• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it a quantifiable subculture?
Hipster entrepreneurs?

10 years ago it was beards + lumberjack shirts

now it's graphic tees and weirdly small beanies

point is, I can confirm this americanised startup hype brand hustle culture is very similar in the UK except with a focus on being 'down to earth'; whatever that means.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Want to know what's even more agrevating?

Often they offer a service that is LESS usable and has less features? But just has a fancy name, and due to that everybody starts to use it XD and even pays for it. While the other service was opensource, free and far safer in use too :P.

And they all do it! Like said, they are all .. exactly the same :P.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a quantifiable subculture?
Hipster entrepreneurs?

10 years ago it was beards + lumberjack shirts

now it's graphic tees and weirdly small beanies

point is, I can confirm this americanised startup hype brand hustle culture is very similar in the UK except with a focus on being 'down to earth'; whatever that means.

fuck those beanies

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
it always looks like they're about to pop off like those weird toys from childhood
s-l400.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Local favorites like Soulcycle killed me

i'm laughing at all the hipster shit and similarities, but honestly some of these places looks legit fun as a workplace

That's the whole MO of these companies; Build a place that looks fun so you spend more time there. The open office collaboration here's a ping pong table thing is such horseshit.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The perception of the startup is more important than the product they sell. So they all ride the same trends, use the same general abstract description of what their work will do, all to get that sweet sweet VC money. Who cares about delivering a product? Just get that funding, run it for a month or two, then sell it to another sucker.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
i'm laughing at all the hipster shit and similarities, but honestly some of these places looks legit fun as a workplace

Memes aside, youthful workplaces really do have a special kind of energy to them. Older places can be a bit stodgy in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
The perception of the startup is more important than the product they sell. So they all ride the same trends, use the same general abstract description of what their work will do, all to get that sweet sweet VC money. Who cares about delivering a product? Just get that funding, run it for a month or two, then sell it to another sucker.

Even better, become a SaaS company with a mediocre at best product and leech tons of money from SMB's

I swear to god so many SaaS companies exist solely with this model in mind. "Pay us 35,000 a year to use our shitty plug in for Atlassian tools"

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Create" something new, sucker investors, break the law as much as you can get away with, balloon the value until the bubble pops, and golden parachute away while everyone else suffers. The American dream.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
In Scotland's tech scene at least it's a well known red flag for job ads to avoid if:
- They don't say the pay range in it
- They mention having a "fun culture"
- They mention table tennis

Generally "we have a fun culture" is code for "we don't pay well."

Eh, this isn't completely true. I mean, you're completely right on the courting VC money bit. But it's really hard to sell your business to a potential buyer if you haven't delivered a product and that is often the end goal for startups (at least, well run ones). Generally you need to either have created a product or at least have some interesting hook that you can prove works before anyone will be interested in buying you up.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
Baaaa Ha ha! That video was amazing. We're in downtown Toronto — not quite Silicon Valley, but when my wife and I go to cafes (at least we did, before...) we always laugh when overhearing tech-bro meetings. We joke that we either hear about "sales" or "kale" — but the conversations sound exactly the same.

The current North American tech-bro culture is almost exactly like the late-90s dot-com bubble. If you read some articles in Wired or other tech magazines from that time, you'll be shocked at the similarities.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
I once worked with a start up for a couple of weeks. Cool in theory but once I was in there I saw they were just interested in working 24/7 to sell their souls for money with the goal being, ultimately, to grow into a mega corporation. No thanks!

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
My American/Dutch startup is way cooler than any of these. We are all about sustainable automation and building hardware for labs performing cell culture. So we build software, but not as a stand alone product. Very different mentality over here in Europe centered around making products with a positive societal impact first and then figuring out how to make that profitable after you've made something that empowers workers, not just the shareholders.

Deleted member 69771

All it's missing is the "optional" crunch (they'll say it's optional, but you know damn well it isn't)
during my last job's training period we were running late with an assignment because it was way too difficult and long for the time period we were given, some of use still managed though but for everyone else the lead basically came in and said "i'm not gonna tell you to stay, but you do realize you haven't finished your assignment?" and for the next 2-3 weeks everyone was there from 9am to 10pm.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yo dawg, grab here quick meeting here in this walkway.

All these open floor plans and quick area's for "collaboration" and quick meetings are depend on how noicey that floor is and how many people are on the phone at the same time. It also means everyone could just walk up to you when you're working on something and trying to concentrate.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

Often they offer a service that is LESS usable and has less features? But just has a fancy name, and due to that everybody starts to use it XD and even pays for it. While the other service was opensource, free and far safer in use too :P.

