• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Today i saw Wario64 had posted on twitter that Mass Effect DLC is on sale and it had me thinking about Xbox BC on my Xbox One X. I started looking into what is exactly available to play via the BC Xbox site and MAN was i hit with nostalgia hard. During times like these im looking for comfort in just about anything and since i am in a pretty decent spot since im still working i thought i can look for a few on Ebay. Boy did i find some, I found 26 in fact. I was so surprised on the prices of some of the items i had to do a double take because of how low they were however, Stubbs the Zombie is going for around $75! I only paid more than $10 for a few items like Conker Live and Reloaded and OG Xbox Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory CIB. All in all i spent a good bit of money and i feel as if i acquired some things that were lost to myself.

This is what i was able to pick up

•Splinter Cell - Xbox CIB
•Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - Xbox CIB
•Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Limited Edition - Xbox CIB
•Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Xbox CIB
•Splinter Cell: Double Agent Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 CIB
•Splinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 CIB
•Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Xbox 360 CIB
•SSX3 - Xbox CIB
•Breakdown - Xbox CIB
•Batman: Arkham Origins - Xbox 360 CIB
•Jade Empire Limited Edition - Xbox CIB
•Prince of Persia (08) - Xbox 360 CIB
•Prince of Persia : Sands of Time - Xbox CIB
•Crimson Skies: HIgh Road to Revenge - Xbox CIB
•Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio Future - Xbox CIB
•Conker: Live and Reloaded - Xbox CIB
•GoldenEye Rogue Agent - Xbox CIB
•Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict - Xbox CIB
•Star Wars: Republic Commando - Xbox CIB
•Burnout Revenge - Xbox 360 CIB
•Split/Second - Xbox 360 CIB
•Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - Xbox 360/Xbox One Case Sealed
•Fallout 3 GOTY Edition - Xbox 360/Xbox One Case Sealed
•Skate 3 - Xbox 360/Xbox One Case Sealed
•Shadowrun - Xbox 360 Sealed
•Bully: Scholarship Edition - Xbox 360/Xbox One Case sealed

Any of you guys during this time reach back in time a little bit for some good ol nostalgia and comfort?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
With the Polymega on the way I've been looking for some classic PS1/Neo Geo CD/Turbografx games and it's a little frustrating how expensive US copies of those games are compared to their Japanese counterparts, when I have to imagine the latter got a smaller print run. Doesn't help that I'm in the UK and there are basically no listings for NTSC-U games...

That said, I did manage to get a copy of Pac-Land for the Turbografx that's inexplicably still sealed for really cheap - I didn't even realize it was sealed until after I won the bid. I love Pac-Land, though (even though it's kind of terrible) so it's a fun thing to have on my shelf, at least.

At this point I just want to round out a collection of games Squaresoft published in the US for the PlayStation, but that's gonna take a couple years.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
With the Polymega on the way I've been looking for some classic PS1/Neo Geo CD/Turbografx games and it's a little frustrating how expensive US copies of those games are compared to their Japanese counterparts, when I have to imagine the latter got a smaller print run. Doesn't help that I'm in the UK and there are basically no listings for NTSC-U games...

That said, I did manage to get a copy of Pac-Land for the Turbografx that's inexplicably still sealed for really cheap - I didn't even realize it was sealed until after I won the bid. I love Pac-Land, though (even though it's kind of terrible) so it's a fun thing to have on my shelf, at least.

At this point I just want to round out a collection of games Squaresoft published in the US for the PlayStation, but that's gonna take a couple years.
Dear.....god....I just looked up the Polymega after reading your post. This is some awesome cabinet clearing shit right here lol. I can only imagine building a list of games i would be searching for to use on that thing.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
About 80% of my collection is from Ebay. I've gotten some amazing deals over the years. I remember getting 50 PS3 games for $50. I don't think there was a single sports game.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

I have a similar situation. I recently bought a sealed copy of Xybots for the Atari Lynx even though I don't even have a Lynx. I bought it because I always loved Xybots in the arcade and that was the only standalone release of the game in NA for consoles or handhelds. NES and Genesis ports were both planned but went unreleased. Sure I already own the arcade version on a couple different compilations but I just wanted a Xybots game sitting on my shelf.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
About 80% of my collection is from Ebay. I've gotten some amazing deals over the years. I remember getting 50 PS3 games for $50. I don't think there was a single sports game.
I would be terrified, i saw some large collections of xbox games CIB but they were parting them out instead of selling it as a single unit. I may have taken the plunge though if i saw a few goodies. Find any good stuff in the batch you purchased?
I have a similar situation. I recently bought a sealed copy of Xybots for the Atari Lynx even though I don't even have a Lynx. I bought it because I always loved Xybots in the arcade and that was the only standalone release of the game in NA for consoles or handhelds. NES and Genesis ports were both planned but went unreleased. Sure I already own the arcade version on a couple different compilations but I just wanted a Xybots game sitting on my shelf.
I did that years ago with Metal Gear 2. This was before they put it into MGS3 Subsistance. I have it somewhere put away however, i should dig that up and display it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at your list yeah you picked the stuff going for cheap. Jump down a different rabbit hole and you're taking out a second loan just to buy Saturn games

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I used to buy a bunch of my games via eBay, tend to look for individual sellers who cared for their stuff and were selling off a collection. Got a lot of good GameCube, PSP, PS2 titles that way.

