• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And I don't mean because you woke up with a hangover after a night out. I mean constant drinking, not necessarily in an "cliché" alcoholic way of starting in the mornings and drinking all day long, but simply drinking very regularly.

Looking back, I think I pretty much drank every day of my first three years of university. At the time I really did not think about it and we joked about our alcohol consumption among friends. Most times it was with friends, but all the other days I was alone I had my beer or wine as well.

I always thought I was "better" than those that just drank excessively on weekends, because, with the exception of two incidents in my teens, I never was a fan of those extreme boozing sessions. My parents let me drink wine with them quite early because they thought it was best if I didn't experience alcohol as some kind of "party drug" but rather as means of indulgence, to pair it with food or a nice evening with friends and family. However in the last couple of months it became clearer and clearer to me that my situation may be way worse. It was revealed to me that not only my father is an alcoholic, but also his father and grandfather were alcoholics as well. On a side note, both killed themselves as well. My father is in a tough spot right now as well.

Due to those circumstances I really started to think about how I consume alcohol. In the last couple of months I managed to dial my consumption back by quite a bit, but still, I don't really now how to deal with it. Sometimes I think it would be the best to stop alltogether, but a week later I have changed my decision. Either because I drink while I am in a restaurant or even because I "fall back" into old habits and start drinking alone when I am not feeling good.

So far I have come to the conclusion that alcohol may be the worst drug on the planet, because it is astonishingly socially accepted. Also, I really like it, not necessarily because the effect it has, but also because of the taste and "culture". I love a real good bar, some cocktails you get are absolutely incredible (I had a asparagus infused Martini once which was quite something). Thus I came to the conclusion that I probably should not try to stop drinking, if I still like it. At least for now.

How do you consume alcohol, especially if you gave deeper thought to it or have incurrences of alcoholism in you family? Did you stop alltogether at some point (which point?) or did you manage to set yourself rules on how you could enjoy a drink and the social aspects of it?

I'm a portuguese GP so take my opinion with a grain of salt (i'm biased because I can encounter the worse effects of alcoholism)
IMO you should seek professional help so that you can stop drinking because:
- your family has a disposition to enjoy alcohol a bit too much (maybe you are "genetically weak" to the addiction effects of alcohol?)
- you want to stop your consumption
- You are constantly switching between stopping and drinking usually

IMO getting professional help would be like a "contract" that you could use to stop. Also with drinking everyday there might be consequences of alcohol on your liver, heart and brain as such being examined by a doctor could help control possible diseases.

Answering your questions. I don't drink for 3 reasons:
  1. i'm scared of the consequences of alcohol
  2. it is very calorie heavy -> after going through medicine beinf obese starts to be very scary so i try to avoid high density "foods"
  3. I eat away from home, so i often drive my car.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped drinking 9 months ago, last cig was 6 months ago. My motivation to never drink again is that I'm gonna pick up smoking again if I'm gonna touch alcohol.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped drinking every day because I wanted to lose weight. I kinda miss the occasional beer/glass of wine a day, but it added up for me.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I binge drank (4-8 drinks in one evening) about once or twice a month in junior/senior years of high school, and maybe one night a month in college for the first year. After that, I maybe have one drink every two to three months now. I had five drinks in one 12-hour period on a Friday one time in the past five years.

I don't think I was ever an alcoholic or dependent in anyway. I enjoyed getting drunk with friends, and then stopped when we stopped hanging out as much. Never drank alone and don't generally like alcohol that much, anyway. My parents aren't frequent drinkers, and neither are my siblings to my knowledge.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my wife drink maybe one or twice a month. In the last 6 months there has been one time each where we got sick to our stomachs from drinking too much. It's pretty damn rare, and we're both generally more gunshy the next time... but not too much.

OP
OP

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Many great and interesting answers in the thread! Thank you for all your viewpoints. It's a double-edged sword apparently. I certainly have to be super cautious due to my family background, but I right now I feel a lot worse if I tell myself that I should stop drinking but then continue to do so because I still like it. Hopefully I can find that "healthy" balance. It would be a dream to just drink a couple of times per month, on the social occasion and when I am in a nice bar. Maybe it has a lot to do with being a student as well. The occasions to drink come quite often.

