• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
I started with FF XIV 2 months ago and I have to say it's already better than XIII or XV.
Im at lv 49 in the story, but as a black mage im at lv. 62, because there are so many things you can do outside of the story and it makes even more fun if you're playing with friends.
Can't wait to see if heavensward and the other addons are really that good, but so far it's promising.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Story scenarios? They don't require grouping and the story related dungeons shouldn't take more than 10-15 mins to queue for even as DPS.
Probably not today but this was last summer. Queues for over 53 minutes just for Heavensward content and sometimes longer. Just kinda got tired of waiting to progress. So I've just been waiting for 5.3 the entire time.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's played every ff besides 11 and 14, I too feel I've been missing out. I don't want to jump into a mmo that's been going on for years though. I feel like I missed the boat.
I recently worked through almost all content, somewhat slowly, over the course of six months. For better or for worse, you can get to current endgame content and be able to run it effectively with very little grinding. There's now no content I'm "unable" to do in the sense of anything except that I just need to get way better and have an amazing group.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not today but this was last summer. Queues for over 53 minutes just for Heavensward content and sometimes longer. Just kinda got tired of waiting to progress. So I've just been waiting for 5.3 the entire time.
If you are absolutely stuck, you can jump over to a tank or healer for the group content. Dark Knight and Astrologian you'd have to catch up about 20 levels. If you have a level 60 class and own Shadowbringers you can play Gunbreaker.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I recently worked through almost all content, somewhat slowly, over the course of six months. For better or for worse, you can get to current endgame content and be able to run it effectively with very little grinding. There's now no content I'm "unable" to do in the sense of anything except that I just need to get way better and have an amazing group.
That is awesome :)
From what I'm reading the community is thriving so I'm not even worried about finding groups if need be. I may pick this up after I'm done with ff7 haha. Could be my summer game.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game, I've been playing for three-ish months now.

A Realm Reborn is the opening 40-50 hours of the game and the weakest part. It's not BAD, it's just slow and plodding and the voice acting isn't great.

Heavensward is exciting and sad and has a very classical Final Fantasy story. At this point NPCs in the story become extremely endearing and relatable. The voice cast is largely replaced, as well, and it's 50x better.

Stormblood has a very grounded story with cool new locales and intensely evil, vile villains. You as the player character are a little less "important" in this story, but it really comes together at the end.

I'm about halfway through Shadowbringers and it's fantastic.

The MMO aspects are great, too. I joined a free company (guild) and they're really helpful. Find a nice group and make friends, it will help with the MMO parts of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a bit. XIV is great, but the base game and intro, ARR felt like one massive chore imo. I can't fathom what the pre-reboot version was like given that people say ARR "fixed" and saved the game...

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
With the tepid reception of FFVII Remake so far, I've been thinking how much I missed this series and how off the rails it got after Nomura started working on it.

Yet, I always hear that FFXIV is considered of the best Final Fantasy entries in a long time. My only issue is that I'm not an MMO person. I've tried a few, but just get bored at the mission and quest structure.

With the quarantines not ending anytime soon, I'm considering it, but I hear the beginning is rough. Any advice on jumping in?

Also, I'd be playing with that basic PS4, no Pro or PC that is capable.

As a "not MMO guy" myself, I would definitely recommend XIV. Tons of class/job options, great dungeons, and holy crap, shit goes DOWN in the story.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It's a Final Fantasy themed MMO vaguely in the gameplay style of World of Warcraft. It's a good MMO, but it's not really a Final Fantasy experience except in name only.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
also, & this can't be emphasized enough, the ffxiv community is friggin' awesome! incredibly friendly & helpful. co-oping on dungeons is a blast! (& i 'm speaking as a primarily single-player gamer)...
I cannot stress how much this made me love the game. Coming from WoW, where I got a lot of "fucking tank, pls disinstall" early in the game, this has been a godsend, 9 users out of 10 are incredibly friendly and kind. It will always warm my heart thinking about how these two players carried me through a series of ARR dungeons unfamous for being 40 minutes long because of unskippable cutscenes.

