• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Terrible movie. I liked Begins, thought the Joker one was alright, but Bruce had too many stupid gadgets and abilities for the dark and gritty batman they were trying to sell you. Which is it, real batman or a goofy cartoon?

Anyway, Rises was just horrible.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I think it's less of the plot holes since they never bothered me during my watch of the film but rather it's just sctructrually kinda strange and jumbled. So much happens and I don't recall it ever slowing down to let anything breathe.

Jan 10, 2018
You forgot the police running down a narrow street, right into open fire to start fisticuffs.

I can forgive everything about the movie except for how the police is handled. That shit is mindnumbing.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mind the ra's al ghul revelation,from my very limited knowledge i think he is immortal iirc but i guess Nolan tried to tackle that in less silly way,like i dunno..secret assassin memory implants or something.
Obviously Nolan could've removed the scene and let bruce learn this partial truth by other means.
I could debate that the leap of faith was more about despair than fear of death,i mean the other prisoners were using a rope so they were scared of dying too haha.
The only 2 dumb things that i really stood out during my first watch was the plan of waiting for the reactor core to explode and how bruce managed to return to gotham.
The 'angry orphan eyes' part got me lol,so true.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I still enjoy it. Hardy's Bane was great (until he wasn't) and the set pieces are awesome. Definitely the weakest movie of the trilogy (and probably Nolan's whole filmography), but I can still get some enjoyment out of it

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
After the high highs of Begins and TDK, I walked out of the cinema absolutely dumbfounded by how absolutely across the board shit TDKR was. The Spider-Man 3 Curse felt as fuckin' real as day.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You forgot the police running down a narrow street, right into open fire to start fisticuffs.

I can forgive everything about the movie except for how the police is handled. That shit is mindnumbing.

This was the worst, like one cop couldnt go "just walk down the street? Shouldn't we, I dunno, flank em or something?!?" Cap would have been mobilizing those guys, Bats is like, there you go, youre welcome."

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The movie still isn't great but I kinda started giving less of a shit about plot holes in general at least compared to before

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
How do you shoot that Talia death and think that it is ok? If there are multiple takes of this scene it blows my mind that that is the best one to include in the film. Just think about this for a minute.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Not too much, honestly. The movie kept me engaged and interested in what was going on, which is more important in the moment than whether the plot falls apart on deeper analysis. The editing and compositions do a good job of selling visual continuity through scenes even when logical continuity starts to fail, and the pacing is good enough that it doesn't linger too long at the points where the plot is going off the rails to allow for in-the-moment examination.

That's how writing tends to go: you don't notice what's wrong with it as long as everything is working in a holistic sense. It's mostly when your editing becomes herky-jerky and the viewer's left blinking and wondering what happened--or when the pacing is either so glacial that the audience has time to overthink a scene's finer points or doesn't get time to really understand what's happening at all--that the flaws in a story truly become painfully apparent.

That said, it is weaker in all of these aspects than the previous movie, which also has some real logical inadequacies in the story but covers them expertly with the film-making.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the time plot holes are Internet nerds nitpicking after the fact because reasons but fuck me, Rises was monumentally stupid in the moment to such an extent it was impossible for me to derive any enjoyment from it. Its not even plot holes, it's just a staggering lack of anything resembling basic logic or common sense.

What a shitty fucking movie.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
One of the worst was putting a little of Dr. Pavel's blood in a corpse to fake his death. Yeah, I'm sure that would have worked in a charred corpse that crashed to the ground.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
I liked it when I first saw it, but the more I watch it, the more I like it less.

The time skips never feel as long as they say, and I hated how they basically put Gordon and Alfred on the sidelines. Also, the whole sacrificing himself to cover up for Harvey just kinda...fizzled out.

It definitely felt like Nolan's heart wasn't in it after Ledger died, but the execs basically forced him to make a final movie to wrap up the trilogy.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A million cops getting caught under the sewers is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in a movie.
How do you write that and actually put it in your movie?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's our fault.

Our absolute unabashed love affair with the Dark Knight's propulsive direction gave way for a film that valued these 'emotional' action beats over logic.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I don't think there are any obvious plot holes in the film, it's just terrible writing and strange choices. Many that go against the character. From behind the scenes footage to the film itself, you can tell Nolan wasn't completely into making it.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I mind, it's why I don't watch the movie, it really doesn't make any sense on very fundamental levels.

My suspension of disbelief was tested so many times within the first half hour, and it only got worse and worse

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
How do you shoot that Talia death and think that it is ok? If there are multiple takes of this scene it blows my mind that that is the best one to include in the film. Just think about this for a minute.

Like I said, Nolan really didn't care enough and you can tell in the final product. I'm so tired of people throwing around the words "plot hole". No, it's just terribly written and executed for a multitude of reasons.

