• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SI_Wii_SuperSmashBrosBrawl_image1600w.jpg

What an amazing game.

Brawl was something special to me.

It was the year 2004, I was a six year old boy still in elementary. Every day, after school, my parents would still be working and they didn't really want me coming home by myself. The only console I owned was a GameBoy Advance.
So, after school for about three years, I would go to my local Boys and Girls Club and play video games. My favorite of these were Star Fox 64 and Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Me and my friends would play Melee for hours. I was a Fox main who didn't know what shine combos or wavedashing even was and most times I would just get my ass beat, but I still had a blast.

In 2005, I had first started to learn of these odd thing called "the internet." I remember getting about half an hour to get use the computers at the B&GC and spending them watching Smosh vids.
Soon, I started to delve deeper and found myself spending time on "The Old Place" and Screwattack. I started to really envelope myself in online gaming culture.
Two years of enveloping my childhood in Smash Bros and online gaming communities culminated in one moment; I soon starting hearing of murmurs of this thing called "E3."
And on the first particular E3 I happen to tune into, I see this in glorious 144p image quality.

Cue me absolutely losing my shit. For the first time ever, I had felt hype.
No memories of my child hood are more vivid to me than the years between Brawl's announcement and eventual release. I worked summer jobs mowing lawns just to save up for a Wii.
Now, instead of coming to the B&GC everyday to play Melee, I was coming back every day to check The Dojo.
https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/index.html

I remember this pop-up being the best build-up to a reveal:
gmyU4Un.png

The game looked beautiful. Every character was so much more detailed. I weirdly enjoyed the bizarre hyper-realistic details on Mario's clothes.
latest

As well as what still remains my favorite iteration of Battlefield. Something about that blue sky really speaks to me.
59185d322c872.jpg

But most of all, this happened:
5597_MarioSonic_28048_20080313162842.0.jpg

This was monumental. This was one of the single most important things to happen to gaming. The canonization of most prevalent rivalry in the industry.
After this, nothing was gonna stop Brawl. It had everything it could going for it. And it delivered. In fact, it might have even over delivered.

There was so much game in this one package. The breadth of Brawl's seemingly endless content was overwhelming. Even eleven years later, putting in what must have been 150 hours into this game, I'm still not confident I've seen all this game has to offer.

More than any other sequel in the franchise, Brawl felt like the biggest upgrade. The stages were so widely varied and so creative, the WarioWare stage being a favorite.
The endless orchestral renditions of so much classic gaming music. The addition of Final Smashes, as well as a sprawling adventure mode.
Speaking of, holy shit, this adventure mode tho.

Subspace Emissary was a blast for me. Me and my little sister would play through the whole game together. This bizarre Kirby-esque mode was bloated with content. So many secrets there were to be discovered. I spent hours just replaying stages just to explore every little crevice I could find.

Nothing can ever make me feel the way this game made felt, not even the most recent Smash Bros. could rival what Brawl gave me. I never minded everyone's gripes with it. I didn't care about tripping, the speed, or even the wifi issues. Brawl wasn't just a game to me. It was the experience, it was the feeling of growth. Brawl remained my gateway drug into gaming culture and online, and I'll never forget the hype. To Masahiro Sakurai and the team at Sora Inc, Thank you for everything.
SSBB_Intro_Title.png

Last edited:

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Smash Bros Dojo was unforgettable. The greatest hype I've experienced for a game so far. Nothing comes close.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Subspace so much šŸ˜„
Like you, I didn't care about tripping or the slow game speed. The game was just a blast for me.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Ultimate > Brawl > 64 > Melee > Wii U/3DS for me
Played a ton of 64 as a kid, kinda skipped over melee and then myself and everyone I know went ham on brawl

And then only after ultimate did I really realize how bad 4 was

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Going back to play it now it feels off in terms of physics, but there was a time where I'd agree with you. And in terms of content and hype I still do, nothing matches Brawl's hype cycle and the first week or two of playing it. Checking the dojo every day and finally playing through SSE was one of those special gaming experiences. I think I was the perfect age for it all too, being a middle schooler. Old enough to have the context with the medium and Nintendo's history to get hyped for something like this, young enough to not be cynical about upcoming games and crossover shit.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've played a lot of Ultimate (completed all the challenges two weeks ago), and I may like Brawl most, too. I think I have some major bias, though. For me, Brawl came out in high school. I had a close group of friends who all played a ton. We got quite good at the game together, and so my memories and experiences with the game likely affected my opinion on it.

I'm several years out of practice now, and none of my close friends nowadays really care to play. Ultimate is an incredible game with a ton of content and lots to offer. Maybe my love for the franchise has subsided a bit due to outside elements, but Brawl remains in my memory as the game that motivated me most to become a skilled player and the game I enjoyed playing with my friends the most.