I've forced myself to stop a few months ago mid through Stormblood because it was distracting me from other stuff in my life but I'll be back as soon as I get and finish FFVIIR, also I kinda miss my FC now that I think of it

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. FFXIV is a great MMO filled with a lot of great content. But I think people should really pay attention to TC's...
My only issue is that I'm not an MMO person. I've tried a few, but just get bored at the mission and quest structure.

FFXIV's main scenario is filled with tons of fetch-quests with many little narratives that you won't care about. Like at all. And a lot of its greatest content is locked behind it. Not to mention, it's long as crap. I'm only saying this because no one told me this before I played and I was sorely disappointed.

Last edited:

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot stress how much this made me love the game. Coming from WoW, where I got a lot of "fucking tank, pls disinstall" early in the game, this has been a godsend, 9 users out of 10 are incredibly friendly and kind. It will always warm my heart thinking about how these two players carried me through a series of ARR dungeons unfamous for being 40 minutes long because of unskippable cutscenes.

I've forced myself to stop a few months ago mid through Stormblood because it was distracting me from other stuff in my life but I'll be back as soon as I get and finish FFVIIR, also I kinda miss my FC now that I think of it
Yup. The community is extremely supportive and friendly in a way that elevates the game.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I can definitely echo the sentiments about ARR and the desire to wait for 5.3 to make it more palatable, but if you aren't doing anything else it's not that bad and there's several redeeming things. Also agree about controller support being good (though a few class mechanics like AST cards or SCH fairy positioning can be somewhat annoying, there's ways to make it work) .

Shadowbringers is legit amazing, also tut tut at the people skipping the story, it's easily FF's finest in terms of production value and music, and the gameplay is pretty fun too.

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah been playing FF since FF1 on the NES and FF14 is easily the best one.

Just jump in, you can more or less play it like a single player game. Though as a new player, joining a great free company will dramatically increase your enjoyment of this game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
When is the beginning slog patch slated to release? Complete edition is on sale right now. Should I just buy it now and wait for the patch?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
When is the beginning slog patch slated to release? Complete edition is on sale right now. Should I just buy it now and wait for the patch?

Based on their 3.5 month schedule, it would have typically been late may early june based on the past. They haven't done a full on producer live letter since the outbreak so we don't know how it's effected development but assume summer.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'd love to play this game but something about paying for monthly subscriptions for a game doesn't sit well with me hence why I've not tried it. There are no subscriptions to elder Scrolls online. If FF 14 ever goes free to play (outside of buying the game at the start) I'll give it a go

If you consider that FFXI still requires a sub to play despite its age, you will probably wait forever until XIV goes F2P.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
If you're confident you can get through ~100 hours of the game in the next 2 months, wait a little bit. The part that's being changed is the long stretch of quests in between ARR and Heavensward, but you still have to get through all of base ARR (Level 1 to 50) to even get to that part.

I mean you should definitely buy it now because it's one sale, but maybe wait a few weeks to actually start it or just pace yourself with the timing of the upcoming patch appropriately. Getting to Level 50 isn't a matter of days, though, it takes a while.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Wait a bit. XIV is great, but the base game and intro, ARR felt like one massive chore imo. I can't fathom what the pre-reboot version was like given that people say ARR "fixed" and saved the game...
The black shroud looked like this:

z7mBEKF.jpg

Also it did not have quest markers.

Lafiel

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've being playing it since August last year and have only just reached Shadowbringers.

It's a brilliant game, I highly recommend it, but it's probably best to wait till 5.3 I reckon where they're likely to trim ARR.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
There is still some of the MMO tedium, but unlike, say, WoW, you can play the game and basically do only the main story quest (which is a real FF story with lots of cutscenes, great plot twists, etc). Almost all of the regular "filler" WoW-style sidequests are optional.
But if you don't have much patience for "MMO-style" quests then definitely wait for the ARR streamlining patch, as people are suggesting. Because the ARR main story quest (especially the earlier levels) has SO many more annoying fetch quests and "filler" quests directly in it than any of the expansions by far.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
This game has saved my sanity during the quarantine. What little of it that remains anyway.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For better or for worse, this game is designed with the idea that most people are going to be re-subbing when new content drops, finishing it within a week, doing dailies and weeklies for maybe another week until their interest wanes, and then dropping their sub until the next content patch comes out.

