• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn, I wish I checked the microcenter discord sooner. stores got stock, but it takes me half an hour to drive there

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
You know, I'm finally going to be able to build a totally new pc early next year. This shortage junk just figues it's looking like I may just have to go with a Ryzen 3800 as much as I'd like a 5800. Beats my 4790k, anyway.

And I'll keep rocking my GTX 1080 until by some miracle I find a RTX 3080. One day.

Sigh.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm lucky I have a family connection at NewEgg so we can get whatever we want. My dad was able to pick up an Ryzen 9 5900X and a 3080 with no issues.

Dude still can't get PS5s though.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I upgraded earlier in the year to a Ryzen 3600. If I wasn't on top of following potential availability for a CPU/MB at launch, I would not have upgraded from my 2500k. Nabbing the 3080 was enough of a headache.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Depends, consoles will be a baseline for RT and therefore you will always have the option to just run RT on the same settings as those.
If you expect 5 year old GPUs to run new games at the highest settings, then you have some weird expectations anyway.
I dunno, unless they wait significantly longer for the mid gen refreshes, in not sure they'll be much more powerful than the 6800xts, and if that's the performance target, I'd expect thi these cards to hold up pretty well

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Glad I upgraded earlier in the year to a Ryzen 3600. If I wasn't on top of following potential availability for a CPU/MB at launch, I would not have upgraded from my 2500k. Nabbing the 3080 was enough of a headache.

Yeah, everybody I was asking about parts kept telling me to wait for October for AMD's events.

Glad I just opted for a 3600 and RX 5600 XT instead, because if I had gone with their advice I'd probably still be waiting for parts (and overpaying for others).

Last edited:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Price isn't the reason for the demand. Being stuck at home for so many is the real reason.

And how do you reduce demand? By raising the prices. If I was an nvidia/amd shareholder I would be pissed. They could be selling out of all stock and be making 50% - 100% more per card easily and end this stock circus.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
I ordered a dell msi gaming rtx 3080 when they , seemingly mistakenly, left the listing up for lots of hours despite lack of supply. It's still showing a shipping date of Jan 2nd? SHould I get my hopes up at all? lol

Nov 22, 2017
I was all hyped up to get a 3080 for Cuberpunk.. turns out the shortage was a good thing for me.
I'll wait for the game to get fixed and for the rumoured 3080ti to drop.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
And how do you reduce demand? By raising the prices. If I was an nvidia/amd shareholder I would be pissed. They could be selling out of all stock and be making 50% - 100% more per card easily and end this stock circus.
As someone who got both an RTX 3070 and a ryzen 5800X at MSRP...

uh... no? Why are you wishing for a price increase as a consumer? lol I don't give a singular shit about their shareholders

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Are Zotac cards any good?
I have a Zotac 3090 Trinity. It's great. Silent and the form factor is way way smaller than most 3090s and 3080s.
It isn't pulling quite the same numbers as a Strix but we're talking way smaller differences than you would get from having better RAM for your zen 3, for example.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Raising prices on a product post launch would be disastrous to their reputation. They would need to drop them down again at some point and that would anger the vendors and customers that bought at the inflated prices.

They could attempt to make more 3090s/6900XTs than other configurations if they wanted to increase their profit, but supply will eventually catch up to demand and they wouldn't have the right product mix. They would also have to tighten up production to get enough binned chips.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was literally just about to buy a Pulse 6800 for 1440p gaming and I stupidly checked some other websites quickly to determine potential stock. Was only side tracked for two minutes max and boom, gone. This stock level shit is so bad, why the hell did both graphics card manufacturers opt to paper release before knowing stock could be decent?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That will be out of stock too. It will never stop unless botting is dealt with.
Botting is just a side effect of supply and demand problem. If there was enough supply, there would be no botting. The real issue here is that PC hardware manufacturers are incompetent.
Prices already increased naturally. Market is flooded with 1300€ 3080s and 2400€ 3090s. No one wants them. So your theory is false. People are still waiting and hunting for close to original MSRP prices.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
I'm able to actually see 5600x and 5800x in stock sometimes so maybe on the CPU side its getting a tiny bit better. I've been putting money away for the past couple years to build a PC with 2020 hardware in mind but that got thrown out the window.

chespace

Hearthstone Esports Global Franchise Lead
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to score a Gigabyte 3080 but I had to buy a new NZXT system build.

