• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A disfigured 80 year old, yeah
So just pointing out, the actor was 77 when that scene was filmed. The rapid aging thing is just one of those PT missteps that we're supposed to just accept and not question. Sorta like Leia remembering Padme for....the like minute that they were together.
I'm aware of the age of the actor, but the point is that Anakin was severely disfigured so being nit-picky about what Vader looks like with his mask off is...really dumb. It's not actually that inconsistent unless you can't separate actor ages from character ages in sci-fi/fantasy films for some reason. You should be able to suspend your disbelief at least that much.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
main-qimg-a0da5512f78cdafd21df91369a487865

Non-canon.

Actual canon:

Star-Wars-Rise-Of-Skywalker-Anakin-Obi-Wan.jpg

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It also helped the "prophecy" make sense in the Prequels and OT, in that Darth Vader did indeed "bring balance to the force".
He was the one who led the charge against Jedis, eventually bringing down the number to two (Obi-Wan and Yoda) against two Sith Lords (Himself and the Emperor).
When Luke began his Jedi training, he did it again by killing Obi-Wan (again, leaving two Jedis and two Siths).
And again when Yoda died by killing the Emperor with his own hands (leaving one Jedi and one Sith).

Although perhaps involuntary, I always liked the idea this prophecy was not about reinforcing the strength of the Jedis, but rather literally about bringing back both sides of the force to the same level.

Lucas said that Darth Vader brought balance to the Force when he killed Darth Sidious and eliminated the Sith once and for all.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? No. Maul was never on their level.

Oh he was. Remember that Palpatine actually risked blowing his cover by personally travelling to Mandalore to take Maul out. He could've sent Dooku or even gotten Anakin to go there, but he didn't. He went there himself and even said Maul had become a rival.

The only explanation is that Palpatine knew Dooku would fail if he went there and rather than wait around for Maul and Savage to come for his head, he'd break them first. Even then, Maul somehow escaped imprisonment and went into hiding for decades. He's evidently more powerful and resourceful than we give him credit.

It's worth remembering Palpatine was becoming wary of Asajj too, yet he just ordered Dooku to kill her. That's what started the whole arc which ends with Grievous invading Dathomir and killing almost all the Nightsisters.

Palpatine isn't the type to get his hands dirty unless there's no alternative and him travelling to Mandalore to take care of Maul personally is, in my opinion, no different to him luring the best warriors in the Jedi Order - the ones that would easily survive Order 66 - to his office so he can kill them himself.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Worst special edition change.

Fitting that it would be the last one too.

It wasn't the last one actually. The new Disney once's have more changes to them.

That said, I vastly prefer that they changed it to Hayden. The other guy leaves people quite confused from what I've seen and it connects the OT and PT together.

Also Anakin's never looked like Sebastian Shaw.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't the last one actually. The new Disney once's have more changes to them.

That said, I vastly prefer that they changed it to Hayden. The other guy leaves people quite confused from what I've seen and it connects the OT and PT together.

Also Anakin's never looked like Sebastian Shaw.

Hayden is just as "confusing" if not more so.

And it's the other way around. Hayden looks nothing like Sebastian Shaw.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
By that logic, Lucas should replace Shaw with Hayden in this scene.

Hayden's too young still.

Anyways, it would be impossible as of this moment and Shaw's the better actor anyway plus Shaw is playing Anakin over two decades later after he's been disfigured, burned and hasn't seen sunlight since he was 23.

And I mean Darth Vader unlike Anakin doesn't work out so it makes sense that he became stockier.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The only one that is kinda floating around during the time of ANH that mattered and is kind of a loose thread is Ahsoka. I kinda hope they kinda address this at some point of how she was nowhere to be seen in the OT era suddenly.

Everyone else was written out in various ways or killed off by then.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh he was. Remember that Palpatine actually risked blowing his cover by personally travelling to Mandalore to take Maul out. He could've sent Dooku or even gotten Anakin to go there, but he didn't. He went there himself and even said Maul had become a rival.

The only explanation is that Palpatine knew Dooku would fail if he went there and rather than wait around for Maul and Savage to come for his head, he'd break them first. Even then, Maul somehow escaped imprisonment and went into hiding for decades. He's evidently more powerful and resourceful than we give him credit.

It's worth remembering Palpatine was becoming wary of Asajj too, yet he just ordered Dooku to kill her. That's what started the whole arc which ends with Grievous invading Dathomir and killing almost all the Nightsisters.

Palpatine isn't the type to get his hands dirty unless there's no alternative and him travelling to Mandalore to take care of Maul personally is, in my opinion, no different to him luring the best warriors in the Jedi Order - the ones that would easily survive Order 66 - to his office so he can kill them himself.
I don't see it. Prior to this, Maul and Savage together lost in a straight fight with Obi-wan. I have no doubt at all that Dooku could have gotten the job done.

Personally, I think Sheev took care of it personally because he wanted to show Maul how far he is from Sheev's level. That's why he puts in nearly no effort when handing those two their asses--so Maul can see he's no rival at all.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only one that is kinda floating around during the time of ANH that mattered and is kind of a loose thread is Ahsoka. I kinda hope they kinda address this at some point of how she was nowhere to be seen in the OT era suddenly.

Everyone else was written out in various ways or killed off by then.

We're definitely supposed to wonder what Ahsoka was up to, given that she shows up at the end of Rebels dressed like Gandalf the White and acting all mysterious. She was definitely doing something interesting and we will probably learn about it in the near future.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the survivors struggled to beat inquisitors who are by design, jobbers compared to the overwhelming force that is Vader let alone the emperor....

Vader is "enemy has 💀" over their head territory.

Canonically Anakin kills Shaak Ti while she is seemingly unaware of what's happening in the jedi temple.

Poor Shaak Ti got killed so many times by multiple different people in both the EU and Deleted scenes it's almost pathologically weird.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't it lessen the impact of Luke and his role In ROTJ? If it turns out he and Leia weren't the last Jedi left, the stakes weren't that high after all and had he failed during his confrontation with the Emperor, it seems.many others could have pursued a renewed attempt.

I don't think so. Nobody else could have gotten close to Vader and taken him out. Nobody else could have done what Luke did because nobody else was a match for Vader. Even if they were somehow able to team up before they were hunted down which is very unlikely.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He did ?

God my memory is shit. Though i have only watched most of Rebels only once.

I had to look it up, but yeah, it's something he tells Ezra.

"When I was your age, there were around 10,000 Jedi Knights defending the galaxy. Now, we are few. But in those days, we had small outposts, temples spread throughout the stars. The Empire sought out these temples and destroyed many of them, but not all."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look it up, but yeah, it's something he tells Ezra.

"When I was your age, there were around 10,000 Jedi Knights defending the galaxy. Now, we are few. But in those days, we had small outposts, temples spread throughout the stars. The Empire sought out these temples and destroyed many of them, but not all."
Huh. Thanks.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It's a far better story that there's jedi hidden away resisting in the best way they can against the eradication of their way.

Yoda was the only Jedi Kenobi knew that got away is just as good an explanation and/or the best.

Not so much that as Yoda was renowned as a Jedi Master and teacher.

I love Ezra and Ahsoka. But they'd be AWFUL teachers.