• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
There are various theories explaining about the spatial rift inside the Pokeball. If we compare the theories with real-life equivalent objects...
  • It can house a large elephant, so of course, you can have a garden in there.
  • It provides a stasis that permanently halts your metabolism, rendering you unable to get hungry nor be fatigued, so you will never have the need to eat nor drink anything. No need to have a large space anyway.
  • Paradise.
  • It's just a shell.
The very last option is actually closer to reality, considering that we do have something akin to a shell in real life.

Below is an image of a tsunami evacuation pod. When a tsunami occurs, you open the latch, and hop in.

When you're inside the pod, it will give you that sensation that you're inside a Pokeball, and that you will get to experience what it feels like to get tossed around and around, like Pokeballs inside a cargo pants' pocket.

You still need to eat and drink, so the pod comes with emergency rations that you can store and prepare in case of natural disaster. It would be the same as if you are carrying Leftovers, and you have nothing else to do other than eat it to recover some HP.

When the Pokeball pops open, you typically hear a popping sound. That's right, this pod can open with a pop!

You can still hear voices when your trainer speaks to you while you're inside the Pokeball. This pod is not soundproof, meaning you can hear the noises outside. It's only waterproof.

There are emergency lights inside the pod, to illuminate in the dark for rescue teams to spot. It can be said Pokemon stored inside Pokeballs give off light as the Pokemon is condensed into matter. That emergency light can simulate that.

And about the empty space inside the pod? It's about 12 tatami tiles wide. /jk

dZfmHDS.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
didn't they answer it in a one off interview with something like "oh i dunno, i guess its like a resort or something"
(essentially showing that they have no intent of ever going into detail)

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this post in r/all and knew this thread was inspired by it lol

claustrophobius maximus. Not even once.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have a picture from within the pod? It's definitely claustrophobic nightmare, but if you're able to move at least a little bit, I would be curious to try to see how that would save someone's life during a tsunami.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of the Absolutely Safe Capsule from Mother 3, and it's kinda frightening haha.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Most likely just puts you into a mode of stasis and keeps the Pokemon's metabolism relatively low. These guys don't really come out tired, they kind of look like they are ready to go when they come out and send them back in to "rest". Plus pikachu hated being inside the ball for a reason so yeah. Stasis, low-ish metabolism. Not much going on

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I like to imagine that whenever I take my Pokéemon to the center for heals that their perception of it is like a week in a Sandals resort or something lol

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The inside of the pokeball can't be something that puts the Pokemon in stasis, considering they still suffer poison damage while you walk around.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man, it seems weird in there. Like you're converted to energy or something in the anime. I also guess in that, even if you were just a bunch of weird red energy you could still get yourself out of the ball whenever, so that's no so bad. I think the manga had it so that you could see the Pokemon miniaturized inside the ball, and they could look out and observe the outside world.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No way in hell, it must be a brainwashing machine

Suddenly the animal you crushed painfully is now at your beck and call instantly?

Nah man I'll keep my will.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And then you're sleeping and suddenly is dragged to fight a random Ursaring somewhere.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm gonna level with you. Yes.

Though it's probably less about the pokeball it's self and more about the concept of a living situation that doesn't come with life long debt and a constant fear of eviction due to unforseen financial hardships.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the anime makes it look awfully boring to be stuck there, with your pokethoughts

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Logically, the "interior" of a Pokeball should be digital, allowing for the transfer of Pokemon to a computer network. So it's probably like stasis, since the Pokemon doesn't physically exist until it's released again. A Pokemon like Ash's Pikachu that doesn't like going into a Pokeball might not be because it doesn't like being in it, rather than the process of going in and out.

But it's still super handwavey because there's not really a good way to account for what happens to the mass of the Pokemon. The most sensible science fiction solution that fits is that their mass turns into energy, and is reverted back to mass when released (which kind of fits the visuals) but that isn't really physically possible, or at least not within the capability of something the size of a Pokeball.