• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
CSI Miami was almost always shot in California mainly Long Beach. Establishing and aerial shots were Miami but on location was not. But as long as it has Palm Trees, water and beaches,... ehhhh close enough

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if this applies but there is no way you get that view from LaGuardia airport

mAsfEF4xmDhMdYSOngcRJ62EpkianIesBMeJbuhd4Ldx9oNKABMWU-lZivkd1VHut0-uM6wDVXAwuNsf9gAcjiFW3lGnSnf6hPFiVOAL9sHg1XHWN8UHR2_4pkU

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Ending of Catch me if you Can is taking place in a French town (Montrichard) but it was shot in Quebec City. I think the smoke screen is pretty good for anyone who hasn't visited Québec, but we recognized it immediately at the movie theater.

CUWpG5CWsAA627g.jpg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't think it's bad, but rather obvious if you're familiar. But Logan's Run has the protagonists escape to the surface world and they're meant to be in Washington D.C., but you see them in these cool water gardens (which totally match the aesthetic imo) that are actually in Fort Worth.

cM74ePT.jpg

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
A black Mirror episode supposed to be somewhere in Britain but was filmed in Iceland, I'm guessing it was maybe supposed to be set somewhere in Scotland since its somewhat similar to Iceland geographically(lots of rocks and uhh sometimes cold) but the city scenes are very much downtown Reykjavík.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Living in Atlanta where it seems like everything is filmed now, it happens all the time. It was really distracting most recently with the Watchmen HBO series, having actually spent lots of time in Tulsa.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
It was really refreshing when Baby Driver just set the damn movie in Atlanta.

Like, why does every movie have to be set in New York or LA?

6 million people live in Atlanta and they shoot every movie there. It's fine if it's the setting once in awhile.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
That terrible Mark Wahlberg movie Mile 22 is supposed to be set somewhere in Southeast Asia but is clearly Bogota, Colombia. Could tell straight away as I used to live there.
Oh man, that's great. Reminds me of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (the remake) where they go to Bogota, but it's like... a tropical paradise.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This scene from Avengers is supposedly in Stuttgart, Germany - but it was shot entirely in Cleveland, Ohio. I was going to college there while they were filming, so I made sure to keep an eye out for places I recognized when first seeing the movie in the theater. Sure enough, the entire scene is filmed in and around Tower City Center in downtown Cleveland.

It's not terribly noticeable to most folks I think unless you're familiar with Cleveland landmarks - but to me it's just hysterical that they tried to pass it off as Germany because I can't not see Cleveland every single time.

Winter Solider was also filmed in Cleveland, so it was funny seeing Nick Fury tear up what is supposed to be (I think?) NYC, but I'm pretty sure is Euclid Avenue - one of the main streets running through the city. He even passes a few of my old bus stops XD

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Literally any episode of Stargate SG-1 where they left Cheyenne Mountain and were obviously in the pacific northwest and not Colorado.

Sep 14, 2019
I live in DTLA and all the filming doubling as NYC or some other east coast downtown got me scratching my head. I guess it's fine if you're unfamiliar with how they actually look like.

Same with the "The Morning Show," with Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston.

"This place looks very familiar... And the area doesn't look anything like in 'Broad City'..."

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Grove, CA

angel_grove_2.png

Shot on location in suburban LA, or the massive urban sprawl of Tokyo, or some random hill, or some random caves, or a frontier western town when they time traveled that one time

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Ever watched a movie that's supposed to be set in one location but is clearly another? I remember seeing Bloodshot a few weeks ago and a scene in "London" was very clearly filmed in South Africa.

Also I just watched Ip Man 4 and most of the "California" scenes were shot in Preston, England, which I noticed immediately and couldn't stop laughing at:

HyGaG8h.jpg

It was so distracting, especially as most of the cast are clearly English actors pretending to be American, and they just slapped a yellow filter on the screen to try and make it seem a bit more like Cali.

Another example I remember from the TV side is Marvel's Iron Fist, where they go to China I believe, but it was clearly just filmed in the US.

They wanted to make Ip Man 4 look old timey like the 1960s, there's no places that look like that in the US nowadays without making a large set.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a couple of episodes (need to get back to it!), but doesn't Orphan Black supposedly take place in the US? And yet the currency is huge and pink & purple.

Felix Season 5:

My sister and I are orphans, you see, and we could've ended up anywhere. We could've ended up in any family. And if we had, we would've ended up being entirely different people. But my mom, Siobhan, this woman — she chose us as her own. We are who we are because she carried two little London urchins on her wings to Canada. Watching her raise my sister, watching my sister raise her own daughter, finding my biological sister, it's quite mad. It's taught me that we are all mysterious works of chance. Of choice. Of nature vs. nurture. So to my galaxy of women — thank you for the nurture.

But I mean, Toronto landmarks, Ontario plates, and Canadian currency being used throughout the series was clear enough. No American would ever think it was set in the US, and Canadians wouldn't need to be explicitly told it's Toronto when obvious stuff like plates and money is being used so openly.