Oct 29, 2017
It is, by far, the most complete Smash Bros experience. It had everything you could really ask for at the time; and nothing compares to it in terms of single player content either.

Hell I also prefered the slower pace of the core gameplay to Melee as well (Though I do reckon that Smash 4 and Ultimate have better core fighting gameplay mechanics than Brawl). It also had the best new stages of any game in the series (don't lie, you loved them all, even if they're not even remotely tourney-legal!)

The build-up towards release; and that initial trailer, are also the best lead-up hype that a Smash game has ever had.

While it is not mechanically as polished as Smash 4 and Ultimate, it is the ultimate fangasm game; and Subspace Emissary (despite its flaws) is probably the greatest piece of fan fiction the industry has ever seen.

Here's to you Brawl!

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
Smash Bros Dojo was unforgettable. The greatest hype I've experienced for a game so far. Nothing comes close.

This. Brawl hype was like the wild west; anything truly felt possible.

I didn't really notice Brawl's gameplay speed until I replayed other Smash games right before it (I replayed the first three before 3DS came out), but once you get used to it, it doesn't really matter. To me, Brawl made some of the biggest strides going forward of any of the Smash sequels, between the roster, single player content, stages, and even the online.

Now that Ultimate has practically everything that made Brawl great (except Subspace Emissary), I never really feel the urge to return to Brawl, but I still have fond memories of the game and the buildup to it, while I associate Smash 4 more with a sense of overall disappointment (despite greatly enjoying it too).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its not my favorite Smash, and I had the raw gameplay, but it was such a fantastic game and I got a ton of enjoyment out of 100% it.

The truth. I will never be more hyped for a game than I was for Brawl. The Dojo was something else.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had the most fun with Brawl, because I constantly played with friends and acquaintances. But as the years continue we don't have the time or inclination to just hang out and play Smash like we used to.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brawl is one of the biggest piles of shit released in regards to Smash Bros forever. I am glad that they moved away from that gameplay. Game is a broken mess.

I mean look at that mess (and it's not even a fun mess!)

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I'm not here to shame people and their fetishes, if feces is your thing, more power to you OP.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Same as a few others here, Brawl just came out at the right time for me (high school) where I played it for hundreds of hours doing challenges, loving the subspace emissary, unlocking characters etc. The hype cycle for it was really significant in a time where I was just getting into the internet culture with forums and communities. Me and my friend had a routine down to the milliseconds for a sandbag record (and we could record it to an SD card). It's also one of the first video game OSTs that I downloaded on my computer to listen to over and over. The stage editor was great too.

I'm certain that if Ultimate came out at that point instead of Brawl, I would have probably enjoyed it even more (even though World of Light pales in comparison to SSE), so nostalgia is a big variable. But I love the memories I have with the game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even though I view Brawl as the worst game in the series, even I recognize that it did a lot for the series. Be it the introduction of third party characters or the Subspace Emissary (which, while it didn't really hold up in the long-term, was still a fun experience the first time around). As for the pecking order for me...

Melee > Ultimate > 64 > Wii U/3DS > Brawl

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely has the best theme music of the Smash series, I'll give you that.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Brawl was the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. Never have I seen such a colossal hype train crash and burn so hard.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
The hype cycle for this game was insane, that's for sure. The following two Smashes just couldn't compare.
Game itself though didn't live up those expectations. Even though me and my friends originally enjoyed it fine it didn't take too long for the flaws in the become apparent and so we went back to Melee.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Brawl hype was life changing for 10 year old me. I spent a lot of hours with it, maybe more than any other Smash game (Melee is its only real comp)

Pancracio17

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Brawl was a great game. It was competing to become my favourite of the franchise due to all the fun memories I had with it before Ultimate came out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have many wonderful memories of brawl even though it's aged like milk over the years. It was a very fun game and the hype cycle for it felt the most pure and innocent compared to Smash 4's and Ultimate's which both sadly got pretty toxic

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was more fun following the pre release hype of this game than actually playing it. I did like the amount of content it had and the roster was great but It was extremely disappointing. It had all the bells and whistles but the core was bleh. Still like it more than Smash 4 tho.

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
Ultimate > Melee > Brawl > 3DS/Wii U > 64

Melee still has that fast and tight gameplay that's fun to come back to, but Ultimate wins out on 70+ characters/103 stages alone, not to mention World Of Light. It's hard for me to not associate 3DS/Wii U with my disappointments regarding single player content and the roster/stages, even if it's a very solid game and probably more fun to play than Brawl.

