• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Long story short, I'm from Spain currently living in Canada. I work at a store. My English is almost perfect at this point but I obviously have a fairly strong accent. Every day, depending on how busy it is, I get between 20 and 50 customers who ask me where I'm from. It's really annoying to have to answer the same question literally hundreds of times every month, but this one in particular is rather offensive. This is my take:

First, many idiots will not just ask me where I'm from, but rather "are you from X country?". They never guess the right one, obviously, because there are about 200 countries in the world, dozens of which produce accents similar to mine. People have asked if I'm from South Africa or Russia more times than Spain. Second, and this is what gets to me: you are meeting me for a minute or two in your entire life, and you decide to spend it asking this stranger a personal question. Not only that but, out of all personal things, this is the one that'll set us apart because you are Canadian and I'm not and that's what your question points out. The feeling that these people, almost always white old people, need to approve where I come from, decide if I'm one of the "good ones" is constantly there, their eyes sparkle when I say that I'm from Spain. I've tried saying that I'm from Mexico and the reaction usually has nothing to do with the one Spain gets. Something interesting is that I have a Vietnamese coworker, very strong accent too, and not even once have I seen anyone ask her where she's from. It feels as if with me there is a possible "right" answer whereas with her there isn't. It's not cool to have dozens of idiots trying to define you and label you every day based on your nationality, even if it's "a lovely country".

I want to remark that people always do this in a very friendly and polite manner. I want to be able to say something that'll prevent me from having to answer the question while pointing out how rude, racist, exclusive and aggressive it is, but I'm going to come off as rude and confrontational. Someone suggested "I'm from a loving family", I don't particularly like this answer, but that kind of formula is what I'm looking for.

PS1: if you're a white person without a foreign accent who's never worked retail, please take an extra minute to consider your suggestion before hitting submit. Chances are what'd be acceptable to say for you, wouldn't be for me.
PS2: 80 million people visit Spain every year, just because you meet a Spaniard doesn't mean you gotta explain to me your whole vacation. I hear about ten vacation stories every day. They are all literally the same, be a little more imaginative when planning your vacation, people!
PS3: also, just because you took Spanish in highschool doesn't mean I'm interested in correcting your pronunciation. Don't try to communicate with me in a language that you "hablo un poquito", it won't make our interaction any easier to switch to a language that only one of us speaks.
PS4: for the love of my cat, don't tell me how sorry you are about the "situation" in my country, you don't know more about Spain than I do, and you are about to be lectured about the many things I consider fucked up about Canada. I can't pretend to be polite and friendly with these ones.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start making up countries and telling them you're from there. And I mean go all out. Even go so far as creating a fake wikipedia page that you can show people.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very large port-wine stain birthmark on my neck and people asked me if I was in an accident all the time when I worked retail. Worse was "wow what happened to your neck" probably twice a week. While not racist, it was annoying.

Say you're from Canada.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Get a couple hundred business cards printed that say nothing but "I'm from Spain" in fancy embossed lettering. When asked, simply hand them a card and say nothing.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Put a country's flag on a visible part of your attire and that should non-verbally give them the answer before the question is even asked.

Edit: Or be Joseph Joestar and say this line followed by what they will probably say:

FD3.jpg

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry about the harassment. What if you said you're from Portugal? No one knows anything about Portugal.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Tell them you're from Canada
Doesn't work. I had black coworkers in Edmonton of all the worst places to be a poc. They would get asked this question at a fucking gas station while just getting gas. And when they responded I'm from Canada the response was always
" yea I know you are NOW but I meant before you were here " .... " oh well where were your parents from "

thesaint08

Apr 23, 2018
I think that you are over thinking this. Unless things are different in Canada, my guess is that they are simply starting a conversation.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they so nosy? I would never ask a person working at a shop where they're from

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Long story short, I'm from Spain currently living in Canada. I work at a store. My English is almost perfect at this point but I obviously have a fairly strong accent. Every day, depending on how busy it is, I get between 20 and 50 customers who ask me where I'm from. It's really annoying to have to answer the same question literally hundreds of times every month, but this one in particular is rather offensive.
try living with "hey, do you play basketball" for your entire life.

difference is a beacon to ignorance.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP, born and raised in Toronto and am a visible minority. When I moved to Ottawa, I got a TON of "So where are you from?" Or even worse, comments about "my people", even though it was the wrong type of brown. I still do to this day. And as you said, it's polite and friendly.... that's Canadian racism lol. Just smile and say you're from here (hell, I always answer "I'm from Toronto, how did you know?"). Polite, but short responses will be your saving grace.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dozens? Mine is pretty strong and only two or three per day.