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man Homecoming and its use of Atlanta for NYC really stood out for me. For the third movie I really really hope they shoot in NYC this time.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Next y'all are going to tell me all my favorite movie characters are portrayed by someone pretending to be them.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the Ghost Rider film that came out in the mid-00s is fucking amazing as a Melbournian. Especially given all the very Melbourne landmarks that wind up as deliberate setpieces.

The fact that you have an L-Class locomotive standing in for a Diesel at Newport Workshops just adds to the punch, if you're a gunzel.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about movies but I laugh every damn time Hawaii 5-0 had to get Hawaii to double Afghanistan, Vietnam and other "hostile" Southeast Asian countries

"South Korea" in a pretty iconic Hawaiian location

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's one perk of people barely filming here. I would probably recognize something but for foreign cities like most of the thread I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
The climax of Inception is set at the downtown LA Department of Water and Power. The architecture is extended upward to make it look taller. For someone who used to be in and around the city center often, it definitely took me out of the dream.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Homeland kinda racist about this, like modern middle Eastern cities being portrait as desert shanty towns?

There was this BBC drama where the reverse of bad location occurred. The drama, Cold Feet, had an episode where the main character was in Singapore. So they actually came here to film on location scenes but their post production house thought the location was too English and thought is looked like"English Town" of Singapore, because the street names were in English and there were Caucasians walking in the background. So they digitally altered the scenes to make it look "more authentic". They thought it was filmed in Manchester despite the background featuring Singapore places like the Marina Bay Sands.

Which was super stupid and racist because a large number of streets in Singapore are named after the British who colonised us.

Cold Feet Singapore scenes had to be digitally altered because they 'didn't look enough like Singapore' | Radio Times

Even though the ITV drama filmed abroad, they apparently picked a part of the island city-state that look just like England...

However, after the production returned from filming, what they had in the can didn't look quite enough like authentic Singapore – because they had shot the scenes in what looked like 'Englishtown'. English signs, British tourists and more featured in the footage, according to the visual effects maestros of post-production house Molinare.

"They actually did shoot this in Singapore, but for some reason they shot it in 'Englishtown'," Molinare's Daniel Mark Millar told the crowd at London's Visual Effects Festival yesterday of a key scene from the smash-hit drama. "You know, we have a Chinatown in London, they have an Englishtown in Singapore."

He added, "When we saw the rushes we thought they actually had filmed this in Manchester, but we only belatedly discovered they really did shoot it in Singapore."

Mark Millar was tasked with making the scenes actually look like they really were abroad. This meant changing English signs (in actuality how they would normally appear in English-speaking Singapore) to Chinese, adding specific buildings into the background and removing both telltale road markings and British tourists, all to create the illusion that the production had filmed, er, where it had actually filmed.

"We had to make it look a bit more like Singapore – given it was Singapore," Mark Millar explained.

mustsharenews.com

Singapore Looks So English, CGI Was Used To Change Street Signs And Remove Tourists For British TV Show

ITV production Cold Feet flew all the way to film in Singapore, but had to spend money using CGI to make scenes look "more like Singapore".

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I guess it's a good thing I don't really notice these things. Some of the things I'm reading in this thread are legit new to me.
CSI Miami was almost always shot in California mainly Long Beach. Establishing and aerial shots were Miami but on location was not. But as long as it has Palm Trees, water and beaches,... ehhhh close enough
I watched like every episode and never once thought it would be in Long Beach. But I guess I haven't been there much to really notice the locations. At least CSI:NY was filmed in New York... right?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
don't know if this counts but Thor getting a tube back to Greenwich in Thor 2 broke my brain because there's no tube station for miles around.
It does because TFL has a specific train set for Underground scenes that actually is a vestige of a pre-extension Jubilee Line. It's closer to Charing Cross.

Filming on the London Underground

At Insider London we offer real industry insight through company visits, workshops and educational tours.

The one that gets me is Alias. Where every locale the Bristows visit in the world can be found conveniently in SoCal. They don't even bother with making sure the vehicles are legit. Example; the Ford Focus SVT was used in a couple of chases set in Germany. But it's a NA-only model. Europe had the ST's and RS's.

Also, in a neat reverse way, the opening card for Scott Pilgrim kinda set the tone for the rest of the film. And I loved it.)

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a couple of episodes (need to get back to it!), but doesn't Orphan Black supposedly take place in the US? And yet the currency is huge and pink & purple.
It's left ambiguous in the actual show intentionally, but given it's a Canadian show starring a Canadian playing everyone it's probably taking place in Canada.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
The Netherlands in Spiderman Far from Home. It was so bad. The whole audience was laughing in disbelief. Some farmer village where everyone was wearing clogs.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There's an episode of Prison Break where they go to St. Thomas hospital in Akron, Ohio, but it's definitely not St. Thomas and is obviously a hospital in California or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Ending of Catch me if you Can is taking place in a French town (Montrichard) but it was shot in Quebec City. I think the smoke screen is pretty good for anyone who hasn't visited Québec, but we recognized it immediately at the movie theater.

CUWpG5CWsAA627g.jpg

Damn, I've been to Quebec City multiple times and Catch Me if you Can is one of my favorite movies and I honestly never realized this.