Uncle at Nintendo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Jan 3, 2018
It's the only smash that doesn't feel like it has any cut corners. I love melee and ultimate but you could feel the time restraints in regards to the roster in melee and single player content with ultimate.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl is one of the biggest piles of shit released in regards to Smash Bros forever. I am glad that they moved away from that gameplay. Game is a broken mess.

I mean look at that mess (and it's not even a fun mess!)

You realize this guy makes these videos for every Smash game and that he emphasizes it's just for fun and doesn't stand as an opinion on the games right?

He's got two videos on Melee.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You realize this guy makes these videos for every Smash game and that he emphasizes it's just for fun and doesn't stand as an opinion on the games right?

He's got two videos on Melee.

You realize I posted a playlist right? You can also read? Smash is a mess and Brawl is not even a fun mess as showcased in the video. Tripping is bullshit. Metaknight is bullshit. Speed is bullshit. Brawl has good amount of content, broke through the Nintendo barrier gave us the Dojo, but everything else killed the game for me (my friends and my comp. buddies). In that way it is the worst Smash Bros. It's not a fun broken mess unlike the other games.

Edit: Good thing was that the game released later in Europe and I was able to make a shit ton of money by selling Freeloader discs for the Nintendo Wii so that everyone could import the game.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Brawl was quite cool, though not my favourite, however im very fond of its DKC remixes

Don't feel sad, we old gamers have seen the industry grow to what is today i wouldn't have it other way

YES! I absolutely adore that remix of Stickerbush Symphony! I know that a lot of people were disappointed in it, since it deviates significantly from the original, but they don't matter because it's an absolute banger!

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'd be fascinated to see someone run the "realistic" textures on Mario's clothes through that ESRGAN program.

While I appreciate all the steps forward that the series took with Brawl (and Subspace especially is its own weird, special thing) I also feel like the arc of the series since then has been trying to move further and further away from Brawl. Like, with each new game the narrative seems to be "It's faster! It feels less like Brawl!" I think Ultimate has struck a good balance where it has the fun party elements like Brawl, but also has solid mechanics for a competitive scene.

And yeah, Sonic joining Brawl was like the hypest moment that 12 year old me could imagine

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You realize I posted a playlist right? You can also read? Smash is a mess and Brawl is not even a fun mess as showcased in the video. Tripping is bullshit. Metaknight is bullshit. Speed is bullshit. Brawl has good amount of content, broke through the Nintendo barrier gave us the Dojo, but everything else killed the game for me (my friends and my comp. buddies). In that way it is the worst Smash Bros. It's not a fun broken mess unlike the other games.

Edit: Good thing was that the game released later in Europe and I was able to make a shit ton of money by selling Freeloader discs for the Nintendo Wii so that everyone could import the game.
Yeah I read that you posted a joke video as evidence of an indictment (one which says "Brawl was super different but that's ok") and are saving face after the fact, gotcha.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
gameplay wise it is the worst ones in the series

i did enjoy the story mode and just how much shit it added tho. great foundation for the future smash games that came after it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Brawl was decent until you tried to play online. Then it became a complete dumpster fire.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Unnecessary hostility across a series of posts.
Yeah I read that you posted a joke video as evidence of an indictment (one which says "Brawl was super different but that's ok") and are saving face after the fact, gotcha.

I told you with my post what sucked ass about Brawl. What is your fucking point? That Brawl has great gameplay? Get out with that shit.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl had one of the best modding communities.
The gameplay was a massive step down, Stadium modes sucked, tripping sucked, the characters cut from the roster hurt, Subspace sucked. Game was such a beginner friendly and slow paced iteration that it tore the smash community in two harder than any other new game has to this day.

Last edited:

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's the only smash that doesn't feel like it has any cut corners.

I don't agree with that... every single player mode except for Adventure/SSE was massively downgraded (Classic, Event Mode and Target Test in particular are atrocious compared to Melee). Brawl even had some questionable roster choices of its own with it cutting Mewtwo and Roy, both characters that had sizable fanbases in Melee. This one is more of a nitpick but Sonic's moveset also feels super half-assed and it's always been obvious to me that he was added late in development.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I was considerably older than the OP, but it too was the most fun entry for me. It represented the biggest step forward for the franchise imo, and whether it was "broken" or not didn't affect how much damn fun it was to play with friends. While the core gameplay of Ultimate might be more refined, it wasn't the relative advancement that Brawl was.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for it. Played millions of hours and loved it. Was truly an amazing time to be a Nintendo fan, brawl and then kart a month later

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was 16 when Brawl came out, so it felt like the first time I could really join in on the hype for a new Smash game.

Don't care what anybody says, Subspace Emissary is the best single player element in any Smash game.

To be fair though, World of Light comes pretty close.

It was such a fun game. And having Sonic and Snake being revealed is right up there with one of the most exciting video gaming moments ever.