Actually funny to see this thread because I went back to eBay last week for first time in a long time and picked up:
- Used aqua 3DS in good shape
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Never had a DS system so looking forward to exploring the library there, I'm sure eBay will figure into it haha.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Don't fall into the wrong hole. Rare retro games can destroy you.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to leap far down those rabbit holes but living in Canada leaves me scant options cause the prices of most of those games you've listed are often obscene or those games are barely unavailable, disc only, or only sold within the US. Especially certain original Xbox games. Conker Live and Reloaded for 10 bucks physical? I could only dream.

I'm glad I spent the past few years snatching up lesser known games from the 360/PS3 before they too will become scarce and inflate in price from rarity.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering if the current crisis is going to cause the prices of retro games to drop due to people having to sell off their collections. Apparently the beginning of the previous recession was a great time to buy retro games.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I used to buy a bunch of my games via eBay, tend to look for individual sellers who cared for their stuff and were selling off a collection. Got a lot of good GameCube, PSP, PS2 titles that way.

Actually funny to see this thread because I went back to eBay last week for first time in a long time and picked up:
- Used aqua 3DS in good shape
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Never had a DS system so looking forward to exploring the library there, I'm sure eBay will figure into it haha.
Dude, there are so many good DS Games out there! I am not sure what prices are like nowadays but im sure you can find some goodies for cheap!

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

No wonder Raspberry Pi gaming is so popular

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I would be terrified, i saw some large collections of xbox games CIB but they were parting them out instead of selling it as a single unit. I may have taken the plunge though if i saw a few goodies. Find any good stuff in the batch you purchased?

I did that years ago with Metal Gear 2. This was before they put it into MGS3 Subsistance. I have it somewhere put away however, i should dig that up and display it.
It was someone selling their collection. It was basically best of ps3 so I got stuff like uncharted, resistance, silent hill, castlevania. It was actually amazing the titles I got.

I also just pocked up a ps1 lot for $30. It came with final doom and silent hill 1. Silent hill 1 is like a $50 game now

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
It was someone selling their collection. It was basically best of ps3 so I got stuff like uncharted, resistance, silent hill, castlevania. It was actually amazing the titles I got.

I also just pocked up a ps1 lot for $30. It came with final doom and silent hill 1. Silent hill 1 is like a $50 game now
Good shit dude, Im currently going around Ebay and just scouting for a few things that are rare to get an idea. IM done buying for a while but its nice to windowshop

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dear.....god....I just looked up the Polymega after reading your post. This is some awesome cabinet clearing shit right here lol. I can only imagine building a list of games i would be searching for to use on that thing.

Yup, physical hardware takes up too much space for me, plus you need TV convertors or an old CRT. The Analog systems look great, and are more faithful, but Polymega also allows for fan patches, so it's great for importing.

No wonder Raspberry Pi gaming is so popular

Yeah, I tried to go the Raspberry Pi route once but it hit me with choice paralysis. Having physical media helps me complete games rather than simply poke around in them for a couple minutes. I imagine the Polymega will offer similar functionality once fans get their hands on it, though.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
no. but i went to japan at least yearly between 2001 - 2006 and would always pick up lots of neat Famicom/Super Famicom/Mega Drive/PC-Engine/Saturn/PS1 shit based on packaging alone. Honestly too much for me to recall in some instances, and some stuff ended up netting me lots of cash when i sold a bulk of my physical game collection years down the road.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
That JSRF/Sega GT 2002.... I want to buy an OG XBox again so I can relive that disc. Still sad that I sold it years ago. I put more hours into that one disc than any other disc I can think of.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I do that but never go all out like you did. I look really careful at the items because I care waaaay too much about the condition of the boxes and discs. If I see only a small wrinkle or something on the box I am not buying, even if it was a good offer.

I became very selective in what I buy anyway since many games that I bought from ebay were just flops for me personally so I just sold them again a week or two after acquiring them. I got tired of this so I only buy if I am sure I really need that game in my physical collection.

Oct 26, 2017
I miss the days of browsing second hand game shops and just never knowing what you'll see. Nowadays anything rare or interesting probably doesn't even make it to the shelf, just snapped up then sold off on ebay for full price.

Getting the bus to the local game shop to trawl for Mega Drive games once every month or two used to be such a thrill for me in the late '90s. Some visits were better than others, but my best day ever saw me walking out with Dune II: Battle for Arrakis, Rocket Knight Adventures and Story of Thor, all boxed in great condition for less than £25 combined.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
no. but i went to japan at least yearly between 2001 - 2006 and would always pick up lots of neat Famicom/Super Famicom/Mega Drive/PC-Engine/Saturn/PS1 shit based on packaging alone. Honestly too much for me to recall in some instances, and some stuff ended up netting me lots of cash when i sold a bulk of my physical game collection years down the road.
Holy shit thats so cool! I was planning to go on a Disney parks trip leaving from here in Orlando to Paris, Shanghai,Hong Kong then Japan! That was a big goal of mine was to go explore and see if i can just find a few cool NES or SNES games.

That JSRF/Sega GT 2002.... I want to buy an OG XBox again so I can relive that disc. Still sad that I sold it years ago. I put more hours into that one disc than any other disc I can think of.
Its not BC but thats 100% why i bought it. The memories of just booting that shit up is near euphoric for me.

I do that but never go all out like you did. I look really careful at the items because I care waaaay too much about the condition of the boxes and discs. If I see only a small wrinkle or something on the box I am not buying, even if it was a good offer.

I became very selective in what I buy anyway since many games that I bought from ebay were just flops for me personally so I just sold them again a week or two after acquiring them. I got tired of this so I only buy if I am sure I really need that game in my physical collection.
I only purchased ones with really good pics. The Chaos Theory CE has a ding but i was willing to take it. I always wanted it when it came out but i was not in a place to purchase it. Cant wait to watch the G4 Behind the Scenes video lol!

I miss the days of browsing second hand game shops and just never knowing what you'll see. Nowadays anything rare or interesting probably doesn't even make it to the shelf, just snapped up then sold off on ebay for full price.

Getting the bus to the local game shop to trawl for Mega Drive games once every month or two used to be such a thrill for me in the late '90s. Some visits were better than others, but my best day ever saw me walking out with Dune II: Battle for Arrakis, Rocket Knight Adventures and Story of Thor, all boxed in great condition for less than £25 combined.

Sadly i did not have too many second hand stores here in orlando that did not treat people like crap or way over price games. I would love that experience personally.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Welp, your boy jumped off the deep end and got some more stuff. Some of these prices were nutty and i could not pass it up.
•Kingdom of Amalur - Xbox 360/Xbox One Case sealed
•The Chronicles of Riddic Escape from Butcher Bay - Xbox CIB
•Mad Dash Racing - Xbox CIB
•Full Spectrum Warrior - Xbox Sealed
•Skate - Xbox 360 CIB
•Mechassault - Xbox CIB
•Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf Limited Edition - Xbox CIB
•The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Xbox 360 Sealed
•SSX - Xbox 360
•Halo 2 Limited Collectors Edition - Xbox CIB
•Halo: Combat Evolved - Xbox CIB
•Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack - Xbox CIB
•Whacked! - Xbox CIB
•Oddworld: Strangers Wrath - Xbox CIB
•Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee - Xbox CIB
•Scrapland - Xbox CIB
•Phantom Dust - Xbox CIB
•Dead Space - Xbox 360 CIB
•Dead Space 2 - Xbox 360 CIB
•Dead Space 3 - Xbox 360 Sealed
•Splinter Cell 3D - N3DS CIB
•Splinter Cell: Essentials - PSP CIB
•Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition - PS3 CIB
•Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects -Xbox CIB
•Advent Rising - CIB
•Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox CIB
•Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - Xbox CIB
•Brutal Legend - Xbox 360 Sealed
•Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition - Xbox 360 CIB
•Dragon Age: Origins Collectors Edition - Xbox 360 CIB
•Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - Xbox 360 Sealed
•Metroid:Samus Returns Limited Edition - N3DS Sealed

Im still amazed at the prices these games are at. I got Phantom Dust, Whacked, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, Oddworld Munch's Oddysee and Scrapland for less than $45 complete in box. I also cant wait to win that $1,000,000 from Advent Rising! Majesco is still around right?

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I used to be more active on Amazon Marketplace and eBay for pre-disc based consoles, but now both sites have been flooded with repros and bootlegs so it's rare I'm buying from online, and when I do I'm extra-picky.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Some sucker sold me Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Tales of Symphonia together for like $80 a few years back.

Fire Emblem by itself is $300+ now.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get out of that hole months ago when I got a used PS3. Bought a bunch PS move games and some rare titles. Have barely played any of them because I wanted to deal with PS4 backlog first :/
It's tough to haggle a good price but you can get crazy lucky if your vigilant for new listed titles, managed to get some expensive titles at cheaper prices.