• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it works like that, as localization would very quickly become both a nightmare and an almost certain disaster. It already doesn't work properly in games that couldn't be conceived without such technology (i.e. sports game), so I can't imagine it being good enough in TLOU. I'd guess they went the bruteforce way with multiple recordings, hence the 2 discs of the retail version.
If it's brute force, that's a ton of work, but it's not really a complex technical challenge.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you die in rl too if that happens
Be cautious
34643.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe it works like that, as localization would very quickly become both a nightmare and an almost certain disaster. It already doesn't work properly in games that couldn't be conceived without such technology (i.e. sports game), so I can't imagine it being good enough in TLOU. I'd guess they went the bruteforce way with multiple recordings, hence the 2 discs of the retail version.

Forza Horizon does a similar thingwhere you choose your name at the start of the game and the announcer and some of the characters refer to you by name.
Even if you had 200 names in the game , then the little snippets of vocals even if you had 6 variations per name are only going to be the same size as an music album