Oct 25, 2017
2008_3_25_qp-flagovercompensation.jpg

Short Circuit 2 was filmed in Toronto and had a US citizenship ceremony at Queen's Park which is the Ontario Legislature lol

toronto-sams-e1313588435801.jpg

Hulk vs Abomination in "Harlem" but it's Yonge St in Toronto.........and everything in this shot but Zanzibar is pretty different now

maxresdefault.jpg

Batman chasing Joker and Harley down Toronto's Yonge St in Suicide Squad

2008_10_01_toronto-boom.jpg

Raccoon City gets blown up in Resident Evil Apocalypse but it's just Toronto :(

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Man: Far From Home's "Netherlands" location is some borderline discrimination. It's really odd to me how they specifically chose to feature the name of an existing small Dutch town (Broek op Langdijk), but instead of actually filming there, they just created "Stereotypical medieval Dutch-style town square" in a studio.

And then Parket ends up in a huge tulip field, because of course he does. Note: huge tulip fields like that don't exist in the Netherlands.

Jackie Chan's Who Am I

The car chase begins in South Africa and ends in The Netherlands, lmao.
The most beautiful thing about that one is how it moves in between South Africa and Rotterdam from shot to shot. It was really bizarre for me as a kid to see they were suddenly in the mall area that I visited weekly in one shot and then they were in South Africa again.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
When they cross the border and Laredo in Terminator: Dark Fate

I can tell you by a fact that there aren't any kind of High Ground around that area and there isn't any wall in there too lol

lurksalot

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Every scene in all three seasons of Ash vs Evil Dead where they tried to pass Auckland, NZ off as Michigan. There were scenes of nature in shades of green I have never seen with my eyes as a Michigan resident.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
But I mean, Toronto landmarks, Ontario plates, and Canadian currency being used throughout the series was clear enough. No American would ever think it was set in the US, and Canadians wouldn't need to be explicitly told it's Toronto when obvious stuff like plates and money is being used so openly.
I'm one of those Americans! I started the first episode again and I see what caused my confusion, and it seems like it's intentional. The first episode starts with Sarah arriving at a station at dusk in a very clean train car (so nice that a little girl is shocked to hear the word "shit"; clearly not an American train); there's an over-the-air announcement of the arrival of a train bound for New York City; one moment Sarah is in a bright modern train station, then cut to her in a much grimier, more dimly-lit location (with a completely different OTA announcement in the background), on the phone saying, "I'm back in town." That's the first minute of the show. The next person she meets says they haven't seen each other in a long time. It's fifteen more minutes before cars with Ontario license plates get shown. Maybe it's some half-assed localization, but the beginning is written to make viewers assume it takes place in NYC (that's of the episode I watched on US Amazon Prime; it might be different in the original/other versions).

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Not a film, but so many BBC shows are filmed in Cardiff and it shows.
The worst offender was early Dr Who (revival) where they were just running around Queens Street and barely hid it.
tumblr_n831r5RTiv1s56ooco4_1280-1200x855.jpg

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Mission Impossible 2 infamous Seville location. Not exactly what this thread is about or because you can recognise it as some other place, but because they set up this bizarre Semana Santa in Seville where people are BURNING their images in the processions (imagine that lol, people would go crazy if anything happened to them), mixing it up with Valencia's Fallas (in which they do burn wooden satirical statues made specifically for that purpose). There are some tradicional costumes from the Fallas around and I think I even spot some people in Sanfermines clothing. Also the song they are singing has nothing to do with either celebration and makes it even more hilarious. The whole thing is fantastic.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody asked, but a lot of the NYC settings in Ghostbusters 2016 were actually filmed in Boston (pretty crazy to think they could pull that off), and they built an MTA subway set and a Times Square replica on a soundstage.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The intro of World War Z in "Philadelphia" is pretty clearly shot in and around George Square in Glasgow with some street fixtures replaced and buildings added in the background.

Pretty jarring to any scots (or anyone that's been in Glasgow for any length of time) as they don't do much to hide it!

article-1352455895027-15ee78ac000005dc-176674_466x310.jpg

The City Chambers is on the left of this shot and there's the cenotaph (a big war memorial) right behind where the camera is.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm from Manchester, UK, and there's a particular part of the city that's been used to stand in for old NYC in a few different films. Parts of Captain America: The First Avenger were filmed there, and it's bizarre to watch.

Also, wherever they filmed The Boys looked nothing like NYC. I'm not sure they even tried to get continuity there.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Wasn't Homeland kinda racist about this, like modern middle Eastern cities being portrait as desert shanty towns?

007 Quantum of Solace did this. Part of the film supposedly takes place in La Paz, Bolivia (which has the largest metro area in Bolivia and it is a fairly modern city with skyscrapers and the rest) but was instead filmed in some little Chilean village that looked nothing like La Paz or Bolivia for that matter.

TheCombatButler

Alt Account
Apr 7, 2020
16784c50c89f5c496.jpg

showing the one building that cologne is known most for in a shot pretending to be another city is kinda funny.

this is from the a-team

€: dang it, was already beaten to it!

Last edited: