• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
I work at a manufacturing plant, and everyone must go through security on the way out of the plant. The security guard scans you with a metal detector, but it is all very quickly.

And after he scans me, it's always the same exchange of words:

- Security Guard: All clear.
- Me: Thanks.
- SG: Have a nice day.
- Me: You too.
- SG: See you tomorrow.
- Me: ...

See? It happens very quickly, but it's like he always want to have the last word, and I act/feel very awkward.

I think I'm going to stop saying anything, not even thanks, and just leave quickly.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i think you might be a touch in your own head about this, he probably just says the same couple of lines to every person that goes through

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Take off running at full speed after he says "have a nice day".

For more fun and entertainment take off running right after he checks you into your job tomorrow.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
make sure when you leave without saying anything you run out really fast and pretend like your hiding something in your jacket

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I worked at a warehouse, I always chatted it up with security. They looked bored, and I always got there early before my shift, so it was a nice way to pass time.

Some people just want to talk. Don't worry about it too much, but also don't be so awkward about it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Ask the security guard out.
UnlawfulChiefHornshark-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Preempt him to assert your dominance. Turn your "thanks" into "Thanks. Have a good one." Add in a "See you tomorrow," before he has a chance to say anything else, if you want to go full mad man.

Alternatively, throw him a "See you later, alligator" on random days to really mess him up.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
text him "later, gator!" from the parking lot and then destroy your phone so you never see them respond

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I work at a manufacturing plant, and everyone must go through security on the way out of the plant. The security guard scans you with a metal detector, but it is all very quickly.

And after he scans me, it's always the same exchange of words:

- Security Guard: All clear.
- Me: Thanks.
- SG: Have a nice day.
- Me: You too.
- SG: See you tomorrow.
- Me: ...

See? It happens very quickly, but it's like he always want to have the last word, and I act/feel very awkward.

I think I'm going to stop saying anything, not even thanks, and just leave quickly.
Reply "Not if I see you first..."

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
also next time he says "have a nice day" say "you have a better one" and he'll be too stunned to even get the last word in

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I mean, sure, it all seems pretty normal, but after years of having the same exchange of words at the same time every day, you start to become self conscious about it.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
He definitely secretly despises you, and every time you let him say "See you tomorrow" without saying anything back, his utter contempt for you only grows further.

There's only one solution. Tomorrow, after he says "See you tomorrow," walk up to him, stare him in the eyes intensely, and say "Suck a turd, dweeb." Then run away super fast b/c he's probably going to try to shoot you.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
ok so maybe sneak some metal in your underwear next time to spice things up?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
also next time he says "have a nice day" say "you have a better one" and he'll be too stunned to even get the last word in
Suddenly a blush appeared on the security guards face. It's been 12 years this past June since his wife died in that fire, but for the first time since, something light and beautiful grazed against his cold, dead heart. It was pure, it was passionate.

It was carnal lust.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, it all seems pretty normal, but after years of having the same exchange of words at the same time every day, you start to become self conscious about it.
Change it up.

Say weird things like

got big plans for the weekend?
fine, and you?
you're welcome!
i'm sorry for your loss.

or any other randomly chosen platitude from the set of [english language platitudes]

Don't blame him for doing what he's probably yelled at to do by his manager, when you have just as much power to prevent the banality of your interactions.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
just spice it up with a "how're the spouse and kids"?

btw if he replies that he doesn't have any, it is common courtesy to hug him while saying "I am so sorry".

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Stop thinking about it. I used to work a contract for Homeland Security and had
to go through security screens in and out of the building every time. Eventually you get used to it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
just wink after his "see you tomorrow"

or, alternatively, just walk away and stop thinking about it becase the quick exchange of pleasantries appears to be over and you can move on with your life.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Enjoy your movie.
Thanks you too.

You should ask the guard their name btw. You interact with them every day.