• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Arguably that was due to other already in motion problems that date to decades before, more than the coin itself. Like, you know, corruption in all levels of government. Speaking for Portugal that's still a damn pain in the state owned sectors...
There are more or less 3 major ways to increase competitivity :

1. Cutting salaries
  2. Currency depreciation
  3. Cost reductions through tech innovations / efficiency increase etc
The third is not easy to achieve because , for istance , you are forced to use inefficient supplying system ( in Italy is really difficult to supply firms through trains due to "territory layout" ) , or in mature market major tech breakthrough are harder and harder to get etc...

Before the euro ( let's not consider all the SME shitshow ) the currency exchange rate was "determined" by the market. Now the exchange rate is fixed for all the countries that have the EURO which means , for example , that they can't "compensate" a demand shock with a currency depreciation.

The only instrument left is the first one which has a pretty big problem : it kills internal demand and that is exactly what happened in Italy for istance.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There are more or less 3 major ways to increase competitivity :

1. Cutting salaries
  2. Currency depreciation
  3. Cost reductions through tech innovations / efficiency increase etc
The third is not easy to achieve because , for istance , you are forced to use inefficient supplying system ( in Italy is really difficult to supply firms through trains due to "territory layout" ) , or in mature market major tech breakthrough are harder and harder to get etc...

Before the euro ( let's not consider all the SME shitshow ) the currency exchange rate was "determined" by the market. Now the exchange rate is fixed for all the countries that have the EURO which means , for example , that they can't "compensate" a demand shock with a currency depreciation.

The only instrument left is the first one which has a pretty big problem : it kills internal demand and that is exactly what happened in Italy for istance.
Also, and very importantly, having competent people in all the key/major positions (be it governments, corporations, factories, whatever). Something that in the South of Europe hardly ever happens because other """interests"""" get in the way (ie, corruption and money grabbing bastards take all those places).

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Not being able to devaluate your currency fucked up a ton of countries. Especially the ones with a weak currency that now have a strong one with not competitive edge (for several reasons).

It was a bad idea.

EDIT: At least short term or the way it was done.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I went to the candy shop, got me self some jawbreakers and shiny new euros, it was like getting new Pokemon cards, which was also popular back then.

But everything has become expensive since the euro introduction. You could do a lot with the equivalent of 5 euro before.

I had to convert every price tags in my parent store. It was a pain in the ass.
We had to put the price in Franc and Euro. I used the official exchange rate 1 EUR = 6,55957 FRF and the mathematical rounding. So no "let's up the price while were at it".

During the first few months, every fucking client complained about prices being higher than before (while there were still prices in Franc and they didn't changed!). Also they weren't happy that everything had an odd price like 6.13€, 12.61€, etc. After few months we put every price at X.99€ or Y.49€ and they stopped complaining.
A lot of places where I live already had euro price tags since 1999 or so, years before the transition.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
in Germany people STILL complain how expensive everything is in €. when you tell them to take a look at their salary and convert that to the old currency they usually shut up though.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I left for my traditional family visit in Japan for xmas, when I came back it was in euro. Vegetables and fruits doubled in price at my local stores. Ieeei.

It was however convenient for me, since I imported a lot from Germany and italy (cheaper movies, same region).

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I was a kid but I remember liking the coins a lot, they were really shining and cool. It was a bit cumbersome at first because I used to convert all the prices back and forth to know the value, but it was pretty hassle free in the end all things considered.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I was 13 and it was great. Older people took a while to get used, and everybody would be always converting to the older currency to get an idea of what the value of something was. I think for kids, it was mostly "a game used to cost that, now it costs this, therefore the other thing costs about twice as a game" sort of logic, lmao. Maybe not games, but you get the idea. It's not like at 13 you are handling that much money, really. At least I wasn't.

Oh, and yeah, getting coins from other countries was fun. During the first year, they were really rare outside of touristic areas.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

When were salary cut in Italy?

Italy has a huge problem, which is called inefficient public spending. Also, South of italy is lagging behind. If you look at North of Italy macro indicators they are on par with the South of Germany.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I remember all the prices being shown in DM and €. I also vaguely remember that you could pay with either for some time.

I also remember that my grandpa used to give me a 5DM coin and i way angry about the euro because i only got 2€ from him instead of 5.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I went to Latvia when they were transitioning, I believe it was 2014. They had prices displayed in Euros and in their former currency everywhere, for the first year every shop had to do it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I remember tons of people panicking about it, worrying to no end, but for me it was fine, got used to it within a few weeks