• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
So have you ever seen some leaks that you think could be a type of marketing? The thought recently came into mind due to some magic the gathering leaks of new interesting cards.
Basically magic has some really overpowered cards in standard right now and everyone is complaining about then suddenly cards from the new set are leaked that's not out till January.
I mean they could be genuinely leaked but it's awfully good timing to switch the general conversation.

This then got me thinking a out blizzard and how after the Hong Kong stuff all of sudden were hearing all about blizzcon leaks.. Now knowing current blizzard I belive the leaks are legitimate but it does make you think.

So has a game leak ever been a legitimate marketing tactic or do you have any theories?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There was once a thread in which industry professionals spoke and in 99% of cases, no.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
There's no doubt about it. Some of the most obvious, almost cringe inducing ones, were from Ubisoft.

There was once a thread in which industry professionals spoke and in 99% of cases, no.

I don't believe this for a second. You can say that most of the time it' s not, but it isn't 99% of the cases.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There's no doubt about it. Some of the most obvious, almost cringe inducing ones, were from Ubisoft.

I don't believe this for a second. You can say that most of the time it' s not, but it isn't 99% of the cases.
Ok, 99 is perhaps an exaggeration, but it is extremely rare that a leak is on purpose.

People simply like to see narratives where there is usually only incompetence.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the times when it's deliberate it's incredibly obvious. Like The Pokémon Company was very tongue-in-cheek referencing leaks here -

sirfetchd-1187910-1280x0.jpeg

was it because farfetch'd uses a leek because wow the pun

Most of the time though it seems genuine, not a marketing stunt. But I do wonder if very early concept/pre-production leaks are sometimes on the part of frustrated devs/playtesters wanting to essentially give the audience a chance to speak out against certain decisions before the final product is announced. It's basically a free, global user interest survey at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw so many instances where a game got 'censored' or refused classification in some markets and the publisher definitely seemed to leverage that fact. For every one time though, I probably had the tin-foil hat on for every three other times.

F8RGE

EA
Verified
Feb 20, 2018
Stockholm
100%. I even think some leaks and responses to them can cause a project to be re-worked, canceled, or even fast tracked.

lol Anyone from Sega or EA in that thread?

In all the titles I've worked on, never have leaks been used as marketing.

Edit: from experience, leaks are a major pain in the ass to deal with.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Depends on the leak. If something is legit but still vague enough that it doesn't actually say anything major, it might be marketing.

But in cases where a ton of genuine information is leaked, then no it's not.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fair enough. Has there been any case where a weird unique game was in the making and the concept was leaked for marketing research rather than promotion? Or would EA simply bring people in, sign an NDA, give opinions then leave?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I would say it definitely happens but a majority of leaks are not of the company/dev's doing.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
It happened so often with Ubisoft titles for a bit that I felt like it had to be the case, but probably not.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt be surprised if some of the Blizzcon leaks are controlled to take away the attention from the Hong Kong drama.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't leaks as marketing be illegal since you have to disclose if you are marketing in most cases?

I guess leaks would be plausible deniability. But that's more work when companies have no problem spending ass loads in the first place

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
It happened so often with Ubisoft titles for a bit that I felt like it had to be the case, but probably not.

Ubisoft has more "cogwheels" than any other developer, most if not ALL their games are multi-studios - sometimes up to 10 or 12 working on the same game at the same time. That's bound to create leaks, but it sucks for everybody involved.

Devs hate leaks.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

Ubisoft is a huge company that deals with a shit-ton of playtesters pretty much every day for the shit-ton of projects they are working on. The sheer amount of people that know details about each projects going on there is insane. It's bound to happen, but not at all a form of marketing.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Almost certainly not. In the case of larger companies it wouldn't fly for many reasons, not the least of which is that budget likely isn't allocated towards marketing a product at the time leaks would be even potentially "valuable" (that's just my guess, though). What's more, it would be difficult to measure the effectiveness of a leak as a marketing tool - how do you justify such an early marketing push in terms of sales generation? The money is better spent on marketing that directly leads to an increase in sales or builds awareness (to lead to increased sales) later in the development cycle.