For me the only easy way I've found to cut down on the times that I drink is to just have willpower on my way home from work. If I don't buy a sixpack every day, I can't drink a sixpack every day.

Easier said than done though. I'm still working on getting better at drinking less. I'm in a spot where every day is literally identical to the day before it, and drinking helps to fastforward to a time that isn't now. I can take days or weeks off of drinking and I'm fine, but it's definitely too easy for me to settle into a comfortable rut where I drink all the time. I own the business I work at, and I don't work with our customers, so I've taken to drinking at work when it gets too stressful, and that's not ideal. I hate how comforting it is. My marriage sucks and it has become easier to just come home, clean up after her, make dinner and get drunk.

That is something true. If I am strong enough not to buy booze, I obviously don't drink it. It helped quite a bit dialing my consumption down by simply buying less. Sometimes that is easier said than done, but I've come some way already I think (I recall that I even bought three beers on my way from my girlfriend back home, just because... I thought it would be a good idea to spend the three hours in the train drunk).

Kinda been wondering this myself lately.

Over the holidays it seemed like I had a drink every day of the month of December (part of this was due to getting a beer advent calendar from the wife..). Not DRUNK every day, but drinking. I also got into drinking scotches and other drinks 'neat'. It's nice to have one at the end of the day, without getting 'drunk' but again.. still drinking.

I still like to get full on drunk from time to time, for special occasions or parties or whatever.. but where is the line between 'enjoys alcohol' to 'alcoholic'?

It is neat indeed. A fine whisky can be a guilty pleasure. It's a blurry line between pleasure and addiction though.

I take breaks every other day or so, but once I start drinking I'm pretty much all in until I run out or I'm more interested in sleeping.
At least you can stop for a day... and you know that you have a problem with alcohol. I am sure that someday you will be able to fix that, if you already have the consciousness now.

Nothing good ever comes from it. All (well, almost) my bad drinking experiences have come when things get mixed up.
I agree in regards to those typical mix drinks like vodka and orange juice or whisky cola... but there is no drink which beats a real fine cocktail.

- started buying hoppy non-alc beer for sauna
Beer and sauna is a great fit. When I was in Finland for a short vacation I actually tried that as well. Once I had a little too much though and that is a real fuck up. Your metabolism is completly upside down if you are drunk in a sauna. Thus it seems like a great idea to switch to non-alc beer for that. Nowadays there are some real decent non alcoholic beers as well!

And I made the decision that I'd never drink alone. That's just lame, miserable & boring as fuck.
That is something I told myself as well. Managed to keep that promise for some weeks, but sometimes I fall back. Like yesterday for example, I drank a bottle of wine by myself because I felt bored and lonely because none of my friends called back. What a stupid idea that was, I thought today morning. It's plain stupid to drink alone.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At least you can stop for a day... and you know that you have a problem with alcohol. I am sure that someday you will be able to fix that, if you already have the consciousness now.

I've been in and out of recovery for years. I like my life and know what the consequences are if I go overboard. Guilt is a big motivator there.

OP
OP

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
While my family situation is going up and down - actually, mostly down - I have real difficulties to stop drinking. Somedays, especially when my girlfriend is around, I manage not to drink for one or two days, but today is one of those days I am really felling fairly depressed and started drinking at 1 pm . Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I read this:

I'm committing myself to cutting down heavily. I'm going to stop easy mixed drinks altogether since it's far too easy for me to consume way more than I should. I'll stick to 1-2 beers at most at a time, and will make an effort to not drink every single night.

I always drank responsibly until I started going out with coworkers. They're professionals and work in a professional environment but I was surprised when we'd go out every single night while traveling for work and getting completely trashed. I never really experienced this during University since I wasn't one to go out to bars/clubs. I just bought nice craft beer and whiskeys and had 1-2 beers at most at a time.

My tolerance is scarier than anything right now. I can be in 8+ drinks after a few hours in the evening and still be in full control and completely functional. It's actually scary to think that my brain has adapted. I only notice that I was actually quite drunk when I wake up still tipsy the next day. Plus, I tend to make stupid financial decisions like buying games I don't need.

I'm going to go back to being a snobby beer/whisky drinker. Maybe a new craft beer or craft cocktail every other night. I want to stay well below the 15 units/week limit.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
That is something I told myself as well. Managed to keep that promise for some weeks, but sometimes I fall back. Like yesterday for example, I drank a bottle of wine by myself because I felt bored and lonely because none of my friends called back. What a stupid idea that was, I thought today morning. It's plain stupid to drink alone.

Yeah that's a tough one.

What are your goals? Do you want to abstain entirely, or do you want to regulate your consumption?

I plan on sticking below "healthy" limits, which is 15 units / week. That's 1.5 bottles of wine for the entire week. I could aim a bit lower and shoot for 10 units.

Why don't we keep a journal here? Check in and we can keep each other accountable.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I plan on sticking below "healthy" limits, which is 15 units / week. That's 1.5 bottles of wine for the entire week. I could aim a bit lower and shoot for 10 units.

I was one of those drinkers where at that little amount of alcohol what's the point anymore? It's just a tease and I'll get more stress than relief/relaxation from it.

Good luck though. Everyone has their own journey.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I've been bad about regulating thr past couple of months, but otherwise I just try to nit start drinking before dinner and set a limit of no more than 4 a day and 14 a week. Usually less than that, but that was the "low-risk drinking" threshold for men in some NIH study so I tried not to go over that. My wife has been stressed and down and drinking more and that's rubbed off on me lately and been a bit over that. But nothing crazy and I've never blacked out or had notable withdrawal symptoms in dry months or whole 30 diet months etc.

Anyway, cutting back now and then nothing for a month or two as I have surgery on the 7th for a torn biceps tendon and can't drink the week before or month after when on anti inflammatories.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound really dumb. Just went to the LCBO and picked up some drinks. Got about a dozen craft beers that looked really interesting to me as well as a nice bourbon and nice gin. In the past, I would have maybe 3-4 drinks a week...something new and interesting or a nice craft cocktail. Never had an issue in 10 years of consuming in this manner.

In the past year, I'd increasingly go for the cheapest ABV drinks I could find and was drinking for the effects more than anything else.

Going to enjoy a nice belgian Tripel tonight and just focus on the flavor and aroma.

Part of me thinks that it would be safer to just stay sober. But having visited a nice Prince Edward County winery last weekend, I came across a wine that just hit me so strongly emotionally because of the incredible smell and taste. It was seriously so good that I was nearly tearing up. That kind of reminded me that I used to enjoy alcohol for reasons entirely besides getting drunk. I think I can recapture that.

I will keep posting here to stay accountable and so that I don't deceive myself into thinking that I'm staying in control when I'm not.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I'd be down for making a community for sobriety/moderation here.

There's already a Sober Era thread.

www.resetera.com

Sober Era? Let's Stay Sober OT

**October 2019 Update** I want to stop drinking/smoking/using You've already taken the first step. Below are some resources that can help you along your journey. The Sinclair Method - re-engineer how your brain reacts to alcohol The AA Program - community based 12 step program Please do post...

I didn't like posting there for moderating drinking though. Much like r/stopdrinking its more catered to serious alcoholics who need to abstain or they'll ruin their lives/die. Talking about moderating drinking amongst those people seems like throwing salt in the wound and dangling temptation in front of them.

So I'd be down for a moderating drinking type thread where we can post weekly logs if what we drink and support each other at sticking to our set limits. Though I wouldn't post until I'm able to drink again after my surgery next month.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
I think it's best to start preventing with proper education and awareness. I know schools and such do some effort, but I don't know why it doesn't get taken as seriously. While I never got too carried away with drinking, my mother is an alcoholic. What works for me is absolutely no drinking on weekdays, and I only buy what I'll consume for a weekend, no stocking of anything.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just came across this pod in my feed, might be relevant to some of y'all here.

Over the years, I have openly shared my personal journey with alcoholism and that of many guests. A lifeline for the desperate many that struggle in silence, I do this to underscore that there is always hope, no matter how far down you find yourself.

But what if you're not an alcoholic? What if you, like millions of people, occasionally drink just a little too much? Even though it doesn't destroy your life, it leaves you feeling off. You're tired of the hangovers, the lethargy and the low grade depression it provokes. You'd prefer to stop. But because drinking is integral to your social or professional life, opting out seems impossible. What then?

This week's guest faced this very predicament, a relatable scenario for a vast number of people. The only difference? Andy Ramage decided to do something about it.

A former professional footballer (as they say in the UK), a career-ending injury prompted Andy to hang up the cleats and enter the world of finance. Channeling his work ethic, it didn't take long for him to become successful in the traditional sense, co-creating two multimillion-dollar city brokerages.

But doing well in banking 'required' (or so he thought) drinking. Lots of drinking. Long Mad Men style booze-soaked client lunches. Countless happy hours, pub crawls, and cocktail soirées, followed by clubbing and the occasional after party. It's just what you gotta do to play the game.

Andy didn't necessarily have a drinking 'problem'. But the lifestyle left him drained. Listless. And looking for a change.

Bucking the unwritten rules of his professional environment, he decided to to take a break from alcohol and embarked instead on a quest for peak performance and well-being. It stuck. Not only did Andy feel markedly better, his work performance improved. His relationships became more meaningful. He fell back in love with the simple things that brought him joy as a young lad. Slowly, a new world of life opportunities began to emerge.

Transformed, Andy enthusiastically began sharing his experience, challenging friends and colleagues to quit the booze for 28, 90 or even 365-days. What he didn't know was that the friendly contest he concocted among peers would soon explode into a full-blown international movement he ultimately dubbed One Year No Beer.

I first met Andy two years ago when he turned up for our Plantpower Ireland retreat. Fast friends from the outset, I've wanted to share his story ever since.

Alcoholism is a self-diagnosed disease. Left untreated, it will progress, ultimately leading you to one of three places: jail, institutions, or death. So if you are a true alcoholic, or a sober member of a certain unnamed 12-step program, Andy's message isn't necessarily aimed at you.

This one is for the average drinker, those a bit closer to 'normal' (whatever that is) on the alcohol spectrum who find themselves abusing the booze from time to time. It's for those who started drinking in their teens and never really stopped. And it's for people who have maintained a slow and steady pace of consumption without any given thought to addiction or the negative side effects of alcohol on a daily basis.

In other words, this conversation is directed at the majority of our society.

I haven't listened to the ep yet, but the podcast consistently hosts great convos.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I was a binge drinker for a very long time. I wouldn't drink all week, but once on the weekend, I'd go out with friends and get sloshed. I'd usually consume anywhere between 6-10 vodka sodas (doubles). The next day was rough because my body wasn't used to it. I could tell it had to work hard to normalize me. I'd get some pretty gnarly anxiety to go with the hangover. It wasn't much fun.

Since moving to another city, and leaving all of my friends behind, I'd found a silver-lining in the fact that I never go out and drink anymore. I feel great day-to-day, and really don't miss it at all.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I drink way too much. I much preferred my life without alcohol and many times I get so wasted that I either shut down or become so wild that I start doing and saying really, really stupid things. It feels like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

It didn't used to be SO bad until I lived on my own and had nobody to talk to.

I went on a three month cleanse last year and I had never felt such an increase in energy, clarity, and overall quality of life. My bank account went from almost nothing to an insane surplus I had no idea what to do with. I was active in the community and never had to worry about running my mouth or doing something stupid I didn't remember.

It was fine in college when life wasn't stressful and everyone did it and it had no danger of becoming a coping mechanism. But now it's a crutch. The bad thing is I love it so much, too. I love drinking a ton and getting totally plastered with my friends. I don't know moderation, either, so it's all or nothing for me.

Maybe someday I'll be free. Whether it's through finally getting some self control or abstaining entirely. I dunno.

Frunobulax

Apr 10, 2019
I do drink too much whenever I drink, from a health standpoint.
But I don't drink when it's going to be a problem, and I do not feel that it is a problem for me that I need to worry about.
I don't drink around kids in public or in private or on work nights or if I have anything I have to do the next day. As far as my personal value systems go, my drinking is completely fine.
For 23 years or so I stopped smoking weed (and using any narcotic that wasn't prescribed) entirely and only very rarely got drunk, and only on work trips away from my family, I'm talking once or twice a year, sometimes not for years at a time.
Now my kids have moved out and I am way more relaxed towards adult self-indulgences and I do like to get properly fucked up when I drink, but I have started weed again after decades of not getting high, and these days it seems that I drink significantly less alcohol when I am gooned to fuck from sampling some of the varieties of crazy weed that now exists.
Plus when I'm high I tend to enjoy the types of drinks that have a taste that is ruined/muted if you have too much in too short of a time, like stout and brandy and such.
I've been on a "just do whatever you actually want to do" kick with myself and I think it's actually better for me then just sequestering my penchant for getting wasted away to infrequent benders a few times a year where I'd guzzle ridiculous quantities of booze in a panic to make sure I got the itch scratched in the allotted time.
Not regulating consumption is working out great.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Why don't we keep a journal here? Check in and we can keep each other accountable.
I'd be down for making a community for sobriety/moderation here.
So I'd be down for a moderating drinking type thread where we can post weekly logs if what we drink and support each other at sticking to our set limits. Though I wouldn't post until I'm able to drink again after my surgery next month.

Great idea. I also wouldn't post in a "sober thread" with those issues, simply because I am not trying to become or stay sober, but to control my consumption.

The last week (after I brought up the thread) was horrendous. I drank every day, often more than a bottle of wine and even had some coke at the end of the week which lead to me calling sick for work... which was the sign for me to pull the "emergency break". I went to my girlfriend and we spent a long weekend together doing not much, but at least I did not drink for those days. Yesterday I had a Radler to my dinner but when I arrived home again I pointlessly drank a half liter wine again... and felt terrible today morning. Bought some alcohol free beer today and hopefully I won't get enticed to cool another carafe of wine today.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I've slowed down quite a bit.

These days I try to keep it to Thursday happy hour and a 6 pack for the weekend (though the beer is 12%).

Problem is now it's summer so it's rare I don't go out at least one weekend night - past few weeks it has been Saturday night and Sunday during the day - and almost all my social activities revolve around drinking. Plus I live in a downtown area where I can just walk to a ton of bars and work in the same area so there are always happy hours that are tempting.

I work out typically 7 days a week - twice a day Mon-Wed - and eat well, so at least I'm counteracting it a bit.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm drunk almost every day during the summer when I'm back home with my friends on the seaside, that's just how it goes. Beach, party, drinks, girls and repeat day after day. I'm making most of it while I still can, until I start working full time and finish with my education.

Other than the summer, I drink only on special few occasions. I don't party much when I'm in the city. Partying and drinking go hand in hand for me, I never drink alcohol just because. Unless I'm ready to get really drunk and turn up, you won't see me with any kind of alcohol, sipping a cold beer or whatever.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yeah I did my scaling back last week. Had 3 beers on Sunday over a long period while working on the deck. Nothing sense (despite more hours more deck staining the last two evenings) as I want to get over any mild withdrawal before my surgery Friday and not being able to drink for a while afterwards when taking pain meds and antiinflammatories.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
It's interesting that this got bumped because I was just thinking about it last night. I too feel that I drink too often. It's not a thing of drinking to the point of being drunk all the time, but I tend to want to have the "appropriate" drink for the situation...even if I'm not necessarily interested in drinking at that time. If I'm eating Mexican food I'll always have a margarita or if I'm having Italian I'll have a glass of wine. But, last night I went out to a restaurant to grab a bite to eat before seeing a movie and I sat at the bar because I was by myself. I ordered a beer and got about halfway through it before I realized that I really wasn't enjoying it and only really ordered a beer because it seemed to be the "right" thing to do while sitting at the bar. I'm really interested in seeing what other people do to help limit those situations...

