• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone else think back to the past and realize they were an asshole to someone or a group of people? Even though you didn't realize at the time?

For me, it was a few years ago in high-school, there was a girl who was pretty into me, but I was oblivious to it (Too busy playing video games), she was learning drums and eventually she played them at church, I didn't think much about it, but about a week later I complimented her about it, to which she replied, "I was wondering if you were going to say anything about it" and being a huge dumbass I said "I didn't really see much reason too." and didn't even realize why it was such a bad idea to say that until much later, and it didn't hit me until recently how terrible I really was. I even got multiple chances later on to make up for but I just kept being an oblivious dumbass that would make fun of her.

Anyone else have a good story about being an ass without realizing until years later?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 14, I called a girl in class a "2 cent whore" and threw some pennies at her. I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a whore was at the time!

I like to think I'm a better person now

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yes. Frustration and personal problems/family problems made me an asshole to someone who isn't with us anymore, and I deeply regret it/hate myself for it.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A old woman in my neighborhood always offered me cookies and to eat them at her front porch, and I always denied her request.

Years later, according to my mother, her husband died that same year, and her children left for college.

It never dawned on me that she just needed someone to talk to.

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
I reflect back on it yea.

A lot of moments where I could have said or did something to help someone but choose not to because of I selfishly wanted to see drama, felt afraid, or felt like helping them wouldn't benefit me in anyway.

Looking back at it, I was a extremely shitty, petty and self absorbed Teen/Early20Something year old.

Don't know how my parents and friends put up with me during that phase.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I cringe at some of the shit my younger self did not just asshole stuff that and some dense shit

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Mostly unintentionally, but I still dabble in being a deliberate asshole if the other party instigates.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely, eventually that cost me a marriage, which ironically finally turned me into a much better human being. I guess I needed that hard kick on the ass.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. During some of my low points with depression/anxiety I used to lash out randomly at people, especially my parents.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I was a total asshole for most of my teenage years and early 20s. Had no respect for almost anyone. Would say anything to get a rise out of someone. Openly told people I had a death wish (I did). I found some old stuff I typed I saved on an ancient HDD a few months ago and hoo boy was it shameful.

One of my friends used to tell people that the closer someone was to me as a friend, the meaner I was to them. Accurate statement.

I'm still an asshole, too. I just try to guide myself better these days. Thank God I finally acknowledged my mental health & family issues and took steps to correct course.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There were many years where i was problematic and wrote it off as "just trolling." I look back now and see it for what it was. I make no qualms about it. I was a stupid jerk. All i can do going forward is to try and do well consistently enough, to make my actions speak louder than any "i am repentant" words can be.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It feels awful, but that's how you learn and grow as person. I've had plenty "oh fuck, that was terrible, obnoxious, creepy, shitty, etc."

When I was 14, I called a girl in class a "2 cent whore" and threw some pennies at her. I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a whore was at the time!

I like to think I'm a better person now
Jesus Christ!

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I've said some awful shit in the past and thankfully I was smart enough to realize that it was awful and being mad/depressed/whatever wasn't enough to justify acting like shit. Feeling like shit and wanting others to feel the same or worse seems great when you're a depressed teen but thankfully I got some help and with some self reflection I grew out of that horseshit.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I was a "Class Clown" in high school, which I now realize means "Class Asshole." Disrupting class, always going for the joke, cruel to people I didn't like, not considering people's feelings. I was liked, but I look back and cringe and wonder why I couldn't have just been a nice person to everyone.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, for sure, but i put myself on a better path a long time ago and worked hard to better myself. I mean, i'm still working on myself and make mistakes, we all do and likely will, but its that self awareness that helps.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threw cheeseburgers at fat girls in high school while driving down Main Street.

I wouldn't do that nowadays, so maybe a better person.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yeah, I was a fucking asshole, but I try to chalk it up to being a teen without a developed frontal lobe. I got much better once out of high school and was alone for a few years. I met my fiancé in 2013 and she has made me even better as a person since she's like a sweet church going girl who loves children and animals. She has picked up some of my assholish habits that I still try to shake off, which makes me cringe and regret my teenage years even more lol. If I had met her in high school she would of kicked me in the nuts and hated me. It's funny in a way how time changes honestly.

A old woman in my neighborhood always offered me cookies and to eat them at her front porch, and I always denied her request.

Years later, according to my mother, her husband died that same year, and her children left for college.

It never dawned on me that she just needed someone to talk to.

tenor.gif

Spoon

Nov 26, 2017
There's definitely times that I didn't realize I was, but I'm even more ashamed that there's probably more times that I was intentionally an asshole.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Tons of time sadly, people were asshole to me when i was younger so i did the dumb thing of also being an asshole to some people myself!

I'm better now, but i still regret some things

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Constantly. But it's either that or lying to folks/just shutting up and going along with stuff I don't want to be a part of, so I'm ok with it.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yep. But repeating that stuff might get me banned.

Funny thing is i always generally thought of myself as a good person and i always tried to do the right thing. I sometimes even succeeded.

It just took a lot of personal growth for what i thought was the right thing and what actually is the right thing to line up.

Oct 25, 2017
To a good friend when I was in my teens. We always used to bitch that we had to pay for everything with him and stuff. Never really occurred to us that his family was a lot worse off than we knew, from 18 to like 25 he was paying for most of the family bills.

I should have realized and feel bad for being a dick about what was a relatively minor inconvience to me. I always try to pay for stuff when we hang out now, not in a charity case way, but just in a "eh don't worry about it dude, I got this one" since I know he's hurting a bit since his divorce.