much about the world and characters. The gameplay is fun for me overall but not enough to do a lot of the end game grind.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
With the new update how long should take to reach the expansions?
Nobody knows for sure, my guess is they are shaving off a few short hours, maybe bump the xp, try to change around/delete some of the fetch/delivery quests in mostly the post ARR patch content. So maybe like 2 to 5 hours less? But no one knows.

I think in general many people have the wrong idea, they aren't gonna miraculously shorten the whole ARR campaign to 10 hours, just ease some of the more tedious quests.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
i bought this way back in Aug 2019 but stopped when the holidays picked up.

I have the itch for an MMO and with PSO2 for pc taking ages, i think i want to jump into this and really explore all the things you guys are talking about.

Weddings? i had no idea these things take place. My issue is i'm a solo player and i wish i had a group to play with at times.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My only real major criticism of the progression is that the challenge is just tuned so low that it doesn't serve well to learn your class rotation nor makes the thousands of quests satisfying.

I think many would forgive the mundane justification of the quest content if at least the world felt a bit more dangerous or demanding. (Gotta hit newest endgame patch content group stuff for thrills)

I love the game and have played since PS3 launch, but it's always been the real kick in the nuts for me with MMO's. XIV notwithstanding. Just lethargic encounters experienced on autopilot. Married to the tedium of running to and fro in god mode and that does more damage to newcomer impressions than just an ARR script update would fix.

Just a gripe, I'd still wholeheartedly recommend the game to anyone as there is so much within to love regardless.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but I still haven't gotten past the stuff that comes after the main game but before Heavensward :/

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Generally people will wait for you to finish a cutscene. People are used to it. Especially for 4man dungeons.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Played a lot over the weekend and now have my archer/bard to level 51.. that Road to 70 buff is super nice. I am maybe 70% through the story of the original game I think.. a shame you have to do all of it before moving on but I get it. Here is my rock star..

6fb3b2a784f6205f6f6c8c14215a36dd_8e81e2940511f7152ba4462fe53e35b8fl0_640x873.jpg

Had a few unexpected twists in the story lately which has been cool. I have been impressed by the outfits in the game.. there are some legitimately awesome ones to see. Same with the mounts -- blown away by the Chocobos in particular although I don't fully understand the stabling thing so I haven't upgraded mine or however that works.

suikoden352

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Stormblood is the so-called """bad""" expansion, but now that I've had plenty of time to process everything and also replay Heavensward, I'm pretty comfortable saying that the Doma half of Stormblood is at least is on par, if not better than Heavensward. The whole section of game from the Azim Steppe through Doma Castle is superb. The Ala Mhigo section still drags it down, but it's still overall a fantastic expansion. Its biggest sin is trying to turn a comedic relief character (and one half of the classic funny man/straight man setup who no longer has the straight man to play off of) into the dramatic leading role. It's unearned and her characterization is pretty dry. Also the postgame story is all pretty great. Under the Moonlight is one of the best story patches in the game.
this is good to know since i just got into the stormblood expansion early this morning. heavensward was such a ride all the way through and just ramped up to the end. so glad i'm back in it while destiny 2 is currently in a dullard situation right now.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Generally people will wait for you to finish a cutscene. People are used to it. Especially for 4man dungeons.
That is usually the case, but I have had more than a few occasions where the tank pulls the boss while I am watching a cutscene and I get that stupid notification that the boss room will lock in 15 seconds. Since I am a healer, it gives me a bit of anxiety and can really ruin a hype story moment. I wish I could disable that and the party chatter chirp during cutscenes.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Quick question.

I played this game on PS4 for a month back in 2017, then never again because I decided not to pay for an online sub.

Do you guys think my account and character progress got deleted? If not, would I be able to use it on PC this time?

Lunoir

Aug 31, 2019
Massachusetts
A little late to the party here, but I would 100% wait until they revamp the ARR story experience to get into FFXIV right now. As someone who has put hundreds of hours into the game and adored most of Shadowbringers, I honestly can't bring myself to say that the slog you have to go through to get there is worth it.

It makes concessions on what makes an MMO good for its story, and it makes concessions on what makes a story good for its MMO, which to me ultimately made it feel mediocre on both counts most of the way through. I've quit the game more times than I can count out of frustration, but kept coming back for promises of good times with friends and fun jobs to play (the shit I'll put up with to be a cool red mage...). But Shadowbringers really brought the storytelling to another level, at least by comparison. A lot of people like Heavensward's story but I honestly didn't get the praise of the game's story at all until Shadowbringers.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Quick question.