To be fair, this has been the technology / software business since the 1980s.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Hardly any ads show that at all
Bare minimum they usually have a range or say "competitive" salary. If they don't mention it at all, it's because they aint gonna pay you what you're worth.

Not every startup does this. I work for a very successful startup in London and most people get in at 10am and leave at 6pm. I'm happy with the work life balance.
Having no crunch, flexible work hours and WFH options have kinda become the new thing better startups push as people have caught on to what they mean when they talk about having a "fun" workplace.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
Bare minimum they usually have a range or say "competitive" salary. If they don't mention it at all, it's because they aint gonna pay you what you're worth.

That's not been my experience, to be honest. I've spoken to some companies who say 'competitive' and are paying way below market and others who don't mention salary but pay quite a bit above market.

Tip - when companies ask you what you're earning or what you're looking for salary wise, turn it back on them and ask them what the salary range is for the job. I've found it's a good tactic to avoid them screwing you (and if they don't give an answer then walk away).

Having no crunch, flexible work hours and WFH options have kinda become the new thing better startups push as people have caught on to what they mean when they talk about having a "fun" workplace.

It's the only way to attract senior folks too as they usually have families and responsibilities outside of the office.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's not been my experience, to be honest. I've spoken to some companies who say 'competitive' and are paying way below market and others who don't mention salary but pay quite a bit above market.

Tip - when companies ask you what you're earning or what you're looking for salary wise, turn it back on them and ask them what the salary range is for the job. I've found it's a good tactic to avoid them screwing you (and if they don't give an answer then walk away).

Yeah, that or just aiming high with the amount you ask for. I think a lot of people are afraid to do that but all these jobs have a max they're looking to pay someone in the position you're going for and generally (depending on the industry of course) they aren't going to just discount you entirely if you ask for more than that. They'll just counter you with what they're looking to pay you. One time a guy haggled me up from what I said I wanted which was probably the weirdest interview I've ever been in. They really needed mobile devs though lol

It's the only way to attract senior folks too as they usually have families and responsibilities outside of the office.
Yeah, it's similar to why big businesses like banks and such tend to have such good pensions schemes.

Ivol

Dec 12, 2017

*sigh* I paid for Luminary for like 6 months. Sorry.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked at a few places that have those kinds of perks, IMHO they're just a massive distraction. I bet use of all those perks is on your own time, they just want to keep you at your place of work longer.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent about the last 10 years working at start ups and only recently moving to an established company. I honestly really enjoyed it. It's always been a really fun environment and I have made a lot of close friends from it.

There was never a focus on making sure you were at your desk from 9-5. If you got your work done they didn't care at all. There was only a handful of situations I worked more than 40 hours.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda want to try working in a similar environment tbh...

But I'm afraid that'll ask to commit to much to the work.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've worked there.
It's kind of fun, but there's a ridicolous amount of drama that a generally-attractive pack of 20somethings that stay together all day can generate.

I remember a guy pretty much quitting over a girl turning him down.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, this has been the technology / software business since the 1980s.
True but lately it has gotten worse, far worse.

In the early 80 - before I was even born :(, really I wish I could have seen it- it was a lot more amateurish in a good way. While Steve Jobs might have been an ass, his partner Wozniak was fully immersed in this scene. People would just come together and try things give each other tips, as that kind of is what us engineers/scientists do, we love our job and we love sharing it. The "Tech bro" shit didn't happen until later, when some people found out you can make a lot of money out of it, heck in earlier times Math and Computer science (to name two things) were big amongst women (even women of color). This is due to the human computers and later NASA were these "computers" ended up working. It is thus an insult to anybody with an understanding about the history of engineering to hear :"Women aren't as good as men in STEM Fields.". It's laughable, they invented like most of it and had their credit stolen!

Steve Jobs was one of the first hints of this kind of behavior, were he spied on other teams, copied what he saw.. was a jerk to engineers working for him (I don't mean after he came back to Apple this was before he left), not even allowing them to quit or paying them well (even abusive at times)... I mean.. it's a very interesting time to read up on.. the late 70's early 80's. Like you mention (since the 80s)... as that is about when the chance happened, but it it was a very interesting time and dynamic and you kind of see what kind of monster it has become today.

For instance Hippies that worked at Atari and later Activision... who made strange "quirky far out games". ONly for some to "sell out" and start driving Porsche's. Activision back then was a very different company than it is now.. but you could already see where it was headed then. From a company trying to get out and away from control and get its own creative control back.. to... well. the monster that is Activision Blizzard today.

Sorry for my rant heh.