• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
True story, I am not looking forward to going back to normal in the work space.
People have gross as fuck hygiene, they still won't wash their hands, they still won't cough into their elbows etc etc.

I do not miss being in the opposite cubicle of someone coughing and sneezing all day, or hearing someone in the office has a stomach bug. I don't miss catching strep throat. I don't want to go back into an office with people.

Are we just supposed to ignore that we have kept these numbers down by wearing masks? I don't want to go back to old normal

Oct 28, 2017
Exposure to pathogens is a good thing. That's the truth that has been twisted by the antimaskers and covid deniers to support a very dangerous idea that exposing people to covid being a good thing. But it doesn't make it any less true that exposure can be good for the immune system. There needs to be a balance and while I will admit, it is difficult to draw the line somewhere (obviously sneezing without covering your mouth with your elbow and the like are not good ideas) Trying to remain in a sterile bubble is definitely not healthy for people long term.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1200x0.jpg

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
What if your office implemented a forced mask policy whenever you are in the building. How would you feel about going back then?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With people learning to work at home, I think there will be a greater likelihood that they stay home and work there if sick. Or, God willing, people have learned to wear masks enough that we could recommend people wear masks when not feeling well but have to go into the office.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
With people learning to work at home, I think there will be a greater likelihood that they stay home and work there if sick. Or, God willing, people have learned to wear masks enough that we could recommend people wear masks when not feeling well but have to go into the office.
Or take sick leave if sick. Let's go for a society where people can just be sick when they are sick instead of having to work anywhere.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Do we know where the majority of the transmission of colds and other bugs comes from? Is it in the air from breathing or is it from touching things others have touched?

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Exposure to pathogens is a good thing. That's the truth that has been twisted by the antimaskers and covid deniers to support a very dangerous idea that exposing people to covid being a good thing. But it doesn't make it any less true that exposure can be good for the immune system. There needs to be a balance and while I will admit, it is difficult to draw the line somewhere (obviously sneezing without covering your mouth with your elbow and the like are not good ideas) Trying to remain in a sterile bubble is definitely not healthy for people long term.

I can believe this while we're developing, but if a full grown adult decides to put themselves in a sterile environment for a long period, that's bad? are there any studies or some such?

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even had a cold this winter, that's different.

masks are good.

also people that can wfh should be allowed to from here on out.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is I haven't been sick in over a year, my son hasn't had a cold in over a year also. I am not sure if thats a good thing, but I appreciate not having constant colds with a toddler in daycare or preschool. Seemed like pre covid he was sick every few months, and then that would be passed around to his mother and I.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Or take sick leave if sick. Let's go for a society where people can just be sick when they are sick instead of having to work anywhere.
This.

But also, work at home should become the norm whenever possible. No more stay at the office until the end of the day instead of being free when you finish your workload. No more hundreds of hours wasted every year in commute, with the added financial and environmental costs associated. No more spending one salary in childcare when you can watch the kids while working at home. No more cold Tupperwares. No more dedicated buildings wasted on something we can all do more comfortably from home.

If we adjusted so fast when forced, think of how optimized work from home could become if we give it a few years.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

My company has unlimited paid sick days, and people would still come into the office sick pre-pandemic.

I think there are a lot of people whose living situation makes it easier for them to go into the office than stay at home, and avoiding infecting co-workers is not their highest priority.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think i ever got sick from someone at work 🤔 i'm ready to go back when it's ok. I don't have good work conditions at work and i don't want home to be a permanent workplace. I enjoyed the commuting too. I can even just walk back home sometimes rather than taking the trian.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Do we know where the majority of the transmission of colds and other bugs comes from? Is it in the air from breathing or is it from touching things others have touched?
Well stomach bugs for example is just floating in the air near people vomitting, so the bathroom, or from people not washing their hands and then touching the copy machine.

or strep, just people coughing in the office is good enough to give it to me. I'm very susceptible to strep

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'll be totally honest... I have 0 need to return to the office. If given the option I would WFH permanently. A lot of people say they miss the human interaction, which I get, but if things finally settle back to "normal" guess what? You can go out to eat, bars, beaches, gyms etc etc. I don't need an office for human interaction, I just need normal lmfao. WFH forever. I would love it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Because they think this is considered a good thing and staying home is considered a bad thing.

No, when I have asked my co-workers it usually has to do with their family situation. For instance, they have family members at home and would rather reduce the risk of infecting them rather than co-workers. Or they need to commute to drop off / pick up kids from school or daycare anyway. Or there is less stress in the office than at home.

Oct 26, 2017
I can believe this while we're developing, but if a full grown adult decides to put themselves in a sterile environment for a long period, that's bad? are there any studies or some such?
The immune system is never in a finite state. It is constantly learning and re-learning. The dosis makes the poison.
Like any disease that concerns the respiratory tract it's always airborne as the main vector. Touch infection can still obviously happen, but the chances are much much lower as there are much more steps involved to get enough pathogens to your airways.
Main problem really is that most people (a vast majority really) have never been taught proper sneezing or coughing hygiene. Or have been taught, but for some dumb reason decide not to implement it. Just look around you each year in the winter, people coughing sneezing, wiping their snot on their hands and just carry on. Couple that with people huddling together during shopping season and you have a recipe for disaster.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to return to an office, because my life is so much better working from home.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't punish yourself just because your co-workers are gross. They should be made to correct themselves or should be punished for not correcting themselves.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, when I have asked my co-workers it usually has to do with their family situation. For instance, they have family members at home and would rather reduce the risk of infecting them rather than co-workers. Or they need to commute to drop off / pick up kids from school or daycare anyway. Or there is less stress in the office than at home.

excellent reason not to have a family.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
After 20+ years of commuting to office buildings, I agree that the case to let people with office jobs, where all they need is a computer and an internet connection, work from home is pretty much proven at this point. Visable results rather than HR logging the time I spend sitting in front of a screen is a much better metric for me. I've been less sick (in terms of mild illness), my work hasn't suffered one bit, I've had more time to exercise and spend with my young family, I haven't been fighting the clock to meet childcare commitments, the mental health benefit was massive to me, the insane cost of train fares in the UK means I've been better off there too. It's been a huge level of privilege in that regard compared to some.

I think that's an upside in my situation of a shift that we've done relatively quickly and out of necessity, despite me arguing for years that I should work from home for various reasons. There is a lack of equity for some others though, for whom the office space is vital human contact, or if they live in a crowded home they share with others and don't have dedicated workspace, or if they prefer being able to really focus away from problems at home, or if they are just starting out in some fields and the training, supervision and contacts are important, that kind of thing. Moving forwards, while the immediate, necessary one-size-fits-all solution has been effective for so many in so many different situations, it shouldn't mean that everyone has to be able to do so. That was part of the problem in the first place with everyone having to conform to a daily commute and a 9-5 grind that meant rush hours, insane fares and stress around making it work with school pickups etc.

Companies looking for policies to have people work from home where they can but not penalise them if they don't want to or can't turn their home into their office is likely the way forward. I think my company is going to end up having far fewer desk spaces but still having us all come in every so often or be able to book meeting and work spaces on an ad-hoc basis, where some may choose to be in the office more than others and some may choose to only be there if needed.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My job did a survey a month or so ago to basically say "sooo, when this is over, do you still want to keep working from home?"
Most of my coworkers said they want to come to the office 1-2 days a week and keep working from home otherwise.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not afraid of getting sick but I'm sure as fuck not coming into the office if I have a small cold.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I've been WFH full time for almost 5 years so this isn't as much of a concern for me, but I did get colds all of the time when still in the office.

I have thought about this with regards to my kids and schooling, though. Neither of my kids have been sick in almost a year since we've been homeschooling. My daughter was in kindergarten last year when everything started closing and that year she had been sick more than she'd ever been in her life, which makes sense. Stomach bugs, colds, coughs etc.

We're hoping to send the kids to in person school in the fall, my hope is that they still adhere to masks at least in the classroom (not lunch, recess etc).

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
My job did a survey a month or so ago to basically say "sooo, when this is over, do you still want to keep working from home?"
Most of my coworkers said they want to come to the office 1-2 days a week and keep working from home otherwise.
Same. I was stoked to see our company send it out because it seems like they are vetting interest to employees about possible permanent WFH options. I absolutely do, and a few of the questions had "Other" where I made Damn sure to tell them such in the blank space provided. I'm rooting for them to do that initiative

Oct 28, 2017
I rarely got sick and when I did I can't say it definitely came from work. I'll accept the risk if it means getting out of the house on days that I choose.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of hopeful that with the importance and usefulness of masks being introduced to our society, perhaps once COVID is over ppl will continue to use them when sick

Like how they do in Japan and other Asian countries.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Getting sick is overall good for humanity. Avoid plagues but you shouldn't be trying to keep yourself sterile or asking others too. Not all bugs need drugs.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Businesses have spent over a decade denying many people the opportunity to work from home occasionally and have now had to backpedal in a cry of "please work from home" for a year.

It's going to be fascinating to see how things level out in a few years.

People realising that not having an hour commute each way is quite nice, having more time at home is great, savings on travel, Starbucks and eating out for breakfast and lunch.

Companies realising that shock, people can actually be trusted to work from home, so now maybe we don't need expensive as fuck offices in prime real estate for 300 people when we could have less than half that in a more accessible cheaper place. Maybe only new starters need to be in the office and others can just rock up once a week for meetings or whatever.

More money leaving population centres like London or Birmingham and being spread around the country because people are now allowed to work 200 miles away.

Maybe instead of going to your Corp office, you work in pods at a local office near you where employees from 15 companies work. You still meet people, go for beers and chat shit, it's now just not always with people from the same company (this is unlikely due to the fear of people leaving their machine unattended).

Last edited:

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I'm no doctor but I imagine this works like a muscle or most body parts, if you don't use it it gets weaker and can atrophy if not used at all.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'm no doctor but I imagine this works like a muscle or most body parts, if you don't use it it gets weaker and can atrophy if not used at all.
Not going to the office is not the same as not going out though. People are still going to see friends, go shopping, get on planes etc.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
This.

But also, work at home should become the norm whenever possible. No more stay at the office until the end of the day instead of being free when you finish your workload. No more hundreds of hours wasted every year in commute, with the added financial and environmental costs associated. No more spending one salary in childcare when you can watch the kids while working at home. No more cold Tupperwares. No more dedicated buildings wasted on something we can all do more comfortably from home.

If we adjusted so fast when forced, think of how optimized work from home could become if we give it a few years.
You can't watch a toddler and work from home. It's impossible.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working as usual during this whole pandemic, seeing my co-workers getting Covid and some having to be hospitalized. Working in a enviroment where social distancing is impossible has been tough, just waiting for the next co-worker to get sick.

I also wish I could work from home, but to be honest I think I'd miss the social aspect of work.

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to just go into the office once a week, but at this point I'm desperately missing those times we travel to gather the whole team. Not being able to see friends is also making work one of the only places I talk to people at all.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I never stopped going into the office. Everyone has been careful keeping distance, wearing masks, and moving some conversations to emails that would have been in person. I'd like to think that offices reopening for the first time since the pandemic will implement similar rules as what I've experienced.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With WFH permanently gaining in popularity and companies cutting costs you can expect a drop in the spread of such diseases but also a more vulnerable population over time, which creates a self-fulling cycle on increased isolation and increased vulnerability unless scientific developments allow us to stop viruses at a fundamental level.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have worked at my company for about eight years now and I've gotten sick ever maybe 3 to 4 times. The one thing I've always done is washed my hands before eating. That's it. I'd like to add the 90% of the time during the year I take public transit to get to work. If you're getting sick all the time at your office, it could be an issue of cleanliness of the office itself

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Working in a school is like working in a Petri dish. I'd love a mask mandate permanently at school. Every teacher on here can tell you there's that brutal stomach bug/flu/cold that runs rampant through the school at least once a school year

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's good for your immune system to catch colds, though I am grateful that I've almost at a two year run without being sick in bed with a runny nose or cough.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Personally, I don't want to go back because all the cubicles are situated right under fans that blow cold air year round (seriously, not even when it's hot and humid out have I ever appreciated how much cold it is) and it's a 100 year old building so there's all sorts of stuff triggering my allergies. Not to mention the fans are loud. As if that wasn't bad enough, my coworkers talk too loud and seem to be vampires or something cause they keep the blinds off and would have the lights off as well if I didn't point out it's fucking hard to look at a monitor all day in the dark. Worse is that drone on and on with each other which combined with the noisy fan makes it hard to concentrate - I'm basically an auditor who spends all day looking at numbers to make sure they are correct and I would like to be able to focus.

Working at home, at a comfortable temp in a quiet, brightly lit house has done wonders for my efficiency/productivity.