• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Capcom 90% of the time. Their only game from this gen that I didn't buy was Infinite.

Nintendo EAD Tokyo

From Software

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Every game by Tetsuya Takahashi (Xeno games).
Every "Souls" like game by From Soft.
Every Blizzard game.

No regrets so far, those get a free pass from me every day.

Also FF, even if XV made me question future day one purchases.
Also not a dev but every Disgaea title should be mine, even if I barely scratch the surface.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just about anything from M2. The recent Konami collections are the only time I hesitated due to the reported bugs. In general though, very safe bets.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I remember buying Ghost Trick just because of how much I loved Ace Attorney. Didn't care that much if the game ended up being just OK.
(It ended up being great, of course)
Perhaps M&L Dream Team as well, but up until that point all the games had been great.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blind Thrust is not an Indy game where you play a ninja that's just suffered a cut over their eyes. As the blood clouds your vision, you have one attempt to kill your enemy before they finish you.

As the game progresses, more and more obstacles are thrown at you to further impede your vision.
Nah, it's when you play Genital Jousting with the screen turned off.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Dark Souls so much that I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne basically on blind trust.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Bethesda games. I bought Skyrim and Fallout 4 on release day. I actually preordered them. Same goes for all Bioware games until Andromeda. Bought Andromeda on release day and while it wasn't utterly horrible or anything and I still enjoyed it, it left many things to be desired. Biggest regret was actually buying Imperator Rome out of blind trust, it's REALLY boring and I think most people stopped playing it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything Supergiant Makes.
Anything Kamiya makes.
Anything Itsuno makes.
Anything Yasumi Matsuno makes.
Day 1 on any fighting game from french bread, capcom, Namco, NRS, or ASW.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I only buy games that interest me, not because of a developer. I have many favorite developers and I won't buy their games if what they make don't interest me.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought Giga Wrecker because of the GameFreak pedigree. It's....ugly & interesting.

Supergiant and M2 immediately come to mind. Back in the day, it was Sega and Working Designs that i bought games on those names alone.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I'm assuming that meant to read "trust" in a dev.

Any Soulsborne game.

God o' War (2018)

For devs I will buy future titles based on trust after playing only one game:

Anything Red Hook

Anything Unknown Worlds

EDIT: Oh yeah, and anything Concerned Ape

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Pyre, from Supergiant Games.

Was a mistake.

Same here. I used to be a massive Supergiant fanboy, to the point where I bought pretty much every item they had for sale at their store, and copies of their games for every platform on which they were released.

Loved Bastion, and Transistor improved on everything when compared to its predecessor, becoming one of my favorite games of all time. So, I assumed that Pyre would continue the trend. Nope. It turned out to be a "sports" game hidden within a Visual Novel, which is a genre that I absolutely detest.

Gone were the lovely narration (an announcer during the matches just isn't the same thing), the story told through gameplay, the different loadouts... Even the ending sucked (considering that you don't really get to see it).

Then they pulled all their shenanigans with the Epic Game Store. Safe to say that I'm never buying a game from them again.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, absolutely. These days, you hardly have to, but I still do for a few. Retro, From, Platinum, Wayforward.

And being burned by trusting the company name is how I learned the difference between a developer and a publisher, way back in the day.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Pretty much all of my games.

If a developer consistently makes games I enjoy, then I'm going to end up trusting that their next game will be good too.

I've only ever been burned once (Sticker Star which was returned), but so far it has been working just fine for me.

If I don't know the companies involved, I'll do some research.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
As far as indie developers, Playdead and Supergiant are no question at this point.

First parSony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. Since I've made my own money I've bought every one of their games at launch.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo EAD, Retro Studios,, and a few Indie studios. BioWare used to be there too, but...

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Sekiro. And never again.

I loved dark souls but I don't love from. Sekiro let me down hard. Will wait on their next game.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Almost funny seeing people mention Pyre of an example of blindly trusting a game and ending up burned by it, because I had almost the exact opposite happen with the game. Never would have given it a shot if it hadn't been made by Supergiant and I ended up loving it. Honestly and truly think they're some of the greatest indie developers out there and are doing fantastic things with the medium. Did it again with Hades, considering I've never purchased an Early Access game and roguelikes are almost never my thing, but I haven't had the chance to play it since I bought it.

The price change debacle was unfortunate but it hasn't really swayed me to boycott the studio.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Ironically despite loving Runman: Race Around the World and Towerfall, I still haven't picked up Celeste. The only games I ever pre-order are the Pokemon games, and mainly because I know my wife and I both will like them.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Double Fine (Except for Space-Base DF9), Bought almost every single one of their games. Will continue to do so as they consistently put out some of my all time favourites.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
i will purchase every derek yu game he chooses to release

This for sure, but for me this also extends to some studios/devs solely on the basis of how they make games (regardless of quality or how much I enjoyed a recent title), or what stories/styles they are trying to portray. I even do it for some developers who consistently make games I do not joy or play more than an hour, just because I want to support what they bring to games for others.

I also don't fault anyone at all for not being in the "you have my blind unconditional support" - there are a lot of factors at play. Some people don't have the fiscal luxury of that kind of blind faith; others might have had faith for someone other publisher or title and been burned bad.

From the other side of the coin: as a publisher, having a player base that trusts you blindly is something you dream of, but you absolutely do not take lightly or assume will occur. The only thing more valuable than traditional objective business stuff like revenue, MAU and talent is trust, irregardless if it's trust towards purchase intent, trust towards satisfaction, or even just trust towards competency.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Most Sony games (guerilla, naughty dog, santa monica, sucker punch, mediamolecule, polyphony digital, and Bend now).

From software too.
CDPR just because of witcher 3.
Rockstar (rdr, gtav, max payne)

I have rarely been disappointed by them.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Demon's Souls because I loved Otogi 1 and 2.

Best blind buy, but I know the dev purchase ever.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I could know absolutely nothing of a new Pokemon game and I'd still buy it day one.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Fromsoftware is the only company I'll give blind trust too. Sekiro wasn't anywhere near my favorite game from them but it was still great.

Kojima productions too. I haven't played a kojima game that I didn't like.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
oh my. You have something to look forward to. When do you plan to play TW2?

Well I ought to restate (long-ish post ahead):

I did play around 2 to 3 hours worth of TW2 on 360 a few years back before dropping it (could not get into it at the time). Then I heard about the X update and bought another copy of the 360 version (ebay) cause I lost the older disc. Played that for half an hour before dropping it again because... I thought I ought to read the Witcher Books.

What a bloody brilliant I idea! Except, I have bought 4 of the books and am about 2/3rd ways through the 1st (I started over a month ago). As a slowpoke, I would wager that by the time I am done with the books (w/o change in pace) it will be 2021 at the earliest before I can get back to TW2.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope.

I always wait for a discount.

Devs/pubs are not obligated to make a game the way I want it to be, nor am I obligated to pay the price for a game they have made.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
You can never go wrong with Supergiant. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to keep playing Hades.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
You can never go wrong with Supergiant. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to keep playing Hades.

I'm the same. After Bastion I bought Transistor and Pyre at launch. I held off of Hades because it was early access but I buckled on that too. At this point I don't think it matters at all, I'm buying whatever they put out.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and I will always buy Rockstar and Naughty Dog games out of blind trust.