• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Sounds like Spaniards are a little edgy.

Clearly you won't be able to do much about it, specially if you work with strangers everyday. I get the same question a bunch too, but I work with the same people most of the time so it doesn't as often. I kind of like it though. Maybe if you don't speak at all?
I guess I should not expect a decent comment from the kind of people who will generalize an entire country based on a random forum poster.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work. I had black coworkers in Edmonton of all the worst places to be a poc. They would get asked this question at a fucking gas station while just getting gas. And when they responded I'm from Canada the response was always
" yea I know you are NOW but I meant before you were here " .... " oh well where were your parents from "

Ask them that right back.....unless they are Native of course

I don't know why some people always ask that, I'm white with no accent and get asked it too. May be because the Toronto area is so diverse. Sometimes it's offensive, sometimes it's not. People you don't have any kind of relationship with shouldn't ask though.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it seems like something you'll just have to deal with because people will never stop. The same would happen to most of us Americans if we went to another country and spoke the language with a clear accent.

It sucks, but I wouldn't worry about something outside of my control. I'd probably just own it and proudly answer the question all day. Fuck it. Why not?

I know, this isn't a great answer.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As another immigrant in Canada who used to work retail, I feel you. It sucks that the people think ""default"" nationality of Asians is Chinese (and whatever stereotypes come from that), but whatever... I just correct them and move on. I don't think most of it is malicious, nor do I act passive aggressively on it. They just don't know any better, and it definitely is something that's less common with younger generations. I'm sure it's just something old people do to get some small talk going and pass on the time.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
Heaven forbid people are curious about an accent

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Many people are annoying. This is magnified in retail by 10000000000%. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

But you should consider working through your hatred of Canada, because if not you're going to continue being miserable here. You post about it quite often.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a black woman, born and raised in the US (but was also an Army brat so lived in other countries growing up). I once had an old white woman patient who asked me where I was from. I told her I was born in Alabama. She hesitated then asked me what nation I was from. I finally just said slowly, the Nation of Alabama. She stopped after that. I don't have an accent at all and sound like every other person in Seattle. She also didn't ask my white co-worker where she was from, even though she was standing right next to us.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I doubt any of that is meant with Ill intent. I could see why it's incredibly annoying though.

They probably don't ask this to your Vietnamese coworker because that's a little more obvious? I don't know.

Try not to take this stuff to hesrt and maybe get out of retail hah.

I'm a black woman, born and raised in the US (but was also an Army brat so lived in other countries growing up). I once had an old white woman patient who asked me where I was from. I told her I was born in Alabama. She hesitated then asked me what nation I was from. I finally just said slowly, the Nation of Alabama. She stopped after that. I don't have an accent at all and sound like every other person in Seattle. She also didn't ask my white co-worker where she was from, even though she was standing right next to us.

Why not go with "I'm American" and laugh it off. Questions like these are nothing to get offended over imo. Unless they're being rude and start saying nasty stuff.

I am a white male so you may just want to ignore anything I say.

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Why not? You may be an interesting person and attract people who want to get to know you. 🙂
It seems to me you need to read the OP again. If someone wanted to know the random guy working at the toy store, why is the nationality the one thing they ask about? Nobody ever asks me anything else personal other than that. Nobody ever engaged my Canadian coworkers like that. It puzzles me how difficult to understand this is for some of you. It also can't be that difficult to get why it'd be annoying to have the exact same unnecessary conversation so many times every day.

It would be illegal to ask this question in a job interview, and I deal with it between 20 and 50 times per day. Let that sink in.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of the responses in here are like:

diet-racist-hed-2014.jpg

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Tell them you are an ancient of Mumu, then drive off in an ice-cream van.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see some people here have the lack of self awareness that leads to stress for people like OP.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
White people love asking minorities dumb ass questions. The lack of self awareness is annoying as fuck. One of the worse things about being a minority in any service related field.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bless you OP for making people tell on themselves

i'm sorry i don't have any more insightful advice for you than what has already been said, as a blonde white boy who affects generic newscaster while i work retail, i will never be able to truly understand your frustration

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't work. I had black coworkers in Edmonton of all the worst places to be a poc. They would get asked this question at a fucking gas station while just getting gas. And when they responded I'm from Canada the response was always
" yea I know you are NOW but I meant before you were here " .... " oh well where were your parents from "

with the parenthetical that i am not black so my observations have minimal value, but that i do live in edmonton, i don't know how it could possibly be considered the "worst place to be poc" when we have such high nonwhite population, and they're so varied in ethnicity. there aren't even enough make canada great again types around here to have Ford-type politicians in power like in ontario

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly OP, i think you are being a little silly, i will bluntly said that if this was happening to you in Mexico you would never consider this an issue.

Do you think of yourself as Canadian? Or is it the fact that people can tell you aren't a native english speaker that bothers you?

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Why not go with "I'm American" and laugh it off. Questions like these are nothing to get offended over imo. Unless they're being rude and start saying nasty stuff.

I am a white male so you may just want to ignore anything I say.

I said I was born in Alabama. That means I'm American. I probably would have laughed it off but the "what nation" part was the problem. Like I couldn't be American and black at the same time. And again, she didn't ask my white co-worker the same questions. I didn't say I got offended by it, though she was staring at me the entire time and it felt weird. It was just another instance of this stuff I've dealt with before.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Frankly OP, i think you are being a little silly, i will bluntly said that if this was happening to you in Mexico you would never consider this an issue.

Do you think of yourself as Canadian? Or is it the fact that people can tell you aren't a native english speaker that bothers you?

