• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ants are the winners of life. Fast reproducing, only natural enemy is basically other ants, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the last standing thing on earth are ants. Even then they wouldn't realize everything else is gone cause they'd wage that eternity war with other ants.

To be honest them and bees are like the most "social" animals on earth.

Ah I really wish I was an animal biologist instead of becoming a dumb lawyer

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Ants are the winners of life. Fast reproducing, only natural enemy is basically other ants, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the last standing thing on earth are ants. Even then they wouldn't realize everything else is gone cause they'd wage that eternity war with other ants.
You want real badasses? Bacteriophages.

They kill more than any other form of life on Earth, deadlier than even humans.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A jabbing contest is not a good mode of self-defense against a cassowary, I'm afraid.
I would jab the shit out of it if it came near me. Cassowary would be stunned like this:

ScentedSnarlingBorderterrier-size_restricted.gif

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They can also be massive dicks. We have one near us that on occasion has tried to attack the sparrows in the bushes outside. It seems to be a bit of a thick shit for a peregrine as twice its dived on the bushes unsuccessfully and twice been chased back out by my wife. Cool looking bird though.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Golden eagles are about as fast, using the same hunting behaviour, but are much larger and heavier.
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F72e7e4e6-df66-11e7-a1a7-d23b605d14fb.jpg

Last edited:

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I went to a medieval reenactment at one of the English heritage sites with the family a few years back, they had one of these beautiful animals there during the bird segment.

Watching it dive was an amazing sight

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I, too, have read Animorphs.
Ha! Same thing I thought when I read the thread title. I was like "Oh, I know ALL about peregrine falcons." Tobias got me researching falcons a ton back in the day.
Luckily ten year old me did not have the money nor the resources to become a licensed falconer because ten year old me was pretty confident that I'd be an excellent falcon owner.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Another badass flyer is the Sparrowhawk

Look at how it weaves through obstacles.

Another badass is the Ospreay

Beautiful

I feel so elevated watching this video

Last edited:

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite golden eagle moment in nature docs is that vid where it drags a goat off a cliff

Have you heard of Haast's Eagle?
full_1564212889-artwork.jpg

Extinct eagle from New zealand, would have dwarfed modern eagles. Died out 500 years ago, some think it might be connected to Maori legends of a giant man eating bird. Its believed to have mainly hunted Moa, and died out due to competition with humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_eagle

Impossible to know what hunting tactics it used though.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Have you heard of Haast's Eagle?
full_1564212889-artwork.jpg

Extinct eagle from New zealand, would have dwarfed modern eagles. Died out 500 years ago, some think it might be connected to Maori legends of a giant man eating bird. Its believed to have mainly hunted Moa, and died out due to competition with humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_eagle

Impossible to know what hunting tactics it used though.
Oh I have.

The biggest toughest eagle among those alive AFAIK is Harpy Eagle. Tough mofo with strong ass claws.

Unless the Phillipines Eagle is bigger.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha! Same thing I thought when I read the thread title. I was like "Oh, I know ALL about peregrine falcons." Tobias got me researching falcons a ton back in the day.
Luckily ten year old me did not have the money nor the resources to become a licensed falconer because ten year old me was pretty confident that I'd be an excellent falcon owner.
Um excuse me but ackchyually Tobias was a red tailed hawk. It was Jake who had the falcon morph.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
My company has a falcon cam atop one of our buildings so I've watched them lay eggs and hatch them for a couple of years now (they actually just hatched a few weeks ago). I did not know that they will sometimes kill their kids.

There's one falcon cam that I'm told has a pair that is notorious for offing their young leaving one of the clutch alive year after year.
www.aviary.org

Live Streams | National Aviary

Live streams at the National Aviary are one of the many ways our guests can uniquely experience bird habitats, learn about nesting seasons and more.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone who read "My Side of the Mountain" as a kid knows this to be true :P

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Peregrine Falcons are awesome

On another note, Cheetah's are super overrated. Sure they have high top speeds and accelerations, but the trade off is they're stamina is utter shit so they can only run for about 30 seconds at a time after which they have to just stop for half an hour and do nothing but rest (not even eat) , so even if they're good at catching prey, the prey just gets stolen by a stronger predator like a lion because after running the cheetah is useless and it was never that strong to begin with.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i've known ever since the bird guy brought a peregrine falcon in to show us in elementary school and it took a dump on the floor

cool bird

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread. I've loved peregrine falcons since I was about 10. That duck gif, though. At least it was so fast there was no time to feel pain, right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Falcons are awesome in general, and peregrines are the top of the pile when it comes to falcons. They can even live in downtown areas, which is incredible. Hardy little bastards.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Peregrine Falcons are awesome

On another note, Cheetah's are super overrated. Sure they have high top speeds and accelerations, but the trade off is they're stamina is utter shit so they can only run for about 30 seconds at a time after which they have to just stop for half an hour and do nothing but rest (not even eat) , so even if they're good at catching prey, the prey just gets stolen by a stronger predator like a lion because after running the cheetah is useless and it was never that strong to begin with.

I think cheetahs are cool, but yeah, they're glass cannon wizards with a negative bonus to Constitution.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think cheetahs are cool, but yeah, they're glass cannon wizards with a negative bonus to Constitution.
There are cool things about Cheetahs for sure, but they essentially suffer from being an rpg character who has min maxed one stat to an absurd extent at the expense of actually being able to function in more general situations lol

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
The university I work for has a massive research program for Peregrine Falcons, and have a bunch of cameras set up to monitor them.

I've literally lost days of productivity watching these guys. They're so bad ass.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Did a science report on this dude back in like, elementary school. over 20 years ago. Kept the knowledge of its dive speed being able to pierce the hide of a rhinoceros in my head forever. Almost had some of the hard stats there too. Just a cool ass bird.

Just the image of a bird shooting itself into a rhino is very striking to me.

We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky, and we've got to be careful. Really careful. So we don't trust anyone. Because if they find us... well, we just won't let them find us. The thing you should know is that everyone is in really big trouble. Yeah. Even you.
Oh god damn it

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty fucking awesome yea. Birds of prey in general are cool as fuck.