• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I dusted off mine last week and playing some of the library. We all laugh at how bad some of the wiggle games are but some offer a certain experience you won't find elsewhere. I don't think we'll see a wii like console anytime soon. Wii sports is still a very fun game anyone can pick up and play. The light gun games are basically gone from any modern devices expect for maybe VR which has a steep entry cost. I'm glad I kept my Wii and suggest people who still own one to hold on to it.

What are wii games you think are still best played on that platform?

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
So many great games. And it got a wonderful send-off with the JRPG trinity of The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower.

Still probably the best version of Resident Evil 4 as well.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda, and the only place you can play it is on Wii... so... that game.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As much as I loved the Wii, I think I had a better time with the Wii U

The Wii has some absurdly high highs, but it's also what kind of caused me to dip out of gaming for half a decade, and the best games are great in spite of waggle, rarely because of it

That said, now the Wii U has been stripped by the Switch, the Wii is a better console to go back to, and a lot of it's games will be harder to port to new systems due to the controls being so far removed from the standard

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii has the most underrated library of all time. It's loaded with hidden gems and it filled the void with more of those off beat titles that was left by the PS2.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
well it has Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, so that means mine will never be unplugged

you guys should check out the very late Wii title Rodea (not the Wii U version)

wii_rodeatheskysoldier_thumb.jpg

feels like a resurrected arcade-y dreamcast game (and at 60fps too)

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree - the Wii's reputation was unfairly tarnished by shovelware and it's waning years where there was very little content, but it's an outstanding system with a great selection of games. GC BC takes it over the top.

Excite Truck and Excite Bots are two absolutely incredible arcade racers and both implement the wii's motion controls really well.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I plan on digging my Wii out sometime soon and replaying some stuff. There's a lot of great stuff in the library, amongst all the shovelware and loads of stuff that probably won't leave the system.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Wii last year. Not a lot of great games in the Wii library but it's an amazing system for enthusiasts due to the homebrew stuff. Now that part is amazing, 240p via component to my CRT, it's like being in the 90's again!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Meh all the games on it has aged and look ugly on a HD TV.

That's why there's Dolphin

Nov 1, 2017
well it has Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, so that means mine will never be unplugged

you guys should check out the very late Wii title Rodea (not the Wii U version)

wii_rodeatheskysoldier_thumb.jpg

feels like a resurrected arcade-y dreamcast game
Doesn't the Wii U version come with the Wii version?
But yeah, the Wii is great. I already have most of the big name titles so I've been tracking down some of the B-tier and lesser known gems.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't that come with the Wii version?

from what i understand only the first printings came with the Wii version, but i haven't dealt with that stuff since launch so i dunno what happened afterwards

Some folks have been asking about how NIS America handled the Wii version of Rodea: The Sky Soldier in terms of packaging. As many of you know, that version of the game came with all pre-orders (plus first-print copies).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Wii was the only time I actually went out to stores on launch day like 3 in the morning with friends and waited to for the store to open (I went to stores at 3AM for a Gamecube, but I was already going out for Black Friday and it was a few days after).

I thought it was great, but honestly didn't play much of it in the end.

There are still Wii games I have that I want to play someday. I wanna try Dead Rising Chop 'til You Drop and the first 2 Pikmin games (the Wii ports). I guess I should play the three Metroid Prime games someday too.

The only reason I turn mine on nowadays is to rip Gamecube and WIi games to play in Dolphin.

Nov 1, 2017
from what i understand only the first printings came with the Wii version, but i haven't dealt with that stuff since launch so i dunno what happened afterwards
Ah, yeah, I think that's correct. I remember only having a mild interest in the game but pre-ordered because of how much praise the Wii version got.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
2 nice features with the wii:

- n64 virtual console games can be played with a gamecube controller and it feels great
- snes classic controller works when plugged to the wiimote. I tried Tatsunoko vs Capcom and it plays wonderfully that way.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest problem I have with the Wii now is that it just doesn't play nice with HDTVs without an expensive upscaler

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting...
Never heard of this one

check out some footage of one of the first boss fights, this is one of the most electrifying boss fights ive ever played, where you're midair using the wii mote to aim and lock on and arc around stuff, its really cool

its over pretty quickly tho

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
It's okay for Japanese games, slightly underrated in that regard. Still easily the weakest market leading platform ever when it comes to the overall library - a joke compared to SNES, PS1, 2 and 4 or sucessful handhelds.

But it plays Gamecube.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Not true anymore. Many HDMI adapters are available for cheap now ( sub 20$) and they give good results. Better then wii component cables.
I got the Sewell "low latency" adapter that seemed to be recommended the most, but IMO it looks bad and more importantly it lags just as much as using component cables

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yuji Naka was involved in this, no? Curious, what's the downside of the WiiU vs. the Wii version?

shit framerate, worse visuals, limited flying meter was added for some ungoddly reason, health meter, more hand holding, less challanging, bonus levels removed

its almost a completely different game

like i was saying the Wii version is like a throwback to dreamcast arcadey games, and the Wii U version attempts to turn it into more of a 3rd person adventure or something

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One of the .56% that has mine still hooked up. It will be solidified as one of the best just based on the fact that it's the only way to play No More Heroes 1&2.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
The gaming industry hasn't been the same (in terms of innovation) since the Wii died... just the same few templates rehashed over and over. (Although I admit I haven't paid attention to VR so I don't know if I'm missing anything there.)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
shit framerate, worse visuals, limited flying meter was added for some ungoddly reason, health meter, more hand holding, less challanging, bonus levels removed

its almost a completely different game

like i was saying the Wii version is like a throwback to dreamcast arcadey games, and the Wii U version attempts to turn it into more of a 3rd person adventure or something

Yep, Wii U/3DS Rodea kind of sucks but the Wii version is well worth checking out.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
This is a cool thread for me as I just hooked up my original white Wii to my CRT a few weeks ago and have been having a blast with Donkey Kong Country Returns again.

The Wii was always an underdog that no one really took that seriously and I have to admit, I didn't get a second hand one until years after it's release, but I was surprised at how good it is and many of the games are pure Nintendo gold.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This is a cool thread for me as I just hooked up my original white Wii to my CRT a few weeks ago and have been having a blast with Donkey Kong Country Returns again.

The Wii was always an underdog that no one really took that seriously and I have to admit, I didn't get a second hand one until years after it's release, but I was surprised at how good it is and many of the games are pure Nintendo gold.
I'm playing galaxy 2 and this game is fun as hell. More so than Odyssey for me

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I have no use for a Wii. I already have the superior Wii-U. Such an underrated gem of a machine. It didn't deserve its fate.