It really isn't a massive time/money sink unless you want it to be. An hour/hour and a half a day is more than enough to make decent progress.

Witness the greatness of 1.0 Black Shroud in its full glory:

U5LViQY.jpg

(the entire West Shroud got excised during 1.x-2.0 transition, outside of like a single PvP map)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait for 5.3 where they trim down ARR to make it less of a chore. As it is it would leavea bad first impression unless the world really grips you (which it might not for the first 30 levels as is) Controller support is fantastic and honestly preferable in a lot of ways. Just be sure to connect a keyboard for chatting.

Oct 25, 2017
For better or for worse, this game is designed with the idea that most people are going to be re-subbing when new content drops, finishing it within a week, doing dailies and weeklies for maybe another week until their interest wanes, and then dropping their sub until the next content patch comes out.

It really isn't a massive time/money sink unless you want it to be. An hour/hour and a half a day is more than enough to make decent progress.

U5LViQY.jpg

(the entire West Shroud got excised during 1.x-2.0 transition, outside of like a single PvP map)

Ngl, I'd love an optional (opt in and out anytime) legacy mode/server that I can play through just to gawk and see 1st hand how much it changed.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I was in the same position, not really an MMO fan but my friends were clamoring over it. So one of them paid the sub for me and got me into it. It's definitely the most tolerable MMO I've ever played, but it also has typical MMO problems (waiting for people to do quests that require a full team, town areas where there are just people all over the place, etc.). Having said that, while it was definitely the best MMO experience I've had so far in my life, I'm still not sold on MMOs and we didn't make it through the entirety of Realm Reborn before starting other games and letting the sub lapse.

EDIT: Oh, as for control scheme, the controller is fine for the start of the game but you'll want mouse and keyboard eventually. There just isn't enough buttons on a controller. Oh, and I started with controller then moved to mouse and keyboard and it sucked having to get used to it when already at places where the game gets more challenging so it's best to just start with mouse and keyboard.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the quarantines not ending anytime soon, I'm considering it, but I hear the beginning is rough. Any advice on jumping in?

Also, I'd be playing with that basic PS4, no Pro or PC that is capable.

***To start off I'm going to say that I hate MMOs and I am not a fan of playing online with people I haven't met in person.

I played the game all the way up to the end of Shadowbringers and its initial endgame. I started playing the game when Shadowbringers was released and I took my time.

The initial start of the game is slow and there's some horrible voice acting but the story is great and VERY in-depth. The length and the slowness of A Realm Reborn is supposed to be rectified soon. But I actually enjoyed the quests and the stories. I didn't have long queue times due to them having set a system in place that gave people incentives to do lower level instances. I never waited long during prime time in my region.

I rarely conversed with people in the game. It's very easy and there are some really great guides on what to do against bosses so that you don't go in blind. You do have to join parties for most dungeons/raids, but the game is super easy. You don't even have to join any sort of guild or anything like that to be able to complete the story quests. The only time I had to talk to people is when I did end game hard mode dungeons with pick up groups. They are a little too intricate to just go in blind. They have done well implementing NPCs to accompany you in the newer dungeons so that you don't have to have a group comprised of actual real players.

I never had a feeling of FOMO or wanting to try and get stupid ridiculous gear. I never had a feeling of rushing through anything. I was there for the story and I made sure not to get enthralled by the typical MMO gimmicks to try and retain players. But at the same time FFXIV isn't really too bad about it.

Back to the story. Once you get out of ARR content and into Heavensward is when the story turns into something amazing. I actually enjoyed ARR and it laid a fantastic foundation for the journey ahead. There are also some very well written and HILARIOUSLY FUNNY sidequests that you shouldn't skip out on. There are also some super easy older raids that you can just power through that gives you some story that becomes pertinent later on so don't skip out on raids. The older ones are brain dead easy since everyone is so overpowered. Even in those you don't have to even type in chat. Just follow the crowd. BUT if you are a social person, unlike myself, almost everyone in the game is weirdly super nice. I don't know why. It's like the least toxic gaming community I've ever experienced.