Tell them your accent is actually due brain ischemia. It usually makes them not do it ever again.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
This sucks OP. I was thinking along the lines of ajpw, maybe wear a pin of the flag and point to it. You could say "I'm always asked that." I would consider picking a different country rather than Spain since that's a big tourist destination as you mentioned. Maybe an island.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they so nosy? I would never ask a person working at a shop where they're from
To a lot of people, it's not really considered that rude, and they probably see it as an easy way to make small talk.

Edit: Not sure how much the flag would help as that might just get them to ask what country the flag is from.

Oct 28, 2017
For a real solution, sounds like you need to work on your accent. It's really very quick to get rid of if you're fluent with a bit of hard work.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Get a couple hundred business cards printed that say nothing but "I'm from Spain" in fancy embossed lettering. When asked, simply hand them a card and say nothing.

Honestly while this is slightly inconvenient as an expense this is very effective.

Personally if I got this annoyed as the op I would add at the bottom "I'm not THAT unique and neither is your question."

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry about the harassment. What if you said you're from Portugal? No one knows anything about Portugal.

I would go with this, and if someone ever tells him something in Portuguese he can just pretend like they are speaking a completely alien language, so it feels like he is back in Spain XD, or alternative just answer back with Caralho, either will do.

EDITED: Actually should probably make it clear this is a joke, if you work in retail and someone says something to you in Portuguese, most definitely do not answer back with Caralho.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They want to "make small talk" yes, but in the sense of "you sound different and this makes me curious, let me say something to make you feel different".

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I talk to people with accents all the time and unless I'm actually getting to know them or dealing with them in my life a lot (work, etc) I wouldn't even care or consider asking a stranger where they are from and trying to make small talk around that.

Some people are weird and I'm sorry. I can't imagine having do deal with that shit 20-50 times a day.

Oct 28, 2017
Ignore the question and change the subject by asking an unrelated question.

"Where are you from?"

"I see you're buying the double pack of suppository laxatives. How are those working for you? Well I'm sure whichever way things will come out ok in the end."

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They want to "make small talk" yes, but in the sense of "you sound different and this makes me curious, let me say something to make you feel different".
This isn't always the case. My mother used this opener so she could say something flattering about the culture she was familiar with.

Even if she didn't know she would turn the situation on its head to try and build comraderie.

It's a valid way to approach people but I guess most people part of the majority group don't understand how to make that connection appropriately.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I think that you are over thinking this. Unless things are different in Canada, my guess is that they are simply starting a conversation.
Yeah, sounds like retail. Old folks always wanted to make conversation with me, but I'm white and don't have an accent any different from theirs, so they didn't have that to latch on to as their small talk starter. I got a lot more of the "why are you a young man working in a beauty store", with the follow up insinuation that I was either gay or trying to meet girls there.
Anyway, sorry for the situation OP, hope it somehow gets resolved.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
People who say things like this always make it seem a lot easier than how the world actually works. That, or they watch too much anime.
People who say this are too simple minded to realize most replies in a forum aren't designed to express a lot of nuanced details about macro and micro policies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine OP is not in a position to tell them off because they might complain to his boss.

So what OP needs is a way to defuse it before he gets dragged into a soliloquy he doesn't want to hear. Having a flag somewhere, maybe. Lying, maybe. Making shit up and trolling, maybe.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm from America with New Mexican accent and get asked where I'm from constantly. The worst part is the people that when I tell them say "Oh your English is so good!" Bitch, New Mexico is a state.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is most of the time it's not malicious. I get why it's annoying tho.
Plenty of discriminatory or otherizing things aren't malicious, and that's part of the problem. People don't even realize they're being shitty because they completely lack awareness, or don't care. They want something (knowledge) to settle an assumption they've already made. To them, it's totally natural and fine. Except for the impacted party, it's not.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The retail thing sucks. I wish you could just tell them all you're from the proud nation of Nunya.
Honestly, it seems like something that's kinda impossible to prevent. Best would probably be a way of shutting down the conversation as quickly as possible without offending the customer... which still sucks.