There's something to be said for the possibility of leaks happening for market research purposes, potentially in the form of rogue leaks that are intentional but not approved. I guess an example like this would be the 'leaked' Deadpool test footage, which was totally, absolutely, definitely not leaked by Ryan Reynolds to prove interest in the brand on a wider scale. Even at that point, though, I'd be relatively surprised to learn if there was any plan behind the leak. I could see some 'rogue' leaks having occurred in the gaming industry that lead to the realization that brands have a higher interest than originally expected, but I would consider it very unlikely.

I'm sure intentional 'leaks' have happened with smaller/indie companies before, but they should be fairly obviously done as a marketing promotion. Marketing a product is all about controlling the message and presentation, and generally leaks don't showcase the product in the ideal light. It'd be a tough sell to convince a company that showcasing their product in bad quality screenshots, cherry-picked photos, or text-based leaks would somehow improve reception or sales.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single case where the leak seemed controlled, no. If anything, I could see some companies using such leaks for services they are considering but aren't actively working on. Let's say Nintendo is considering changing their approach to software and hardware by selling a monthly see which includes both. 25-30$ bucks per month but you get the latest Nintendo hardware and software day 1. Sending out such questions in mails and such is something that may be answered by people who are already invested in Nintendo and chances are they'd stay no matter what, likewise if they give out this question to a research center it's possible they can't properly tune the audience of people who might be interested in gaming and Nintendo to those levels. With a controlled leak they could see what the public is thinking around social media, gaming websites, communities like this, and it would be free. If the response is positive, enjoy the free word of mouth and get to work. If it's negative, come out 24 hours later to claim you aren't considering anything of the sort and bam, idea shut down, faith in Nintendo restored.

I'm not saying it's happening. All I'm saying is that it sounds reasonably useful.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think insiders that claim to leak or have rumours can be part of marketing.

But leaks themselves, I don't think so.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If they're not, developers and publishers need to hire more creative marketing guys.

Guerilla marketing has been around for a long time, and videogames / the internet are the perfect formats.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I feel like leaks are a good form of player feedback when you're in the designing and planning stage.

Like if Nintendo releases a leak of a DLC fighter for Smash and reads the feedback to see if it's worth pursuing the licensing deal.

Or Assassin's Creed leaks of the next setting and seeing player reactions before settling on a location.

It's almost like free survey data. Of course it would have to be done in the concept phase.

"PersonaFan46: I'm hearing rumblings of the next Persona game being action based"

*outrage ensues*
*Atlus boardroom meeting*

"Yeah we should stick with turn based*.

Oct 29, 2017
Trial Balloons are a very common technique used throughout tech industries, but are actually not common with game development.

Games are not mere pieces of technology, they are an entertainment medium like TV and film. As such, game-related leaks are not beneficial in any way and are unintentional 99% of the time.

It happens so commonly with Ubisoft because they have literally thousands of people working on their own titles that are spread, literally, across the entire world. They are bound to have leaks, its inevitable.

Coincidentally, Ubisoft are also responsible for almost every single leak that we get about new Nintendo consoles prior to their announcement and release.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like leaks are a good form of player feedback when you're in the designing and planning stage.

Like if Nintendo releases a leak of a DLC fighter for Smash and reads the feedback to see if it's worth pursuing the licensing deal.

Or Assassin's Creed leaks of the next setting and seeing player reactions before settling on a location.

It's almost like free survey data. Of course it would have to be done in the concept phase.

"PersonaFan46: I'm hearing rumblings of the next Persona game being action based"

*outrage ensues*
*Atlus boardroom meeting*

"Yeah we should stick with turn based*.

Guess I should go post in that persona thread to give some counterweight then lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
A very tiny fraction maybe are, but most are just forum users believing dumb theories for no reason other than it's more exciting than the boring truth that these leaks were unplanned

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
NDAs are real and breaching them has consequences.

We may not see those consequences cause we're busy absorbing the leaked info

May 18, 2018

Edit: from experience, leaks are a major pain in the ass to deal with.
I can't even imagine. Especially in the fast internet age where one leak is micro-analyzed until people come to an agreement of what it's about then get angry when the thing they made up isn't true.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I could see the answer being yes. It's one thing if it's a totally new project that is literally unknown prior to some major leak, but if it's something dumb like new art or a new expansion detail or something then why not?

Probably has zero impact on the final release and it just gets people guerrilla marketing the game for the devs for free on social media.