• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lets put the facts out there

Sersi is a psychic able to keep up with the mutant Exodus, a dude who's raw power put him up there with Jean Grey and Prof X
3098277-9958911896-18676.jpg

3098278-1831414945-blood.jpg

While not the strongest Eternal, she is strong enough to pimp slap Giant Man and Mortal Hercules
main-qimg-f1c59bac1d1edd71d348916cb1d8a5b1

Energy manipulation
ECw8BusXYAIkReE.jpg

But where she is unmatched is the Eternal discipline of matter manipulation. Cersi the witch from the myths were inspired by her feats. She can do crazy shit like create monsters to fight for here

WZX4X8e.png

Give folks gills, do you know how about your shit you got to be to give someone with a fucked up body chemistry like Wonder Man gills?
UaJwf78.png

Not to talk about energy generation, flight, invulnerability, teleportation of herself and others including remotely. If done right you won't see a bigger powerhouse until they bring in Silver Surfer

And now a what if for the folks that saw Endgame
3861151-screen%20shot%202014-05-31%20at%206.38.10%20pm.png

Now i got to hide before OmniGamer hears I been talking Marvel psychics again

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna rewrite her powerset to be like the actual Circe. She's gonna turn Hawkeye into a dog.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
All this on top of her already superhuman durability and physique. She is not a glass-cannon wizard.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't the eternal deads? Or they are immortals? Why do we just heard about them in the lore of the MCU beside cameos

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the eternal deads? Or they are immortals? Why do we just heard about them in the lore of the MCU beside cameos
They can only be killed by dispersing a majority of their molecules, even then they have a machine that can bring them back

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a current run of The Eternals, or has it been dead and buried for a while? Just curious why all the panels look decently old.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Comic's are comics, they won't follow decades old comics to define their power levels.

I got a feeling they will just be used as the precursor to Mutants. a group of aliens who fight to protect the universe from the celestials with a variety of powers and most of them die (or choose to join the guardians or something) while one makes it to earth, does *thing* and that awakens mutants worldwide and leads to their introduction in the MCU (since it would effectively be like the Terrigen Mists, but activating an X-Gene instead which could have always been there too)

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Considering how much they nerfed Mantis theres no way in hell Sersi is gonna be on Carol's level

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Comic's are comics, they won't follow decades old comics to define their power levels.

I got a feeling they will just be used as the precursor to Mutants. a group of aliens who fight to protect the universe from the celestials with a variety of powers and most of them die (or choose to join the guardians or something) while one makes it to earth, does *thing* and that awakens mutants worldwide and leads to their introduction in the MCU (since it would effectively be like the Terrigen Mists, but activating an X-Gene instead which could have always been there too)
there can't be an 'awaken mutants' event and still have the xmen
unless the timeline works out that mutants are awakened like a decade or so after captain america gets frozen

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
there can't be an 'awaken mutants' event and still have the xmen
unless the timeline works out that mutants are awakened like a decade or so after captain america gets frozen
I meant that it could be that in the current MCU from it's beginning until the Phase Four period had no mutants, no x-men, etc. It could easily have an X-Gene that has been around for years and something in that movie activates the X-Gene in the present day.

I think it's worth remembering that Feige said this about the X-men:
Feige acknowledged that the terms "X-Men" and "mutants" are interchangeable but went on to say that the MCU approach would be quite different from the 20th Century Fox film series.

It doesn't make sense to have the x-men/mutants always being on earth but super secret and hiding during the events of previous movies (also, we know Fox owned them). But it does make sense if Scott Summers, Jean Grey, etc are humans that were already living in the MCU and suddenly they manifest powers. If they want to make them X-Men, then its easy enough to have Xavier recruit them similar to how Fury recruited the Avengers.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I meant that it could be that in the current MCU from it's beginning until the Phase Four period had no mutants, no x-men, etc. It could easily have an X-Gene that has been around for years and something in that movie activates the X-Gene in the present day.

I think it's worth remembering that Feige said this about the X-men:
Feige acknowledged that the terms "X-Men" and "mutants" are interchangeable but went on to say that the MCU approach would be quite different from the 20th Century Fox film series.

It doesn't make sense to have the x-men/mutants always being on earth but super secret and hiding during the events of previous movies (also, we know Fox owned them). But it does make sense if Scott Summers, Jean Grey, etc are humans that were already living in the MCU and suddenly they manifest powers. If they want to make them X-Men, then its easy enough to have Xavier recruit them similar to how Fury recruited the Avengers.
it doesn't make much sense though because xavier would have no more experience being a mutant than any of them have if the powers just suddenly manifested...
I'm sure they can figure it out somehow but it would be strange

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
They may nerf these characters so they don't make Earth's Mightiest Heroes look like a bunch of losers. Any of the MCU characters would be crushed by a telepath easily.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't make much sense though because xavier would have no more experience being a mutant than any of them have if the powers just suddenly manifested...
I'm sure they can figure it out somehow but it would be strange
Yeah, that's a good point. But I guess after two different film series...maybe it's time for a new direction?

I think with the current situation about racial divides and gender diversity and people being "different" but deserving of acceptance, then Mutants could fit into that. I guess you could treat it as what would happen if with everything happening in the world, what would the reaction be if people were suddenly born blue, had an IQ of over 200 and were genetically predisposed to being as fast as Usain Bolt and strong as Mr. Universe competitors with little training. Society would treat these people differently, but they wouldn't deserve it and yet we would have to be mindful of how a group of "super fast and strong" people could have huge impacts on sporting competitions and create power imbalances.