I played this game on PS4 for a month back in 2017, then never again because I decided not to pay for an online sub.

Do you guys think my account and character progress got deleted? If not, would I be able to use it on PC this time?
Your account and character are still there. Yes, you'd be able to play with that character on PC if you buy a PC license (or licenses), as the game isn't cross-buy (the sub itself work across all platforms, but you still have to buy the game and expansions for each platform)

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Your account and character are still there. Yes, you'd be able to play with that character on PC if you buy a PC license (or licenses), as the game isn't cross-buy (the sub itself work across all platforms, but you still have to buy the game and expansions for each platform)
Awesome. Another question if I may.

I remember XIV was pretty fun to play solo. Is that still true or did they change the game to be more dependent on guilds?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

I remember XIV was pretty fun to play solo. Is that still true or did they change the game to be more dependent on guilds?
It's exactly the same amount of dependency on other players as it always has been. MSQ is mostly solo except for when you have to matchmake with others for dungeons (although you can do Shadowbringers MSQ dungeons with A.I.) and trials. Anything of normal difficulty can be easily matchmade into and be cleared. Anything above normal (EX, Savage, etc.), you're gonna want to use Party Finder. XIV has never been and probably never will be dependent on guilds. They're a social element, not a gameplay element

Koenigssee

Nov 17, 2017

You can solo harder than ever since they implemented a NPC system for Shadowbringers' story dungeons and data center-wide raid finder for faster queueing time.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
That is usually the case, but I have had more than a few occasions where the tank pulls the boss while I am watching a cutscene and I get that stupid notification that the boss room will lock in 15 seconds. Since I am a healer, it gives me a bit of anxiety and can really ruin a hype story moment. I wish I could disable that and the party chatter chirp during cutscenes.
If they do that, let them die. They should know better,especially as you'rea healer. Party chatter?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
First thing to internalize as the healer: YOU are the one who sets the pace. Not the tank. Definitely not the DPS lol.
Without you, the others die so if you say "brb" they don't/can't move.
Get into that mentality and if anyone gives you shit? let em die, find others. you have instant queues anyway.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Interesting, the image of my character above just updated to the gear I'm wearing now -- that's kinda cool! I decided to give Samurai a shot and whoo boy it is fun as hell. A lot of work though.. feels like I'm playing a fighting game with the constant combos! I'll have to figure out what the best rotation is and the like one of these days..

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
My friend started this 2 weeks ago. The catchup mechanics are real for the old (at least ARR) content. Not only has he facerolled the 2.0 campaign as a tank with 2 wipes and seemingly no grind (except lvl 47 to 49 I think), but leveled a WHM without story quests to level 31 on one day, to 40 the next. ONE leveling dungeon roulette pushed him from 37 to 40. He isn't even on a preferred server.
As someone that plays the game since beta (not continously subbed, but 2 months/year) this seems unreal, though I have no reason to doubt my friend. Seems FFXIV team wants to drag everyone to the newer content pretty fast.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
My friend started this 2 weeks ago. The catchup mechanics are real for the old (at least ARR) content. Not only has he facerolled the 2.0 campaign as a tank with 2 wipes and seemingly no grind (except lvl 47 to 49 I think), but leveled a WHM without story quests to level 31 on one day, to 40 the next. ONE leveling dungeon roulette pushed him from 37 to 40. He isn't even on a preferred server.
As someone that plays the game since beta (not continously subbed, but 2 months/year) this seems unreal, though I have no reason to doubt my friend. Seems FFXIV team wants to drag everyone to the newer content pretty fast.
1-50 is super, super fast yeah. Then it slows down considerably as soon as you hit 51.

As a healer not having any dungeon queues at all, 1-31 in a day seems very doable. Palace of the Dead until you can do Sastasha and then just run highest level dungeons.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
It's effing terrific. Let me put it to you this way -- I never had any remote interest in trying an MMO and I gritted my teeth through two years of ResetEra telling me to make an exception. I started cringing at how frequently FFXIV fans would drive into topics on other FFs and recommend it to people.

Now I get it, and I'm doing the same damn thing to folks. I'm only on Heavensward and I've already fallen head over heels for this game's cast and especially its world.