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
It's interesting that this got bumped because I was just thinking about it last night. I too feel that I drink too often. It's not a thing of drinking to the point of being drunk all the time, but I tend to want to have the "appropriate" drink for the situation...even if I'm not necessarily interested in drinking at that time. If I'm eating Mexican food I'll always have a margarita or if I'm having Italian I'll have a glass of wine. But, last night I went out to a restaurant to grab a bite to eat before seeing a movie and I sat at the bar because I was by myself. I ordered a beer and got about halfway through it before I realized that I really wasn't enjoying it and only really ordered a beer because it seemed to be the "right" thing to do while sitting at the bar. I'm really interested in seeing what other people do to help limit those situations...

I don't think many here will have advice in that as we mostly are wanting to get to that point of just having a drink or two with a meal a few times a week and not having that drink or two turn into having 3 or 4 or more from having a few more at home afterward, having 5 or 6 on weekend days etc.

Having a drink or two a few times a week is perfectly fine and some studies even suggest a glass of wine or a beer a day or so can have health benefits. Mixed drinks like margaritas less so as the mixers are often sugary.

So honestly , if thst little amount bothers you you're likely just needing to go sober rather than try to moderate your drinking as that's already a negligible and healthy amount.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My consumption petered back after a few nasty hangovers. I realized being able to enjoy a day is better than struggling with a hangover all day. Then it dialed back even further when I just realized how much healthier one becomes when they reduce intake.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have blacked out a couple of times. Once while I was in Las Vegas and that was kinda scary since I woke up sleeping in my own puke. Could have died from choking. I don't really drink unless I'm out with friends. Avoid Liquor nowadays and tend to just stick to beer as that's my favorite type of drink.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't think many here will have advice in that as we mostly are wanting to get to that point of just having a drink or two with a meal a few times a week and not having that drink or two turn into having 3 or 4 or more from having a few more at home afterward, having 5 or 6 on weekend days etc.

Having a drink or two a few times a week is perfectly fine and some studies even suggest a glass of wine or a beer a day or so can have health benefits. Mixed drinks like margaritas less so as the mixers are often sugary.

So honestly , if thst little amount bothers you you're likely just needing to go sober rather than try to moderate your drinking as that's already a negligible and healthy amount.

I'd be careful with this recomendation The benefits of wine/beer come from the non alcohol components. Alcohol itself has very little health benefits. People and studies are quick to forget that alcohol is only "harmless" with a normal working body, which won't stay as such if there is regular intake of alcohol. Also most studies also heavily focus in liver and usually forget the heart and the brain.

Also the cutoff point is usually 1 red wine bottle (13% alcohol)) per week. Any amount of alcohol above that will have adverse effects eventually. (i'm being a bit too objective here , for example if you are a small lady, that would probably be harmful)

My point is if you are not drinking alcoholic beverages because you like it then you should stop and drink something healthy like water. Don't drink because it has "health benefits".

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I just make a rule that I stop drinking by 9pm and only drink water after that. And I've also drank enough that I know my limits well.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Someone put it best: I have "squirrel in a cage" brain. My brain just goes and goes, and I always have to fill it with something: hobbies, lifting, drinking, weed, sex, internet message boards. I realize I cannot change this, so I adjust my ratios to allocate for the best health. That means instead of drinking, I smoke. I get up early at 5am to lift weights. This makes me want to conk out by 10pm every night, rather than staying up and drinking. If you are like me, saying that you can kick your habits is folly. You need to replace them with something.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I'd be careful with this recomendation The benefits of wine/beer come from the non alcohol components. Alcohol itself has very little health benefits. People and studies are quick to forget that alcohol is only "harmless" with a normal working body, which won't stay as such if there is regular intake of alcohol. Also most studies also heavily focus in liver and usually forget the heart and the brain.