I'm not saying it'd be a synonym for past civil rights issues, more an attempt to make the viewers wonder how the world would change if The Next Step In Human Evolution™ happened today. Because at the very very least, the mutants/x-men can't just be identical to the Avengers, they have to feel much more unique or else why are they bothering to introduce them?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for some honest to goodness Sersi, bomber jacket would be a plus.

As for X-Men I don't understand why people think they need hoops, just have the first movie be the story of the 05 ( doesn't even have to be that lineup point being when Xavier first reveals his first lineup to the world and your set) because even with secret history's and retcons the world didn't know about mutants until the cape incident, and up until that point there had been so few and usually solitary, it wasn't until Charles and Erik started seriously talking about bringing them together along with an uptick of mutant birth coinciding with the age of hero's that anyone knew, I don't see why that would be so hard to replicate in the movies.

And they are not forced into following the marvel timeline explicitly or Spider-man would have been around before iron-man.

As for why no one knows of the Eternals, they consider themselves beyond human affairs and are extremly isolationist, plus the history in comics says that if they were aware of and worried about Thanos while everyone else was fighting they were too busy being the uni-mind before they could act.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Who is the strongest eternal other than Sersi? Ikaris?

Thanos.

They can only be killed by dispersing a majority of their molecules, even then they have a machine that can bring them back

This one seems to have been retconned a bit. The Jason Aaron Avengers series has them all killing themselves out of madness when the corrupted celestials arrive on Earth.

They'll almost certainly be brought back, but who knows what's going on with them. Marvel doesn't really seem to be paying much attention to canon with that series, which led to things like THIS particular bit of insanity:

tumblr_p0nhquuyaT1ru09bvo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p0nhquuyaT1ru09bvo2_540.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, potentially stupid question as someone who doesn't follow comics, why wouldn't The Eternals have shown up against Thanos in Infinity War/Endgame? I figure a figure like Thanos posing that much threat to the universe would have drawn their attention? Were they immune to the snap and because of that just wouldn't have cared about him?

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Feels weird to compare to the comic cannon when the movies haven't had the balls to go full comic.

Hoping that the positive reactions to Carol will remedy that and I, in another universe, get my Saakarson.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, potentially stupid question as someone who doesn't follow comics, why wouldn't The Eternals have shown up against Thanos in Infinity War/Endgame? I figure a figure like Thanos posing that much threat to the universe would have drawn their attention? Were they immune to the snap and because of that just wouldn't have cared about him?

If they were even awake or aware (lots o comic fuckery there)

A. They really only concern themselves with their own issues.

B. They would be in the uni-mind to make decisions and plans, thereby missing the whole event.

C. Eternals other than Sersi suck and these contradictions also exist in comics stemming from how do you shoehorn Kirby comics that were their own thing into the marvel universe proper since you own the property.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they were even awake or aware (lots o comic fuckery there)

A. They really only concern themselves with their own issues.

B. They would be in the uni-mind to make decisions and plans, thereby missing the whole event.

C. Eternals other than Sersi suck and these contradictions also exist in comics stemming from how do you shoehorn Kirby comics that were their own thing into the marvel universe proper since you own the property.

Ahhh I see, thanks for the explanation!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Not a dumb question at all.

MCU Thanos isn't an eternal, but 616 Thanos is.

MCU Thanos grew up as a mutant member of an unnamed race on "planet titan" in the god-knows-where Galaxy. If the Eternals are earth based- they would never have heard of him.

He shows up on Earth for a matter of minutes in Wakanda, then vanishes to the outer reaches of the universe. The Avengers only manage to find him because Nebula knew everything about him.

That being said, The Celestials seem to be a big part of the Eternals series, and that race powerful as it is, and as interested as it is in the infinity stones is missing and/or dead by the time the MCU starts. I can see whatever happened with the Celestials being tied in with where the Eternals have been.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos.

This one seems to have been retconned a bit. The Jason Aaron Avengers series has them all killing themselves out of madness when the corrupted celestials arrive on Earth.

They'll almost certainly be brought back, but who knows what's going on with them. Marvel doesn't really seem to be paying much attention to canon with that series, which led to things like THIS particular bit of insanity:

tumblr_p0nhquuyaT1ru09bvo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p0nhquuyaT1ru09bvo2_540.jpg
Wasn't that the series where they fought the Salem Seven? You go against them, who am I to doubt you against Zuras?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't think Sersi is actually the "lead" of Eternals.

She's not. It's either Thena or Zuras, depending on when you're talking about.

If we take the 90s Avengers series as authoritative she IS the most powerful though. Variants of Sersi kept going rogue and annihilating all life on earth repeatedly.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Sersi is actually the "lead" of Eternals.
She is however the one that has anything going on for her beyond Eternals stuff in the greater Marvel universe so it's natural that most (including myself) will gravitate to her. I mean she was an Avengers mainstay in the comics during my most formative comic reading years.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So eternals are just mythological figures copied by Marvel? They are basically non X-men mutants?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So eternals are just mythological figures copied by Marvel? They are basically non X-men mutants?

It's complicated. The Eternals were thought up by Kirby, and inspired by the greek and roman gods and a few other mythological figures. IIRC they weren't intended to be part of the broader marvel universe.

When Marvel eventually retconned them and folded them into the marvel universe, there was some confusion because the mythological gods of olympus actually existed already. Thena vs. Athena, Zeus vs. Zuras, etc.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since when has non Binary Carol Danvers been more powerful than Thor? Sorry but that's some bullshit. I wouldn't put her in the same class as Thor or Sentry. Just me though. But I guess that MCU appearances aren't necessarily reflective of the comics and liberties are taken.