• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

Netherland's authorities had declared a rare "code red" emergency as Storm Darcy sent temperatures plummeting to -5 degrees Celsius (23F), in the first snow storm to hit the country in a decade.

Elsewhere in Europe, officials asked people to stop skating on thawing lakes. In Berlin on the weekend, police in helicopters urged skaters to leave the ice, the BBC reported.

In northern England, skaters have been trying to recreate moves seen on the reality show Dancing on Ice on frozen lakes in nature reserves. They have been warned that, in addition to the risks of thin ice, the remoteness of the lakes means that help is far away.

www.theguardian.com

Thin ice: Europeans warned not to skate on thawing canals after spate of accidents

Video of one skater’s unceremonious fall through an icy canal in the Netherlands has been viewed more than 5m times

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
It's the last time Dutch canals will be frozen until the next ice age hits, let them have their fun

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if thats so much fun:

People need to learn that it has to be cold for a long time to be able to ice skate without danger.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about it's a pandemic so don't do anything that might needlessly increase your chances to bother hospital staff with.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Based on how covid warnings have gone I am expecting this to prompt thousands of people to start skating on thawing canals

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Take a trip to Ottawa and skate on Rideau canal, you can skate for 7.8km (38.8 furlongs for non-metric people).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
just smother me with a pillow or bludgeon me with a blunt pipe if i ever fall into freezing water. fuck that.

Literally skating on thin ice....

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone and their grandma around me have found a place to skate this winter, it's been pretty great. But yeah, only do it where authorities have found them safe.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Haven't Euros ever heard of the expression "being on thin ice"?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Haha, what morons, skating on canals.
Anyway, who wants to come skate on the lake for a bit?
leonie-700.jpg

Ma'am, currency don't have ears

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
someone died yesterday here in germany near my city because of this

in germany it's forbidden to skate on lakes or canals unless the local municipality has checked it for safety and allowed it

that's why the police police patrol and and stop people from skating unless it's been deemed safe

falling in and getting hypothermia is just one of the dangers, but people don't really realise how life threatening ice can cut you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget how warm it is in Europe, lucky bastards

Oct 27, 2017
*laughs in Canadian*

*Realizes he lives in Vancouver and will likely never skate on an ODR for the foreseeable future*

*cries in Vancouverite*

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

I cant speak for other European countries, but ice skating is "a big thing" over here in The Netherlands: we don't have hills/mountains and little snow, so its pretty much "everyones hobby" when it starts to freeze for a few days.. Not to mention the hype regarding a potential "legendary" Elfstedentocht . (and current Covid-measures really made people want to go outside).

I am not a skater myself but for many Dutch people learning to skate on ice (and probably get wet or fall into an icehole (? i dont even know if there is an English word for 'wak')) has been part of their youth. That said, local authorities are usually pretty good at managing these things, with also various skating clubs/organisations being vocal about the quality of the ice. But most of the country skates on lakes or ponds, besides Amsterdam there arent that many cities that have proper canals to skate on.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I cant speak for other European countries, but ice skating is "a big thing" over here in The Netherlands: we don't have hills/mountains and little snow, so its pretty much "everyones hobby" when it starts to freeze for a few days. Not to mention the hype regarding a potential "legendary" Elfstedentocht . I am not a skater myself but for many Dutch people learning to skate on ice (and probably get wet or fall into an icehole(? i dont even know if there is an English word for 'wak')) has been part of their youth. That said, local authorities are usually pretty good at managing these things, with also various skating clubs/organisations being vocal about the quality of the ice. But most of the country skates on lakes or ponds, besides Amsterdam there arent that many cities that have proper canals to skate on.
It's been a while I think, because the winters have been so damn mild, but when the weather allows it, Austrians do like skating on the Neusiedlersee for sure.
Lake Neusiedl has a surface area of 122 square miles, with an average depth of 3'3" and a maximum depth of 5'11", which obviously makes it a pretty decent choice for ice skating.
EislaufplatzMitteleuropas.jpg

46-89828393.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Skating on a giant body of frozen water would be fun as hell, because you could just skate in one direction for a really long time.

I'd be afraid of the ice cracking or something though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I cant speak for other European countries, but ice skating is "a big thing" over here in The Netherlands:
That only makes people being super irresponsible and dumb about this all the more baffling. They don't even have the excuse of novelty or ignorance.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That only makes people being super irresponsible and dumb about this all the more baffling. They don't even have the excuse of novelty or ignorance.

well, its quite novel because it will probably be another decade before this happens again. And to be honest, at most places there was some pretty strict oversight regarding crowding. That said, sure, it would be far better if everyone everywhere just stayed inside for a fckng week or 2 so we can just get past this shit :P

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
someone died yesterday here in germany near my city because of this

in germany it's forbidden to skate on lakes or canals unless the local municipality has checked it for safety and allowed it

that's why the police police patrol and and stop people from skating unless it's been deemed safe

falling in and getting hypothermia is just one of the dangers, but people don't really realise how life threatening ice can cut you.
Now that's sad.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I cant speak for other European countries, but ice skating is "a big thing" over here in The Netherlands: we don't have hills/mountains and little snow, so its pretty much "everyones hobby" when it starts to freeze for a few days.. Not to mention the hype regarding a potential "legendary" Elfstedentocht . (and current Covid-measures really made people want to go outside).

I am not a skater myself but for many Dutch people learning to skate on ice (and probably get wet or fall into an icehole (? i dont even know if there is an English word for 'wak')) has been part of their youth. That said, local authorities are usually pretty good at managing these things, with also various skating clubs/organisations being vocal about the quality of the ice. But most of the country skates on lakes or ponds, besides Amsterdam there arent that many cities that have proper canals to skate on.

What really? This whole time I thought winters there was snowy for some reason.

I had a close friend who wanted me to move there, but I was worried about the weather.... being spoiled here in San Francisco.

Which city/town in the Netherlands has year around non-extreme weather? lol

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What really? This whole time I thought winters there was snowy for some reason.

I had a close friend who wanted me to move there, but I was worried about the weather.... being spoiled here in San Francisco.

Which city/town in the Netherlands has year around non-extreme weather? lol

It's mild winters and cool summers, with occasional exceptions. It's not that different from the UK, in general. Since we're a very small country we don't really have different climate zones or anything like that, except some small differences between coast vs continental.