Loving my new PC but it certainly wasn't cheap. :)

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah OP I settled on a Ryzen 7 3700x and a 1660 Ti and I'm actually happier than I would be after spending $1000 on a video card alone. I will wait for revisions of the 3080 etc. or maybe even longer I'm so pleased with my system.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Same ol' s*** it looks like. January and February will tell the same story, but I guess we shall see what March will bring.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely don't know. They had me do a whole bunch of stuff and nothing helped. I eventually re-installed Windows, and same issue. It doesn't even happen when I'm pushing it either---I can be watching a youtube video and it'll just blackscreen on me. I didn't build a brand new PC with this, so every other part I've already been using with no issue. The only new thing in it is the 3070.
This is an issue with the 3000 series. Happens to my 3080 as well. I disabled hardware acceleration on chrome and the black screen went away. Try that.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
5900x (Nov) and 3080 strix (oct) at MSRP give me a smile daily. Hardest part was Dark Hero oddly enough. The YouTube clowns telling people to wait and stock will get sorted look stupid now.

Amazon and NewEgg came through. Went with local shop for Dark Hero they failed and sent my order to wrong customer.

Was still able to snag one luckily before they sold out again in seconds.

This was long before price hikes. Newegg now is sad, looking from a distance. Stuff sells out instantly. Atleast had a full 60 seconds for the Strix to make order.

PS5 woke up on launch day and got one off PS direct. So much easier.

Last edited:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I was planning on a new build at the end of 2020. When I couldn't a GPU I told myself to just get the CPU now to begin the build. But I couldn't find a 5800x and I kinda gave up for a few months. I may start back looking again.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Do overclockers have a tendency to over promise stock?

Just bought a 6800 (obviously marked up) and it's still showing 10+ in stock. Thought they'd be flying out.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
This is an issue with the 3000 series. Happens to my 3080 as well. I disabled hardware acceleration on chrome and the black screen went away. Try that.
What issue is this, the screen turning black randomly?

If so, I had that issue myself on a Zotac 3070. It happened because I have two monitors plugged in (display port and HDMI). I had gsync turned on which seemed to cause it. I disabled it and it stopped happening. So might be something for people with multiple monitors to watch for

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
What issue is this, the screen turning black randomly?

If so, I had that issue myself on a Zotac 3070. It happened because I have two monitors plugged in (display port and HDMI). I had gsync turned on which seemed to cause it. I disabled it and it stopped happening. So might be something for people with multiple monitors to watch for
Yeah. It generally happens when watching Youtube videos for me. Nvidia claimed that they fixed the issue but it still there. I disabled Chrome hardware acceleration and the problem completely went away.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now getting into this weird place mentally where I wonder if I should just wait and go through this agony for a RTX 4xxx and an AMD 6xxx GPU/CPU. I know it will be the same experience, but I might as well do it over something that's a bigger upgrade for my 1080ti + 2700x. It's not like my current needs are completely unmet, it's really just Cyberpunk that it struggles with at 1440p.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Do overclockers have a tendency to over promise stock?

Just bought a 6800 (obviously marked up) and it's still showing 10+ in stock. Thought they'd be flying out.
Check their forums.

In the 3080 thread people are waiting for their cards ordered on launch day. And I mean hundreds of people.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

It's not the same with Ventus, Ventus have had no deliveries at all since before Christmas. I'm 4th in queue. Any movement you have had has been cancellations Early November iirc, since then one ok shipment would have seen me get the card. I want off mr bones wild ride.

Never order from them.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping I can snag a reference 3060ti for the $550cdn msrp in April before my kid is born and I'm yet again forever broke but man those things are gone in literal seconds.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I felt bad with getting a 3600 that would be used for only a few months before upgrading. I'm glad I'm getting some use out of it while waiting for a more stable supply of the 5900x.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
What I want to know is how many GPUs were produced? I'd seen an article where scalpers have sold some 53,000 cards, but in reality that ain't shit.

Where are the GPUs?? Nvidia wants to crank out fifty new skus while they can hardly put product on shelves, and AMD flat out sucks.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Check their forums.

In the 3080 thread people are waiting for their cards ordered on launch day. And I mean hundreds of people.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

It's not the same with Ventus, Ventus have had no deliveries at all since before Christmas. I'm 4th in queue. Any movement you have had has been cancellations Early November iirc, since then one ok shipment would have seen me get the card. I want off mr bones wild ride.

Never order from them.

welp.

Reading more into it OCUK seem to have the monopoly on 6800(xt) cards in the UK.

fingers crossed my card gets dispatched within 1-3 working days lol. £10 delivery ffs

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
It should not surprise that there is far less demand for $1500 cards, thus seemingly more available inventory.
I mean, I'm seeing more drops for 3090's. In the same space of time, (3060ti launch to now) I've seen one 3080 drop, and multiple 3070 drops. I know that the 3090 is more profitable for the partners, so it wouldn't shock me.