Its annoying because its rude. As I said, I'm American born and raised, and get the question constantly too. It makes you feel 'othered' like you are not part of civilized society.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP, I get asked this question all the time as well. I was born in China, but moved at a young enough age to speak the language here fluently, but obviously I look different.
While it's almost always the case of no harm meant, it really annoys me. Whenever they guess right or I answer them, that's the end of it. It's information that is nothing done with at all, so I don't understand why they even ask at all. If they want small talk, then start complaining about the weather.
A while ago, I was at a friend's party and one of their acquaintances that I didn't meet before came up to me and asked that question right away. No greeting, no introduction, right away. Like my ethnicity was more important than my name.

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018

It is none of those two things that bothers me, it is the ones that I point out in the OP. You will find it in the first page, right at the very top.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I am white and was born where I live. However, I have an "accent" due toan ear infection i got as a baby that led to speech impediment.

I get asked this question occasionally and each time it irks me and idk why.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Rationalizing Discrimination, History of Severe Infractions
Fuck that. If OP speaks the language clearly and concisely. then nothing else needs to be worked on. The accent is a character trait and is probably a lovely and excellent one at that. Shit needs to stay.

Fuck ignorant people who get hung up on accents in their attempt to validate whether or not someone's acceptable.
Ohhhhhh my god are you serious

OP asked for a solution. The solution is not "everyone else must change fundamental human nature" even if the world might be better if we did (it would). If OP doesn't want to be singled out for being different, the answer is to stop being different. That's the sad truth. It's not possible to change everything else. What else could he do? No one in this thread has yet provided an alternative that is feasible.

Please don't mistake my answer with a lack of sympathy.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
with the parenthetical that i am not black so my observations have minimal value, but that i do live in edmonton, i don't know how it could possibly be considered the "worst place to be poc" when we have such high nonwhite population, and they're so varied in ethnicity. there aren't even enough make canada great again types around here to have Ford-type politicians in power like in ontario
I'm sorry but you don't see a parallel to the most Republican type party in Canada's history, the reform party led by disgrace Preston manning, Stephen Harper and the wildrose party? None of those originated outside Alberta

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
OP asked for a solution. The solution is not "everyone else must change fundamental human nature" even if the world might be better if we did (it would). If OP doesn't want to be singled out for being different, the answer is to stop being different. That's the sad truth. It's not possible to change everything else. What else could he do? No one in this thread has yet provided an alternative that is feasible.

A) you have no clue how hard it is to get rid of an accent.
B) yes, it's them who should change, not me. If the problem was the color of my skin or the shape of my eyes, should I change that too?
I didn't come to Canada to stop being Spanish, I came because my wife is Canadian. Your solution to my problem creates an even bigger problem. If it's annoying to deal with this question, imagine living a life where I have to pretend to be something I'm not just so that others won't judge me based on their prejudice. Fuck that.

My name gives away my "foreignity" too, should I change that as well?

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I am Puerto Rican, and I get very often asked what kind of Mexican am I. It really bothers me but I pretend to not care. Some people can be real ass hats.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you a bit on this. I know two co-workers that actively worked on removing their southern accent (US) since they noticed they were being treated differently.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would go with the Spanish flag suggestion so that people segue immediately to talking about their Spanish holiday instead of the where are you from routine. There's no way they're changing on their own.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair i have a habit of being very curious about where people come from because i have a fair share of international friends and i'm rather proud of it. But the key aspect here is that it seems to happen with random conversation that folks know will go nowhere, and at that point i would think they ask it more so to codify the OP as foreign than to invest in further understanding.

Curiously enough some folks have asked me if i've lived in foreign countries because i don't have an accent, in an area where it's almost as if each neighborhood has its own.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but you don't see a parallel to the most Republican type party in Canada's history, the reform party led by disgrace Preston manning, Stephen Harper and the wildrose party? None of those originated outside Alberta

i don't disagree, but i do see other areas of canada trending more reactionary, whereas in metropolitan alberta i see them getting generationally and demographically marginalized

the last lure to conservative thought in alberta in my eyes is the oil industry. sports team mindset and our economy not being diversified means that even "woke" people who respect trans people's pronouns can still feel they have to hate those damn pipeline protestors and secret alberta hater justin because they want us to all lose our jobs.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Welcome to Canada, dear OP.

As someone who has been on both sides of this conversation, I can understand. As you already surmised, these queries do not stem from malice but rather genuine curiosity. And as made blatantly evident, the repetitious nature of it, which the inquirers are unaware of, is grating.

Most people simply want to connect and want to impress and be appreciated and that is why, cheesy as it is, they try to speak to you in your native tongue. When people have tried it with me, it annoyed me but I understood. Then again, unlike you, I did not have to put up with it ad nauseum which would definitely change my temperament over time.

As a Canadian, I will tell you this- Telling people that you are from Canada is a subtle but stern enough message for most Canadians. However, the other suggestion of pinning a spanish flag badge would also be an alternative. Mind you, however, you might still get asked "what country" does that flag represent for the customers not in the know.

Good luck.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a small town or something? I never chit chat with store clerks. I'm in and out.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
A) you have no clue how hard it is to get rid of an accent.
B) yes, it's them who should change, not me. If the problem was the color of my skin or the shape of my eyes, should I change that too?
I didn't come to Canada to stop being Spanish, I came because my wife is Canadian. Your solution to my problem creates an even bigger problem. If it's annoying to deal with this question, imagine living a life where I have to pretend to be something I'm not just so that others won't judge me based on their prejudice. Fuck that.

My name gives away my "foreignity" too, should I change that as well?
Yeah, no need for you to have to basically pretend to be a wholly different person. I wish I was shocked that this stuff was being suggested, but.

Most answers you can give are either going to invite similar questions or follow-ups or could be seen as snarky by people who are going to be mad regardless. I have a regional accent and get it less, but when I'm asked I usually just say "my mama." Not as convenient in a situation like work though.