Also the cutoff point is usually 1 red wine bottle (13% alcohol)) per week. Any amount of alcohol above that will have adverse effects eventually. (i'm being a bit too objective here , for example if you are a small lady, that would probably be harmful)

My point is if you are not drinking alcoholic beverages because you like it then you should stop and drink something healthy like water. Don't drink because it has "health benefits".

Oh for sure. I'd never tell people to drink it FOR any health benefits. I was just saying that someone just having a drink or two here and there with dinner doesn't really need to be worrying about it in threads about moderating drinking. At worst it's minimal harm, and at best they may get some benefit from the antioxidants etc.

But definitely it's something you should only drink for the taste and/or the buzz and otherwise avoid. For me it's taste first--love beer (especially a good IPA or Sour) or a good red wine. Buzz second. I don't like getting drunk and have never blacked out. Definitely drank to the point of being sick and very hung over too often in college and grad school etc., but it's been a rare thing the past decade or so. I was super hungover after my 40th B-day last fall, plan on that being the last.

My heavy drinking days since are like 6-8 beers over a long period on a weekend (like 2pm to midnight) and it's mostly just 2-4 beers/glasses of wine otherwise. Once I can drink again after this surgery and recover meds I plan to limit it to 2-4 beers/glasses of wine 2 or 3 times a week at most.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is just not starting drinking early. Never before dinner, and more often not before 8 or 9 PM. I rarely have more than 2-3 unless I start drinking in the afternoon or before dinner. I also had luck limiting any drinking at home to Friday/Saturday evening when hanging out with my wife and not other nights when just gaming alone or online with friends that drink while gaming.

Last edited:

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I almost never get drunk, since I hate that feeling.
But I regularly drink a "little bit" each day.
Like one beer a day.

Still I wonder if that isn't too much, since I really feel an urge if I don't drink alcohol for a day.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
And I don't mean because you woke up with a hangover after a night out. I mean constant drinking, not necessarily in an "cliché" alcoholic way of starting in the mornings and drinking all day long, but simply drinking very regularly.

Looking back, I think I pretty much drank every day of my first three years of university. At the time I really did not think about it and we joked about our alcohol consumption among friends. Most times it was with friends, but all the other days I was alone I had my beer or wine as well.

I always thought I was "better" than those that just drank excessively on weekends, because, with the exception of two incidents in my teens, I never was a fan of those extreme boozing sessions. My parents let me drink wine with them quite early because they thought it was best if I didn't experience alcohol as some kind of "party drug" but rather as means of indulgence, to pair it with food or a nice evening with friends and family. However in the last couple of months it became clearer and clearer to me that my situation may be way worse. It was revealed to me that not only my father is an alcoholic, but also his father and grandfather were alcoholics as well. On a side note, both killed themselves as well. My father is in a tough spot right now as well.

Due to those circumstances I really started to think about how I consume alcohol. In the last couple of months I managed to dial my consumption back by quite a bit, but still, I don't really now how to deal with it. Sometimes I think it would be the best to stop alltogether, but a week later I have changed my decision. Either because I drink while I am in a restaurant or even because I "fall back" into old habits and start drinking alone when I am not feeling good.

So far I have come to the conclusion that alcohol may be the worst drug on the planet, because it is astonishingly socially accepted. Also, I really like it, not necessarily because the effect it has, but also because of the taste and "culture". I love a real good bar, some cocktails you get are absolutely incredible (I had a asparagus infused Martini once which was quite something). Thus I came to the conclusion that I probably should not try to stop drinking, if I still like it. At least for now.

How do you consume alcohol, especially if you gave deeper thought to it or have incurrences of alcoholism in you family? Did you stop alltogether at some point (which point?) or did you manage to set yourself rules on how you could enjoy a drink and the social aspects of it?

During Uni I was in constant fear of becoming an alcoholic. Escpecially since I saw regulars at the social club I was a member of that were clearly too far gone. The type of guy that goes to the supermarket and only buys 3 cans of 12% beer and half a loaf of whitebread.