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not plot holes. It's bad writing that killed the movie.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even consider them plot holes. There's a ton of subtext and symbolism in the movie. I was way more into what the movie was attempting to say on a sub-narrative level than what was actually happening on screen.

For instance, at one point Batman lights up a bat symbol that he couldn't possibly have made himself. It doesn't matter that it was impossible. It was symbolic of the hope that he inspired in people. Similarly, the cops being trapped underground was allegory for the working "blue" collar class being trapped beneath the weight of Gotham's upper crust decadence.

The movie is filled to the brim with that kind of stuff and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Do you know where I could find some info on it by any chance? Googleing it now, just curious if theres a good source of info somewhere I may not find.
I believe it was here:
While speaking to Premiere magazine before the theatrical release of Batman Begins, Goyer reportedly opened up about the potential storyline Nolan was eyeing for a full trilogy of Batman films. Turns out the Joker did play a large part — and it sounds like parts 2-3 were essentially (originally) conceived almost as a two-parter:
"The next one would have Batman enlisting the aid of Gordon and [Harvey] Dent in bringing down the Joker…but not killing him, which is a mistake they made in the first one … n the third, the Joker would go on trial, scarring Dent in the process."
I guess they meshed the 2 scripts into one and just cut the courtroom proceedings.
So, really, at least after dark knight, 3 would NOT have been the court stuff had ledger been alive, at least not as written. Because they already used it. Good to correct myself I suppose so I dont keep spreading that misinformation forever.

Full article:

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-Bane does a bunch of illegal trades under Bruce Wayne's name which causes Bruce Wayne to lose all of his money even though the trades were so obviously illegal that they were doing a terror attack in broad daylight to do the trades.
Fraud happens regularly and they do address that it'll take time to unpick. Thanks Wall Street - an analogue for the financial crisis.

-Gordon sends 100k+ cops into the sewers, they never try leaving through a manhole but survive pretty well in the sewers for 6 months.

Weren't they told they'd be killed if they try to escape

-The prison is only escapable by having a good horizontal leap which apparently only a 9 year old had because she was the only person in the prison who feared death.

Like going on rollercoasters kids have no fear of anything. The older you get the slower you are and the more doubt and fear you have

-Batman's back is healed by it getting punched.
CLICK. Punched back into place

-All of the Clean Slate stuff.
Ehhh. Bit convenient I'll agree

-Robin finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman because Bruce Wayne has angry orphan eyes.
He's just a really good detective. He's speaking to an aspect of his character not literally his eyes. It's the look, and how he carries himself.

-Batman learns a massive amount of information in a dream.
Dumb

-No one recognizes Bruce Wayne after his reported death even though he looks the same as he looked in The Dark Knight.
People don't care about Bruce Wayne abroad? Just another rich white guy

At no point in this movie does anything really make any sense and everyone has pointed it at this point. The question is, how much do you care?
No, had fun with it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between CinemaSins nitpicking and the filmmakers just not giving a fuck and allowed gaping mistakes into their work.

DKR is the latter.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
You're forgetting about how quickly Wayne gets back to Gotham after escaping the desert prison, along with how he managed to find transportation to begin with.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The so called plot holes are only a symptom of bad writing and poor structure. It's just not a great movie no matter how you cut it.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think TDKR is the worst in the the trilogy, but I'm going to take this opportunity to bag on Batman Begins, because the whole idea of the League of Shadows being largely responsible for Gotham's problems is stupid to me, and on top of that, they're apparently responsible for the fall of Rome.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Begins and Dark Knight are perfectly fine as a duology. I don't need Rises.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the old site you had a 'TDKR is shit'- thread every week....is there some sort of revival of that tradition going on now on Era?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The plot holes make some of it feel rushed in places and some of the movie is pretty boring. Having an injured and depressed Batman doesn't make for an exciting Batman movie.

I liked it still but didn't love it like some did, it's no TDK. It's my least favourite of the trilogy.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it was here:

I guess they meshed the 2 scripts into one and just cut the courtroom proceedings.
So, really, at least after dark knight, 3 would NOT have been the court stuff had ledger been alive, at least not as written. Because they already used it. Good to correct myself I suppose so I dont keep spreading that misinformation forever.

Full article:
Thanks for doing this. I also found some similar info. So it sounds like Nolan really didnt expect to do another Batman film, so they didnt really do much prep work inbetween each movie. I was hoping that there was this grand plan for TDKR that had to be scrapped. Oh well, even for all its faults I still love TDKR. Yeah I can see why people dont like it as much, but its nowhere near the worst of the Batman films imo.

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Love this film. Loved it in the cinema and have watched it several times since. Lots of cool one liners, some excellent set pieces, it was a great film and the batman trilogy is streets above any of the marvel films.