Anyway. For me... FFXIV's story was the most emotional I've experienced out of all the games. While the game is kind of on the easier side, the boss fights are a site to behold. And harder versions of boss fights are even more of a spectacle. The music is my favorite, the lore is amazing, the writing and direction are intelligent, and the biggest thing to me is that I became vested with all the characters in the story. I had genuine care about the outcome of certain cast members. To the point where I got choked up. Even the villains are well done and not one dimensional... There's just so much.

Another amazing part of the game is the way they handle the story makes you the main character. For me it was like I was playing a single player RPG that was pack full of lore, story, character development, and exploring.

*** Also, if you decide to start before they rework ARR, don't skip the story. Everything ties in together and references are made later on all the way up to the new expansion.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What about after that expansion? Any tedium in the next ones? Or do I have to wait for more updates?
Heavensward is what comes after that and it's absolutely amazing. Storm blood is good too but its overshadowed by Heavensward and especially Shadowbringers.

Best in mind that it's still an MMO so a bit of fetch quests here and bit of dragging on there is normal. It's just that the base game is absolutely awful in his area and it actually used to be much worse pre ARR.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019

U5LViQY.jpg

Ahh the good ole days when I only visited this hell for one reason... if people think it looks bad from above, you should watch videos of people trying to navigate it.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Ffxiv is very forgiving for newcomers. If you have friends who play they will be thrilled that you are joining them and you'll still be able to play with them frequently despite the progress gap.

Unlike most people, I don't suggest you speed through the vanilla content. Savor it. Poke around. Enjoy the world building. Treat it like any other final fantasy game and you will be rewarded

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's a stupid thing to say, the game is an MMO and to declare it the best Final Fantasy will mislead those who are expecting a similar experience.

Is it a great game? Definitely! Will you like it if you don't like MMOs? Probably not.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I put a good 10 hours into it and the entire time just went from point a to point b and then back again. I had a horrific realization when I was thinking "Dang when do you get to the REAL quests?" and then I realized these were the real quests.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was curious about this. Why was XI praised so heavily while base XIV trashed then if XIV iterated on what made XI "work"?

The simplest answer is that they released to very different markets.

FFXI came out in 2002. Its contemporaries were the likes of Ultima Online and Everquest, and a lot of its game design is absolutely rooted in that era of MMO. FFXIV, on the other hand, came out in 2010, well after World of Warcraft happened and changed the genre forever. What would have been accepted as part of the territory back in 2002 would be unacceptable come 2010, naturally.

(And even then, as someone who played Way Too Much FFXI, I always say that what ultimately kept me there were the people I played it with, rather than the game itself.)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I was curious about this. Why was XI praised so heavily while base XIV trashed then if XIV iterated on what made XI "work"?
WOW came out since then. FFXI was thrashed at the start but it managed to become its own thing through patches, and it was a great, community-building experience despite the difficulty.

Also FFXIV was trash even if WOW didn't come out. Every interaction with the UI had to be confirmed server-side. *Every* interaction.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I got burnt out in the early parts of Heavensward last year, reading this thread makes me want to hop back in. It really does have the best and friendliest community out of any game I've ever played, and I'm one who usually avoids online interactions with people I don't know. And sometimes even when I do know them. LOL

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Different times, different expectations. Almost 10 years separates XI from XIV and the genre evolved a lot (WOW changed the landscape of MMO standards). And somehow, in some ways XIV released even in a worse state than XI which I think came out with an expansion in the west, more than 1 year after Japanese release, which helped to be perceived as a more 'complete' game than XIV 1.0 was in the west.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
I checked around, and it seems like when you buy the game your 30 days starts immediately. So with the sale on the Complete Edition ending at the end of April and the reworked main story not coming until June/July, I guess I need to decide if I wanna just in now and save $25 or wait for later in summer and spend more.