Technically I think I still was an alcoholic,but nothing worse than my class mates, but now I drink minimally. Like once every two months or something.

Oct 25, 2017
no
I used to have 2-4 drinks every night, maybe for about ten years? That's not counting weekend binges and outings.

Now I can't remember how long it's been since the last one. I switched to one or two daily weed sessions in the evening and feel better now than I have in years.

I drink often but not much. I used to have a beer or glass of wine a night as my post-work treat, but I saw a news report on the drinking problem in Britain last year that said even just having only two 'dry days' a week made a huge difference in your health. I've never felt unhealthy or particularly concerned about my drinking, but it seemed like an easy way to 'be better', so that's what I do now. My dad was an alcoholic so I also figured it was a good step. Plus, taking two days off a week makes me enjoy it more the rest of the days too.

If you're trying to cut back like that and find you're lacking a bit of willpower, just try the two dry day thing and sub in something else for your 'treat'. I try out different teas or maybe a small sweet on those nights. I'm not really bothered either way. With two young kids my liver had ample time to regrow during the pregnancies anyway. :P

Oct 27, 2017
Naltrexone. Anyone who has a drinking problem and has struggled with managing a compulsion for alcohol should look at the Sinclair Method for Naltrexone use.

You dont sound as far gone as I was, but your family history and the fact that you drink when you dont feel good are definitely good enough reasons to stop drinking for good. People who are most likely to judge or react badly to that choice are other people with drinking problems, so dont put any stock there if you're ready to change.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
College. I had multiple "I need to stop doing this" mornings. It waned after I left and these days I don't drink nearly as much. Maybe a drink or two at a restaurant or a party occasionally.

I probably get drunk 2-3 times a year now.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I drink often but not much. I used to have a beer or glass of wine a night as my post-work treat, but I saw a news report on the drinking problem in Britain last year that said even just having only two 'dry days' a week made a huge difference in your health. I've never felt unhealthy or particularly concerned about my drinking, but it seemed like an easy way to 'be better', so that's what I do now. My dad was an alcoholic so I also figured it was a good step. Plus, taking two days off a week makes me enjoy it more the rest of the days too.

If you're trying to cut back like that and find you're lacking a bit of willpower, just try the two dry day thing and sub in something else for your 'treat'. I try out different teas or maybe a small sweet on those nights. I'm not really bothered either way. With two young kids my liver had ample time to regrow during the pregnancies anyway. :P
This is kinda where I'm at now. I found that I was having 1-2 drinks every day because they fit into the social situations I was in. I'm looking to cut it down to maybe only weekends or special occasions. Funny enough I did just buy a bunch of new teas this past weekend. I'll have to use some of them as substitutes. I also got a bunch of flavored seltzer to have a somewhat healthy "different" drink option.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
currently trying to cut back to weekends only. Its not that hard, but when I do drink I really tend to binge.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I think almost everybody in university is at least a minor alcoholic. I know I probably drank waaaaay too much.

Nowadays I'm only drinking if I'm at parties and events, but I used to drink pretty much daily.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A normal nights drinking for me is a bottle of wine, 10 cans of lager. Then i head out and can drink another 4 pints, 8 morgans and coke and 8 zambucas.

I often still wake up drunk and go to the pub the next day as well.

Yeah, i drink too much.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm in the exact same boat. I limit myself to 5 beers a week/2 dry nights. It's very very rare I drink more than one beer a day - maybe a few times a year. I mainly limit myself for the reason you listed - I enjoy it more on the days I do drink.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
At some point in my early 30s I started getting two-day hangovers, and I don't drink nearly as much anymore because it's not worth it. Thursday nights are my social nights so I'll have a few beers and some gin, but that's it for the week pretty much.

Add to the fact that in my 30s I started working a steady career job, got married and had a kid, my days are all really the same now. Every day being the same makes it way too easy to slip into drinking every night if you're not careful. Tbh I'm glad for the two-day hangovers to remind me that I'm not 25 anymore.